Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Just a few pics of a days adventure...
    #1849679 - 08/25/03 10:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

These were actually taken about 2 weeks ago; I was going to get back out and snap more shots but never did. Now I must wait for some good rains again. Anyway, here are a few mushrooms I found. I take pictures of them all; they can all be beautiful in their own way. Anyway, on with it:

Found an interesting white and brown coral the other day too, I wish I would have had my camera then...

There were also purple and green colored mushrooms similar to this one. Russula I presume?

Whoa... Scary...

I will go out again and get more pictures. There is one variety out there that I have never seen identified in a book, although I have seen a picture. A very interesting thing that looks like a white flower, but it is more translucent. I am pretty sure it would be classified as a fungus. I go out quite a bit, but don't always carry my camera.

There were plenty more species out there, but it started to rain on this day, and we were late for a meeting. I am not looking for an ID for any of them, so don't flame me for leaving out details. I also forgot my notebook to write down descriptions of the mushrooms, but you could always guess if you like. The fungi are diverse around here from this time until winter so I will post more pictures when conditions are favorable...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Just a few pics of a days adventure... [Re: ATWAR]
    #1849796 - 08/25/03 11:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Nice photos.

Your suspected Russula is either a Russula or a Lactarius (and I suspect Russula). They come in all sorts of bright colors.

You like to photograph the Amanitas. They're nice subjects for it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Just a few pics of a days adventure... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1849891 - 08/25/03 11:40 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

very colorfull pics! 5 shrooms for u!

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #1850272 - 08/26/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

your first mushroomes may be deceivers (edible) but id need to see the underside.

the coral fungus you have is poisonous, do not eat

the red one you have is "the sickener" a poisonous russla

the purple/green ones you described, if they have more rubbery, (as opposed to brittle) gills and flesh than the sickeners, are charcoal burners, an edible russla

the translucent "fungus-flower" you found is in fact a plant known as "indian pipe"

the other mushrooms you have are amanitas, the yellow one is amanita muscaria var. formosa, i would not sugges eating it, unless you wanna throw up.

the little one might be ananita virosa,
the brownish one... amanita vaginata, it is possible they are BOTH the latter, i would advize AGAINST consumption

--------------------

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Just a few pics of a days adventure... [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1850335 - 08/26/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Your picture of the Russula was of great help for me. I have some red ones growing right now nerby in some woods. I almost mstaked them for anmantas (spelling)... but wasnt going to risk anything.

I know there are magic shrooms in this state... but damm they are so hard to fine. A friend of mine is trying to see if the Welli will adapt out side here and by fall we should soon know.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Just a few pics of a days adventure... [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1850405 - 08/26/03 03:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mitchnast said:

the translucent "fungus-flower" you found is in fact a plant known as "indian pipe"

Thank you very much! That?s all I wanted, was a name. This is very interesting to me. It seemed like a fungi to me as it almost had what appeared to be mycelum at the base of the stem. But I was really wondering what the hell it used for the spore dispersal method, and why I have never seen them before (obviusly if you look for plants in a mushroom book, your destined for failure). Also, when they die they don?t disappear like most mushrooms; they dry out and turn brown like a plant. Now I find out that it is actually a plant is quite interesting. According to this link it lives in symbiosis with fungi since it has no chlorophyll... They sure got my attention fast. I never seen them before. I was checking a small burn site from earlier this year, and they were everywhere.

http://www.wellesley.edu/Activities/homepage/web/Species/pindianpipe.html

Now, I never intended to eat any of these species, my ID attempts and knowledge told me they were inedible, or too close to call without proper examination. After I forgot my notebook and printing paper, I figured it was just a photo trip. Actually the purple/green ones I believe to be Russula variata, but then again I never really examined all their features. I will try to get pictures of them if they are still out.

The Amanitas are everywhere out there, probably making up 50-75% of total mushrooms in some areas, quite a few different ones. They do make nice pictures, especially the Muscaria variety? Now, I do not intend to eat these but, I was under the impression that Amanita Muscaria var. formosa was edible, and was similar to the red variety... Or do they contain other toxins as well as the ones contained in Muscaria var. Muscaria?

There are only a select few species of wild mushrooms I will eat, and I really don?t care to try any that are previously unknown to my stomach. Perhaps I would try a new one if I were 100% sure of its ID, but usually doubt sets in and I stick to what my family has collected. I do wish to try the honey mushroom someday, if I properly find and identify it... I just love mushrooms in their natural habitat. Just step into the woods for 5 minutes and you will see dozens of species. Although mushrooms are easy to find, it is hard finding that perfect specimen that makes a good photo. Anyway, thanks for the complements and suggestions. I promise next time to have at least twice as many pictures, with descriptions.

There were a couple I found the day I forgot my camera that I would like to have identified. I could not locate them in my books and pin it down exactly. I need a microscope...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1850457 - 08/26/03 03:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Oh,

I do not think that brownish Amanita is vaginata, this has a basal bulb not a sac. I do not know the ID, Amanitas can be very hard to identify, especially with so many variations. It's usually not possible for me to pin ID's of mushrooms down with 100% certainty except ones I have hunted for years (and these are usually some of the easiest to ID). There is always a bit of doubt in my mind, or that I have a new species of poisonous look-alikes...

I also don't think the little white guy was the destroying angel. It was lacking a veil, and the basal bulb was not like I would expect to find on Amanita virosa.

The risks of misidentification far outweigh the benefits of tasting a wild mushroom IMO. You can never be 100% sure that you have found what someone else has described and photographed in another part of the country. Of course when mushroom hunting the old saying: "better safe than sorry" will save your life, without a doubt.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinedarkmaula
    #1852059 - 08/26/03 06:26 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pictures :thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification