Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
"In all revolutions..."
    #1845794 - 08/24/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

...the agents of change - usually a small core of fired-up individuals - reach a personal point of reckoning where to do nothing becomes harder than to step forward."

Then come the televised actions, the rebellions on campus, the random acts of defiance in high schools, supermarkets, malls, workplaces.  A mass of support accrues.  The little daily confrontations escalate.  Momentum builds."

And finally, revulotion ignites."

We don't need a million activists to jump start this revolution.  We just need an influential minority that smells the blood, siezes the moment and pulls off a set of well-coordinated marketing strategies.  We need a certain level of collective disillusionment (a point I think we have now reached) and then we need the leaders of the affluent "first" nations of the world to fumble a crisis like a stock market collapse or mismanage an environmental crisis like global warming.  By waiting for the right moment and then jamming in unison, I think a global network of a few hundred activists can pull off the coup.  Like J.K. Galbraith's achetypal "revolutionary", we will kick in the rotten door and charge into the vacuum.  We create a sudden, unexpected moment of truth - a global mindshift - from which the corporate/consumerist forces never fully recover."

- Kalle Lasn Culture Jam

It's time for me to become one of them.  I'm outtie.  I'll be back every so often to say hi and maybe to rant a bit.  I might even come share some sucess stories, and probably some frustrating failures as well.  I thank you all for your time and energies and opinions and biases and bigotries and hope and fears.  I have learned much in my short time with you kids, and I hope I can pass on a bit of what I've learned to others.

And, although I think I've mentioned this once or twice...

Y'all go do something!

:laugh: 

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1845948 - 08/24/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Like I hinted in a previous post, I'm going to leave this site myself to spend more of my time doing something, than just sitting in front of my computer reaching a handful of people.

The debate's been great.  Thanks for all the opposing viewpoints, because it helps me better understand everything that's going on.  Like you Gern, I'll probably check in once in a while, but I won't make too many more posts or read every thread anymore.

Keep fighting to return the power from the big corporations back to the PEOPLE where it belongs.  At least most people here are smart enough to realize that neither the Republicans or the Democrats are best for the country (at least not the "electable" ones).  Let's keep fighting to get a 3rd party in power!!!  Always support instant runoff voting (IRV) or something similar that will allow a 3rd party to have a chance.  See you guys around.  :stoned:   

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: Cornholio]
    #1845988 - 08/24/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Screw that. Stay here and argue with me. You two are my favorite libbies on here. :frown:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1845996 - 08/24/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Now you I'll miss.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1846214 - 08/24/03 06:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

YES! Culture Jam is an EXCELLENT read - I highly recommend it for anybody sick of seeing people almost automatically funneled helplessly into this corporate machine..

Adbusters gets some BRILLIANT ideas out to the public when occasinally a television network shows the balls to air one of their anti-establishment spots www.adbusters.org

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: Strumpling]
    #1846243 - 08/24/03 06:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, schools starting up day after tomorrow, so it's not like I'll have as much time to blow. I'll still be on the philosophy board every now and then to get paper ideas for my epistemology class worked out though.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1846539 - 08/24/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey thanks shakta and lds.  Really.  I obviously haven't let go completely yet, as I'm finishing up too many existing debates.  But I enjoy debating the both of you a lot too.  I learned a bunch from you guys, whether I admit it in the debates or not!    :thumbup: :heartpump: :grin: 

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1846575 - 08/24/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've left and come back a few times. It's good for you.

Take a break. You can always jump right back in some time down the road.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: wingnutx]
    #1846645 - 08/24/03 08:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ya, I suspect that's what may happen.  But it seems like when I'm on here, I always spend WAY too much time.  When I first logged on tonight, I gave myself a 1 hour maximum for replying to existing messages.  I think I've been online now for about four hours now...  :smirk:   

--------------------

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1849496 - 08/25/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Kalle is a real eye opener, Culture Jam was one of the first activist slants I read and it changed my llife.  It is so exciting to see the opening of so many eyes, it gives one hope.

I was watching the 40th anniversary of MLKs march on washington this weekend and the older generation had all this psychobabble about how they were passing the torch from the "sit in" generation to the hip hop generation or gen x.. and they found so much time in their speeches to tell us we should be getting up off of our lazy asses and doing something.  They say we have no drive, no determination and no organization and they are partly right.  But personally, I say fuck the baby boomers and the "sit in" generation, they stood at a pinnacle where world change was happening.. Nixon got ousted, the vietnam war stopped and they dropped the fucking ball so they could go work 60-70 hour work weeks, humping the american dream while computers babysat us and ritalin gave them a way to not interact when they were present.  Most people over 40 are so clueless at this point to the fact that they have swallowed so much media fed bullshit for so long that they arent even human anymore.  They are just american. 

You see it on these boards, you see it in real life.  And it's always their view that they have lived and understand how the world works more then the bright eyes of some young jammer, out there effecting real change.  Age old crap. Tthis generation may be lazy, but atleast it still possesses its soul.

So get your ass out there and wake some people up!  Sing Country Joe McDonald's Fixing to die rag at your next city coucill meeting..  hand out adbusters subscription cards at your local mall.  Bump some sounds from  http://www.protest-records.com/mp3/index.html while cruising mainstreet.  Do something wacky and crazy and brilliant all at once.. but you are right, we have to do something :smile:

I wish you alot of luck and fantastic times and people that change your life.  You will find that when you get out there in the movement so much more seems possible then discussing it on a computer screen.  I'm sure you already have great ideas and here are some links to get others started.

http://www.carolmoore.net/sfm/
http://www.earthfuture.com/stopthewar/  -- some things you can do
http://sept.globalizethis.org/article.php?id=14  -- good tools on getting organized and getting the word out.
http://www.antiwarnetwork.org/index.php  - if you are a student, these people might be worth a look
http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?list=type&type=21  -- another student group
http://www.moveon.org/mediacorps/  - join the media corps

If anyone is down for nonviolent revolution through information exchange and would like to join the movement let me know and Im sure I can direct you to some sister/brother organizations in your area.

Gern, just a thought... from reading some of your other posts it seems like outsourcing might be a topic that is profouncdly impacting your life (posts about the inability to find a decent job)..  I think that outsourcing is a hugely overlooked issue politically but it affects many people in a way that can bring change. :smile:

--------------------

Edited by PsiloKitten (08/25/03 08:01 PM)

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1849581 - 08/25/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Most people over 40 are so clueless at this point to the fact that they have swallowed so much media fed bullshit for so long that they arent even human anymore. They are just american.

You see it on these boards, you see it in real life. And it's always their view that they have lived and understand how the world works more then the bright eyes of some young jammer, out there effecting real change. Age old crap. Tthis generation may be lazy, but atleast it still possesses its soul.

truer words have never been spoken..erm, typed that is :smile:

it's lame how all the neocons on this board gang up and act like they're badasses preaching the true "rational" word.  old geezer never beens.  at least us young people still have an uncertain future, we *might* just do something meaningful.  that can't be said for the oldies (of course, the ones on this board will say that it's the '60's radical influence that's to blame.. :lol: )

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: Malachi]
    #1849664 - 08/25/03 08:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Some of us "neoconservatives" (I guess that is what you would call me) are quite young. I'm only 21.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: z@z.com]
    #1849730 - 08/25/03 08:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

zaz, There's hope for you yet :smile:  You are actually quite an anomaly if you truly consider yourself a neocon.. supporting the war, the victory act, all that jazz.  But then again, you do appear to live in the south.. so it all makes more sense.

Now, before I get berated for talking shit about the south.. Im not.

Coming from the south I found myself at 21 spouting stuff about how every dollar I spent was a vote and fuck the social programs and even wavering on the whole GWB thing.  Between midnight yell practices and aggie football games, my best friend was his head campaign assistant in his gov run.. Ive shook the man's hand on occasion -- woohoo me --  But I really think  that the education system of the south teaches a very strong type of government and its glory.

--------------------

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1849905 - 08/25/03 09:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

no kidding, the gung ho nationalistic curriculums are written by corporations.. I read Lies My Teacher Told Me for a logic class last semester, boy is there a lot of skechy shit going down, especially in the south.

but z@z is right, there are _some_ young neocons. I know this guy who went to berkely for his undergrad and is super conservative. I think he's sort of typical of young conservatives: they're reacting to the far larger proportion of people their age being liberal, trying to appeal to a more "grown up" sensibility

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1849910 - 08/25/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
zaz, There's hope for you yet :smile:  You are actually quite an anomaly if you truly consider yourself a neocon.. supporting the war, the victory act, all that jazz.  But then again, you do appear to live in the south.. so it all makes more sense.

I hardly consider myself a neoconservative. Malachi just tends to call anyone who leans to the right a neoconservative. 

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: z@z.com]
    #1849912 - 08/25/03 09:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:smile:  I see..  Well, while you are doing all that leaning, you should try the left occasionally... if only for balance :nut:

--------------------

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1849984 - 08/25/03 10:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey, neat, when you put a @ in a post it thinks it's a email addy. I should make my name into m@l@chi. *rubs hands together*

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1849993 - 08/25/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"neoconservative" just has such a nice ring to it.  "not see" is a good one too.  :wink:

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1850753 - 08/26/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So does "racist pablum regurgitating liberal".

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: "In all revolutions..." [Re: shakta]
    #1851016 - 08/26/03 10:15 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale