Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewingnutx
There is more than one way to burn a book.
    #1843973 - 08/23/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

CODA

by Ray Bradbury

About two years ago, a letter arrived from a solemn young Vassar lady telling me how much she enjoyed my experiment in space mythology, The Martian Chronicles.

But, she added, wouldn't it be a good idea, this late in time, to rewrite the book inserting more women's characters and roles?

A few years before that I got a certain amount of mail concerning the same Martian book complaining that the blacks in the book were Uncle Toms and why didn't I "do them over"?

Along about then came a note from a Southern white suggesting that I was prejudiced in favor of the blacks and the entire story should be dropped.

Two weeks ago my mountain of mail delivered forth a pipsqueak mouse of a letter from a well-known publishing house that wanted to reprint my story "The Fog Horn" in a high school reader.

In my story, I had described a lighthouse as having, late at night, an illumination coming from it that was a "God light." Looking up at it from the viewpoint of any sea-creature one would have felt that one was in "the Presence."

The editors had deleted "God-Light" and "in the Presence."

Some five years back, the editors of yet another anthology for school readers put together a volume with some 400 (count 'em) short stories in it. How do you cram 400 short stories by Twain, Irving, Poe, Maupassant and Bierce into one book?

Simplicity itself. Skin, debone, demarrow, scarify, melt, render down and destroy. Every adjective that counted, every verb that moved, every metaphor that weighed more than a mosquito - out! Every simile that would have made a sub-moron's mouth twitch - gone! Any aside that explained the two-bit philosophy of a first-rate writer - lost!

Every story, slenderized, starved, bluepenciled, leeched and bled white, resembled every other story. Twain read like Poe read like Shakespeare read like Dostoevsky read like - in the finale - Edgar Guest. Every word of more than three syllables had been razored. Every image that demanded so much as one instant's attention - shot dead.

Do you begin to get the damned and incredible picture?

How did I react to all of the above?

By "firing" the whole lot.

By sending them rejection slips to each and every one.

By ticketing the assembly of idiots to the far reaches of hell.

The point is obvious. There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist/Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib/Republican, Mattachine/FourSquareGospel feel it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse. Every dimwit editor who sees himself as the source of all dreary blanc-mange plain porridge unleavened literature, licks his guillotine and eyes the neck of any author who dares to speak above a whisper or write above a nursery rhyme.

Fire-Captain Beatty, in my novel Fahrenheit 451, described how the books were burned first by the minorities, each ripping a page or a paragraph from the book, then that, until the day came when the books were empty and the minds shut and the library closed forever.

"Shut the door, they're coming through the window, shut the window, they're coming through the door," are the words to an old song. They fit my lifestyle with newly arriving butcher/censors every month. Only six months ago, I discovered that, over the years, some cubby-hole editors at Ballantine Books, fearful of contaminating the young, had, bit by bit, censored some 75 separate sections from the novel. Students, reading the novel which, after all, deals with the censorship and book-burning in the future, wrote to tell me of this exquisite irony. Judy-Lynn Del Rey, one of the new Ballantine editors, is having the entire book reset and republished this summer with all the damns and hells back in place.

A final test for old Job II here: I sent a play, Leviathan 99, off to a university theater a month ago. My play is based on the "Moby Dick" mythology, dedicated to Melville, and concerns a rocket crew and a blind space captain who venture forth to encounter a Great White Comet and destroy the destroyer. My drama premiers as an opera in Paris this autumn. But, for now, the university wrote back that they hardly dared to my play - it had no women in it! And the ERA ladies on campus would descend with baseball bats if the drama department even tried!

Grinding my bicuspids into powder, I suggested that would mean, from now on, no more productions of Boys in the Band (no women), or The Women (no men), Or, counting heads, make and female, a good lot of Shakespeare that would never be seen again, especially if you count line and find that all the good stuff went to the males!

I wrote back maybe they should do my play one week, and The Women the next. They probably thought I was joking, and I'm not sure that I wasn't.

For it is a mad world and it will get madder if we allow the minorities, be they dwarf or giant, orangutan or dolphin, nuclear-head or water-conversationalist, pro-computerologist or Neo-Luddite, simpleton or sage, to interfere with aesthetics. The real world is the playing ground for each and every group, to make or unmake laws. But the tip of the nose of my book or stories or poems is where their rights and my territorial imperatives begin, run and rule. If Mormons do not like my plays, let them write their own. If the Irish hate my Dublin stories, let them rent typewriters. If teachers and grammar school editors find my jawbreaker sentences shatter their mushmild teeth, let them eat stale cake dunked in weak tea of their own ungodly manufacture. If the Chicano intellectuals wish to re-cut my "Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" so it shapes "Zoot," may the belt unravel and the pants fall.

For, let's face it, digression is the soul of wit. Take the philosophic asides away from Dante, Milton or Hamlet's father's ghost and what stays is dry bones. Laurence Sterne said it once: Digressions, incontestably, are the sunshine, the life, the soul of reading! Take them out and one cold eternal winter would reign in every page. Restore them to the writer - he steps forth like a bridegroom, bids them all-hail, brings in variety and forbids the appetite to fail.

In sum, do not insult me with the beheadings, finger-choppings or the lung-deflations you plan for my works. I need my head to shake or nod, my hand to wave or make into a fist, my lungs to shout or whisper with. I will not go gently onto a shelf, degutted, to become a non-book.

All you umpire, back to the bleachers. Referees, hit the showers. It's my game. I pitch, I hit, I catch. I run the bases. At sunset I've won or lost. At sunrise, I'm out again, giving it the old try.

And no one can help me. Not even you.

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/451/451.html

Ray turned 83 on friday! I love that guy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: wingnutx]
    #1844103 - 08/23/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1845360 - 08/24/03 02:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Doubleplus excellent.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#1847821 - 08/25/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Bravo bravo!

Well done!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1847829 - 08/25/03 11:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quality post.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4785368 - 10/11/05 12:51 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Bumped for the newer readers of the forum.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: Phred]
    #4785386 - 10/11/05 12:55 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Whatever happened to wingnutx? I miss that guy.

--------------------

Offlinegregorio
Stranger

Loc: NapTown
    #4785869 - 10/11/05 02:54 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I wish I could remember this better but Ray Bradbury was a guest on Coast to Coast Am a while back and George Noory asked him where he got the idea for Farenhiet 451.

He responded by saying he was walking home one evening and a cop stopped him and asked him for ID. And he said something along the lines of---I know who I am I dont need an ID---or something like that. And when he got home he started writing the book.

Has anyone else heard of that before? I might not have the entire story straight but it was something like that.

Offlineabsolute zero
The Hero
Male User Gallery
Loc: 127.0.0.1
    #4843996 - 10/24/05 01:33 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent...

I've read Fahrenheit 451 of course, but i'm just delving into The Cat's Pajamas & Other Short Stories.... Was just checking for other threads and came across this...

Very insightful...

BUMP!

--------------------

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4844585 - 10/24/05 05:14 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

"Every minority, be it Baptist / Unitarian, Irish / Italian / Octogenarian / Zen Buddhist, Zionist/Seventh-day Adventist, Women's Lib/Republican, Mattachine/FourSquareGospel feel it has the will, the right, the duty to douse the kerosene, light the fuse."

I don't know that I agree with him on this. The Nazi's where the majority in Germany, and they censored a lot. It's not just minorities, it's anyone uppity enough to think they know better. [Which includes people in the majority.]

I do agree that art shouldn't be censored. I've had issues with this and having my music played on the radio. The only reason I have had my stuff censored is because it would be my friends that would lose there show. But I've made my censures as small as humanly possible, and sometimes just said screw it on the grey area stuff.

If it was text, I would unequivocally say no. But things that are broadcast I have censored myself before, for the sake of exposure, and continued exposure.

But honestly the edits are done so small you know what the people are say n-e-waz. So it's kinda different. In Ray's case no one would know there has been an edit. In mine everyone knows, and they also know what was intended.

But I would say that most of the people in the FCC are in the majority. Being that most of them are most likely straight white Christian males.

Offlineseeker
Curator ofBarbaricRefinery

Loc: between Here and There
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4844910 - 10/24/05 11:00 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The Nazis were a minority in Germany.
They were like Capitalists in the United States.

--------------------
In a state of anarchy every individual is their own kingdom.

Thou art God (but so am i :wink:)

InvisibleLos_Pepes
Stranger

Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: seeker]
    #4846199 - 10/24/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Fahrenheit 911 was a real abomination.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: seeker]
    #4846392 - 10/24/05 06:01 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

You're not going to convince me that Nazi's in Germany where then minority. They might have been at one point, but if you control every aspect of a country's government, you're the majority.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4847238 - 10/24/05 09:27 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The majority of the German people were appalled by the actions of the Nazi's, but were simply too scared to speak out. In this case the minority ruled by force.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
Re: There is more than one way to burn a book. [Re: Ekstaza]
    #4849174 - 10/25/05 06:29 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

If the majority of people did as they say because they where scared, or because they just loved the Nazi way of life, matters little in this. A majority of people did as they said, they where the majority.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion