Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekoraks
A stroll in the woods...(with pics)
    #1865401 - 08/30/03 12:30 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Went for a stroll in the woods, not far from where I live, and found some nice mushrooms. No very interesting ones, bu I though I might just share the fun...

The typical growth on the left is my leg. I don't know what species the mushroom is, but I thought it could be one of the ganoderma family. On the other hand, probably it isn't, as the top layer is very hard, like wood.

Found quite a few of these. Not very special, I believe it's piptoporus betulinus, but it's nice to see them in various stages of development.

An interesting mushroom that caught my eye. Haven't been able to id it, maybe someone 'round here could give it a try. Spore print is rusty brown, no bruising. Cap surface is a tad slimy (but it had been raining that day, that coul've caused it). It was growing in small groups on a pile of wood cuttings. It looks like some species of the psilocybe genus to me, though apparently not an active one. Am I being stupid here?

I was already in the car on my way home when I spotted this specimen growing from tha base of an oak tree. I think it's a ganoderma pfeifferi. She's a beauty, isn't she?

I actually found some more species, but the photos weren't all that good, so I didn't post them (f*&%k that Mamiya...hope my Canon'll be  back soon...)

Well, hope you enjoyed the pics. I know they're quite large and that they're hosted on some (for most of us) remote location, but I didn't feel like doing battle with the shroomery upload limit today :smile:

Will post more when I go hunting again (and if I don't get flamed for this post :smile: )!

[edit] Added spore print for the unidentified psilocybe lookalike.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A stroll in the woods... [Re: koraks]
    #1865649 - 08/30/03 02:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice set of photos. You've got lots of polypores around.

Your unknown is interesting. Did you do a spore print on white paper? If so, could you post a photo of it (and let us know how accurate the color seems to be)? I know you said a rusty brown spore print, but the apparently free gills and skirtlike ring don't agree with that color. Also, could you cut it in half vertically and see if the gills are attached to the stem?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: A stroll in the woods... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1865767 - 08/30/03 02:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sporeprint has been added to post. The colour of the picture matches the actual print. The gills have changed colour somewhat, they're brown now. The photo was taken before the mushroom dropped any spores I think, so that explains the initial colour mismatching the colour of the spores. I left the mushroom lying on one of my mushroom guides, where I found it this morning. Underneath was a very heavy dark rusty brown spore print. The print shown in this post is a second print, and a much lighter colour.
The specimen was collected yesterday, the same day the photos were taken. Today, as I said, the gill colour has become much browner, more or less matching the spores.

The gills are not attached to the stem; only to the cap. Where they approach the stem, they sort of curve away from the stem. I'm sorry I'm not able to post a pic of this, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. I added a little drawing to clarify what I'm trying to say.

[edit]I just found picture in one of my guides of clitocybe vibecina. The caps really look very similar, but the habitat doesn't match: clitocybe vibecina inhabits poor grounds, while the species I found was growing from (nutrient-rich) woodchips. Also, I believe clitocybe vibecina has a depression in the middle of the cap, which this species certainly doesn't have, on the contrary.

Edited by koraks (08/30/03 02:57 PM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #1865792 - 08/30/03 02:54 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

One mushroom I forgot to add to the initial post. I haven't been able to identify it. It looks like some kind of bolete, but I really have no idea. Here are the pics:

They were growing in fallen leaves, in the direct vicinity of a birch tree. Cap is smooth and white, with some yellow colorations. No staining effects noted.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1866460 - 08/30/03 06:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Given that spore print color, free gills, and the appearance of the ring on the stem, that's an Agaricus. Unfortunately, Agaricus are difficult to identify to species.

The next step is for you to cut it in half vertically and scrape the inside of one of the halves with your knife edge (not gently - you want to bruise it). Watch for color changes and let us know (they can take up to an hour, so don't let us know until the hour is up). Also, smell it (especially near where the cap and stem join) and let us know if it has a distinctive odor.

Your bolete at first glance looks like Boletus pallidus. Could you scratch the tube surface and let us know if it turns bluish within 30 seconds?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1866941 - 08/30/03 10:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the boletales look like a Leccinum to me from my experience and its overall form and look. from what i see it looks to have dark scabers on the stalk, do the pores bruise brownish (some species), when you cut the stem did it turn very dark blackish, the shape and attachment of the cap resembles a Leccinum very much. identification to species would be quite complicated and would require intricate details.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: A stroll in the woods... [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1867719 - 08/31/03 05:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The next step is for you to cut it in half vertically and scrape the inside of one of the halves with your knife edge (not gently - you want to bruise it). Watch for color changes and let us know (they can take up to an hour, so don't let us know until the hour is up). Also, smell it (especially near where the cap and stem join) and let us know if it has a distinctive odor.

I'm sorry, but the specimen I have here has dried out. I might go back to the spot I found it and do the test you described. About the smell: there was no distinctive odor.

Quote:

the boletales look like a Leccinum to me from my experience and its overall form and look. from what i see it looks to have dark scabers on the stalk, do the pores bruise brownish (some species), when you cut the stem did it turn very dark blackish, the shape and attachment of the cap resembles a Leccinum very much.

I looked into the Leccinum species, but my guide doesn't feature one with this colour, so I wasn't able to put a name to it. I checked for bruising, but nothing apparently discoloured. The coloration on the stem of the lying specimen is probably just rot; the stem was all soggy and rotten when I found it.

As soon as I have more info I'll post it. Now, I gotta run for my next hunt :smile:

Thanks for your time guys!

OfflineGeoSpearit
Stranger
    #1867771 - 08/31/03 06:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yoour UFO looks like a sun burned flying saucer to me.....
I want to say that it is active.....but don't want to catch any heat from the elders patrolling this board. In my experience, that's a goody.

OfflineGeoSpearit
Stranger
Re: A stroll in the woods... [Re: GeoSpearit]
    #1867773 - 08/31/03 06:38 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ive picked azies that look like that after being in the sun.....what state are you in....? ( Unless that's private )

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1868186 - 08/31/03 01:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Leccinum is certainly a good thought for that whitish bolete. If so, it's probably Leccinum holopus. Note that the bruising for Leccinums has to be done within 30 minutes of when you pick it for the color changes to be reliable. Since I'm pretty sure it was longer than that before the post was made, we won't be able to get reliable information on bruising.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblekoraks
    #1868619 - 08/31/03 04:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yoour UFO looks like a sun burned flying saucer to me.....
I want to say that it is active.....but don't want to catch any heat from the elders patrolling this board. In my experience, that's a goody.

I'm afraid it isn't. Whatever it is, I don't recognize it as any of the active species I know. Furthermore, it doesn't bruise blue, as active species resembling this specimen certainly would.

Quote:

Ive picked azies that look like that after being in the sun.....what state are you in....? ( Unless that's private )

Not private, southern half of Holland :smile: I don't think it's psilocybe azurescens, as both stem and cap colors don't match, and there's no bluing reaction upon bruising (these are only the first offhand differences, undoubtedly there are a lot more).

Quote:

Leccinum is certainly a good thought for that whitish bolete. If so, it's probably Leccinum holopus.

I googled leccinum holopus and it came up with this pic:

This actually looks exactly like the species I found out there, this is the first pic of a mushroom that resembles it that much. I couldn't find very much additional info on holopus though, so I'm not 100% sure, but I certainly think we're damn close!

Quote:

Note that the bruising for Leccinums has to be done within 30 minutes of when you pick it for the color changes to be reliable. Since I'm pretty sure it was longer than that before the post was made, we won't be able to get reliable information on bruising.

Actually, I already checked the bruising whithin 5 minutes of finding it. I never took a specimen with me, and the specimen that's lying in the picture was broken off by me, so the bruising-check was within 30 minutes. I read somewhere on the 'net that cut flesh of this species would turn slowly pink when cut, but I didn't cut the specimen, just sort of damaged it a bit with my nail. I didn't remain very long on that spot, so I could very well have missed something, but I did get the impression that it might turn a bit yellowish very slowly. I dismissed this as the top of the cap also had this sort of yellowy color, but on second thought this might have been caused when the cap broke away from the ground.
I also found a resource on the 'net mentioning it having been found growing under a birch tree. I also found my specimen growing under a birch tree, so that also matches nicely.
Anyway, I am convinced that this mushroom must be either leccinum holopus or some species awfully closely related to it.

Invisiblekoraks
    #1873932 - 09/02/03 01:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Update: as for the unidentified mushroom, I guess it's psathyrella candolleana. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this? The only thing I'm uncomfortable with is the spore print. psathyrellae should print black, while this one here prints rusty brown...

OfflinenewAK
Loc: Alaska
    #1873955 - 09/02/03 01:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The spore print for the Psathyrella candolleana is said to be a dark brown almost a brillant brown. Not black. :wink: 

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
Re: A stroll in the woods... [Re: newAK]
    #1874172 - 09/02/03 03:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Nice pictures koraks!
I wonder how the lib season will be in holland this year...i'm really looking forward to go out in the fields again in a few weeks.

Offlinekatriz
Mrs. Mushroomhunter

Loc: state college PA
Re: A stroll in the woods...(with pics) [Re: koraks]
    #1874517 - 09/02/03 04:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Koraks,
Is that a photo of a Blue-Foot Psilocybe? I live in central Pa and have been looking for the blue-foot....but Im having a hard time for Im still learning. I have my field guide. and doing as much research as I can to have better luck.

I have been looking on and around decayed birch and maple

Invisiblekoraks
Re: A stroll in the woods...(with pics) [Re: katriz]
    #1876656 - 09/03/03 06:08 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The spore print for the Psathyrella candolleana is said to be a dark brown almost a brillant brown. Not black.

Ah, thanks. This proves again that I need a better field guide. Any recommendations, someone?

Quote:

Nice pictures koraks!
I wonder how the lib season will be in holland this year...i'm really looking forward to go out in the fields again in a few weeks.

Thanks man! Maybe I'll stumble into you one of these days :wink:

Quote:

Is that a photo of a Blue-Foot Psilocybe? I live in central Pa and have been looking for the blue-foot....but Im having a hard time for Im still learning. I have my field guide. and doing as much research as I can to have better luck.

Nah, sorry man, no psilocybes yet. The only two we're most likely to find in these regions are semilanceata and cyanescens, but haven't found those here either. Yet. I expect them to pup up in a month or so. But then again, this is Holland, so may finds and info may not be very representative for your region.
Oh, and I believe psilocybe caerulipes doesn't occur here at all...bummer!

Offlinekatriz
Mrs. Mushroomhunter

Loc: state college PA
    #1880843 - 09/04/03 12:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh ok thanks..I was very lucky and found 7 liberty caps last night in my friends pasture. we have had so much rain here in PA,usa then it stoped but was very cloudy and cool so they are poping up. I read that they are not to pop up in my area of the usa but they are...well any hoo thanks good luck hunting.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1881987 - 09/04/03 07:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

nice boots i have some of them wall mart texas stear boots and they suck the damn metal shoe lace eye things come off and shit

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisiblekoraks
Re: A stroll in the woods...(with pics) [Re: Psychoslut]
    #1885071 - 09/05/03 01:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

nice boots i have some of them wall mart texas stear boots and they suck the damn metal shoe lace eye things come off and shit

Nice, but these ain't exactly Walmart boots. These are Lowa boots, 'bout $280 a pair :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification