Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewingnutx
The Big Con
    #1858952 - 08/28/03 02:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The Big Con

Richard Reeves: Democrap-propagandist con man, zany left-wing kook, or bald-faced liar?

Delusion:

Quote:

?We,? Americans, are victims of one of the great bait-and-switch con jobs in recent history?taken into harm?s way by history-ignorant ideologues. We were told we were in imminent danger, that a truly evil regime in Baghdad had the means and will to do us immediate and mortal harm?

Reality:

Quote:

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option.
? President George Bush, SOTU speech

Delusion:

Quote:

Vice President Richard Cheney and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, leaders of the zealots, told us how easy it would be, particularly after the initial fighting ended.

Reality:

Quote:

Our plan as President Bush has said is to ?remain as long as necessary and not a day more.? The Iraqis also recognize that the economic and political reconstruction of their country will be difficult. It will take their best efforts, with the help of the United States and our coalition partners. But they are driven by the dream of a just and democratic society in Iraq.
In conclusion, I would like to ask for your continued support. The war on terrorism is a tough and dangerous business?
? Paul Wolfowitz, VFW conference, Washington

Quote:

From the first hour, we?ve known that the war on terror would be long and difficult. It would test our resolve, demand many sacrifices, above all, from the fine young men and women who defend this country.
? Dick Cheney, AEI speech

Delusion:

Quote:

Americans, deceived and conned, have woken up to find their magnificently trained, equipped and motivated young soldiers pinned down in a hostile environment, stalked by mujihadeen from other Islamic countries sneaking into the chaos of Iraq. It was not bad enough that terrorists were able to find ways to get into the United States and harm us greatly, we have now set ourselves up on their territory ? as targets.

Reality: the only Americans being ?deceived and conned? here are the ones reading the cowardly, defeatist swill promulgated by Reeves and far too many others like him - and believing it to be even remotely true.

http://www.coldfury.com/index.php

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: The Big Con [Re: wingnutx]
    #1859013 - 08/28/03 03:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Great post. It shows the lies the extreme leftists are trying to convince everyone of. Thanks.

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: The Big Con [Re: shakta]
    #1859102 - 08/28/03 03:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What god wants, god gets.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1859113 - 08/28/03 03:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nice post.

It won't matter to many on the left though.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: The Big Con [Re: the universe]
    #1859143 - 08/28/03 03:41 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Huh?

Offlinewingnutx
Re: The Big Con [Re: the universe]
    #1859159 - 08/28/03 03:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

In that case, god wants winona ryder to report to wingnutx's house ASAP.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1859184 - 08/28/03 03:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Why do you have some old clothes you want to disapear or something?

Offlinewingnutx
Re: The Big Con [Re: shakta]
    #1859198 - 08/28/03 03:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Just the ones I'm wearing :laugh:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1859203 - 08/28/03 03:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

LOL. Good one.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: The Big Con [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1860250 - 08/28/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Nice post.

It won't matter to many on the left though.

How nice of the author to name the people that actually said those things in quotes. It looks to me like the author himself took the liberty to speak on behalf of liberals to set up his counter-attack (straw man fallacy).

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: The Big Con [Re: Cornholio]
    #1860279 - 08/28/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here is at least one of the articles he is quoting from. I didn't bother to look for all the quotes, but I think they all came from Richard Reeves.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: The Big Con [Re: z@z.com]
    #1860421 - 08/28/03 09:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My mistake. Richard Reeves was mentioned at the beginning of the article and I totally overlooked it. Sorry about that.

But still I'll attack the article:

Delusion - "We were told we were in imminent danger".
Reality - We shouldn't have to wait for an imminent threat to go to war.

First of all we know Bush DID claim Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, so the delusion is not a delusion. The "reality" is Bush's reality, it's not a reality shared by most of the rest of the world.

Delusion - "Vice President Richard Cheney and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, leaders of the zealots, told us how easy it would be, particularly after the initial fighting ended."

Reality - "Our plan as President Bush has said is to ?remain as long as necessary and not a day more.? The Iraqis also recognize that the economic and political reconstruction of their country will be difficult."

Why overlook what Cheney said? Vice President Cheney, for example, predicted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's troops would "step aside" and that the conflict would be "weeks rather than months," a phrase repeated by other top officials. Others in advisory roles in the administration predicted Iraqi soldiers would "throw in the towel" and Hussein would collapse like "a house of cards" -- phrases senior administration officials often echoed in private."

Again, there is no delusion here.

Delusion - "Americans, deceived and conned, have woken up to find their magnificently trained, equipped and motivated young soldiers pinned down in a hostile environment, stalked by mujihadeen from other Islamic countries sneaking into the chaos of Iraq. It was not bad enough that terrorists were able to find ways to get into the United States and harm us greatly, we have now set ourselves up on their territory ? as targets."

Reality - "From the first hour, we?ve known that the war on terror would be long and difficult. It would test our resolve, demand many sacrifices, above all, from the fine young men and women who defend this country."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he just AGREED with the "delusion".

Sorry, this article doesn't prove that "liberals" are making up phony statements. The author of this article is the phony!!!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion