Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
More info + a question
    #1845058 - 08/24/03 10:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone knows of problems with your jars drying out and what kind of problems this poses. Also, I thought I'd give an update on my setup, as this is my first experience.

My canning jars came in a box. It has dividers in it and a plastic-covered cardboard sheet that goes on top of the jars. I had sprayed the entire box & top-sheet down with Lysol ahead of time, and put all but two of the jars back in it after inoculation.

The box and the loose jars went into a corner of a room that had been semi-enclosed with cardboard and sprayed down with Lysol. All sides are blocked off with cardboard, except half of one side for an electric space heater. The heater's remote thermostat is in the far corner of the space. I didn't feel comfortable putting the heater into a fully enclosed space, so its back sticks out.

Of course that draws air in from the rest of the room, so I had shut the windows, vacuumed, sprayed the rest of the room with Lysol, shut and covered the a/c vent, etc.

It hasn't even been two weeks yet, so I wasn't so concerned about the loose jars not showing any signs of colonization, but they did look awfully dry. A few days ago I decided to take one of the two, open it up, and put some water in... enough that if you tilted the jar, you would see the water collect at the lowest point... today it's so dry you can't do that. How worrisome. Was I drying out my jars with this warm air, I wondered.

So, just now I busted out the latex gloves and Lysol and opened up the box. Grabbed a jar at random. BEAUTIFUL WHITE BLOOMS OF GROWTH. And visible moisture droplets on the sides of the jar. Back into the box with them and taped shut again. I'm so pleased.

This leads me to believe that keeping the jars in a box is a Good Thing(tm), and keeps light out besides. How do you all store your jars while waiting?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: More info + a question [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1845081 - 08/24/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

never open the jars! the canning jar box sounds okay, but a simple tub-in-tub incubator powered by a submersible fishtank heater is probably easier to work with than a heat mat.

good luck, though  :smile: 

--------------------
buh

InvisibleFiend_13
Lord

Re: More info + a question [Re: shirley knott]
    #1845377 - 08/24/03 02:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

why shirley woulnt a heat mat be so much easer just put it under and put it on the setting and let it sit?

--------------------

OfflineSam_Kohui
if you onlyknew...

Re: More info + a question [Re: Fiend_13]
    #1845385 - 08/24/03 02:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

heheh...using the freak brothers to teach newbies huh shirley...that's the most effective tek i've ever seen :lol:

--------------------
The PF Tek...it's a piece of cake (the BRF kind :cool: )

OfflineEgoMagickian
human

Loc: San Francisco
Re: More info + a question [Re: Sam_Kohui]
    #1845408 - 08/24/03 02:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not using a heating pad, I'm using a space heater (ceramic). It has a remote thermostate that monitors the temp and turns the heater on and off to maintain relatively constant temperature in the space.

Not my preferred setup, but it seems to be working ok. :-)

Invisiblepuggymalone
just looking forlove

Re: More info + a question [Re: EgoMagickian]
    #1845457 - 08/24/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The space heater is supplying DRY warm air. If you have a filter system (polyfil, or just plain vermiculite) on the jars, they will eventually dry out. This is because the environment they are in is especially dry. The baking pan with submersible fish heater supplies Humid warm air around the jars, thus not sucking any of the moisture out of them. They should be ok, but I would bet this wicking effect will be the cause of any problems should they occur. The jars start with the proper amount of moisture in the substrate, so as long as not too much is removed by your heater, you will be fine.
Good Luck
Puggy

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: More info + a question [Re: Sam_Kohui]
    #1845509 - 08/24/03 03:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

glad you liked it. it did seem appropriate! if you enjoyed that snapshot,  >here's< a link to some more freak shroom cartoons i posted the other night while bored and stoned  :lol:

:mad:no double posting :mad:

sk :kiss: 

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation