Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewingnutx
He Had A Dream (Part 1)
    #1859001 - 08/28/03 03:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

He Had A Dream (Part 1)

August 28, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Bob Parks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of years ago while driving on the 405 into work one morning, I heard a radio interview with writer Shelby Steele. He made a comment that Dr. Martin Luther King?s parents were staunch Republicans. I know not of where he got that information but unlike others, when conservatives lie and get caught, they lose all credibility. I took comfort taking him at his word.

It prompted me to make a call to someone I know in D.C. to find out what Dr. King?s party affiliation was. One would think someone who is ?owned? by the Democrats would be one. Conversely the argument can be made that children tend to share the same values as their parents.

However, my research came up dry, which puzzles me. If Dr. King were a Democrat, it would be in our face. But no such pronouncement has ever been made. I suspect Dr. King was an Independent purely for the appearance of neutrality.

On its 40-year anniversary, I will attempt to interpret Dr. King?s legendary speech. I am not an Ivy League scholar. I am not an African Studies laureate. I am not a famous historian. I am just a black conservative who just may see things a bit differently than liberals would allow me to if they could stop me.

There are certain phrases in the ?I Have A Dream? speech that could make the argument that Dr. King was conservative. So I won?t be accused of taking something out of context, I?ll examine the entire speech?.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity.

The ?great American? Dr. King is obviously referring to was President Abraham Lincoln (R).

But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the Negro is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition.

Dr. King delivered this speech during the tail end of the Civil Rights Movement and on the eve of the Republican-led passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Until then, unbridled discrimination against Blacks was real. But if he were to deliver this speech today, that paragraph would acknowledge that legalized racism is a thing of the past. No one is forcing Blacks to live on the ?lonely island of poverty?, although that?s where some white liberals would expect to find us.

Even though most liberals picture Blacks as poverty-stricken and down-trodden despite the ?vast ocean of material prosperity?, many Blacks today own at least one color television, one car, stereo system, have air conditioning, nice clothes, jewelry, maybe a computer, and at first glance seem fairly well fed. The people who bewail American Blacks as some of the most impoverished in the world are simply ignorant, liars, or maybe a combination of both. Sure, things could be better but for the most part, opportunity is there for whoever applies themselves

Instead, liberals have been allowed to segregate Blacks into the housing project mindset. We as a people are expected to bow down and kiss the feet of a liberal government massah who feeds us with degradation notions like food stamps and provides our ?expected? illegitimate children with a substandard education that would never be tolerated in white communities.

Liberals always claim to want to ?help? us but their overall success track record really sucks. They play on emotion by pointing out racism whether real or not in an effort to give us just one reason to ?need? them.

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check which has come back marked "insufficient funds.? But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check -- a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice. We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all of God's children. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

For the most part and thanks to many people fighting many little battles, the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuits of happiness are pretty well attainable. By the way, attainable means earned. Although it?s there, it takes longer to secure any of those things if you wait for them to come to you.

America hasn?t defaulted on the promise. Liberals have, and have done so ever since they tried to rewrite history (and voting record) by self-proclaiming themselves as the ?Party of Civil Rights?.

It can be considered "insufficient funds? when certain people promise Blacks the answers to problems and don?t deliver. It can be considered "insufficient funds? when certain people treat Blacks like children that can?t take care of themselves and should be pitied. It can be considered "insufficient funds? when certain people forgive bad behavior as they would that of their dogs: ?They don?t know any better.? It can be considered "insufficient funds? when certain people spend decades promising a gradualism resulting in our present-day formula of segregation.

Bob Parks

Bob Parks is a former Republican congressional candidate (California 24th District), Navy veteran, dad, graphic designer, producer/composer, and New England Patriots fan. Bob can be heard Saturdays and Sundays at 8pm Eastern, 5pm Pacific on the Los Angeles-based June Cain Miller radio talk show (KRLA 870am), or live online at http://www.krla870.com/.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/p/parks/03/parks082803.htm

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: He Had A Dream (Part 1) [Re: wingnutx]
    #1859138 - 08/28/03 03:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

A truly wise man that Bob Parks.

I can hear the cries of "Uncle Tom" now.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: He Had A Dream (Part 1) [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1859157 - 08/28/03 03:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Me too unfortunately.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: The Doors

General Interest >> Political Discussion