Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Air Pump, Coir, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Hydroponics Supplies, Mycobags, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Noob to casing/fruiting, need some help
    #1865211 - 08/30/03 09:50 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Here's the tub he just bought. He also has 3 8qt bags, or 8.8lbs each of verm and perlite, but he has 2 bags of verm.

The four bags look like this:

They're almost all the way colonized.

Now, what other ingredients does he need to properly do this? Remember, he's never done any growing at all before.

Does anyone have a step-by-step tek for casing? I found a casing tek but it's just jumbled in the world's longest paragraph.

Thanks for your help everybody. I'm pretty excited about this.

If there isn't a step by step tek, and someone wants to write one, there's 20 HBWR seeds in it for ya.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: Noob to casing/fruiting, need some help [Re: Superbowl Bob]
    #1865240 - 08/30/03 10:12 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7972

I've found this tek is the best. And from what I'm reading, I put both the perlite and the verm in separate dishes and bake them in the oven, say, on the highest setting, for about an hour.

Then put perlite in my tupperware bin, 1/2". Then add crumbled cake and put the lid on the bin. Then, 24 hours later, add 1/2" of sterilized verm? And that's it???? Just fan it twice a day, 12 hours of light?

Should the lid be on tight, or just loose?

Offlinegarbage

#1865254 - 08/30/03 10:33 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23805 and just verm as your casing mix. afoaf was in the same exact situation, mycobag and all. and he should have shrooms within a week now.

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #1865276 - 08/30/03 11:03 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Get a light proof tray or line in foil (so you don't get invitro growing shrooms), add some sterile field capacity casing mix to base (1/2 inch deep), crumble up cakes or grain on top and finish with another field capacity sterile casing layer on top of that (1/2 inch).

Light:
What comes in through a closed blinds. If you can see the casing in a dim room, that's enough. No need for fancy lights. Use "fancy lights" on mull instead. :wink:

Fan:
As often as you can and run air pump too on 24/0 or add a small computer fan with a polyfil filter for mpre grunt exchange. 

Casing:
Break coir up and soak in water in a pyrex bowl. Whatever that volume becomes, add vermiculite to be 40% of that volume. Just eye-ball it, no need to be precise. Just keep adding water to the coir until you get it moist and fluffy, then add the vermiculite and then add more water so it's very sloppy.

Then 10 minutes with cling film on top of the bowl and into a microwave. The bell will ring, take it out and give it a good stir with a spoon or fork. Then pop it back into the microwave for another 10 minutes. Have the bowl on a dinner plate, it's going to get very hot.

Basically, the 20 minutes all up will evaporate off the excess water and it will be sterile. It will come down to field capacity. A gentle handful squeeze and a few drops drip out. Let it cool either slow on the bench or faster in a sink filled with cold tap water.

Now I don't like lime/shells, they fill up the all important air filled porosity of the coir/vermiculite and make the material very dense. Just like how concrete is dense, fines with larger aggregates. Sux on casings IMO. I tried it a few times to make casings of 7.1pH to 7.3pH and every time was a fuckup.

Have a look at what happened my way using lime/shells. This example shows an anaerobic bacterial contamination. Note the peripheral over lay. Note how it's like a hard pan on top and the mycelium not making it through. Yeah, because it became a clay with the shells and lime added. Now I did attempt to scrape the pH adjusted casing off and put on a straight 60/40, but it was too late, the damage was done and the flush was shithouse.

I only 60/40 now (despite the litmus pH tests confirming it at 6.3pH) and no, I haven't seen acidity clock to the detriment of the casing.

Besides, I reckon there's not much point going yonder 3rd flush when new casings are more productive in area/volume use. Easier to just keep it all simple. I don't clean the microwave out or wear gloves. Just wash your hands in soap before the job.

BTW, what are you using perlite for? That won't hold water in a casing, it would though add air but it's not needed in 60/40 or 50/50 or even straight coir or straight vermiculite.

Perlite however is a great hydroponic inert media for that reason, as it is too in propagation mix for seedlings/cuttings in soiless application. More air = better health in the respiration of roots but I can't see it being much chop in shroom substrate/casing use???...though I have read perlite can be used as a cheap bulk ingredient in spawn making. Different animal.

Go buy a brick of coir. Use the perlite in your hydro Canna-grow or to jack up the terrarium R/H if you're PF cake running?   

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Noob to casing/fruiting, need some help [Re: Starter]
    #1865301 - 08/30/03 11:27 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

ah, I just worked out what you want the perlite for, drainage in the base of the tray. Never needed it. Shrooms suck the life out of tray, it's lack of water that's the problem IMO.

One more thing, the coir changes colour to a light brown and that tells you the casing is getting dry. It's hard to tell with straight vermiculite how moist it is, or is not.

--------------------

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
    #1865310 - 08/30/03 11:39 AM (14 years, 24 days ago)

Don't know exactly what you mean by "field capacity". Again, I'm a noob.

So I need a light proof tray, or those black trays you get at Lowes or whatever (cheap plastic ones)?

Then sterilize the 50/50 mix, then put it in the TRAY, then crumble the substrate/grain mixture onto the 50/50 layer, then put another layer of 50/50 on top of that? And then just put that in my clear plastic bin? Don't lay it on perlite?

And about sterilizing my bin, should I just lysol the whole thing and wipe it down?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1865371 - 08/30/03 12:13 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

>>>Don't know exactly what you mean by "field capacity". Again, I'm a noob.

After you've made your casing, just hold a handful of it, give it a gentle squeeze and a few drops should come out of it. If you store the surplus casing in a zip bag, there shouldn't be a puddle in the bottom of the bag.

>>>So I need a light proof tray, or those black trays you get at Lowes or whatever (cheap plastic ones)?

Cheap and light proof is best. Light proof plastic (regardless of colour) is better than aluminum. I've noticed mycelium chews through aluminium foil lined ice cream containers. I had to line the ice cream containers as they were not light proof. BTW, if you have to line in foil, do it on the inside and not the outside. Less chance of it tearing or coming loose where light will enter and the fruits grow invitro.

As for the holes in the foil by the mycelium, I can only guess it's due to the acidity of the mycelium? Can someone chime in and give the dance mix on why?

>>>Then sterilize the 50/50 mix, then put it in the TRAY, then crumble the substrate/grain mixture onto the 50/50 layer, then put another layer of 50/50 on top of that? And then just put that in my clear plastic bin?

That will work fine. You can go with this...1/2" base casing, 2" to 3" grain mixture and topped off with 1/2" casing.

>>>Don't lay it on perlite?

If you've got your base layer and top layer of casing material at field capacity, then why would you need a drainage aggregate (perlite) at the bottom? You only spray with water when you note the casing layer getting dry. In fact, better to use a syringe to water around the pins to avoid aborts from errant over throw of sprayed water.

All the same, why not do two casings...

1.) with top and bottom casing
2.) next with perlite drainage layer (in case you're a heavy hand with water?)

...compare the two. You'll never know what's best for you unless you experiment.

For what it's worth, I have drainage holes on my trays (as they're plastic planter tubs). They make it easy to submerge the whole tray under water between flushes for 6 to 8hrs and then they're left on the the sink to drain for an hour. Add some new field capacity casing to fill up the holes from where shrooms were picked and then back to the fruiting chamber with a catch tray on the casing tray. Simple.

Planter tubs you should be able to get in the garden section of supermarkets/hardware-stores. Just make sure they're light proof. The black trays you spoke of, never seen them but they should be ok. (I'm not in the US to know what's there?)

>>>And about sterilizing my bin, should I just lysol the whole thing and wipe it down?

I just wash out the last casing muck with some dish washing detergent in the kitchen sink and rinse well. No rituals. No drama. On it rolls again.

Terrarium clean up, bleach water is ok. Can't get lysol in Australia.

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1865386 - 08/30/03 12:26 PM (14 years, 24 days ago)

One last thing, you can use that clear tub you have, but you'd want to light proof the bottom of it to the floor level of substrate/casing, with black tape or foil or black plastic (like what's used in underlay for concrete work) or even heavy black garbage bag plastic and tape down.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Air Pump, Coir, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose, Hydroponics Supplies, Mycobags, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation