Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Name That Artist!
    #1844876 - 08/24/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That?s right! It?s time to play your favorite Shroomery Game: Name That Artist!

5 Shrooms to the first person who posts the correct name for this artist...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevkk_
DNA Timebomb

Loc: Planet Erf, Yo.
Re: Name That Artist! [Re: Papaver]
    #1844884 - 08/24/03 03:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

dandy andy warhol?

--------------------
I remember, the first time, I... smoked DMT.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1844892 - 08/24/03 03:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Isn't that Michael Jackson?

rofl coulda picked a harder one than THAT... pfff! :tongue:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1845133 - 08/24/03 10:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A best guess might be Willem de Kooning. But that's just a guess. A Charlie Rose interview with Kirk Varnedoe aired the other night and they talked about de Kooning. That Varnedoe was something -- football coach/art historian par excellence!

Offlineshwowsh
growologist

Loc: Deep in the Heart...
Re: Name That Artist! [Re: farfelu]
    #1845339 - 08/24/03 12:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I thought maybe it was Cy Twombly, but i don't think it is anymore. You are going to tell people whether the guesses are wrong or not, right?

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------
We're all children here, so could we please start acting like it?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#1845410 - 08/24/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

farfelu said:
A best guess might be Willem de Kooning. But that's just a guess. A Charlie Rose interview with Kirk Varnedoe aired the other night and they talked about de Kooning. That Varnedoe was something -- football coach/art historian par excellence! 

You are correct, Sir. It is none other than Willem de Kooning -- one of the most important artists of the 20th Century. 5 Shrooms for you! :cool:

PS: Plus, you have validated something that I have always known: watching Charlie Rose pays off! :laugh: 

--------------------

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1845423 - 08/24/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why is his art so crazily expensive and why is he so famous?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Invisibleadrug

Re: Name That Artist! [Re: bert]
    #1845464 - 08/24/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Crazy art is usually crazily expensive...take the artist I work for...

He sells giant abstract ceramic sculptures called dangos that people buy for tens of thousands of dollars. Its insane!

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1845472 - 08/24/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

papaver said:

You are correct, Sir. It is none other than Willem de Kooning -- one of the most important artists of the 20th Century. 5 Shrooms for you! :cool:

PS: Plus, you have validated something that I have always known: watching Charlie Rose pays off! :laugh:

:cool: Thanks.

Always fun finding something new and interesting. de Kooning research time. :smile:

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Name That Artist! [Re: bert]
    #1845481 - 08/24/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Why is his art so crazily expensive and why is he so famous? 

Hmm...

There are answers to those questions, but they are not quick and easy. However, I'll take a stab at it.

The "art market" exists as an economic abstraction -- a layer which floats on the surface of art history --

Art history being a mighty stream which flows forward through history, and is largely comprised of individuals, groups, and movements, which react and evolve with previous moments (e.g. the slow development perspective during the renaissance, and its subsequent deconstruction during the modernist epoch).

de Kooning, himself, is positioned in this lineage, as one of the best painters of the first generation Abstract Expressionist movement (or the New York School), at a time when the cultural center of Western Civilization was shifting further westward from Paris, France, to New York City. Some of his contemporaries in the New York School were, Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, Franz Kline.

The Abstract Expressionist movement can arguably be seen as the "high water mark" of the the Modernist movement which extends from Impressionism to Pop Art. Impressionism being the transitional movement into Modernity and Pop being the transitional movement out of Modernity and into Postmodernity.

de Kooning's work was used as the centerpiece in the art criticism of harold Rosenberg (who coined the term "Action Painting"), and battled to critically define later modern art with his counterpart, Clemet Greenberg.

The work of de Kooning, can largely be seen as a synthesis between two ealier Modernist movements (the Cubist grid of Picasso and the Psychic Automatism of the Surrealists). It is also distinctive because he championed the figure at a time when non-objectivity was the order of the day. This gave fuel to later figurative movements such as the Bay Area figurative school and the work of Richard Diebenkorn.

Oh, and he's a very good painter. He is truly a painter's painter! :cool:

That's the best I can do off the top of my head. It's really a complex issue.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1845672 - 08/24/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1845901 - 08/24/03 04:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What about conceptual art? What do you have to say about that? I really want to know! I mean for me... i cant even put "my art" in a category of sorts... I mean i have my mediums, but they stand where they are, conceptual agreements with expressive forms.

--------------------
What?

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Name That Artist! [Re: Strumpling]
    #1845929 - 08/24/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe that photograph was taken around 1950, and therefor, that would be one of his early "Women" paintings in progress. That is his wife, Elaine, seated behind him. She was a successful second generation Abstract Expressionist. His "Women Series" is probably what he is most famous for. Here are a few early 1950s women paintings and drawings...

(Click on thumbnails to enlarge)

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1845952 - 08/24/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey looks like quite a boob-fan :wink: - hey I can't blame 'im!

BOOBS ROCK!

--------------------

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1846267 - 08/24/03 06:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I like the women. Its reassuring to recognize a figure, however abstracted. These others here show a pretty wide range of expression, I guess, particularly Legend and Fact. It reminds me of Dali. Gotham News I can sort of see New York in there, the feeling of it. Clearwater Beach and In the Sky start to lose me but I still enjoy the colors and sort of movement they have.

How about it? A quick lesson? What is it about de Kooning's work that compels you, papaver?

(click thumbnail to enlarge)

edit: Varnedoe compared de Kooning to I think it was Pollock saying that de Kooning represented the intellectual, more precise and deliberate side of the movement. While Pollock was more physical and emotional. Something like that . . . You wouldn't know the deliberate part of it just looking at these, except maybe Legend and Fact. Also, one reviewer I was looking at this afternoon said something about de Kooning "engaged in the absurd task of painting European art over again..." Not sure what that meant. So, how about a dissertation. lol :smile:

Edited by farfelu (08/24/03 07:21 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1846310 - 08/24/03 07:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

wow that first one is really cool :smile: I see the "legend" as the stuff over on the left, and "fact" as the person standing on that chair trying to get a better look at the legend.

Gotham news, lol I'm not sure - looks like Gotham's one BUSY PLACE though :wink: - I do like it - it somehow seems balanced through all that chaos

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (08/24/03 07:07 PM)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1846483 - 08/24/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Must be my taste, but I really don't like it. Too scribbly, too much like a child drawing crayon pictures of people and stuff.

just my opinion and taste. Obviously that does not make it bad, or any different. All art cannot appeal to all people.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#1846928 - 08/24/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

farfelu said:
How about it? A quick lesson? What is it about de Kooning's work that compels you, papaver?

Hmm... Good question, but one that eludes an easy answer. However, that's never stopped me before, so I'll give it a shot...

Some of the elements that I find appealing in the work of de Kooning include:

1) The figure/ground relationship in the picture plane, which is a cubist grid via Picasso.

2) The inventive use of shape, as a result of the picassoid nature of the grid (see above).

3) The figurative embodiment in powerful gestural line. This is an aspect, of his work, that I have isolated, and tried to further explore, in my own work, which are basically gestural field paintings.

4) The shear "painterly" quality of his work. He is a painter's painter.

Quote:

Varnedoe compared de Kooning to I think it was Pollock saying that de Kooning represented the intellectual, more precise and deliberate side of the movement. While Pollock was more physical and emotional. Something like that . . .

That is a fair appraisal of the two different personality types of the two painters. Pollock and de Kooning were two vastly different personality types although they were both celebrated members of the same art movement.

I hope that answers it. I'm kinda tired this evening -- it's been a long day of painting, and administrating the shroomery, and doing yard work... :smile:

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1847259 - 08/25/03 01:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

can you give me some more insight on the gestural field idea? I don't "get it" heh

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder