Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim
    #1747624 - 07/25/03 09:52 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/Content/news/story.asp?datetime=24+Jul+2003+20%3A13&tbrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=News&category=News&brand=ESTOnline&itemid=IPED24+Jul+2003+16%3A14%3A09%3A707

Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim

July 24, 2003 20:13

AMERICAN health campaigners have demanded the right to follow the example of Ipswich's Purple Shop.

The Evening Star last week revealed how the store was selling hallucinogenic magic mushrooms and peyote over the counter.

Now campaigners supporting sufferers of cluster headaches have contacted The Evening Star to demand the same rights in America.

Some research suggests the psilocybin present in magic mushrooms could be used to treat the agonising headaches.

Tom DiStefano, of Clarion Pennsylvania, contacted The Evening Star after reading about our expose.

He said: "We cluster headache sufferers in the U.S. would love to be able to purchase psilocybin mushrooms over the counter.

"Hell, we would love to be able to get them on a prescription basis.

"Instead, upstanding, law-abiding citizens risk their reputations and careers ? and sometimes their freedom ? to find relief from a condition so painful it leads some to suicide."

Cluster headaches are rare, but devastating for sufferers. They strike unpredictably, but will usually re-occur at about the same time for days or even weeks.

They cause intense pain, usually behind one eye, and often lead to swelling and pain in the eyes and nose.

Sufferers are often left in such agony they are led to banging their head against the wall in an attempt to detract from the searing pain.

There are several treatments available from doctors. But campaign group Clusterbusters believes psilocybin provides more reliable and sustainable pain relief.

Mr DiStefano said: "This is not a joke. This is not a scam. I am one of a small group of sufferers investigating the use of indole-ring hallucinogens to treat cluster headaches.

"The anecdotal evidence we have collected seems to indicate these drugs are more than 80 per cent successful ? better than any known medication, over-the-counter or prescription."

n What do you think? Are you or a member of you family plagued by cluster headaches? Would you like to see experiments on the medical use of psiolcybin?

Contact The Evening Star at 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, by email at starnews@eveningstar.co.uk or by telephone on 01473 324789.

Factfile

Cluster headaches are rare, but seem to occur more frequently in men.

Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll was known to suffer from migraine

The cause of cluster headaches is unknown. They do not appear to be related to other illnesses or to run in families.

* People who think they may be suffering from them should keep a diary of attacks to take to their doctor.

* Sufferers should try to maintain a normal lifestyle pattern during outbreaks. They should also stay away from alcohol completely.

* The condition is usually treated with a regular dose of medicine before attacks with a top-up for when the headaches strike. There are a number of different treatments available.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger
Loc: under a pine
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: motaman]
    #1747971 - 07/25/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

:eek:wtf ?! Does it really do something against the headhache's pain ?!

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: KOPELANDIAA]
    #1748215 - 07/25/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

sweet :smile: good news hope people actually contact them and get something started :laugh: what a great day

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: socratesmind]
    #1748487 - 07/25/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: motaman]
    #1748947 - 07/25/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

My wife suffered from debilitating migraine headaches
for many years. Batteries of tests didn't reveal the
cause of the headaches and she was told she would
have to just live with them, treating the migraines with
pharms that were ineffective at best.

For a migraine sufferer, there are warning signs to an
impending episode. Prior to the full symptoms setting in,
the headache can be virtually stopped by drinking a tea
made with a quarter dose of a recreational dose. (Dosage
depends on the individual's tolerance). A quarter gram was
enough for my wife's headache.

Migraine sufferers typically have "cycles" in their headache
history. In other words, headaches may come with
regularity every year, six months, 3 months, monthly,
weekly, or even daily. It has been reported (and in my
household - proven) that the use of psilocybin in the halting
of these debilitating headaches actually extends the time
between the cycles, to eventually becoming a rarity to even
have a headache.

Cluster headaches are also known as "suicide headaches"
because they are intensely painful and without major
drug intervention, drive the sufferer to suicide.

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

InvisibleMycoFactory
Mr MycoBag

Loc: NC, USA
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: Seuss]
    #1749481 - 07/25/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.maps.org/mmj/0200cluster.html
http://www.geocities.com/ClusterBusters2002/
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/ Do a search for mushrooms, they are there but they are old posts.
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php3?ID=4219
I'm sure there are more sites out there some place.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: KOPELANDIAA]
    #1755292 - 07/28/03 06:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Psilocybin/psilocin and LSD and presumably other psychedelics based on the indole-ring
structure do indeed work extremely well in the treatment of cluster headaches and migraines.

That is the reason why I got back into cultivating them. I am a clusterhead.
My "cycles" (periods where I will be hit with multiple cluster headaches every day) would
usually last anywhere from 5 to 7 months. I would usually get between 8 and 11 months remission between cycles... sometimes a few months longer.

My last cycle (in 2002) was aborted completely by taking several separate doses of shrooms spaced
about five days apart. In each case I took enough to achieve a solid "Level two" experience. Instead
of lasting the usual 6 months, the cycle lasted a matter of weeks.

Just over a month ago (sixteen months after I had ended the 2002 cycle), I started getting the
usual warning signs that another cycle was about to begin. I waited a few days to be absolutely
sure that I wasn't misinterpreting the symptoms; that I really was at the beginning of a new cycle --
then I took a small dose (just barely "Level 2") of some Puerto Rican aborts. While I was still
under the effect of the dose, the symptoms vanished completely. Within hours of the dose wearing
off, the symptoms returned stronger than ever -- to the point where I could honestly describe
them as an actual Cluster Headache, albeit it a fairly mild one. The next two days I got hit a few
times with some more mild headaches, and I thought it would be necessary to do a followup
dose.
But then the symptoms started fading out steadily, to the point where ten days later I had to
concentrate really hard to detect them at all. So I held off taking a second dose, and now,
five weeks after that single small dose, I am completely symptom-free.

They work like magic for me and for almost all "episodic" clusterheads who have tried them.
The success rate is not as high for "chronic" clusterheads (those who NEVER get remissions, but
get the headaches every day of their lives),
but the success rate even for chronics is over fifty per cent, with some chronics receiving truly
spectacular results.

This ain't bullshit, it really works. Thanks to shrooms, I no longer have to quit my job six months
out of every year and roll around in excruciating agony up to five times every twenty-four hours.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: Phred]
    #1758110 - 07/28/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

they have a medical use for them which means legaly they should be removed from schedule one,but the dea would never let that happen.

--------------------
Mice have feelings

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: JameZTheNewbie]
    #1761799 - 07/30/03 02:14 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Most drugs in C1 have possible medical uses.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: JameZTheNewbie]
    #1860303 - 08/28/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JameZTheNewbie said:
they have a medical use for them which means legaly they should be removed from schedule one

So does pot :frown:

I actully heard a DEA agent say this tho. If a substance is schedule I its not getting out as a medicine, since it needs to have *accepted* medical value and it cant be accepted if its illegal :confused: So they said no matter how many tests are done on pot it aint passing...

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: DailyPot]
    #1861713 - 08/29/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

C1 is a major catch-22. You need studies to establish medical uses, but since substances in this category are defined as having no medical value and the category is so restrictive,it's extremely difficult to get licenses from the DEA and FDA to work with them.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Shrooms are cool for headaches: claim [Re: DailyPot]
    #1862028 - 08/29/03 07:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is nothing new...  I mean its nice to see it in the news again.  Research in cluster headaches has been around for years.

Its a true shame that a natural and easy to grow fungi can change peoples lives, yet they have to risk so much for their own well being.

:frown:

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineSewell
Stranger
DEA Scheduling of psilocybin [Re: Lana]
    #5977146 - 08/18/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Phred and JameZTheNewbie are incorrect. Once the FDA approves psilocybin for treatment of cluster headache, the DEA has no choice but to reschedule. The most likely scenario is "split scheduling", i.e. Schedule III for medical use and Schedule I for nonmedical use, same as GHB.

Incidentally, any clusterheads reading this who are using or considering using psilocybin and who are not in my database already should contact me at asewell@mclean.harvard.edu.

Andrew Sewell MD

OfflineLiquid_Dimension
Lighthousekeeper
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Radioactive state
Re: DEA Scheduling of psilocybin [Re: Sewell]
    #5977652 - 08/19/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

geez,help these people out and let them have mushies dammit.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: DEA Scheduling of psilocybin [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #5977845 - 08/19/06 04:13 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

i cann't help but think that if harvard could release some kind of article to a newspaper it would do a great deal (purhaps a double edged sword, write the news and the dea and make a point that the dea has a copy and needs to give a answer)...purhaps a article in general relating to the fact at hand.

many drugs that are schedule 1 have many medical uses, and the gov. is restricting that...effectivly denieing patients a potental medicene which "could" save there lifes or make it less painful for them than modern drugs.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (08/19/06 04:15 AM)

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: DEA Scheduling of psilocybin [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #5978027 - 08/19/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

A more thourough analysis of the effects of psilocybin on cluster headaches needs to be performed.

Many people continuously cite the recent publication saying: "Look a Harvard study shows the benefits of psilocybin on cluster headaches".

Unfortunately that publication is rather weak. A self-selected internet survey is not going to convince any of the "higher ups" of the effectiveness of mushrooms on clusters. Whats needed is a more carefully designed, placebo controlled study examining these effects.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds