Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
non nutritious casing?
    #1855408 - 08/27/03 05:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What is the advantage of using a non-nutritious casing besides the fact that there is less chance of contamination? Seems as if some TEKs say to use just verm while some say to use coco-coir, peat moss, etc. Seems as thou flushes would be more and bigger with a nutritious casing as long as contams were controlled....
~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVertigo
Mycovoire
Loc: Panhandle
Re: non nutritious casing? [Re: mattch1]
    #1855425 - 08/27/03 05:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If you're new then do youself a favor and use only verm. I will work well and you will get some success under your belt. Not that the others aren't good but in my experience they are easier to get contams.

--------------------
"One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter."

Offlinedarkmaula
    #1855436 - 08/27/03 05:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea, non nutrient casings are where its at

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1855808 - 08/27/03 07:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

What is the advantage of using a non-nutritious casing besides the fact that there is less chance of contamination?

It's not a question of advantage. Casings are NEVER nutritious. The goal of a casing is to make a hospitable environment for your target organism (the mycelium) and at the same time make an inhospitable environment for your potential contamination vectors (bacteria, competing fungi, worms, flies, whatever).

By the time you're ready to case your substrate, the mycelium already has plenty of food and has, for the most part, surrounded that food so that competitors can't get at it. It's also had a chance to grow and become strong and well-established so it's fairly well able to fight off contamination. This is why you can take the substrate out of its sterile jar and expose it to the environment once it's 100% colonized.

Now, remember that the casing should be friendly to mycelium but hostile to everything else. To do that, you have to leave out any trace of nutrients; the mycelium doesn't need it, it's got substrate to eat and only contamination vectors would benefit from nutrition in the casing. Adjusting the pH to one favoragle to mycelium also helps.

Quote:

Seems as if some TEKs say to use just verm while some say to use coco-coir, peat moss, etc. Seems as thou flushes would be more and bigger with a nutritious casing as long as contams were controlled....

None of the above, verm, peat, or coir have any significant nutritional value. That's why they work. If you added food to the casing, I promise you will be unable to control contamination short of killing the entire casing including the mycelium. It would be like leaving a dead fish in your living room and hoping to keep it from smelling bad by controlling the bacteria that would love to eat it; you wouldn't stand a chance.

Hope this makes sense...

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinefungulus

Re: non nutritious casing? [Re: Diploid]
    #1856079 - 08/27/03 08:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In my casings I used 50/50 Peat Moss w/Vermiculite Ph balanced w/hydrated lime. I am a newbie even though I grew some in my closet when I was a teenager once, but they were my older brother's. I have a little understanding of shrooms through personal experience, hunting, and mass trippin'. To me it seems that a casing will be successful if the conditions are met for it's survival and productivity. By that I mean create outdoors indoors. What is soil made of? Tons of things! You can try a lot of different TEKS with success, but with what I've read and seen, 50/50 casing, millet seed, straw and dung are the best componets for a casing. I think people trip on the TEK too much. It's a guide line to be followed by the Newbie from the veteran. Read the posts, stick to the TEK and save the trippin' for after ingestion! My opinion, what do U vetz think?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: non nutritious casing? [Re: Diploid]
    #1858316 - 08/28/03 10:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice explanation, Diploid :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation