Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: What did you do at the gym today? [Re: Masked]
    #24789620 - 11/17/17 02:11 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Part A:

10 minute AMRAP

Start at one rep each and add 1 rep every round

Handstand pushups
Power cleans @ 135 lbs

(So 1 HSPU, 1 power clean, 2 HSPU, 2 power cleans, 3 HSPU etc)

I got 55 handstand pushups and 47 power cleans done

Part B:

1000m row on concept 2 rower

Took me 3:50

This is a good time to touch on my personal life and goals.  I've been a mixture of training for fitness and training for sport.  To the point where I've felt conflicted.  I get caught up in the competitive nature of my setting and other times I don't care...so in a sense, my programming yo-yos from "fitness for sport" to "fitness for health".  And I don't like that.  It also increases my chance of injury.  I've been lucky so far and am probably the least injured person in this thread these past 3 years...ive had no really notable injuries (once my shoulder was bugging me but I layed off training for 3 weeks just to be safe)

I'm getting unhappy and bored.  My mindset on training for sport and training for fitness is evolving.  I'm tired of destroying myself to the brink of throwing up.  I've gotten returns sure, but to what end?  I have no desire to competitively workout in the functional fitness industry.  I don't compete in any sports.  So why am I doing this?

I like mentally destroying myself I suppose. 

But it's time to shake things up.  I realize I'm competitive and need a competitive outlet outside of exercise.

Big changes coming :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

Re: What did you do at the gym today? [Re: SleepyE]
    #24789638 - 11/17/17 02:23 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Everyone really does

Too much information and too many opinions to sift through can actually be a curse in disguise in some ways lol

Listen to your body

If you enjoy the process, enjoy the results and are happy with your progress...why change anything?

If you answer no to any of those maybe think about trying to tweak something or try something new.

But I have to be honest sleepy...i may be wrong but you exhibit some signs of hypochondria. I don't mean this to be a jerk.  You just seem overly paranoid about your body and health all the time.  Just what I've gleaned from other threads.  And thus seems to fit with your battle with anxiety.

Your body isn't made of glass.  Especially at your age :wink:

Follow some YouTube fitness channels and try some new things buddy.  Dive head first.

I recommend athleanx

--------------------

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada, Flag
    #24789662 - 11/17/17 02:37 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

that's good advice, and yeah man I'm always over concerned I think. most of the time I assure myself that my body is resilient and wont be damaged so easily but then I read things that say "OMG you don't know it but your whole body is decaying because of X you are doing" it makes me start panicking about what I may or may not have done wrong.

its weird shit aha.
but yeah Ive seen that channel before and he seem knowledgeable

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Trip Report: SHROOMS DMT---- My Youtube Psychedelic Channel

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: What did you do at the gym today? [Re: SleepyE]
    #24789845 - 11/17/17 04:02 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Powerlifting and Me

I trained around 155-160 pounds and competed in the 148 pound class @ 5' 7". I was usually the tallest in class. My lifts were impressive for the average gym rat, but I never placed in a tournament as I only did it for a few years.

The point I wanted to get to, was that unbeknownst to me, I had scoliosis (spine curved to the left) that never hindered me in other sports as it was not that pronounced. While training for squats, I would do occasionally do quarter squats with upwards of 600 pounds. It was not so much strength building as it was to get over the fear of extremely heavy weights and to learn balance. What I was unaware of was how much pressure this put on my spine, slowly pushing my already unbalanced vertebrae further and further to the left until I was in constant pain and had to quit. The damage sent me to a chiropractor and orthopedists for decades. My back is still not right.

This is just a mild warning to others. Simple X-rays would have revealed this condition and I never would have pushed so hard nor even tried competing. Calisthenics competition or similar strength field would have suited me far better.

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790067 - 11/17/17 05:41 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Pretty relevant considering you were telling sleepye his risk of injury was somehow lower because he wasn't training for a competition. Yet, he was training just as hard as any begginer/Intermidate powerlifter.

I've never competed in powerlifting, so I am not a powerlifter by definition. I have bones spurs and arthritis in my elbows. By your logic since I never trained for a sport they should be fine.

Perhaps training the way you do may lower your risk of injury, but not anyone lifting seriously.

Quote:

SleepyE said:
I thought 1.5X body weight is novice weight.

for someone who is around 160-190lb, it shouldn't be that damaging squatting below 400lb or so. or is it?

ive been reading weird shit today saying that past parallel squatting is horrible for the lower back/spine, man I really don't know who to listen to, everyone has a different fucking opinion.

You can fuck yourself up squatting any amount of weight. Get out of position, have poor body mechanics etc. I wouldn't stress over it though there is risk in everything.

It's pretty easy to find good information about lifting. Listen to the coaches that have produced elite lifters and have low injury rates.

I'll have to dig up some injury stats when I can hop on pubmed.

Edited by Othyem (11/17/17 06:08 PM)

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

Re: What did you do at the gym today? [Re: Othyem]
    #24790145 - 11/17/17 06:15 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Are you normally this obtuse?

I said since he doesn't exercise for sport! It's a term that encompasses much more than taking it quite literally.  For sport doesn't literally mean the sport of lifting only.

I stand by my original statement...

Exercising for sport vs exercising for optimal fitness and health are TWO very different things.  And the former will increase your chance of injury.  Unless you are trying to win trophies, it's good to remember to train accordingly.

Case in point...from all your former posts in this thread I get the feeling you "trained for sport"(once again, stop focusing on this statement as literal) and pushed yourself to the point of injury.  I'm sure their were other factors of course

And for the record, I've already stated that I train for sport even when I shouldn't be.  I probably train for sport more so than anyone in here...amd I'm amazed I have the least injuries out of anyone here.  I really give that to plain damn luck :lol:

Lifting heavy weights for general fitness and keeping your ego in check,is not likely to damage you long term into old age.  That's the bottom line from the very beginning.  Many hundreds of thousands of seniors who weight train and are in phenomenal shape can attest to this.

Dig up whatever you want.  This isn't a debate.  It's my opinion and yours.  You digging up weightlifting injury stats is so far removed from the actual point and Crux of the conversation.

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790169 - 11/17/17 06:22 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

The confusion for me is, Sleepye is clearly training like a powerlifter. So is he the exception to your injury risk statment? You seemed to imply he is less prone to injury because he is just training for strength.

Not really opinion vs. opinion we could easily pull up statistics on injury rates. Also, Curious what sport you train for?

Edited by Othyem (11/17/17 06:35 PM)

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790188 - 11/17/17 06:32 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

also curious...what sport do you train for

Are you kidding me?  I dont do a sport.

:facepalm:

I'm not explaining this again.  It's over your head obviously.

For the 5th time...training for sport (not necessarily literal) VS training for general fitness and health are TWO different things.  And the former makes you more prone to injury

Yeah that's opinion vs opinion.  Fucking deal with it.  Lol

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790224 - 11/17/17 06:56 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Masked said:
Quote:

Quote:

Masked said:

And for the record, I've already stated that I train for sport even when I shouldn't be.  I probably train for sport more so than anyone in here...amd I'm amazed I have the least injuries out of anyone here.  I really give that to plain damn luck

Edit* after reading again this totally sounds like a Donald Trump type statement. :lol:

I'm confused do you train for a sport or not? You said you did, thus I asked the question.

Quote:

Othyem said:
The confusion for me is, Sleepye is clearly training like a powerlifter. So is he the exception to your injury risk statment? You seemed to imply he is less prone to injury because he is just training for strength.

The above quote is why I am confused.
Quote:

Masked said:
You train for strength and not for sport sleepy.

Training for sport...to win...is where you run into long term injury issues.

Yet, when I told you I have elbow arthritis yet have not competedyou said it was because I trained like a powerlifter. Sleepye doesn't train all that differnet from me
:lol:

That is the extent of my issues with your statments.

Edited by Othyem (11/17/17 07:04 PM)

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790234 - 11/17/17 07:03 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I have already attempted more than once to draw your attention to your misinformed manner of taking that statement literally.  I don't know if your reading comprehension is shit or you are playing stupid with me....but its annoying as fuck

I'm not going over this again

My very first post said

Quote:

Lifting heavy for fitness and health is not going to impact you negatively sleepy.  There are hundred of thousands of such people still doing it in their 60's and 70's

/this retarded discussion

You can disagree with the above statement, which you originally did and what has started this entirely useless back and forth exchange....but that's where it ends for me

I think you are a fairly intelligent lifter so it blows my mind how this conversation even got here.

P.s. me talking about training in sport fashion was supposed to be a dig towards myself.  Especially in the context of our conversation.  Unless you are trying to win trophies, and I'm not, you shouldn't be training in that fashion and with that mindset. It was the opposite of a brag.

I don't know if I'm just being a cranky old man and I'm reading you wrong, but God damn :crankey:

--------------------

Edited by Masked (11/17/17 07:12 PM)

OfflineSleepyE
DMT is metaphysical
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada, Flag
    #24790245 - 11/17/17 07:09 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

I personally don't plan on ever squatting past 400lb or so just so I don't risk compression issues on my spine, I think orgone conclusion made a good point about being careful because I doubt my spine is perfectly aligned.

I really just want the aesthetics of being big and looking strong. I don't really need to squat 500lb to feed my ego. lifting is actually a side hobby for me, most of my attention is focused in another area that I have goals of competing in.

--------------------
My Drawingzz
Draw DMT!

Trip Report: SHROOMS DMT---- My Youtube Psychedelic Channel

Edited by SleepyE (11/17/17 07:10 PM)

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790256 - 11/17/17 07:16 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Didn't see that part, that is the first time you quoted it. None of your responses previously adressed that spefically.

Anyway that would depend entirely on what you would deem 'for health and fitness'.

Quote:

Othyem said:
Quote:

Masked said:
Quote:

Quote:

Masked said:

And for the record, I've already stated that I train for sport even when I shouldn't be.  I probably train for sport more so than anyone in here...amd I'm amazed I have the least injuries out of anyone here.  I really give that to plain damn luck

Edit* after reading again this totally sounds like a Donald Trump type statement. :lol:

I'm confused do you train for a sport or not? You said you did, thus I asked the question.

I'll drop it but please address that. :lol:

Also, go check out the masters 1, 2, and 3 lifter classes in the IPF. There are quite a few elite powerlifters competing on a world level 50 to 80.

OfflineOthyem
Male

Re: What did you do at the gym today? [Re: SleepyE] * 1
    #24790271 - 11/17/17 07:26 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SleepyE said:
I personally don't plan on ever squatting past 400lb or so just so I don't risk compression issues on my spine, I think orgone conclusion made a good point about being careful because I doubt my spine is perfectly aligned.

I really just want the aesthetics of being big and looking strong. I don't really need to squat 500lb to feed my ego. lifting is actually a side hobby for me, most of my attention is focused in another area that I have goals of competing in.

You could blow out a disc squatting anything man. Train smart use good technique and mitigate as much risk as possible that is if you want to lift heavy weights.

Mark Bell has a great rant on this topic.

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790273 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck man...ive already explained it many times

I'll walk you through this....fuck my man :lol:

"Training for sport" does NOT mean a literal sport or literally the sport of lifting.  How many fucking times do I have to explain this? :crankey: :lol: ...especially when it should have been clear it was a broad scope of a statement.

Like, I'm actually confused you couldn't grasp this and questioning my communication.  Either it's shit, or it's flown over your head.

I train for sport more often then I intend or should but doesn't mean I actually play any sports.  It just means that I'm pushing for those extra reps or that faster time/intensity like I have something to gain or win...like everything is on the fucking line if I don't get that one last brutal hard rep in...or whatever.  Training for sport mentality encompasses pushing your body to limits of breaking...and it can be, because you are training to be the best in your LITERAL sport OR you have an unclear idea of the difference between training for sport vs training for general health and fitness OR you just have too much ego and competiveness and you know the difference but train for sport anyway.

I train for sport when I DON'T have any intention of winning trophies or competitions or lifting meets or whatever.  So my approach is flawed very often and increases my chance of injury

...especially in old age if I keep it up

Which is where the whole conversation originated

If you are going to come in and throw your 2 cents in, at least be up to speed about the conversation and context

Im irritated I even bothered to try and explain it again to you lol

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790286 - 11/17/17 07:32 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

No, generally when someone says 'I train for sport.' they are referring to an actual sport they are training for. Sorry if asking you which one you do seems outlandish.

Edited by Othyem (11/17/17 07:39 PM)

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790295 - 11/17/17 07:36 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Yes.  At least now I have established it isn't for my lack of communication but rather your comprehension of said communication and all the context that went with it.

Our exchange was beyond outlandish and I own some of it....im an idiot for going so long back and forth with you.  I'm so compelled to reach "resolution" with someone that it drives me to banter back and forth forever.

Ugh

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790301 - 11/17/17 07:37 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

You have a strange way of putting things. I would never say I train for sport and not be referring to an acutal sport. I think saying I work out would be far more appropriate. That would have avoided most of this.

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790312 - 11/17/17 07:43 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

You have a strange way of not understanding things.

All of this could have been avoided if you could understand that we were talking about the methods and psychology of training as it pertains to old age and long term effects.

For the billionth time:  training for "sport"(and for the billionth time in brackets, stop taking this literal and try and think outside the box) VS. Training for general health and fitness are TWO different things.  And the former is more likely to lead to injury(And the context specifically was long term/into old age)

This COULD have been all avoided indeed

...especially at the part where I said "I disagree with you but you are entitled to your opinion"

Time for a whiskey... :crankey:

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#24790361 - 11/17/17 08:07 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

To shift the subject. Curious, if you aren't 'training for sport' ie pushing yourself to get better, what the fuck is the point? If you aren't I can see why you haven't been injured and have the opinion injury rates are lower in that case.

Another source of confusion ourr idea of what health and fitness are vary wildly. :lol:

That explains the differnce in our training style. Haha

InvisibleMasked
The Nutter
Male User Gallery

#24790461 - 11/17/17 09:01 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah they do vary wildly....you don't sound very healthy or fit

:rimshot:

:lol:

Haha I kid I kid.  Mostly :evil:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 328 | 329 | 330 | 331 | 332 | 333 | 334 | 335 | 336 | 337 | 338 | 339 | 340 | 341 | 342 | 343 | 344 | 345 | 346 | 347 | 348 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder