Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBlackWidow
Male
Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills
    #18450192 - 06/21/13 12:54 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

On May 24, 2013, Governor Mary Fallin signed a bill into law banning refills on prescriptions for hydrocodone products. Hydrocodone is the narcotic pain killer in combination products such as Vicodin, Lortab, Norco, and Vicoprofen. The law goes into effect on November 1, 2013, and will apply to both in-state and nonresident pharmacies, according to John A. Foust, Executive Director of the Oklahoma State Board of Pharmacy.

“We would expect out-of-state pharmacies, because they are licensed by our Board, that are shipping drugs into our state to not refill prescriptions based upon our law,” Foust said.

The penalties for violating the new law include license suspension, probation or revocation, and fines of up to $3,000 per occurrence.

Until November, prescriptions for hydrocodone products — Schedule III controlled substances — can be refilled five times within six months, as in most other states. After November, existing prescriptions containing refills will be invalid, Foust said.

Oklahoma’s move is part of a growing national trend. In February, New York State reclassified hydrocodone products as Schedule II controlled substances, meaning, among other things, that refills are not permitted. On the national level, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration and the Food and Drug Administration are currently attempting to reclassify hydrocodone combination products as Schedule II drugs through an administrative process. And on a parallel legislative track, Congress is considering the “Safe Prescribing Act of 2013” (S. 621), which would amend the federal Controlled Substances Act to make hydrocodone combination products Schedule II drugs.

There was discussion in Oklahoma about changing the schedule on hydrocodone combination products, but Executive Director Foust noted that such a move would have prevented nurse practitioners and physician assistants from writing prescriptions for the drugs. Midlevel prescribers cannot prescribe Schedule II controlled substances in Oklahoma. In addition, leaving hydrocodone products in Schedule III allows a prescriber to phone in prescriptions for the drug, Foust said. And pharmacists will not be required to comply with the regulations relevant to Schedule II drugs, including inventory, record-keeping, and dispensing requirements.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=bc2a6558-108b-469c-9f84-d57e0cfee3a5

Edited by BlackWidow (06/21/13 12:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLuSiD enthusiast
Stranger

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: BlackWidow]
    #18450953 - 06/21/13 08:37 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

No way this could go wrong. :rolleyes:

--------------------
I'm addicted to coke, weed, booze, ludes and speed.
Not LSD, you can't get addicted to LSD, it was built by scientists.

I ain't got no demons that gonna get woke.

In erowid we trust.

Just take your damn pills and don't ask any questions, you'll be fine.

InvisibleBlanc

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills *DELETED* [Re: BlackWidow]
    #18451430 - 06/21/13 11:02 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Blanc

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: Blanc]
    #18451472 - 06/21/13 11:18 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Allow me to rephrase what's happened here; Oklahoma politicians have just banned a medical treatment.

God bless America. :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: Dark_Star] * 1
    #18451487 - 06/21/13 11:22 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
Allow me to rephrase what's happened here; Oklahoma politicians have just banned a medical treatment.

God bless America. :rolleyes:

No they did not ban a medical treatment they are making sure the doctors are having more over site regarding what they are prescribing. This is no different from what they do at least in my state with refills on amphetamines for ADD. Your doctor has to write a new script every time and you have to go pick it up from them instead of them writing 1 script with x amount of refills. This wont stop anyone who legitimately needs the prescription or hell even illegitimately chill out guys don't get all hyped up. Some doctors will just give you multiple scripts with different dates to get around the law anyways.

I hardly ever support regulation but considering how doctors are way to willing to prescribe strong pharmaceuticals this is not all that bad of an idea given the time period we are in where pharmaceutical companies have a monopoly on healthcare.

Edited by Mycjunky (06/21/13 11:35 AM)

Offlineleon trout
Estimated Prophet
Male

Loc: The Timbers of Fennario
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: Mycjunky]
    #18451747 - 06/21/13 12:31 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mycjunky said:
I hardly ever support regulation but considering how doctors are way to willing to prescribe strong pharmaceuticals this is not all that bad of an idea given the time period we are in where pharmaceutical companies have a monopoly on healthcare.

:whathesaid:  & in case you missed that: :whathesaid:

i'd rather see my friends smoking crack than strung on doctor dope... well, not really, but pretty fucking close... got way too many friends who "don't have a problem" because "it's all legit, man. my doctor is awesome..."  no, he really isn't...

--------------------
I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I’m more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.” 
  ~ St. Jerome of Marin
:gd_icon:the bus come by & i got on, that's when it all began:gd_icon:

Invisiblegreencrush420
Male User Gallery

Loc: U.S.A Flag
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: leon trout]
    #18456650 - 06/22/13 02:33 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

leon trout said:
Quote:

Mycjunky said:

i'd rather see my friends smoking crack than strung on doctor dope... well, not really, but pretty fucking close... got way too many friends who "don't have a problem" because "it's all legit, man. my doctor is awesome..."  no, he really isn't...

:whathesaid: I just wanted to add my agreement with the above comments. Screw big pharma.  :feelssadman:

Offlinedokunai
Cactus, Cannabis, Cubensis

Loc: Hyphal Heights, USA
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: greencrush420]
    #18456812 - 06/22/13 03:14 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

This is so very, very silly.  This doesn't reduce the total amount of vicodin someone can get, nor will it affect abuse potential.  I agree there is a terrible epidemic of RX related death and addiction, but this places a much larger burden on legitimate users.  Suppose my doctor is only open during hours that I am at work.  What should I do?  Give up a lunch break each month for no benefit?  What if my doctor is too far from my work to make it there and back in 60 minutes and I have to miss work to get my refills?  I know there could be work arounds such as multiple future dated prescriptions, or getting them by mail, but I think those have a much higher chance of interrupting medication continuity than just letting the goddamn pharmacy manage the refills.

I also see a very poorly formulated position being expressed in this thread.  People seem to think "prescriptions are causing problems, so we need to create new laws and regulations."  For what purpose?  To feel like you are doing something about it?  There are already incredibly stringent regulations in place for these substances.  Try getting busted selling Vicodin to an undercover and see if you think the laws are harsh enough.  Will creating additional opportunities to jail or fine individuals reduce this problem, or will it create greater societal ills and further feed the growth and wealth of an oppressive law enforcement regime?

Invisiblegreencrush420
Male User Gallery

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: dokunai]
    #18457916 - 06/22/13 07:28 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dokunai said:
This is so very, very silly.  This doesn't reduce the total amount of vicodin someone can get, nor will it affect abuse potential.  I agree there is a terrible epidemic of RX related death and addiction, but this places a much larger burden on legitimate users.  Suppose my doctor is only open during hours that I am at work.  What should I do?  Give up a lunch break each month for no benefit?  What if my doctor is too far from my work to make it there and back in 60 minutes and I have to miss work to get my refills?  I know there could be work arounds such as multiple future dated prescriptions, or getting them by mail, but I think those have a much higher chance of interrupting medication continuity than just letting the goddamn pharmacy manage the refills.

I also see a very poorly formulated position being expressed in this thread.  People seem to think "prescriptions are causing problems, so we need to create new laws and regulations."  For what purpose?  To feel like you are doing something about it?  There are already incredibly stringent regulations in place for these substances.  Try getting busted selling Vicodin to an undercover and see if you think the laws are harsh enough.  Will creating additional opportunities to jail or fine individuals reduce this problem, or will it create greater societal ills and further feed the growth and wealth of an oppressive law enforcement regime?

I don't know dude, the requirements don't seem all that stringent to me. Physicians assistants and nurse practitioners can write scripts for it, despite the fact that it is one of the most abused prescription drugs. I would like to see it as schedule II, because I don't see any reason for nurses to be writing prescriptions for it. If someone really needs it then they can get their script from a doctor, not a nurse or an physicians assistant. People who really need it would still be able to get it, and hopefully it would help keep some oxy off the streets.
Quote:

There was discussion in Oklahoma about changing the schedule on hydrocodone combination products, but Executive Director Foust noted that such a move would have prevented nurse practitioners and physician assistants from writing prescriptions for the drugs. Midlevel prescribers cannot prescribe Schedule II controlled substances in Oklahoma. In addition, leaving hydrocodone products in Schedule III allows a prescriber to phone in prescriptions for the drug, Foust said. And pharmacists will not be required to comply with the regulations relevant to Schedule II drugs, including inventory, record-keeping, and dispensing requirements.

InvisibleCidneyIndole
www.shroomery.OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Love's Secret Domain
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: leon trout]
    #18462933 - 06/23/13 10:09 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

leon trout said:
Quote:

Mycjunky said:

Well, that's tragic and all, but I hope you realize that the problem is with your friend-- not with a doctor, or a policy. That's how it is with addiction. The problems are within the addict. Sure, if you want to get technical and complicated, there are a lot of external factors that can influence a person's struggle with addiction, but it all comes down to how an addict copes with life and the choices they make. If your friend, or any addict, is determined to get high, they can always circumvent the system entirely and find something else (something potentially more dangerous, or impure, or adulterated, not to mention the additional legal risk when one is sourcing street drugs as opposed to getting their fix from a doc.) I'm sure you get the point.

I think this is a horrible law, that really isn't going to help much, except for the doctors themselves and anyone who makes money from billing a medical visit, as increased medical visits is going to be the only real result of this. But of course, these poor doctors and insurance companies have to eat. I mean, they're going broke as it is.... :rolleyes:

People who are being prescribed unnecessary drugs from an unscrupulous doctor are still going to get those drugs. They're just going to have to pay more (or their insurance will have to pay) and take more of their time. Which I'm sure is one thing jerkoff anti-drug crusaders will love.

The thing is, it's going to have that same effect on chronic pain patients who legitimately need that medication, some of whom may have a hard time getting to the doctor. :grrr:

--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: CidneyIndole]
    #18463724 - 06/24/13 02:16 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Without a doubt this really isn't changing anything. That was pretty much my point. It only makes a doctor write a prescription more often. That's all it does. As I said with ADD pills where I'm at you just have to go pick it up from your doctor, you don't need an appointment you just give them a day notice and pick it up at the office. No additional charges.

I don't think this will do much but it does stand to reason it will decrease the number of pills being prescribed even if just a little bit. People will still get them for whatever reason anyways. There are online programs for god sakes that you can request a script from your doctor and it's sent to the pharmacy! Then all they have to do is drive to the pharmacy like they did before, it's not stopping anything. Everyone fucking calm down.

Is it a good law if things were right in the first place? No, but is it horrible? Absolutely not because if that's horrible I'd like to hear how you'd describe things like the patriot act, ndaa, and many other atrocities that make this look like childs play.

Edited by Mycjunky (06/24/13 02:23 AM)

Offlinedokunai
Cactus, Cannabis, Cubensis

Loc: Hyphal Heights, USA
    #18472926 - 06/26/13 12:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

greencrush420 said:
Quote:

dokunai said:

I don't know dude, the requirements don't seem all that stringent to me. Physicians assistants and nurse practitioners can write scripts for it, despite the fact that it is one of the most abused prescription drugs. I would like to see it as schedule II, because I don't see any reason for nurses to be writing prescriptions for it. If someone really needs it then they can get their script from a doctor, not a nurse or an physicians assistant. People who really need it would still be able to get it, and hopefully it would help keep some oxy off the streets.
Quote:

Are you aware that all Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners have to have their treatment plans and prescriptions reviewed by a supervising physician?  And are you aware of the role or educational requirements for these positions?  We need NPs and PAs because there is a shortage of physicians and medical care is insanely expensive if you don't have benefits at work.  These people are well educated medical professionals.  They are often on the front lines treating patients with all types of injuries and illness.  I think that by implying that someone who is just a nurse or just a PA would foolishly prescribe narcotic pain killers that you are showing your ignorance.  Did you know that properly trained NPs can administer surgical anasthesia?  But you're right, you have a much better idea who needs vicodin than they do.

Invisiblegreencrush420
Male User Gallery

Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: dokunai]
    #18473005 - 06/26/13 12:47 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

But you're right, you have a much better idea who needs vicodin than they do

When did I say that? If you can, please quote me.

Edited by greencrush420 (06/26/13 12:59 AM)

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
    #18473057 - 06/26/13 01:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Fuck Oklahoma. Except for Woody Guthrie's dustbowl blues of course...
Stop blaming lifeless, inanimate objects for shit folks!.

Edit:
In an odd & ironic turn of events, Hydrocodone refills just banned Oklahoma...

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Edited by Oeric McKenna (06/26/13 01:17 AM)

Offlinewithoutawire
hi
 User Gallery

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Re: Oklahoma bans hydrocodone refills [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18473680 - 06/26/13 08:03 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

If hydrocodone was legalized and dispensed like methadone this wouldn't even be an issue.

It's cool though keep wasting time and money doing absolutely nothing.

--------------------
:tigerbunny:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom