Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Myth & Rumor
    #1857052 - 08/28/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The word myth, taken from the Greek mythos
(or muthos), literally means "utterance," or "something one says" - a traditional story commonly set in the remote past and involving the actions if divine beings and/or human heroes.

As defined by Fourth Edition: Classical Mythology - Images and Insigts

written by Steven Harris and Gloria Platzner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
now with that out of the way, I wanted to start a discussion on Myth. It seems so striking how much I have already learned. I started college on monday, and I have absorbed so much information already about Mythology, ancient Greece, and the formation of mythology, and the study of the existance of myth, along with its functions in and out of society.

I have started to wonder about religion, myth, mythology, and rumors.

Now for the interesting part: ( i got this definition from www.dictionary.com)

Quote:

1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

So now that we have an understanding of Myth and Rumor... Maybe you can start to formulate your ideas (if you know anything about myth and mythology) on the impact of such a thought.

I dont know too much about this, maybe not as much as some. Maybe Mr. Mushrooms, or other know some about mythology and would like to give some ideas on the issue.

Im really wondering about the whole story telling issue, Myth, Rumor, etc. Maybe they didnt actually talk about things that were necessarily "false". Maybe these things we call stories were the first methods of teaching people, getting them to put together things about their world in "order" or dis order. Of course then you move on to Socrates and Plato who give a whole different look on the issue of Mythology. But that a different issue. Its interesting to see the so close simmilarities, and or confusion between the idea of mythology as a religous belief, and a tool for teaching. Some of the same stories in Classical mythology mirror stories of the history of creation in Genesis, or in the bablyonian society. These all seem to mirror.

Its just boggles my mind at the simmilarities of the archetypes in todays society as compared to mythology. Freud and Jung both had their hands on this issue, and as a result we seem to have a whole branch of scientific study just for the human mind. The womens movements, and or the denial of suffrage to women seem to mimic the classical view of society. Women should stay at home... make babies... take care of children, etc.

It seems that we would be leaving out a huge part of our understanding of the early creation of our civilization if we ignored mythology, or myth and the understanding of rumor. It is the basis for our communication, it is an utterance. Im wondering if there is all just one thing going on and all these different "religions" are just aiming at the core fundamentals of our species... or at least i guess i should say western society leading into the formation of our global society. 

Maybe this is a direct correlation between the percieved world and or the projected world view each and everyone of us should have?

Now I probably didnt get all the ideas i wanted to on this, but im looking for some of those more learned in this area to add their ideas. But anyone as always... feel free to respond.

*looks at Mr. Mushrooms  :wink::grin:

--------------------
What?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Myth & Rumor [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1857812 - 08/28/03 05:03 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You definately should read Joseph Campbell if you haven't already.
"The Power of Myth" is the one I've read. And the video of same is riveting. He's talking right along the lines of what you're thinking about. He devoted his life to exploring myths and how they reflect/affect society.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Myth & Rumor [Re: Jellric]
    #1861132 - 08/29/03 01:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Ill have to check that out. Im not too far advanced right now. But what i have learned already I think is incredible. Thanks for posting :smile: :laugh:

----------

On another note... Its sad when i dream about tons of replies to my topic... and all kinds of thought prevoking ideas by various users on this board. But then i awake to find that no one has posted... the people in my dreams. In case some of you wanted to know... you had some good ideas. *sigh*... maybe i should leave it all to Mr. Imagination.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology