Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheDoc
Loc: Tahawus, NY
Returning user, water bath question
    #1862524 - 08/29/03 01:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all, I'm back after a few years off with a new handle. Don't really see anyone I remember so just let me say I'm glad the Shroomery is still alive and kick'in!

On to the questions.

Has anyone tried (with success) putting about 2-3in of water in the base of a Sterilite or other box and heating it with a fish tank heater to the desired temp (for AIR temp in box, not water). Then build a simple platform out of small PVC pipe and plastic shelving of some sort to hold jars/trays/whathaveyou about 1in above the water. SEEMS at first thought like this would be a steady heat source that would also supply as much humidity as you needed. I'd be using an external pump/heater but to the same effect.

Air circulation would be via piped in HEPA air. 1in poly tubing from home built manifold to 1in nipple on Sterilite, filtered exhaust on the other side of the box low down for C02 release. Exhaust covered on the outside to reduce "blow back" and loss of moisture

Thoughts, links, observations?

TheDoc

--------------------
I'm a liar. All posts are thoeretical only. If I claim to have grown or be in the process of growing and mushroom other than legal edible mushrooms I'm full of uncomposted crap or am a fed sitting in the cubical next to yours... Or maybe I'm undercover, so don't blow my cover. Go away.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSam_Kohui
if you onlyknew...

Re: Returning user, water bath question [Re: TheDoc]
    #1862537 - 08/29/03 01:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

what was your old handle??

--------------------
The PF Tek...it's a piece of cake (the BRF kind :cool: )

OfflineTheDoc
Re: Returning user, water bath question [Re: Sam_Kohui]
    #1862567 - 08/29/03 02:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Shaker. Way back in the day. 1997-99 or into 2000-01.

--------------------
I'm a liar. All posts are thoeretical only. If I claim to have grown or be in the process of growing and mushroom other than legal edible mushrooms I'm full of uncomposted crap or am a fed sitting in the cubical next to yours... Or maybe I'm undercover, so don't blow my cover. Go away.

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: Returning user, water bath question [Re: TheDoc]
    #1863039 - 08/29/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

some people do that, but put the heater in one sterilite container, and put another one inside of that. It would be easier than building a rack, IMO. I hope this is what you were looking for!

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflineTheDoc
Re: Returning user, water bath question [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1863678 - 08/29/03 09:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well I'm not really going to use a fish tank heater. I've got a couple of heater/pump combos that will heat the water to a desired temp and then circulate it at a rate of up to 50gph. Not bad for a groundscore.

Anyway a shelf would be easy to cobble together so maybe I'll try both ways and see what works better overall. With the tub in a tub method is the inner tub uncovered? With or without a drip shield? I was going to put a shield over the shelf.

TheDoc

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation