Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
XP Home vs. XP Professional
    #1860260 - 08/28/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I will be building a new computer shortly. I currently run ME but will be upgrading to XP with my new hardware. I do not work in an office, I am normally the only one who uses my computer and it is behind a firewall/router. I do not want to share files over a network, I do not want to even contemplate having remote access, I have no need for my PC to be used by other computers to access the internet. Are there any real advantages of the Professional version of XP vs. the Home Edition for my case? I didn't find any compelling reasons to pick the Pro version on Microsoft's website. I would appreciate any opinions and experiences.

Thanks.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewingnutx

Re: XP Home vs. XP Professional [Re: Autonomous]
    #1861260 - 08/28/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

unless you are setting up a domain at home, then no. that's the only difference that I know of.

I vpn in to my work LAN a lot, so I actually need that part.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: XP Home vs. XP Professional [Re: Autonomous]
    #1861663 - 08/29/03 02:23 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

As long as you're not doing any networking and you don't care much about security,then I see no reason to use professional. If you're worried about security,you shouldn't be using Windoze anyway.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlineriffic
Male
Re: XP Home vs. XP Professional [Re: monoamine]
    #1863075 - 08/29/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

stolen from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
Quote:

Ask yourself these five questions to find out which one is right for you:

Do you want to remotely access your computer so you can work with all your data and applications while away from your desk?

Remote Desktop, a feature found only in Windows XP Professional, lets you set up your computer for connection from any other Windows-based computer. Leave a file at home? Don't want to lug a laptop around? Remote Desktop gives you access to your computer from virtually anywhere. More about Remote Desktop.

Do you connect to a large network?

Windows XP Professional is best for people who connect to large networks, such as a school or office network, since it allows you to join and be managed by a Windows domain. More about joining networks.

Do you need to protect sensitive data in files and folders that are stored on your computer?

The Encrypting File System (EFS), found in Windows XP Professional but not Windows XP Home Edition, allows you to encrypt your files and folders for added security of sensitive data against theft or hackers. Restricted File Access, also found only in Professional, allows you to restrict access to selected files, applications, and other resources. More about EFS.

Do you need the ability to completely restore your system in the event of a catastrophic failure?

Windows XP Professional provides more robust options for backing up and restoring data than Home Edition. More about System Restore and other restore options.

Would you consider yourself a "power user"?

Windows XP Professional contains a number of incremental features too numerous to list here. Suffice it to say, users who demand the most from their computers will want to "go Pro." Some additional features found only in Windows XP Professional are:

# Advanced networking for multiple PC environments
# Internet Information Services (IIS), a Windows XP Professional feature that lets you host and manage personal Web sites
# Support for multiple-processor systems
# Support for multiple languages

Jump to top Pages: 1