Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegthug
Stranger
Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas
    #1857337 - 08/28/03 01:52 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My incubator and spawn running areas are the two sections of a freezer/fridge. My fruiting area is a crawl space.

For the incubator the measurements are LxWxH = 18"x 25.5" x11". I'm going to pack it faily tight with grain spawn and have two questions. First i have single and double output fishtank air pumps. I'm wondering if i should use one of them or two or just a 12V DC fan for air circulation in a sealed environment. My second question was if i can put a heating pad between pieces of foam ( i took the seperator shelf between the fridge/ freezer sections and am replacing it with styrofoam), there would be foam above and below the heating pad , they will be caulked to effectively seal the pad from the humidity.

my spawn running area is for running straw logs, its dimensions are LxWxH = 18"x25.5"x31". How many 5 gallon straw logs do you think will fit in it. What temp should i keep it at when it is full of straw logs? How should i supply air exchange with the fishtank air pumps or with a circulation fan 12V DC 0.2A. How can i wire the fan so it can plug into a socket. I heard cell phone charges but mine has an output of 3.7V not 12V.

Finally my fruiting are is a polyed crawl space. The door measures 26" from it two walls angle out. The left one is 60" and the right one is 41". These walls connect to the back wall which measures 72". This area has a height of 43". How many five gallon straw logs do you think it can hold with a rack system that utilizes most of the space. I have a 18cfm fan bringing air in via a prefilter and hepa. It is on a dimmer switch. I'm wondering what size of humidifier i'm going to need and where i should place the ducting to provide good air flow. Will i be able to leave the humidifier on all the time ? I'm going to install a fishtank heater in the humidifiers reservoir. Will it be okay if i combine the fan and humidifiers ducting together to make it one output for the both? I was going to put the humidifier on a dimmer switch so i could leave it and the fan on all the time, can a humidifier be put on a dimmer to control the areas humidity?

thats all for now

please lend wisdom asap

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas [Re: gthug]
    #1858491 - 08/28/03 11:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

When I first started growing shrooms, some fuckin scientist told me that using an old fridge/freezer was a good idea, but it's not. It's a waste of time trying to turn a fridge into a incubator/terrarium, when I tried it I ran into a multitude of problems. I'd highly recommend making a terrarium and incubator the conventional way, if you need lots of space, use big containers, like 120 liters or something, don't bother with the fridge.

You won't be able to control the temperature accurately with a heating pad, and it's dangerous to have one near a 100% humid environment anyway. You could use a fish tank heater in a jar of water, but it's not very reliable. You don't need air circulation in your incubator, or high humidity for that matter (well, i've gotten away with it anyway).

to be perfectly honest, i've fruited cubes with 0 air exchange before, and they turned out ok; completely different story with oysters, but you don't even need a terrarium for oysters anyway.

I'm sorry to slag off the fridge idea so much, It' just seems a bit difficult to make usable, I wrote off the fridge idea and many other 'experimental' chamber ideas before finally deciding the conventional method is the best.

I've heard of people sucessfully using a fridge, perhaps they should reply.

I hope this answers your questions.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas [Re: Zildjian]
    #1858530 - 08/28/03 12:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i would think a crawl-space would not be a verry clean place. i'd try to find another area for fructification.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas [Re: canid]
    #1858601 - 08/28/03 12:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It is unsafe for you and the fan to use a dimmer switch to control it. Fans need variable speed motor controls, not single pole dimmers.

I've seen a fridge incubator work, using a light bulb on a thermestat for heat, with a fan to prevent temp stratification.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinegthug
Stranger
Re: Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas [Re: mycofile]
    #1865332 - 08/30/03 11:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i also have those zoo-med 150 reostat things, are they variable speed motor controls. if using one of these what will it do to the fan?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Specifics for incubating, spawn running and fruiting areas [Re: gthug]
    #1878215 - 09/03/03 06:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, I don't have any idea. Years ago I mentioned using a fan on a dimmer switch, and 37 people jumped in saying "holy shit, unplug it, unplug! It's gonna blow!". All the electrical geniuses snickered at me for even attempting to control a fan with a dimmer, they said it was a bad idea. They said to buy a variable speed motor control made for controling fans, so I did ever since. I think a reostat is at least similar, if not the same, but I really don't have any idea.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology