Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Curing Paintings...
    #1839358 - 08/22/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Now, I'm not talking so much about the chemistry of aging a painting before you can varnish it -- I'm talking more about psychologically "curing" a painting to see where exactly you are in the process of making it -- achieving emotional distance and perspective, if you will...

Now, back when I worked a lot, it was often simply a matter of taking the problematic ones, and leaning them face against the wall for several months until you forgot all about them, and then looking at them. Surprisingly enough, often when I did this, and then looked at them many months later, I often found the the most problematic ones were actually done, and we exemplary samples of what De Kooning would have called "powerful middles!" Often as not, it was some of my best work...

However, I don't have the luxury of that kind of time right now, so I have been looking for a shortcut. I have spent many a long afternoon with them outside -- staring at them intensely -- trying to "will" them into submission, and that has been good. I have also used the old trick they teach you, as a freshman in art school, of holding them up in a mirror, and that always works in a pinch, but tonight, I have discovered a new method! We'll call it the voyeur/peeping-tom method... :wink:

I have all these things stuck up all over the walls of my cabin, and then when I go outside for a smoke, I look at them through the windows -- basking in the yellow-orange incandescent electric light of indoors at nighttime. What I have found is that they look different -- like they are somebody else's paintings on somebody else's walls, and this does in fact become yet another "quickie" method for psychological curing!

I just thought I'd share some of the little problems and solutions in my little world! :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Curing Paintings... [Re: Papaver]
    #1839406 - 08/22/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

wow... very interesting.
Now see I make music, and i find similar obstacles. I suppose with any creation you have to find a way to take an outsider's or 3rd person perspective in order to critique its completion.

I'd love to see some of your work pap, what mediums do you use?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Curing Paintings... [Re: Blastrid]
    #1839518 - 08/22/03 02:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Here?s a small one, I finished up today, that I rather like. I haven?t titled it yet, so let?s call it... "Desafinado" Since I was listening to Bossa Nova earlier... :wink:

Desafinado, 9 x 12 inches, Acrylic on Cotton Rag Paper 

--------------------

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #1839765 - 08/22/03 06:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I make music too.

I burned a cd full of unfinished music.. Put it on my table and went outside... And indeed the cd looked differend.. It hasn't helped me much with the music... But i'm still trying to become a 3rd person..  :nut: 

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#1840477 - 08/22/03 11:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

as usual, i love it =)

you have a very distinct style, and your original avatar made me think a lot more than almost any other painting i've ever seen ...

art that makes me think =  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1842417 - 08/22/03 10:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ah man, thats cool. IT makes me feel good, its like its got ryhtym to a craziness. Cool, calm, controlled, yet messy and blended well. I like it  :laugh: .

--------------------
What?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Curing Paintings... [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1842664 - 08/23/03 12:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Zero7a1 said:
Ah man, thats cool. IT makes me feel good, its like its got ryhtym to a craziness. Cool, calm, controlled, yet messy and blended well. I like it  :laugh:

Thanks! Seriously, I think that statement pretty much sums up what I strive for, when I work! :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#1849728 - 08/25/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

papaver said:
Here?s a small one, I finished up today, that I rather like. I haven?t titled it yet, so let?s call it... "Desafinado" Since I was listening to Bossa Nova earlier... :wink:

Desafinado, 9 x 12 inches, Acrylic on Cotton Rag Paper 

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1858140 - 08/28/03 06:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you think it was the light that did it or standing a longer distance than usual back from it?

Yeah I find giving art pieces some time helps. Though if you don't have time for that it is hard. I often ask myself what I would have to do to it to be happy putting it on my own wall if it did'nt sell. Sometimes triggers something. I also need to like it up close and from far away.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Curing Paintings... [Re: enotake2]
    #1858172 - 08/28/03 06:26 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

enotake2 said:
Do you think it was the light that did it or standing a longer distance than usual back from it?

It is both, or a combination of the two, anyway...

I find, that it is really about any sort of trick, you can play on yourself, to get some degree psychological distance from the work. Sometimes, it's also best just to obliterate something that you're stuck on, and keep moving forward. I've been very productive this week, and that means that I have totally destroyed a couple of nice very passages of paint to keep moving forward, and the end result was well worth the sacrifice. Sometimes, you can get too hung up on a nice passage of paint, and the only way around it is to sacrifice it to the greater whole... :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#1858920 - 08/28/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quick question...do you sell/show these?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Curing Paintings... [Re: adrug]
    #1858970 - 08/28/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes. In fact, I'm getting ready to take a group of small paintings to a gallery in another state next week, and then when I get back, I want to secure a gallery relationship in my current state, as well. I have also been selling a few works online to friends and fellow shroomerites. It feels nice to be making art again, as that is when I have always been happiest and most centered.

My degree is in art, and I had the beginnings of a nice little career in art about ten years ago, but I stopped painting because I got involved in that whole dot-com thing, and back in the early nineties it looked like a smart move to easy riches. However, it wasn't, so these past two years I've been trying to get back to making art, and this summer I think I finally broke the ice! :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale