Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
What's wrong with not believing?
    #1851783 - 08/26/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why is it that when one denies the supernatural or the mystical due to lack of evidence, that they are then viewed as cold-hearted, labcoat-wearing, and sterile?

It would be a joke to call my everyday life sterile.

Just because my thinking is grounded, it doesn't follow that I'm boring and plain. Would you need documentation of my very UNboring life? Would you need me to come to your house, strip naked and jump on your sofa? I have TONS of evidence of my non-boring, unsterile, no-labcoat life. Just tell me what evidence is required of me to proove that I can still have an unsterile life without believing in aliens, God, demons, karma, psi balls, levitation, astral projection, rods, fairies (not Marys), elves, 2012 (and other armageddon stories), soul mates, Casteneda's stories, McKenna's crap, etc.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: What's wrong with not believing? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1851846 - 08/26/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Because when people say lack of eveidence it usually sounds like they're science dorks heh, just because they keep pushing the science doesn't say so thing.

But it is wrong to do that so yeah...

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's wrong with not believing? [Re: DailyPot]
    #1851891 - 08/26/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So I'm discriminated against for my PROPER use of a couple of words that others have given incorrect connotations?

Okay, let's clear this up.... anyone else? Or are you too scared to admit I'm not boring?

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1851895 - 08/26/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm with you on this one Sclorch. My life is anything but sterile, recent lab reports confirm that there are over 500 different life forms in my underwear alone! (Why they don't have friends, I'll never know.)

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's wrong with not believing? [Re: Autonomous]
    #1851917 - 08/26/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lol

--------------------

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #1851919 - 08/26/03 03:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't call you boring or sterile. I don't blame you for not "believing" in any of those things. Beliefs are usually blind and based on hope, and not things which are rationally or even intuitively understood.

I personally don't go believing things just because they sound cool or promising. Before I believe something, I have to KNOW it... but that knowledge doesn't always come from cold-hard scientific rationalistic objective evidence.

It is possible to arrive at certain knowledge for which there is no scientific proof. Our science is ages away from being able to explain certain natural/mystical phenomenon. This is because the power of science and rationality must work with intuition, which, in most science today, it does not.

There is a difference between blind faith and intuitive understanding... but it's hard to explain. Maybe somebody with the time and energy can do it better than I could right now :smile: 

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Re: What's wrong with not believing? [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1851941 - 08/26/03 03:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How can you belive that out of this huge universe our little spec of dust called earth is the only one with organisms on it, how can we be the only ones just the right distance from a sun, when planets and suns are uncountable in this cloud we call universe..???? anyway, i dunno man but not beliving in absoloutley anything does sound pretty boring, i dont belive in gods or Ghost or anything supernatural, but i do belive people goe through these experiences and its very natural indeed.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's wrong with not believing? [Re: Spokesman]
    #1851971 - 08/26/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How can you belive that out of this huge universe our little spec of dust called earth is the only one with organisms on it,

You see, this is a classic example of assumption.
Not believing is NOT equivalent to dismissing a possibility.

i dunno man but not beliving in absoloutley anything does sound pretty boring,

Who said ANYTHING about absolutes?

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1851993 - 08/26/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

One thing I have found puzzling is believers assume that without faith, you cannot have morals - that you can't develope a sense of right and wrong. They also tend to separate the spiritual from the physical, while I look at the spiritual as deriving from existence, to be human is to experience the spiritual aspect of consciousness - the sense of interconnectedness of all things and a sense of things greater than oneself. This is not the same as believing in supernatural beings, this is an appreciation of the grand scope of the universe, our place in it and the inherent mysteries that we as individuals will never be able to fully understand.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Anonymous

#1851994 - 08/26/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

how does not believing one thing that probably WONT EVER MATTER make you boring? maybe you're the one whos boring cuz you put faith in something that may not exist, at least what i believe in is sure to exist.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #1852002 - 08/26/03 04:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That's exactly how I feel about things, Autonomous.

--------------------

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1852007 - 08/26/03 04:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Why is it that when one denies the supernatural or the mystical due to lack of evidence, that they are then viewed as cold-hearted, labcoat-wearing, and sterile?

Sterile! what no little Sclorches to torment elementary school teachers with philosophy and mental precision?
Really Sclorch you do believe as fervently as a mystic in your pragmatic outlook.This in no way makes you Spock :wink: it is just another way of looking at the world if it continues to work for you why try to fix it is my attitude.Belief and faith are interesting concepts as they are commonly concieved as religious or mystical but faith is the mechanism by which we base our predictions of outcomes.We have faith that as it was it will be according to our experience.I have faith that if I place my hand in fire that the fire will fullfill it's physical nature and overheat my skin and cause a burn.I also believe it will cause pain.
I call these qualities pragmatic faith and belief,they are founded on repeatable physical laws which have proven constant.
Mystical faith is a choice based on experiential interpretation thus is by nature not going to include all experiences or interpretations by any given number of subjects.
WR:rasta: 

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineAmnesiac

#1852013 - 08/26/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

As long as you are not dismissing those possibilities then not believing is just fine and dandy! Better to remain skeptical until you have whatever evidence you feel that you need in order to say that you do believe... on the other hand, you could just jump right on the bandwagon because a lot of people also seem to "Believe" very strongly in something.

It's always better to be suspend your beliefs as well as your disbeliefs, unless you are 100% sure, because otherwise you would only be drawing unnecessary conclusions which may later turn out to be false.

Who knows, tomorrow, a great bearded old white man could come down from the sky and take us all to a magical land of paradise somewhere high above... or monkeys could fly out of my ass. It's a tough call between the two of those options, but if I had to put my money on one or the other, I'd go with the monkeys...

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1852021 - 08/26/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'll take that bet as well.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

OfflineAmnesiac

#1852035 - 08/26/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am feeling slightly hemorrhoidal today... My god... could it be? Evidence! That's it, I'm a believer!

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1852044 - 08/26/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe, those critters will need to be bathed.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
    #1852117 - 08/26/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
I can still have an unsterile life without believing in aliens, God, demons, karma, psi balls, levitation, astral projection, rods, fairies (not Marys), elves, 2012 (and other armageddon stories), soul mates, Casteneda's stories, McKenna's crap, etc.

Umm that pretty much cover everything worth investigating...

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1852292 - 08/26/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think one's belief system could ever define one's character. Hey after all, boring to you may be different for me. who said anything was wrong with being a scientist anyway?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1853166 - 08/26/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

your avatar is obviously a good indication that you are probably not boring... but that may be some faulty thinking on my part. Anyone who has enough motivation to come to these boards in the first place, and discuss the ideas which you do, for me would put you out of the range of boring. Ive come to appreciate your presence... in case you would like to know. :sun:

--------------------
What?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1853604 - 08/27/03 12:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Why is it that when one denies the supernatural or the mystical due to lack of evidence, that they are then viewed as cold-hearted, labcoat-wearing, and sterile?"

Because that's how it IS, you questioning FREAK! :tongue:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale