Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
What Do We Do With Our Time
    #1847686 - 08/25/03 09:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, each and every one of us are presented with the gift of time. Of course, how much time we get in our life depends on how long we live, but when we are alive, we have the ability to do whatever we fucking wish with the time we have.

What did you do in the past hour? What are you planning on doing in the next hour? Some of us in an hour may have decided to smoke a bowl, or do the laundry, catch a nap, listen to some music, or maybe have sex... (The kid just woke up, and my time for making this post is now limited.. hehe).

Some people plan out their day, what they will do with their time; they take a real organized approach to planning. Some people have some general plan that they wish to work towards, but aren't too set in their plans from day to day, just as long as the work that needs to be done is done. Others just take each day as it comes and don't really have any plans at all that they work towards.

Myself, I usually spend my time towards something I enjoy, mostly something music-orientated. This works out for me, because I enjoy it and it is also something that can sustain me throughout the years.

But what about ya'll? A minute is the same length of time for everyone (only the perception of how long it is is different..), so what do you do with your time? Do you work towards some general direction? Acknowledge the fact that we have the choice of what we wish to do with each moment?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1847695 - 08/25/03 09:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines"

a few weeks ago i was filling my time productively. every minute.
I can pass the time keep myself occupied with the TV or listening to music, but what have I achieved at the end of it?

I generally just roll with how im feeling, there may be a few things i have to do, and ill fit them in when I feel like it, although i may never feel like it.

"and then one day you find ten years have got behind you"

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1847698 - 08/25/03 09:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I try to take care of what my future goals first so I can enjoy day to day stuff. I try not to think about what to do, but rather spontaneously do it. Sometimes I may want to go to the forest, other times I want to see a movie, the list goes on. In the back of my mind though I try to treat everyday as though it would be my last. Not for depressing reasons, rather to enjoy and appreciate everything a lot more, such as my friends and my own life for instance.

But yeah I'm in school now, doing 2 jobs, and hanging out here and there. :smile: 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Anonymous

#1847724 - 08/25/03 09:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well I just woke up from my nights rest on the back porch. First thing I did was go out back and look for slugs on my patch. I onley planned two things to day one was to read more of my book "Rule of The Bone" by Russell Banks. Now the second thing I had planned on doing is heading out to the record shop and getting the Dub Side of the Moon. After that who nows. I dont plan ahead to much cuz its easyest to get disapointed that way. I am always working on bettering my self some how. Like now I am reading an awsome book. I havn't read any thing since I was forced to in school. While I am out today I am also planning on buying a jurnal. I have spent a long time living in a cloudy pot and alcohol haze. I am working now on cleaning out the cobwebs. Just ta let yall no this dosnt mean That I am stopping smoking and drinking but using it in moderation. Instead of living life all dissapointed that I dont have a sack and then when I do have a sack smoking it untill my brain is shot, I now puff to feel comfortably lifted. I am still a long way of from my desired goal but that is what I am doing with each minute of my day. Working at getting to that higher level.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1847728 - 08/25/03 09:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

"and then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
--------------------
I am a traveler of both time and space to be where I have been

Stop it! Quoting lyrics from two of my favourite Floyd and Zeppelin songs makes my head try to play them simultaneously. Aaaaarrrrgh!

:tongue: 

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1847759 - 08/25/03 10:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hehe, they are also my 2 fave zep n floyd songs :smile:

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineDigs
Stranger
Male

Loc: aca
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1848244 - 08/25/03 02:21 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome topic :smile:

Right now I'm in a period of my life where I'm just being.

I'm half-assed pursuing goals of music (been playing my roomate's bass for about a year, I really need to get one of those things :P), meditation, basically just searching.

I'm in my last year of training for a degree that I know I'm not going to work in (Quantitative Finance), as I entered into it basically because of the draw of a huge mathematical system that I could beat.  The science of money, however, holds no interest for me whatsoever now :smile:

So to answer your question....I just use my time to be in the now.  While I know I should probably have a conscience (sp) goal, I'm just letting the waters take me where they will for now :smile:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Digs]
    #1848351 - 08/25/03 03:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The beauty of the thing is that time is ours for whatever purpose we see fit.. it ties in directly with free will.

It is really difficult for us to constantly pursue only the things that please us.. I mean, you don't have to spend your time at work, but if there are certain things you want, you have to go to work.. A lot of things are just necessary things that must be completed to be able to enjoy the other things that really interest us.. The trick is, is to trick yourself into liking all the necessary, less satisfying tasks, so that you constantly enjoy everything you do with your time..

It is important for me to have some direction to work towards, because without it, I'd end up in some position that I would not enjoy at all. I am deeply interested in music, and I do what I can towards that when I have the chance. Right now, my band isn't together, but we are using the off-time to improve our techniques, expand our knowledge of music in general, and to come up with ideas we can use to write our first songs..

I mean, it will eventually be something that will consume all of our time. That doesn't bother me, though, since it is what I really desire to do.. so I just sort of flow and don't focus too much on it now, but still learn and try to craft some songs.. When my new bass arrives (my old one isn't even here) I will definitely be playing that most of the time.. hehe
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #1848546 - 08/25/03 04:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I spend entirely too much of my abundant free time occupying myself with meaningless distractions. I smoke weed roughly 2 or 3 times a day, and since reading is a near impossible feat while stoned, I don't get much of that done, nor do I get much writing done.

I usually listen to an album or two, which is great, but not exactly productive. Sometimes I just sit and daydream about everything and nothing. Sometimes I play stupid video games, and sometimes I flip through the channels of the ULTIMATE distraction known as TV.

Sometimes I do all or some of the above with friends, and some time is spent on stimulating conversation.

All of these things I realize, yet I continue to misuse my time, procrastinating and being lazy. There is so much that a part of me wants to do, yet I can't seem to get out of my routines of stagnation. I have moments of inspiration where my higher self kicks in and tells me everything that I need to start doing on a daily basis. Reading, working on my writing projects, picking up that guitar, exercising regularly, preparing nutritious meals for myself and my friends... yet I lack the motivation.

Excuse me if you're not interested, but admitting these things to myself is therapy, and I hope you don't mind that I've written it here on the s&p forum. Maybe today will be different. Maybe I'll kick myself in the ass today, into doing something constructive, creative, productive.

Anyone suffering similar routines of procrastination?

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Edited by Amnesiac (08/25/03 04:17 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1848601 - 08/25/03 04:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Amnesiac said:
There is so much that a part of me wants to do, yet I can't seem to get out of my routines of stagnation. I have moments of inspiration where my higher self kicks in and tells me everything that I need to start doing on a daily basis. Reading, working on my writing projects, picking up that guitar, exercising regularly, preparing nutritious meals for myself and my friends... yet I lack the motivation.

Excuse me if you're not interested, but admitting these things to myself is therapy, and I hope you don't mind that I've written it here on the s&p forum. Maybe today will be different. Maybe I'll kick myself in the ass today, into doing something constructive, creative, productive.

No, man, I'm very interested. In fact, that's why I started this thread.

I have always dealt with some kind of procrastination, but for the most part, I've continously tried to kick it in the ass, and I am always slowly overcoming it. There are still some things I procrastinate about, or sometimes just rather forget about doing them, but it isn't like you just change your behaviour patterns in one day; it is a continous, slow, evolving process, and the first thing you must do is realize that.

If you have moments where your higher self kicks in and tells you what you need to be doing, then there is hope. If these are things that you truly wish to be spending your time doing (and reading, working on writing, exercising reguarily, especially picking up that guitar, and eating healthy are definitely things worth doing), than you are already on the way.

The thing with lack of motivation and procrastination is that you are telling yourself in your mind, directly or indirectly, that what you are thinking about doing either doesn't need to be done right now, or that your alternative (watching tv, etc.) is worth more right now.

If you truly want to get into doing these things, than you need to be telling yourself that you truly wish to do them, that you aren't doing them unless you are doing them right now, and that unless their is truly something that has to be completed or worked on that is more important, there is absoultetly no reason why you can't be doing those things now.

Changing behaviour patterns takes consistency and determination. You can't put off chaning your pattern of behaviour, because if you put it off, you are still continuing the previous behaviour pattern. You can only start to change yourself by actually changing yourself, no matter how uncomfortable it is or how much your mind fights it.

Keep up hope and steadfast determination. And, like I said, it isn't really possible to change completely in one day. It is a process. If you usually never read at all in a day, start reading once a day, maybe ten minutes. Maybe just run and get the mail instead of walking. Pick up the guitar once a day and play for just five minutes.

Introduce these new activities slowly. Just five/ten minutes each. Then start expanding on them. Just continously, slowly build on them. And remember, you can't put things off forever.. hehe
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
    #1848679 - 08/25/03 04:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the inspiration and reminder fireworks... can't say the ol' higher self hasn't already lectured me on most of what you've just said, but amongst this sea of distractions, I sometimes forget. And of course, you are right on.

I think that I spend too much time focusing on end results. I'm looking too far into the future.

A good analogy would be the climbing of a very high mountain. Most of the time, I sit there looking at the mountain, commenting to myself how very large and intimidating it is, imagining just how much time and energy it'll take to reach the summit... of course if I focus on that all the time it'll seem like an impossible feat... but I need to remember that it's not the end result of the journey that I should look forward to, but the journey itself.

The best thing to do, I suppose, is to look at that mountain and break it down into a series of small steps, each one not only bringing me closer to the summit, but making me feel good, like I am accomplishing something. And who knows what strange obstacles I'll encounter on the way, making the journey all the more interesting.

It's these things that I, and anyone else stuck in a routine of procrastination, should be focusing on.

Suddenly I'm recalling a Tony Robbins infomercial... hehehehe... time to awaken the giant within!

I'm going to go and work out a bit in my basement, right now. That's a step, and like you said fireworks, even a small amount of time dedicated to doing something productive each day is a start... and that can potentially turn into much more than just 10 minutes of reading or 5 minutes of guitar playing.

Thanks again for the inspiration, it's just what I needed!

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1848755 - 08/25/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

No problem, I've been in the same place, and in certain aspects, I still am!

Just never give up, because that gives procrastination and lack of motivation the victory. And don't identify too much with how you acted in the past, whether or not you didn't get off the couch on this day, or whatever, because it is a lot easier to change patterns without the old one constantly being brought into mind..

Always remember that everything you are doing now is a step towards some position in the future.. only you control where you are putting your feet. As we are always moving our feet, we should always remember this.. lest we end up walking blindly to some location that we do not want to be at, and that the escape out of that location is more difficult and time consuming (or maybe even impossible) than arriving there in the first place.. (shitty analogy, yeah I know, but sue me.. )
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1849614 - 08/25/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

whatever I'm doing, I'd rather be getting high :smile:

I know what you mean, sometimes I just can't believe that I actually wasted some of my time on being in a foul mood... why would I ever do such a thing?!?!?!  :nut:

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Malachi]
    #1850073 - 08/26/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I am unsure on my views of time. Why yes, we can do whatever the fuck we want too, but there is limitations. Get caught with weed, go to jail, BAM no freedom of time....

I also find society today says that we CANT do whatever the hell we want with our time. Sure, it would be nice, but reality kicks in and says " if you want to go somewhere, you have too do things you dont want to do too get ahead"... now there is always aceptions too this..

It saddens me the world is in the shape it is today. Wasteful societies abroad...

I had the chance to go to brazil a while back, and they are a huge improvement upon american soceity(ethics wise) but still lack...

Why do we choose to destroy the earth with our time???

*rant off* :mad:

OfflineClover
phenomenal woman
Loc: Beyond the Veil
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1879134 - 09/03/03 10:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Anything done with passion is worth doing....

--------------------
"Those sweet excesses I do adore."

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1879240 - 09/03/03 11:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I work, I sleep, I breathe, I eat, I play music, I spend time with my loved one, I listen to music, I paint, I meditate, I smoke cannabis, I eat psilocybin mushrooms, I enjoy trees, I feel the wind, I practice martial arts, I battle demons, I confront my fears I heal within, I open my third eye and absorb the radiant multidimensional light emitted by our star, I experience, I make friends, I talk sometimes, I think, I ponder, I write, I bleed, I play music, I listen to music, I play shows, I post on the shroomery, I breathe music, I bond, I break bonds, I create, I destroy, I get angry, I learn, I try and roll with the punches, I live, I hate, I love, I am. And whatever else strikes me.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Shroomism]
    #1880407 - 09/04/03 07:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh.. free will, it is a blessing and a half..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #1880564 - 09/04/03 10:07 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

That's a very interesting question.
I'll get back to you on it..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #1880569 - 09/04/03 10:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The best thing to do, I suppose, is to look at that mountain and break it down into a series of small steps, each one not only bringing me closer to the summit, but making me feel good, like I am accomplishing something.

Yep. Big things are made of small things. Even the awesome mountain itself made of atoms.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: What Do We Do With Our Time [Re: Clover]
    #1881007 - 09/04/03 01:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Anything done with passion is worth doing....

Torture? Rape?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology