Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear!
    #1848361 - 08/25/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How will I be able to heat my fruiting chamber when winter strikes down on us in the northwest with 30 degree temps? My house only heats up to about 70 in the winter.. How can I get my fruiting chamber to 80 without spending money, or how can I do it the most economical way? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: whole9]
    #1848390 - 08/25/03 01:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

with winter coming up, so does my indoor growing season. If your house is sufficiently heated to a comfortable temperature then it should suffice, just place it in a warmer area of the house (on top of the fridge or in the attic if it doesn't get too hot.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: soochi]
    #1848970 - 08/25/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I used to put my stuff in the bathroom, it's always about 77F there. But you can use a heating pad or a light bulb to heat a terrarium, but you'll need some sort of thermostat to keep the temperature from soaring...

Anonymous

Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: koraks]
    #1849012 - 08/25/03 04:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Put a fishtank heater in a tub of water and set it to the temp you want and put your chamber floating in the water it heats it great

Offlinedanelectro
Disenfranchised

Loc: Left of Oblivion
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: fee]
    #1850466 - 08/26/03 01:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with fee that is a great method, if space is a concern a good heater (200watts is good) in a pickle jar or other large jar provides good heat for incubation but as far as NW weather goes my house has crappy heat and I never had a problem with fruiting I didn't try to heat at all and I had no real problems, at night it may be a problem but like I said fishtank heaters are great and not that expensive.

--------------------
We should really love each other, in peace and harmony. Instead we're fussing and fighting, like we ain't supposed to be.-Bob Marley
The people, the still sleeping mass which it was necessary to mobilize and its vanguard, the guerrillas.
-Che

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: danelectro]
    #1850742 - 08/26/03 07:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Your mushrooms will grow, even with temperatures in the 60's. They will grow very slow compared to warmer temperatures, but you may have an added benefit of getting mushrooms of higher potency. It has been rumored by others that slower fruiting with cooler temperatures will yeild more potent shrooms. I have noted similar results, but not anything I can present with certainty.

For incubation use the rubbermaid inside the rubbermaid method with a fishtank heater as fee mentioned. It works very well and you could even adopt it as your fruiting chamber if needed.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1850786 - 08/26/03 08:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, nor'west is somewhat tough in the winter.  Seems like the warmest parts of the house are also the most dirty.  One thing that seems to happen is more condensation on the terrarium walls.  The whole warm against cool=condensation equation :wink:  I used to find it was actually a problem, and had to get domed/triangular lids and such to prevent severe drippage onto casings.  Not so much the case in summer.  It's not a big deal.  Just believe in the part of you that says 'I can'. 

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: Suntzu]
    #1850836 - 08/26/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

what my foaf does is, use a closet or something, block it off with a heavy blanket, then buy one of those ceramic space heaters with a thermostat on it that automatically turns off once the room reaches a certain temp...then you have no worries! Since my FOAF grows in a cooler climate, and his closet is in his basement, he needs to have a space heater all year round and he gets great results.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: GregHimself]
    #1850976 - 08/26/03 10:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

aren't you worried about the heavy blanket catching fire? I use a small space heater too.

Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Dam winters almost here :\ im starting to feel fear! [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #1851012 - 08/26/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

70s? the parameter is like 75,
you'll be alright ...i cant wait till winter gets here..i live in a basement apt..so it gets pretty nippy but blankets or submersible heater should do fine .windtr should be a easier fruiting time for me!lol woohoO!it all depends on your surroundings...dont use a light buld >it KIlss mad eletricity..lol..blanket! a thick one

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1851115 - 08/26/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Dont you a have a central heating system in you house ?
Just keep thermostat to house set at desirable temp range .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1851116 - 08/26/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Dont you a have a central heating system in your house ?
Just keep thermostat to house set at desirable temp range .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix