Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: Usa
i would like an id, no pics though
    #1859648 - 08/28/03 03:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ok
I went camping again last night, and the night before there was a storm, so the ground was nice and moisty and I figured i would find better specimins than I did last time during a small drought. Heres What I found
A. Bolete-Found in mossy area near pine
Cap was tan/light orange, about 2-3 inches
Pores were yellow/green Gave a dark brown print
Stem was kinda thick in the middle, It was white and did not bruise
B. Another Bolete-found under pine near mossy area
Cap was brown/tan about 1-2 inches
Stem was white with dirty lines (when I say dirty lines, I mean the stem was kinda rough, and it looked like someone rubbed dirt on it, so it stuck to the rough edges) about 2-3 inches tall
Bruised a very deep purple at first, then eventually turned black
Pores were dirty white/tan gave a rusty brown spore print
C. Unknown, resembled a agaricus...I found three specimens in different stages:
Found under pine, 2 caps where dome shaped with light brown spots, and 1 cap was flatter with light brown spots. All mushrooms still had veil attached. After removing veil from the underside, gills where white with a very slight tinge of pink. Cap colors where tan.
Stems ranged from 4 inches to the biggest being about 6-7 inches tall. Where i pulled it from the ground, and from where I cut off the cap, the stems bruised red, and eventually rusty brownish red. No spores fell, and if they did, they were so white that I couldnt see them
Oh yeah, and the caps had very tiny slits in them, only a few, probably just bug damage, had a slight red bruise around each one
All mushrooms had a regular shroomy smell to them, nothing gross or sweet.
I wish I had pictures, but my budget does not allow me to have any. Any help is appreciated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: i would like an id, no pics though [Re: HarvestTheBrain]
    #1859742 - 08/28/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Pretty good descriptions, though.

#1 is from the genus Boletus (or possibly one of the very close ones near it). Would you please bruise the pore surface (under the cap) and see if it bruises blue to green within 30 seconds? Also, let us know if the stem is reticulate (has small, net-like ridges on the surface, especially near the top).

#2 sounds like a Leccinum species. From the bruising reaction, it's probably one of the Leccinum insigne complex of species. They are mostly edible, but we know of at least one species which has caused some stomach upsets and diarrhea. So if you want to eat it, cut it in half vertically and save half in the refrigrator overnight (that half is for the emergency room people in case you get sick). There's a pretty good key to Leccinum here, as well as lots of photos and links.

#3 sounds like it could be either an Agaricus, Lepiota, or Amanita. From your description it's probably an Agaricus. The red stainers are edible, but should be treated as any mushroom you've never eaten before. Before you consider eating it, give it a day or so and see if it doesn't develop the normal Agaricus brown spore print. If not, definitely don't eat it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: Usa
Re: i would like an id, no pics though [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1859889 - 08/28/03 04:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the info:
#1 unfortunatly, i left them at the camp site, but I will be (hopefully) going there again for labor day weekend to find more...there was a big hole in the pores, probably from bug damage, but there was no bruising around that, and from what I can remember, the stalk was reticulate...it looked like ir had smallridges all over it.
#2 Thank you for the link, much info
#3 I picked these yesterday (wednsday) and I let 2 caps print for a little less than 24 hours, and there was no print when I left today.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures