Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrCoty
Stranger
Any luck with bags of composted manure from the store?
    #1844429 - 08/24/03 12:14 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A couple of stores around have bags of "composted manure." Anybody had any luck with these as a substrate?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Any luck with bags of composted manure from the store? [Re: DrCoty]
    #1844637 - 08/24/03 01:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but not necessarily good luck...

1. Can be used right out of the bag. No need for further pasteurization. Although vermiculite should be added to hold water, and water should be added. Best method of preparation would be to add sterilized saturated vermiculite to the manure. Getting water content right is probably the hardest thing about using it.

2. I am sure there are varying qualities of manure out there, some ranging from very good to very poor (dirt like, with sand) and are usually in mixes. I have tried some of the poor quality with poor results. I assume that most kinds you would find are heavily composted for use with plants.

3. Results have been said to be poor by the majority of people that have tried it. If you can find a good source of good manure, then you should have no problem with it. But usually, store bought manure is poor quality, and has other things mixed in that are unwanted.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineDrCoty
Stranger
Re: Any luck with bags of composted manure from the store? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1845062 - 08/24/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. This stuff looked nice. It was composted manure w/organic peat. No sand or anything. It's been spawned now. I'll keep you posted...

I also added a pint of ~sterilized worm castings. I have a couple of worm bins but haven't had any (good) luck with the fresh castings. I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't use castings for mushrooms because they inhibit fungal growth (beneficial nematodes maybe?). This was certainly my experience. But people here seem to hold them in high regard. Maybe pasteurizing/sterilizing or drying will fix it up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation