Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars
    #18616714 - 07/26/13 08:56 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

hey how's it going. I have started a grow kit from caligrowkits.com and I inoculated the six 1/2 pint jars about two weeks ago and I can see a few spots of green mold in 3 jars and a greyish mold on the bottom of one jar. the thick white mold is there as well from the inoculation. I have them in an incubator at 83° and 80% humidity. I did not open the jars at all they came pre sterilized and already had the tape on top over the holes. I inoculated with Thai lipa yais. what should I do?

Edited by zanthor5023 (07/26/13 09:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemshaw21
I think i just

Loc: Out of Town Flag
Re: mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars [Re: zanthor5023]
    #18616765 - 07/26/13 09:08 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Read more.

--------------------
crossed the line:mushroom2:

Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
Re: mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars [Re: mshaw21]
    #18616865 - 07/26/13 09:25 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

thank you captain obvious. should I just toss these as that's what's I've read I just wanted to make sure it was due to sterilization and not from having in incubator

OfflineMidnight Cyclone
StrangerDanger
Loc: oo ess aye oo ess aye Flag
    #18616898 - 07/26/13 09:33 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mshaw21 said:
Read more.

Ouch.

Quote:

I inoculated the six....

It doesn't matter if the jars come pre-sterilized, as soon as YOU do something then they can become infected.. as you see. It could have been the needle, it could have been the spore solution, it could have been the substrate inside the jar wasn't truly pre-sterilized. You'll never know. :shrug:

Quote:

I have them in an incubator at 83° and 80% humidity

First, incubators are mostly unnecessary. And 83F is way too hot. This is the prime reason incubators are looked down upon by many; noobs (not meant as a slight towards you) tend to make them too warm and end up breeding bad mold instead of good mycelium! The mycelium itself generates heat, so the inside of your jars are at least 85F I'd guess... which is like 5-7F higher than you ever want them to be.

Colonizing jars should generally sit on a shelf at room temperature, unless you live in the tundras of Russia and just can't maintain temperatures between 65 and 80F

Humidity is irrelevant during the colonization phase of a jar.

Quote:

what should I do?

If you have "healthy" jars, hold on to them until they fully colonize. Then go about your plan for fruiting.

If you don't have anything that's healthy, start over. But don't start over until you

Quote:

mshaw21 said:
Read more.

Good luck, we were all beginners at one point. Keep your head up :thumbup:

EDIT:

And yes of course toss the contaminated ones. DON'T OPEN THEM INSIDE!

Edited by Midnight Cyclone (07/26/13 09:37 PM)

Offlinemshaw21
I think i just

Re: mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars [Re: Midnight Cyclone]
    #18616928 - 07/26/13 09:39 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

okay that was rude.

but still.

--------------------

OfflineMidnight Cyclone
StrangerDanger
Loc: oo ess aye oo ess aye Flag
    #18616981 - 07/26/13 09:49 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mshaw21 said:
okay that was rude.

but still.

I can't tell if you're talking about the first, very short comment you made, or OP saying captain obvious.

I only find one of those rude.

Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
Re: mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars [Re: Midnight Cyclone]
    #18617105 - 07/26/13 10:15 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

ok yea I admit I'm a noob and this is my 1st clutch. so I have tossed the 4 jars and taken the other two out of the incubator and put them in a room that averages 75°  and I agree mistakes are going to be made due to this being my 1st time and its lesson learned so I have sterilized 6 more jars and put a rye flour substrate mixture and will inoculate them with an Amazon strain of spores I have in the morning. thank you for the advice midnight cyclone thank you for helping me and as for being rude mshaw21. I asked for some advice as a noob on here and yours is too read more and I have but I had some questions afterwards and given I should've known about this before inoculation but this is how I learn so for you to tell me I'm rude after you are the one being short with me on here after me asking for advice then don't say anything if you don't have anything worthwhile to say

Offlineshamanamba
The Shaman
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18617220 - 07/26/13 10:37 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zanthor5023 said:
they came pre sterilized]

Did these pre-sterilized jars come with any indication of when they were sterilized? If they were sitting up for weeks before being sent out to you then its very possible that the shipper just pressure cooked them and called them sterilized. Pressure cooking doesn't completely sterilize a majority of the time, it's more used to knock back everything else so your fresh and healthy spores can get a decent foot hold and colonize fast enough to choke out any other organisms.

Contaminated jars will usually fruit early and as much as it can before it gets eaten by the contamination, so if you can, just keep it in the jar til you see mushrooms and then fruit them out doors.

The green ones anyway...

Trich is only harmful to the mushrooms. Don't try to deal with black/brown/grey molds. They're more likely to be something that'll mess you up in a bad way. If you're in a living situation that allows for out door growing, do that with the green ones.

everything black/brown/grey/pink/yellow/etc... pressure cook it for an hour and dispose of contents inside a plastic bag (meaning have the bag around everything as you open the jar and force out the substrate. wash your hands and face well afterwards. you never know what that could be growing.

--------------------
The Shaman

Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
Re: mold on 1/2 pint inoculated jars [Re: shamanamba]
    #18617280 - 07/26/13 10:50 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

ok so I took the ones with green mold and isolated them by themselves. they have good white mold growth and just a little green mold bit I know if just a little bit of green mold is showing there is a ton of invisible spores that can't be seen. if I fruit these jars in an aquarium with hydroton by themselves it will be ok and the mushrooms won't be toxic?

Offlineshamanamba
The Shaman
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18617298 - 07/26/13 10:54 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

no dont fruit them in a fruiting chamber. out doors. no the trich won't be toxic, but the spores might result in coughing and sneezing and stuffy sinuses etc...

Also, fruiting contaminated substrate inside will practically doom future attempts at growing in that house.

--------------------
The Shaman

Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
    #18617310 - 07/26/13 10:56 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

and no they did did not say when they were sterilized but two of the jars have no other type of mold except the white mold so I ruled out the spore inoculation needle and I flame sterilized after every jar insertion so I think that caligrowkits is a crock of BS. I sterilized my own substrate in a pressure cooker this time myself so I know its ok but you never know.if anything I know what not to do so its all valuable experience and will learn from it

Offlinezanthor5023
Stranger
    #18617316 - 07/26/13 10:58 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

so I live in south tx and averages 95° outside with 90% humidity so should I just toss these 4 cakes?

Offlinemshaw21
I think i just

#18617436 - 07/26/13 11:24 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Midnight Cyclone said:
Quote:

mshaw21 said:
okay that was rude.

but still.

I can't tell if you're talking about the first, very short comment you made, or OP saying captain obvious.

I only find one of those rude.

i'm talking about what i said.

Quote:

zanthor5023 said:
ok yea I admit I'm a noob and this is my 1st clutch. so I have tossed the 4 jars and taken the other two out of the incubator and put them in a room that averages 75°  and I agree mistakes are going to be made due to this being my 1st time and its lesson learned so I have sterilized 6 more jars and put a rye flour substrate mixture and will inoculate them with an Amazon strain of spores I have in the morning. thank you for the advice midnight cyclone thank you for helping me and as for being rude mshaw21. I asked for some advice as a noob on here and yours is too read more and I have but I had some questions afterwards and given I should've known about this before inoculation but this is how I learn so for you to tell me I'm rude after you are the one being short with me on here after me asking for advice then don't say anything if you don't have anything worthwhile to say

I was talking about when i said 'read more' i was being rude.

And still my advice is to read more. 

Quote:

zanthor5023 said:
so I live in south tx and averages 95° outside with 90% humidity so should I just toss these 4 cakes?

yes throw them out side! what i do...which is pretty lazy but works... is just break up the contamed cakes and cover them with peat moss and/or verm and wet it down.

im living in an extremely dry climate and believe it or not it works in 25% humidity...but also i let my grass grow tall so it hovers above my patties...o yeah(sometimes i throw manure in as well)...Also another note, pasteurizing isnt a bad idea either if you want to look into that!

so the grass hovers over my patties and it keeps up the humidity i guess?  They get watered 3 times a day along with everything else in my garden.

Also, 

What is this white mold you speak of? Are you reffering to mycelium or did i miss something?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation