Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch
    #18519658 - 07/06/13 09:57 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

News & Politics 
AlterNet / By Kristen Gwynne

Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch
The nineteen-year-old facing a third-degree felony for a Facebook joke is now suffering from the trauma of incarceration.
July 5, 2013  | 

The nineteen-year-old jailed for making a "terrorist threat" after posting an obviously sarcastic comment on Facebook is now reportedly on suicide watch in jail, where he has been held on $500,000 bond since February. Texas gamer Justin Carter was arrested after for a remark he made during a Facebook debate about the videogame "League Legends."  "[S]omeone had said something to the effect of 'Oh you're insane, you're crazy, you're messed up in the head,’"  Carter's dad Jack told ABC affiliate KVUE, "To which [Justin] replied 'Oh yeah, I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,’ and the next two lines were 'lol and jk' [all sic]."

Carter struck a chord with a Facebook user concerned that he lived near an elementary school, and reported him to police. Now, the teenager is not only facing a third-degree felony and decade in prison, but is also dealing with the trauma of incarceration.

"Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection," Jack elaborated on Justin's current condition in jail. "He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience," his dad told NPR.

"He's very depressed, very scared, and ... concerned that he's not going to get out," Carter's father Jack told CNN, "He's pretty much lost all hope." Carter's parents do not have the means to come up with half-a-million dollars to release their son.

Carter's dad said he understands sensitivity to police shootings, but that the The Comal County District Attorney could have made a far less punitive call.  “I definitely see the need to investigate such claims, absolutely,” Jack Carter told CNN, “But, at some point during the investigation, there has to be some common sense.”

The circumstances of his arrest and incarceration are, indeed, extreme. "I have been practicing law for 10 years, I've represented murderers, terrorists, rapists. Anything you can think of. I have never seen a bond at $500,000," Carter's attorney, Don Flanary, who has been representing the teenager pro-bono, told NPR.

Kristen Gwynne is an associate editor and drug policy reporter at AlterNet.  Follow her on Twitter: @KristenGwynne

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/teenager-jailed-facebook-terrorist-threat-suicide-watch

-

what do you think of story like those?

I have one too where an internet friend of mine (yes, Internet friend :thumbup:) got his door kicked because he made a joke on facebook about gas price and how we could drop the price by blocking access to gas station so that demand would fall :lol:

Well, someone reported him to the police, they seized his computer and now he can't approach a computer with Internet because he supposedly made terrorist claim and incited to violence...

Everyone that knows him is like: wtf, the guy is just always saying random funny shit that he doesn't really believe in, but ah well seems like this was a good reason to arrest him.

:shrug:

I find it sad how lots of people are really, really paranoid in our society about "dangers" and sees everything like a "threat".

:thumbdown:

What is the limit of liberty of expression?

When you mention it is all joke and fun, and still get arrested, it :feelsweirdman:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblackhawk
Newton's Law of Majesticity
I'm a teapot

Loc: Where Jimmies are Rustled
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa] * 8
    #18519674 - 07/06/13 10:05 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Facebook has to be destroyed
It's ruining lives

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: blackhawk]
    #18519682 - 07/06/13 10:09 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Not the only one who sees this? nice. :ninja:

InvisibleKhii Khwaay
black tooth grin

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa] * 7
    #18519694 - 07/06/13 10:14 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Because nude solitary confinement is a great way to help someone who's depressed.

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa] * 3
    #18519700 - 07/06/13 10:18 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:feelsbadman:

These stories are very troublesome.  This kid that's getting the attention isn't the only one, either.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: circularvortex] * 4
    #18519702 - 07/06/13 10:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The narc must be a really worthless piece of shit person.

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Adden]
    #18520866 - 07/06/13 03:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

True, where is his empathy?

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa]
    #18520880 - 07/06/13 03:54 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

that's terrorism? what a joke.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: akira_akuma] * 1
    #18520900 - 07/06/13 04:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

fucking facebook is destroying the internet. but there you have it, first signs of a policed interwebs.

however, the comment posted by the teenager was just retarted and immature. they should have banned him or something, they went WAY too far with it and seems like they were trying to make an example out of him.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: zZZz] * 2
    #18520903 - 07/06/13 04:01 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

funny thing is, they made it up in their minds, and went after a troll.

OfflineCrusaderz
Stranger

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: akira_akuma] * 5
    #18520914 - 07/06/13 04:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

if everything some of us said was monitored on the internet, there would be a lot of us in jails too

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Crusaderz] * 1
    #18520930 - 07/06/13 04:10 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I can't wait til GTA V comes out.

Offlineliberty hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Konyap]
    #18520948 - 07/06/13 04:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

1984 style.  Everything we do and say on the internet is being monitored.  I feel this story is an adumbration of what is coming.  I feel thankful that I deleted Facebook.  I need to remind myself to stop posting on the shroomery also.

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: liberty hunter] * 2
    #18520961 - 07/06/13 04:22 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

liberty hunter said:
1984 style.  Everything we do and say on the internet is being monitored.  I feel this story is an adumbration of what is coming.  I feel thankful that I deleted Facebook.  I need to remind myself to stop posting on the shroomery also.

It has literally nothing to do with the internet being monitored. Some asshole reported him saying he was threatening to shoot up a school. Even if there was no government monitoring of the internet, this would have played out the exact same way. No matter where you live, that kind of claim is going to be investigated. It has nothing to do with the internet being monitored, it has to do with people misconstruing what others say and taking it to an authority figure rather than dealing with it in person first.

Seriously, if the idiot who would have reported him paid attention to the "JK" or "LOL" or even asked the kid if he was serious rather than automatically reporting it to authorities, this kid would be back at home fooling around on the internet like usual instead of contemplating taking his life in prison. :shake:

I have no idea why the authorities didn't take his "LOL JK" into consideration before tossing him in the slammer, anyone have any ideas on that?

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

Offlinegulper2323
Unknown Landscape Climber
Male

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: liberty hunter]
    #18520984 - 07/06/13 04:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:feelsbadman: and to think I was going to update my Facebook account because I haven't updated it in years :nonono:

:shrug: meh, I'll probably update it anyway

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: gulper2323] * 1
    #18520985 - 07/06/13 04:29 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The person who reported him lives in Canada.:smirk:

InvisibleVivaLaMushie
RIP LS :(
Female User Gallery

Loc: Switzerland Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Konyap]
    #18520989 - 07/06/13 04:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:

Me too

--------------------

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #18520994 - 07/06/13 04:31 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:

REPORT THIS TERRORIST!!

But seriously, if I were a stand up comedian and said something similar there would be no issue.  Clearly in jest, even if it is depraved humor.  Fuck facebook, never had an account never will.

Offlinehidenseek1
Its got all the dinks.

Loc: poop
    #18521001 - 07/06/13 04:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I have no idea why the authorities didn't take his "LOL JK" into consideration before tossing him in the slammer, anyone have any ideas on that?

cause anyone can write lol jks, after any statement, whether they ment it or not

--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #18521002 - 07/06/13 04:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I get the feeling the narc was just a white cunt.

Offlineliberty hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 4
    #18521082 - 07/06/13 04:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:

Because we are moving into a police state.  Notice I said this is an adumbration of what is to come.  Less and less freedom, more and more surveillance, harsher and harsher penalties.  It's called the totalitarian tiptoe.  It starts of with someone being thrown in jail because of what they posted on Facebook.  Then before you know it you're marked as a terrorist and thrown in jail just for having an account on the shroomery.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Pastor Niemoller said that when the Nazis rose to power.  History is repeating itself.  Wake up and get a clue naive woman.

--------------------

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Crusaderz] * 1
    #18521088 - 07/06/13 04:52 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Crusaderz said:
if everything some of us said was monitored on the internet, there would be a lot of us in jails too

Better start self censoring. Its what they want.

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Loc: here.
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou] * 2
    #18521170 - 07/06/13 05:07 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Why wasn't the NSA the first to see this terrorist threat????

Isn't that why the NSA even exsists???

I've asked before and i'll ask again, how many terrorist threats or attacks have the NSA even stopped? EVER?

Can you smell the bullshit?

--------------------
I need Jesus.

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: thoughts] * 2
    #18521178 - 07/06/13 05:09 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

They've stopped 12

They only target words that have to do with bioloical/chemical/explosive agents
Mexican related and police state stuff as well as infrastructure

saying
"yo yo, kill, kill"
isn't going to trigger a query

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

#18521190 - 07/06/13 05:11 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I did not know that, thanks.

--------------------
I need Jesus.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Konyap] * 2
    #18521196 - 07/06/13 05:13 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm... :plot:

Kerosene, Ammonium nitrate. School, Dec 12th Mexico.

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18521210 - 07/06/13 05:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:lol:

:uhoh:

--------------------
I need Jesus.

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: liberty hunter]
    #18521211 - 07/06/13 05:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

liberty hunter said:
Because we are moving into a police state.  Notice I said this is an adumbration of what is to come.  Less and less freedom, more and more surveillance, harsher and harsher penalties.  It's called the totalitarian tiptoe.  It starts of with someone being thrown in jail because of what they posted on Facebook.  Then before you know it you're marked as a terrorist and thrown in jail just for having an account on the shroomery.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Pastor Niemoller said that when the Nazis rose to power.  History is repeating itself.  Wake up and get a clue naive woman.

It has nothing to do with a police state, IN ANY COUNTRY if you threaten to shoot up a school of elementary students and someone reports you because they think you are serious you're going to be investigated. You're paranoid.

If you believe so wholeheartedly in your cute but irrelevant little poem, what are you personally doing to "speak out"? Posting on the shroomery? :lol: I don't think you even believe your own bullshit, you just want something to complain about that is outside of your own power so you don't have to do anything to change the things in your life that make you miserable that are within your power. Man up and do something productive if you think the world is actually going to shit like you're always proclaiming. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 1
    #18521222 - 07/06/13 05:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Because god forbid the man speaks his piece, right?

OfflineInfiniteToker
Devourer of Chicken Wings
Male

Loc: Earth
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: thoughts]
    #18521235 - 07/06/13 05:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

i gotta say this is fast becoming the norm for the United States.  People are told to rat on people if they are truly "patriotic" and a "good citizen".  Total bullshit though, be careful on what you say and do or write because people will rat you out and someone is always watching- its not a paranoid conspiracy theory.  Everyone needs to stop violence all together, maybe then our children wouldnt be displaying behavior like this.

--------------------

"I'm chilling in a room with a view, there's always room for improvement; so i grab my coat and go and prove it"-Method Man

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: InfiniteToker]
    #18521242 - 07/06/13 05:21 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SHROOMHUNTSMAN said:
i gotta say this is fast becoming the norm for the United States.  People are told to rat on people if they are truly "patriotic" and a "good citizen". 

I've never heard this before, as someone who lives in the US.

Quote:

Everyone needs to stop violence all together, maybe then our children wouldnt be displaying behavior like this.

Fully agree with this. Unfortunately many people think violence is the answer to things like this, so we have a perpetuating cycle rather than rational approaches on how to improve the world.

--------------------
Sapere aude

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa] * 1
    #18521253 - 07/06/13 05:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Thought crime is still crime!

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Adden]
    #18521263 - 07/06/13 05:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:
Because god forbid the man speaks his piece, right?

Its coming from a kid who holds the view that nuclear holocaust is an acceptable answer to societies current state.

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #18521264 - 07/06/13 05:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

This is what happens when everything turns to passive aggressive land, people try to come off of it acting humorous and they get struck down hard.

OfflineEnvix
Avoidant Disorder
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 2
    #18521266 - 07/06/13 05:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:

i don't think the courts recognize those as actual words. remember most people in the court system are old geezers who grew up spoon-fed by television and news papers. they have no idea what internet lingo is and don't recognize any of its relevance (which is weird, considering this is about a case OVER THE INTERNET).

but, it's was never written down in the law books. LOL and JK are not in the law books, and not recognized as legal language. so its not in the law books, therefore it's not a proper defense.

he could have just as well have said "JUJ KL" and it would have the same meaning to them

InvisibleKT-BC
Male

Loc: the lake Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Adden] * 2
    #18521278 - 07/06/13 05:26 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

pretty sad story, but i have to say, maybe that moron should have thought about what he's jotting down on the keyboard. he was obviously looking for attention going around saying something grisly like that, and there is alot of pent up assholes out there just looking to ruin a motherfuckers day. so my conclusion... not surprised..

:dislike:

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: Envix]
    #18521279 - 07/06/13 05:26 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

It's totally in the books, if you are in a heated argument I was taught in theory you could get away with saying A LOT of shit.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #18521288 - 07/06/13 05:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I was told we had the freedom of speech at some point in US history.

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: Adden]
    #18521295 - 07/06/13 05:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Say that again?

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18521308 - 07/06/13 05:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:
I was told we had the freedom of speech at some point in US history.

OfflineKonyap

#18521312 - 07/06/13 05:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Lies.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: Adden] * 2
    #18521317 - 07/06/13 05:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Look the bottom line is that it's a clusterfuck of hysteria and the convergence of language with technology, the inability of people to pick up on inflection and tone, or to notice the ability of someone seeking carthasis by saying something wild they'd never do (assuming so). How many times in your life have you said something out of frustration, or joked some far-out nightmarish scenario to quickly brush it away. Also there's the role of the police state to congratulate the narc, and members of the community who look down upon the narc are put under further scrutiny. It's how an ideological state apparatus works.

Invisiblefalsereality

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa] * 1
    #18521322 - 07/06/13 05:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I say fuck the united states government, fuck the oversensitive prick that reported his comment to the police, fuck the police for throwing him in jail, and fuck the jail for not instantly recognizing that he needed PC. Stories like this piss me off to no end, poor kid is going to have PTSD and be traumatized for years after a judge finally decides that this was a bullshit decision.

OfflineYSHServant
I Wanna Shoot Something
Male

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: falsereality]
    #18521377 - 07/06/13 05:46 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

My question is, WHY IS ANYONE EVEN SURPRISED AT THIS?!

Has anyone seen the kind of mess our country is in?

Everyone wants to act shocked when something like this happens.

I'm not shocked. I just know what kind of state our country is in.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: YSHServant]
    #18521388 - 07/06/13 05:49 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Guise Im totally planning on firebombing the neo-natal ward tonight, whos with me?

:datass:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18521393 - 07/06/13 05:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm terrified to say what I'd love to do, for one day I may have to do it.

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou] * 1
    #18521397 - 07/06/13 05:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Guise Im totally planning on firebombing the neo-natal ward tonight, whos with me?

:datass:

Been nice knowing you.

--------------------

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: The Vapor]
    #18521409 - 07/06/13 05:53 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Pussy.

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

#18521415 - 07/06/13 05:54 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:ass:

--------------------

OfflineTheMadHighentist
Hacking to the Gate

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 2
    #18521520 - 07/06/13 06:20 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting what this thread degenerated into :P

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
It has literally nothing to do with the internet being monitored. Some asshole reported him saying he was threatening to shoot up a school. Even if there was no government monitoring of the internet, this would have played out the exact same way. No matter where you live, that kind of claim is going to be investigated. It has nothing to do with the internet being monitored, it has to do with people misconstruing what others say and taking it to an authority figure rather than dealing with it in person first.

Well said, thanks for pointing it out, although your statement seems to have gone unnoticed :shrug:

--------------------
"You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding."
--Terence McKenna

Animals~Meddle~Wish You Were Here

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: TheMadHighentist]
    #18521529 - 07/06/13 06:22 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

So fuckin retarded. poor kid :facepalm:

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: TheMadHighentist]
    #18521531 - 07/06/13 06:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

TheMadHighentist said:

Well said, thanks for pointing it out, although your statement seems to have gone unnoticed :shrug:

Thanks dude. People on the Shroomery love to think the government is out to get them and that we're living in a police state. :smilingpuppy:

--------------------
Sapere aude

Offlinedevlishtwo
Stranger

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: akira_akuma]
    #18521534 - 07/06/13 06:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

akira_akuma said:
that's terrorism? what a joke.

Soon it'll be walking around with a frown on your face.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 4
    #18521535 - 07/06/13 06:23 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Your naivety is your fatal flaw.

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 2
    #18521537 - 07/06/13 06:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
Quote:

TheMadHighentist said:

Thanks dude. People on the Shroomery love to think the government is out to get them and that we're living in a police state. :smilingpuppy:

Quote:

the government is out to get them and that we're living in a police state.

What?!?!?!

:paranoid:

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18521545 - 07/06/13 06:25 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not naive at all. Threatening to kill elementary school children is not something that will ever be taken lightly if someone feels the need to report it.

Like Envix said, the "lol jk" at the end doesn't mean anything to the legal system. Plus, plenty of psychotic fucks make jokes about their intended mass crimes before committing them. If they let this threat slide and the kid did in fact go on to kill a bunch of kids, it would have been said that the legal system failed. :shrug:

--------------------
Sapere aude

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #18521552 - 07/06/13 06:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

No, in today's America it would've been the dead kids fault for allowing their parents to vote on abortion and same sex marriage.

You're a naturally born US citizen, right?

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #18521553 - 07/06/13 06:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

:whatwhatwhat:

Offlinedevlishtwo
Stranger

#18521562 - 07/06/13 06:29 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The justice system has failed by throwing innocent people in jail.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

#18521567 - 07/06/13 06:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Theres a significant difference between expressing a thought or idea, and acting upon it. That difference is whats supposed to be protected by Freedom of speech laws. When you start making merely talking about things illegal you'll quickly find yourself sliding down a slippery slope towards the totalitarian state of law that Orwell so feared.

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: devlishtwo]
    #18521572 - 07/06/13 06:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

devlishtwo said:

:bigyesnod: :congrats:

OfflineTheMadHighentist
Hacking to the Gate

#18521577 - 07/06/13 06:31 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:
No, in today's America it would've been the dead kids fault for allowing their parents to vote on abortion and same sex marriage.

You're a naturally born US citizen, right?

wat

--------------------
"You have to take seriously the notion that understanding the universe is your responsibility, because the only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding."
--Terence McKenna

Invisiblefalsereality

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: TheMadHighentist] * 1
    #18521578 - 07/06/13 06:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I'm not naive at all. Threatening to kill elementary school children is not something that will ever be taken lightly if someone feels the need to report it.

Like Envix said, the "lol jk" at the end doesn't mean anything to the legal system. Plus, plenty of psychotic fucks make jokes about their intended mass crimes before committing them. If they let this threat slide and the kid did in fact go on to kill a bunch of kids, it would have been said that the legal system failed. :shrug:

I'm not against them looking into it, i think that is fine. Im against the total fucking lack of due process, and restraint of force on the government's side. Oh and this is a police state, and the government is definitely out to get people like us (drug users).

Quote:

TheMadHighentist said:
Interesting what this thread degenerated into :P

Welcome to the shroomery, unfortunately it is commonplace for threads to degradate rapidly :frown:.

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤

Loc: United States of America Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JesusGoneRogue]
    #18521580 - 07/06/13 06:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Damn this is so horrible what they are doing to this kid. Facebook is dangerous. Glad i dont post on facebook. i could black out on accident on alcohol and then post on facebook on accident and wake up in jail. Stories like this make playing with Facebook like playing with a bomb. A prison bomb.

Invisiblefalsereality

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: ShiVersblood]
    #18521585 - 07/06/13 06:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ShiVersblood said:
Damn this is so horrible what they are doing to this kid. Facebook is dangerous. Glad i dont post on facebook. i could black out on accident on alcohol and then post on facebook on accident and wake up in jail. Stories like this make playing with Facebook like playing with a bomb. A prison bomb.

Yah know you aren't as bad as your rating indicates.

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: falsereality] * 1
    #18521587 - 07/06/13 06:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

devlishtwo said:

Obviously but how is the justice system supposed to know the difference between a genuine mass murder threat and a joke? Really, the blame should fall on the narc here. Once something is reported, whatever authority it is reported to has to investigate it. Granted, throwing him in jail seems ridiculous and I'm not sure why he's still in jail if there's genuinely nothing else that suggests he's capable of actually committing his joke. :strokebeard3:

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Theres a significant difference between expressing a thought or idea, and acting upon it. That difference is whats supposed to be protected by Freedom of speech laws. When you start making merely talking about things illegal you'll quickly find yourself sliding down a slippery slope towards the totalitarian state of law that Orwell so feared.

Threatening to commit murder has never and will never be covered by freedom of speech. If you do such a thing out loud in public, you should expect to be taken seriously. The same goes for online networking services. Just like you wouldn't announce serious drug dealing on facebook, you shouldn't expect to be able to make threats (even jokingly) if you have overly sensitive friends. :shrug:

Quote:

falsereality said:

I'm not against them looking into it, i think that is fine. Im against the total fucking lack of due process, and restraint of force on the government's side. Oh and this is a police state, and the government is definitely out to get people like us (drug users).

I agree the lack of due process is disgusting. I don't think it has to do with "the government" though, just the specific people involved in the case.

The government is not concerned with my personal drug use. The local police might be, but even they don't care so long as I'm not doing it openly or bothering anyone else (which goes for legal drugs too, like alcohol).

--------------------
Sapere aude

Offlinedevlishtwo
Stranger

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 1
    #18521591 - 07/06/13 06:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Is a horror movie a prelude to the producer's intention of becoming a serial killer?

OfflineGreySatyr
Pagan-Psyche
Male
Loc: North Carolina
    #18521609 - 07/06/13 06:40 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, I got the same charges at age seventeen for threatening to kill a guy who was stalking my gf at the time, turns out she was cheating on me with him, haha. Bottom line, my mom paid big bucks to some hot shot lawyer and I got out in three weeks without a psychiatric evaluation, a bond or even a court date. I got off scotch free, anyways, I didn't get beat up like this kid either though, lol. Some guys taught me how to make alcohol by fermentation of our apple and orange juice, they also tried teaching me how to make plastic explosives ect. Was an interesting time for sure.

--------------------
...also, go to hell, huh?

OfflineTheMadHighentist
Hacking to the Gate

#18521621 - 07/06/13 06:43 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
Really, the blame should fall on the narc here.

This.

--------------------
--Terence McKenna

OfflineTheMadHighentist
Hacking to the Gate

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: TheMadHighentist] * 1
    #18521627 - 07/06/13 06:44 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Seriously guys, a little paranoia can be good, but too much is (of course) a bad thing

--------------------
--Terence McKenna

InvisibleJesusGoneRogue
 User Gallery

#18521630 - 07/06/13 06:44 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I say a mob of common sensed folk should throw aging vegetables at her.

Invisiblefalsereality

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: GreySatyr]
    #18521637 - 07/06/13 06:45 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GreyMorph said:
Hey, I got the same charges at age seventeen for threatening to kill a guy who was stalking my gf at the time, turns out she was cheating on me with him, haha. Bottom line, my mom paid big bucks to some hot shot lawyer and I got out in three weeks without a psychiatric evaluation, a bond or even a court date. I got off scotch free, anyways, I didn't get beat up like this kid either though, lol. Some guys taught me how to make alcohol by fermentation of our apple and orange juice, they also tried teaching me how to make plastic explosives ect. Was an interesting time for sure.

They treated you well because you were like them, a run of the mill murderer (or at least conspiracy to commit murderer). They treated this kid like shit because he threatened to eat the still beating hearts of children. People in jail hate others that harm children/sexually assault anyone/abuse their wives.

I have to disagree a touch with you TheMadHighentist, the only reason i have a perfectly clean criminal record is because of paranoia.

Edited by falsereality (07/06/13 06:46 PM)

OfflineGreySatyr
Pagan-Psyche
Male
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: falsereality]
    #18521716 - 07/06/13 07:04 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

falsereality said:
Quote:

GreyMorph said:

They treated you well because you were like them, a run of the mill murderer (or at least conspiracy to commit murderer). They treated this kid like shit because he threatened to eat the still beating hearts of children. People in jail hate others that harm children/sexually assault anyone/abuse their wives.

I have to disagree a touch with you TheMadHighentist, the only reason i have a perfectly clean criminal record is because of paranoia.

That is very true although this newer generation doesn't respect the jailhouse code as much as the older guys do/did. I've been bak since then, not that I'm proud of it. However, my record is still clean. The justice system is horribly flawed, I mean horribly flawed for all parties.

--------------------
...also, go to hell, huh?

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#18521732 - 07/06/13 07:09 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

This is so ludicrous. I am waiting for the moment the american public realizes how hard they are getting fucked by law enforcement and riots hard. April 26th 1992 was not too different than a lot of the stuff were seeing now. I guess the powers that be are hoping that iphones and DVRs, unemployment and welfare checks are enough keep the potential mob at bay. so far its working. nobody is doing shit about any of the crooked stuff going on in law enforcement, government, or anything else. That poor kid will rot in prison for another 6 months, then be released with severe PTSD. The public will keep turning their proverbial heads the other way.

Who knows when the next big riot will be, but it will come, and will not just be on the LA scale.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

#18521766 - 07/06/13 07:18 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Threatening to commit murder has never and will never be covered by freedom of speech. If you do such a thing out loud in public, you should expect to be taken seriously. The same goes for online networking services. Just like you wouldn't announce serious drug dealing on facebook, you shouldn't expect to be able to make threats (even jokingly) if you have overly sensitive friends. :shrug:

This was very clearly a joke, and wasnt seriously meant. Judges should be able to differentiate between an actual threat and a sarcastic retort to someone you're having a conversation with.

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Simplepowa]
    #18521801 - 07/06/13 07:26 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I can't say what I want to,
even if I'm not serious.
Things like....
Fuck yourself, fuck Yourself,
you piece of shit, why don't you just go, kill yourself!
I said,
I can't say what I want to, even if I'm not serious.
I can't say what I want to, even if I'm just kiddiiiiingg!

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: ManianFH]
    #18521821 - 07/06/13 07:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mick said:
This is so ludicrous. I am waiting for the moment the american public realizes how hard they are getting fucked by law enforcement and riots hard. April 26th 1992 was not too different than a lot of the stuff were seeing now. I guess the powers that be are hoping that iphones and DVRs, unemployment and welfare checks are enough keep the potential mob at bay. so far its working. nobody is doing shit about any of the crooked stuff going on in law enforcement, government, or anything else. That poor kid will rot in prison for another 6 months, then be released with severe PTSD. The public will keep turning their proverbial heads the other way.

Who knows when the next big riot will be, but it will come, and will not just be on the LA scale.

The next one will be huge. the LA riots were no joke.

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou] * 1
    #18521858 - 07/06/13 07:37 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:

This was very clearly a joke, and wasnt seriously meant. Judges should be able to differentiate between an actual threat and a sarcastic retort to someone you're having a conversation with.

It was very clearly a joke to anyone well versed in sarcasm, I guess. The problem is still that if someone feels the need to report it, it's supposed to be taken seriously and investigated. Obviously the investigation didn't notice that it was all in sarcasm (or there's something more to the story we're not privy to). Which brings up the case of how judges and people in authority are chosen for their positions since some of them are so horrible at comprehending real threats.

--------------------
Sapere aude

Offlinedevlishtwo
Stranger

#18521889 - 07/06/13 07:45 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Unless, of course, he is corrupt, incapable of rational thought and has no sense of humor; which is very likely the case.

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: devlishtwo]
    #18521953 - 07/06/13 07:59 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

This isnt even about what he said. Its about setting an example for everyone else. That you cannot speak freely about these types of things anymore. Its about violence towards schools first, then its about hatred towards them. Eventually it wont even be about schools anymore, expressing hatred towards a political party will become a crime. They'll tip toe this in incrementally and slowly errode your ability to express views contrary to the status quo. They've been at it for quite some time, military style check points are common enough in the states already. Illegal searches, illegal detainment, spying. There clamping down, and clamping hard but their doing it slow enough that most people arnt aware of how quickly the walls are closing in on them. This case is only setting a precedent, acclimatizing you Americans to a more restrictive freedom, you're promised rights but they got clauses. Welcome to the new America, land of the free secure

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Bodhi of Ankou] * 2
    #18521960 - 07/06/13 08:01 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Watch out, you're going to fall down your own slippery slope and break your neck.

Saying you hate school will never be cause for punishment. Saying you're going to kill a bunch of kids is obviously something that someone might take wrong and report you for. I can't believe you're making such a fuss about this. There's a problem with the judicial system in this kid's area, it has nothing at all to do with the government at large.

--------------------
Sapere aude

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

#18521980 - 07/06/13 08:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Its not just this, its everything thats been going on lately. In both my country and your own.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18522002 - 07/06/13 08:09 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
This isnt even about what he said. Its about setting an example for everyone else. That you cannot speak freely about these types of things anymore. Its about violence towards schools first, then its about hatred towards them. Eventually it wont even be about schools anymore, expressing hatred towards a political party will become a crime. They'll tip toe this in incrementally and slowly errode your ability to express views contrary to the status quo. They've been at it for quite some time, military style check points are common enough in the states already. Illegal searches, illegal detainment, spying. There clamping down, and clamping hard but their doing it slow enough that most people arnt aware of how quickly the walls are closing in on them. This case is only setting a precedent, acclimatizing you Americans to a more restrictive freedom, you're promised rights but they got clauses. Welcome to the new America, land of the free secure

Well done.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18522024 - 07/06/13 08:13 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

This went through dude's head when cops showed up to arrest him over this FB post.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#18522035 - 07/06/13 08:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

This is fucked. Now I'm going to think twice about posting sarcastic comments.

Fuck, now I'll have nothing say.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: ganjfather]
    #18522101 - 07/06/13 08:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You think they would have let him go if he said someone hacked his account?

Nah it was too personal.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#18522114 - 07/06/13 08:31 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

They should just not be fucking twats and understand it was a joke.

Christ, I've said things 1000x worse on the internet, but I don't mean it, I just have a dark sense of humor.

--------------------

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: ganjfather]
    #18522189 - 07/06/13 08:45 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

what if the nsa picked up on it and tracked him down?..

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: zZZz]
    #18522224 - 07/06/13 08:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You guys are aware of what you're doing right? Your already starting to self censor because you're scared of that agency.

Invisiblefalsereality

#18522234 - 07/06/13 08:52 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
You guys are aware of what you're doing right? Your already starting to self censor because you're scared of that agency.

I understand perfectly the direction this country is moving in. Saving up to retire to an island somewhere, im done with America.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18522237 - 07/06/13 08:53 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

The end goal of the ideological state apparatus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Althusser#Ideological_state_apparatuses

Because Althusser held that a person's desires, choices, intentions, preferences, judgements, and so forth are the products of social practices, he believed it necessary to conceive of how society makes the individual in its own image. Within capitalist societies, the human individual is generally regarded as a subject endowed with the property of being a self-conscious, "responsible" agent whose actions can be explained by his or her beliefs and thoughts. For Althusser, however, a person's capacity for perceiving him or herself in this way is not innate or given. Rather, it is acquired within the structure of established social practices, which impose on individuals the role (forme) of a subject.[50] Social practices both determine the characteristics of the individual and give him or her an idea of the range of properties that he or she can have, and of the limits of each individual. Althusser argues that many of our roles and activities are given to us by social practice: for example, the production of steelworkers is a part of economic practice, while the production of lawyers is part of politico-legal practice. However, other characteristics of individuals, such as their beliefs about the good life or their metaphysical reflections on the nature of the self, do not easily fit into these categories.

In Althusser's view, our values, desires, and preferences are inculcated in us by ideological practice, the sphere which has the defining property of constituting individuals as subjects.[51] Ideological practice consists of an assortment of institutions called "Ideological State Apparatuses" (ISAs), which include the family, the media, religious organisations, and most importantly in capitalist societies, the education system, as well as the received ideas that they propagate.[52] There is, however, no single ISA that produces in us the belief that we are self-conscious agents. Instead, we derive this belief in the course of learning what it is to be a daughter, a schoolchild, black, a steelworker, a councillor, and so forth.

InvisiblezZZz
jesus

#18522260 - 07/06/13 08:59 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

i have censored my shit for as long ive been on the web, but thats not from fear more from the fact that i am not good at witty remarks. those who have always been doing it i encourage you to keep doing it no matter what, as long as your intentions are good..

keep expressing your minds. say what you feel!

OfflineEggtimer
HotSauce Lover

#18522293 - 07/06/13 09:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not on that type of social media yet.
I've heard it's good to get laid but sounds like a pain in the ass:evil:

--------------------
It's all for the :lol:s

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

#18522297 - 07/06/13 09:07 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Dystopia said:
Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Because Althusser held that a person's desires, choices, intentions, preferences, judgements, and so forth are the products of social practices, he believed it necessary to conceive of how society makes the individual in its own image. Within capitalist societies, the human individual is generally regarded as a subject endowed with the property of being a self-conscious, "responsible" agent whose actions can be explained by his or her beliefs and thoughts. For Althusser, however, a person's capacity for perceiving him or herself in this way is not innate or given. Rather, it is acquired within the structure of established social practices, which impose on individuals the role (forme) of a subject.[50] Social practices both determine the characteristics of the individual and give him or her an idea of the range of properties that he or she can have, and of the limits of each individual. Althusser argues that many of our roles and activities are given to us by social practice: for example, the production of steelworkers is a part of economic practice, while the production of lawyers is part of politico-legal practice. However, other characteristics of individuals, such as their beliefs about the good life or their metaphysical reflections on the nature of the self, do not easily fit into these categories.

In Althusser's view, our values, desires, and preferences are inculcated in us by ideological practice, the sphere which has the defining property of constituting individuals as subjects.[51] Ideological practice consists of an assortment of institutions called "Ideological State Apparatuses" (ISAs), which include the family, the media, religious organisations, and most importantly in capitalist societies, the education system, as well as the received ideas that they propagate.[52] There is, however, no single ISA that produces in us the belief that we are self-conscious agents. Instead, we derive this belief in the course of learning what it is to be a daughter, a schoolchild, black, a steelworker, a councillor, and so forth.

Excellent read :kaneclap:

Offlinedevlishtwo
Stranger

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: zZZz]
    #18522315 - 07/06/13 09:09 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Meanwhile...

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18522342 - 07/06/13 09:14 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Quote:

Dystopia said:
Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Excellent read :kaneclap:

Read all of it, then read all of Althusser.

If you enjoyed that then it's worth going to Amazon for.

OfflineInfiniteToker
Male

#18522762 - 07/06/13 10:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You never seen the commercials about Terrorism? Basically if you see something suspicious (or someone) there is a number to call.  There are a few of the commercials out.  Also neighborhood watch groups etc.

--------------------

"I'm chilling in a room with a view, there's always room for improvement; so i grab my coat and go and prove it"-Method Man

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: InfiniteToker] * 2
    #18522767 - 07/06/13 10:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Neighborhood watch groups like Zimmerman right?

Are we only supposed to kill the browns, but not the blacks, or just all of our brothers and sisters under the Lord Jesus Christ?

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: InfiniteToker]
    #18522790 - 07/06/13 10:39 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SHROOMHUNTSMAN said:
You never seen the commercials about Terrorism? Basically if you see something suspicious (or someone) there is a number to call.  There are a few of the commercials out.  Also neighborhood watch groups etc.

:rofl:

I've actually never seen those. I haven't had regular access to cable since I started college though. Are these a new thing or were they around two years ago and I just didn't notice them?

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineInfiniteToker
Male

#18522865 - 07/06/13 10:58 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Been out for a few years i believe and of course whenever something happens (like boston incident) they get played again. Also anytime in a metro station they play  recordings to notify metro police if you see something suspicious or see abandon bags.    The following is one of many videos presented by DHS

Police Training videos

--------------------

OfflineInfiniteToker
Male

#18522871 - 07/06/13 11:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Im not arguing with you man. I agree its messed up.

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

#18523171 - 07/07/13 12:35 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think we're a terrorist state though, we virtually have countries in our pockets.

OfflineLed Zeppelin
Tripper

#18523203 - 07/07/13 12:48 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:

and were the ones who are paranoid?

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #18523207 - 07/07/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
I don't think we're a terrorist state though, we virtually have countries in our pockets.

It's when they force us all to be the same that we begin to question our identities.

OfflineKonyap

#18523223 - 07/07/13 12:55 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Facebook is fucking dumb shouldn't be on their if you're under 18 and shouldn't be on their if your a nosy mother.

OfflineKevinDontWave
Kiwi Cat
I'm a teapot

Loc: The Desert of the Mind
    #18523260 - 07/07/13 01:06 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

If you're dumb enough to post a school related threat, legitimate or hollow, on Facefuckingbook in the age of zero-tolerance policies you get what's coming to you.

I don't condone anything that happened or is happening to him but he did kinda stick his nuts out there.

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
The circumstances of his arrest and incarceration are, indeed, extreme. "I have been practicing law for 10 years, I've represented murderers, terrorists, rapists. Anything you can think of. I have never seen a bond at $500,000," Carter's attorney, Don Flanary, who has been representing the teenager pro-bono, told NPR.

A former friend had a $500,000 bond after he got arrested for attempted murder so I don't know what Flanary is talking about.

--------------------
:mushroomgrow::awesome2::awebigvaped::mushroomgrow:

:piggy:Pigs treat us as equals. Never wrestle with pigs.:piggy:

OfflineLed Zeppelin
Tripper

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: KevinDontWave]
    #18523280 - 07/07/13 01:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

this is just so fucking sickening. this is only the beginning its just going to get worse from here. how fucking stupid is this bitch who reported him? does anyone know what sarcasm is anymore? and how the fuck does someone on facebook not understand the meaning of lol jk?

Just imagining this case in court is ridiculous...anyone with a brain knows it was a sarcastic comment. what is the prosecution going to say?

OfflineKevinDontWave
Kiwi Cat
I'm a teapot

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Led Zeppelin] * 2
    #18523317 - 07/07/13 01:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Led Zeppelin said:
this is just so fucking sickening. this is only the beginning its just going to get worse from here. how fucking stupid is this bitch who reported him? does anyone know what sarcasm is anymore? and how the fuck does someone on facebook not understand the meaning of lol jk?

Just imagining this case in court is ridiculous...anyone with a brain knows it was a sarcastic comment. what is the prosecution going to say?

If you wanna leave your fate up to the people interpreting the text you post that's your prerogative. I don't agree with any of it but I know that it's 2013. It would be one thing if it was spoken in person, in private, to some friends but it wasn't. It was posted on Facebook (just get the fuck off Facebook to begin with) in a post Columbine/VT/Aurora/SH world. The establishment is chomping at the bit to make an example of people so that the public thinks something is being done about it.

What part of zero tolerance don't people understand? It's not like there's a sarcastic clause or some shit.

--------------------

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: KevinDontWave] * 3
    #18523329 - 07/07/13 01:33 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, just bend over and take it.

Obey.

Offlineganjfather
uncle randy
Male User Gallery

#18523372 - 07/07/13 01:51 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

aiyobro said:
Facebook is fucking dumb, it shouldn't exist.

Fixed that for ya.

--------------------

OfflineKevinDontWave
Kiwi Cat
I'm a teapot

#18523530 - 07/07/13 03:18 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Obey.

Yeah cause that's what I'm implying.

I just remembered that about a year ago 2 coworkers at my then job were shit canned because of a Facebook interaction. Some racial slurs were exchanged along with some sexual/physical threats. These 2 guys were friends and the comments were made in jest and they tried to make this case to our boss but it didn't matter. He had been looking for a reason to fire these guys and they provided him with the reason on a silver platter. If you're still on Facebook in 2013, get the fuck off of there.

As for the "lol and jk" aspect of this case, it's really easy it misinterpret text. The inflection you hear in your head as you type doesn't always translate through text. When the subject matter is "shoot[ing] up a school full of kids and eat[ing] their still, beating hearts" there's a chance someone's going to (over)react to it in a way you didn't intend.

They won't hesitate to frame your comments in a totally irrational manner if it serves their narrative. It wasn't a remark made in passing between a couple 19 year olds in an apartment where the words float off into the ether. He posted it on Facebook for everyone to see and where there would be a record of it. It sucks that we have to worry about this sort of shit but we don't live in a world of "shoulds". When the government and the police and the public at large behave the way they ACTUALLY behave you better act accordingly. Sure they SHOULDN'T do it but the reality is they DO.

--------------------

Edited by KevinDontWave (07/07/13 09:10 AM)

Offlinethirtygoats
Male

#18523841 - 07/07/13 07:22 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I think he was just making a joke and people decided to take it seriously

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: thirtygoats]
    #18524105 - 07/07/13 09:29 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Man reading the OP news story is messed up theres some stupid things that happen in the world

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

OfflineLed Zeppelin
Tripper

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: KevinDontWave]
    #18527703 - 07/07/13 10:25 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

KevinDontWave said:
Quote:

Led Zeppelin said:

If you wanna leave your fate up to the people interpreting the text you post that's your prerogative. I don't agree with any of it but I know that it's 2013. It would be one thing if it was spoken in person, in private, to some friends but it wasn't. It was posted on Facebook (just get the fuck off Facebook to begin with) in a post Columbine/VT/Aurora/SH world. The establishment is chomping at the bit to make an example of people so that the public thinks something is being done about it.

What part of zero tolerance don't people understand? It's not like there's a sarcastic clause or some shit.

zero tolerance for what? freedom of speech or shooting up schools?

the kid made a fucking joke on facebook. jesus christ

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Led Zeppelin]
    #18527723 - 07/07/13 10:30 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Obviously it was a joke but it was in poor taste and it was in public where someone who didn't have a similar sense of humor could see it. Would you go up and tell the same joke to a police officer? Of course not. That's the equivalent of posting things publicly on social media, you never know who is going to be upset by an offensive joke and take it to the authorities. :shrug:

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Led Zeppelin]
    #18527732 - 07/07/13 10:31 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Did they find something sketchy in his house or something?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #18527741 - 07/07/13 10:32 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

That's what I'm wondering, too. If so, I could understand how this got so out of hand. If they didn't find anything sketchy I have no idea why he's still in jail.

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

#18527750 - 07/07/13 10:34 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

Obey.

--------------------
Workers of Shroomery Unite!

Warning: Everything I say is possibly a work of fiction.
Fuck you NSA

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #18527753 - 07/07/13 10:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Half a million in bail is ridiculous unless there was some really good reason.

OfflineThatKidWithTheFace
R.I.P. ZIG R.I.P. Sloth
Male

Loc: All Good in Allgood
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: psi]
    #18527795 - 07/07/13 10:47 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Man, some shit like this happened to a dude I went to highschool with. After the Sandy Hooke shootings, he posted that he could outdo the shooter. Next day the shut down all the schools and the pizza place he worked at then swarmed his house.

This was a big deal for our podunk little town.

--------------------
Check Out My Beats
SoundCloud

[quote]Sheekle said:
[quote]ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Is this the same aunt that fucks dogs?[/quote]
u bet ur ass it is.[/quote]

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook "Terrorist Threat" Is Now On Suicide Watch [Re: ThatKidWithTheFace]
    #18527923 - 07/07/13 11:21 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ThatKidWithTheFace said:
Man, some shit like this happened to a dude I went to highschool with. After the Sandy Hooke shootings, he posted that he could outdo the shooter. Next day the shut down all the schools and the pizza place he worked at then swarmed his house.

This was a big deal for our podunk little town.

They did this after columbine when I was in high school.

The FBI broke into their houses and actually found firearms, explosives, trenchcoats and hitlists.

OfflineSmokey420
Male User Gallery

#18527935 - 07/07/13 11:27 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Shouldn't there have been a middle-ground here? Maybe this lady was right (not in my opinion) in reporting this kid; But Shouldn't they not have arrested this kid when they didn't find any weapons or hit-lists?

--------------------
Workers of Shroomery Unite!

Warning: Everything I say is possibly a work of fiction.
Fuck you NSA

OfflineShortbusExplosion
Stranger

Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: Smokey420]
    #22383086 - 10/15/15 11:39 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with this. To be honest if I had billions of dollars to blow I would pay someone to bomb a police station. Fuck the police, they don't protect the innocent, they just want anybody to throw in jail

Edited by ShortbusExplosion (10/15/15 11:40 AM)

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
Re: Teenager Jailed for Facebook [Re: ShortbusExplosion]
    #22383662 - 10/15/15 02:12 PM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Why not just use your billions of dollars to start anti-police propaganda and undermine them in the society they "protect?"
If you do what you're saying, you just make a martyr out of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order