Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
Married?
    #1840766 - 08/22/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My boyfriend asked me to marry him. I said no, but in my head I'm buying furniture, planning a wedding, naming kids....

I'm only 21. I want to travel, explore the world, make lots of money, try new things...you know, live. But at the same time I got wedding bells in my head. I already said no...he doesn't know what I'm thinking and I'd like to keep it that way.

I always thought I was gonna be independent and strong and just be me. My OWN apartment, my OWN car, my OWN bills, my OWN army of cats...but then this guy comes along and sweeps me off my feet and "Hey, I love you!" and "Hey, let me take care of you and make you feel safe!" and "Hey, lets get married and live happily ever after!"

He even asked my dad for his blessing. How fucking cute is that?

My parents love him. My grandmother told me she wants to see me married and making babies before she croaks, or she's leaving this earth unfulfilled.

So how many of you out there are married? Are you happy? How long have you been married for? How did you know it was right? How many times have you been married? FOR GODS SAKE HELP ME!!!

Annie, I'm looking in your direction here.

**sigh**

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

Re: Married? [Re: CherryBom]
    #1840797 - 08/22/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I NEVER understood the whole marriage thing, and still don't...

I don't understand why you have to MARRY someone if you love them. Why can't you just live with them and be happy like that?

Marriage always seemed a bit conformist to me...

OfflineBruiser
Fuel Injected Suicide Machine

Loc: Hell
    #1840859 - 08/22/03 01:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I will never be married. I may live with someone and love them, but no kids or marriage in my future. I seriously don't know anybody that's happily married. Not even in my own disfunctional family. :smirk: 

--------------------
-I put the chrome to your dome

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: Married? [Re: Ravinoff]
    #1840861 - 08/22/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

eh, who cares, dont judge if you want to do something on whether other people do it. We really cant answer your question, only you can. The real question is if you want to do it. keep in mind, you can still travel, explore, and try new things when you are married, you dont have to have kids right away, you will just have a person to try new things with. There are some things you should consider though, such as whiether he shares your goals and whiether he will help you achieve them with his support. Another thing to take in mind is at 21 you are still pretty young, and the younger you are, the more you will change. At 21 most people dont yet have a strong sense of self, and they need to achieve that before they decide to spent the rest of their life with someone. Also, marriage just is not right for some people, particularly people who prefer to live and acomplish things on their own.

there is none who can give you a final answer, hopefully you will get as many of ^^those^^ and other questions answered, so you will be more confident in your position.

-peace

Edited by domite (08/22/03 01:41 PM)

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #1841017 - 08/22/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"I'm only 21. I want to travel, explore the world, make lots of money, try new things...you know, live. But at the same time I got wedding bells in my head. I already said no...he doesn't know what I'm thinking and I'd like to keep it that way."

^^^^i'd say to just go with that Bomb, as far as your grandmother laying the "produce babies or MY life will be unfufilled", screw that, you don't owe ANYone anything in that regard.....i was sort of in your position(once) where even my parents were saying like..."Freak, you never find another girl like THAT one"(a girl i was with 2 and a half years)On one level i knew they were right, imagine that....

ME with my own little domestic house slave to cook and clean up after me.....no thanks lol, personally, i don't know even ONE married couple who's life isn't a living hell in some regard....sure the only decent meal i ever get these days is if i order in and my apartment looks like a pig pen but hey! wtf, you know?

Follow your heart's desires and aspirations, that's the only reasonable advice i could ever give based on my own experience....bottom line: i think you'll end up kicking yourself in the butt once you have given up your personal autonomy :wink:

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #1841042 - 08/22/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Whatever you do, do it for the right reason.

Don't get married for the wedding.
Don't stay single for independance.

We work better as teams, us humans. We need someone else. It's part of who we are

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1841130 - 08/22/03 02:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Make a frozen embrio, and send it to your grandmother.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1841143 - 08/22/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If you have to ask for advice about it, then you're obviously not ready to marry him. If you love him, tell him to ask you again in a couple of years, and explain why you're saying that. And ignore your grandmother, she already did her part. It's you who decide when and if you have babies.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Married? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1841196 - 08/22/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

>If you have to ask for advice about it, then you're obviously not ready to marry him

Good point

--------------------

OfflineHorseman
Old Timer
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Married? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1841209 - 08/22/03 03:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You're young...I learned more from the age 21-25 that any other 5 year span in my life...I am now 28, married, with a 11 month old daughter...marriage isnt easy by any means...but it is rewarding in ways unmarried people cant understand...especially when you have kids.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Married? [Re: Horseman]
    #1841586 - 08/22/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My God,

It seems like yesterday we were a couple of kids in a chatroom, Bom.

Now all this!

Asking for advice doesn't necessarily denote unreadiness to make this decision. As you pointed out, Bom, this is an enormous decision that will demand an equally enormous amount of sacrifices. Along with that insight comes an understandable degree of fright and hesitation.

Exploring the world and such are common and lofty goals, but equally common and depressingly destructive are the lamentations of those who settled down without fulfilling those dreams. This, among many other factors to consider, are crucial when deciding to marry without entertaining the convenience of a divorce should it become prudent. Far too often people leap into wedding vows expecting to be able to fall back on the divorce route should it not be as quick and easy as desired.

Let's not forget that marriage does not necessarily alter the essence of your relationship. There is a certain sanctity that comes along with taking such elaborate vows and exchanging jewelery, but your hearts and minds reside far above these things. The real benefits of marriage in this day and age are social, governmental. There are alternatives, such as common-law.

Of course, I'm young. Younger than you, Bom, and so far unmarried. This being so, I've not the experiential wisdom on this issue. I'm with someone very important to me right now, more than I can otherwise distinguish, but marriage thus far does not seem like a realistic endeavour between her and I.

Her and I, though, are not You and Him.

As for advice, I couldn't possibly offer anything conclusive. Though, I hope I've helped clear the air a little bit.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Anonymous

Re: Married? [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1841659 - 08/22/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do your parents really call you "Freak" ? :crazy:

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1841724 - 08/22/03 06:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

There is no right time. There is only the right person. A lot of people make the mistake of marrying because its the 'right time'. Anyhow, if you've found the right person don't let them slip away.

You should look at those things you want to do though, and see if thats possible with this sort of person, as that is part of being the right person. Does he want to travel and experience new things, or get a cottage at some remote farm and live quietly the rest of his life?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1842392 - 08/22/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

21 seems so young to get married... but you never know, it could be the best thing you do.

What it really comes down to is whether or not this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. Don't get married thinking "I could always get a divorce if things aren't right", that kind of defeats the point of choosing marriage.

There's no rush to get married, you're still young and time certainly isn't running out. Marriage really doesn't change the dynamic of the relationship, all you're really missing out on if you don't get married now is a big party where people give you free toasters.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
Re: Married? [Re: TxTec]
    #1842715 - 08/23/03 01:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TxTec said:
Do your parents really call you "Freak" ? :crazy: 

Only during seances these days Tex :wink: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineWildCardsRevenge
Grade Eh Meat
 User Gallery

Re: Married? [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1843246 - 08/23/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Whoa our little bom is growing up.

Just explain to your boyfriend that it isn't him its the concept of being married. Obviously you can see yourself with him for many many years to come but that doesn't mean your ready to do whole marriage thing. Why not live common law for a while, give that a shot. But at the same time start making plans to travel and do things while you still can.

Your young enough that you still have time to go out and see the world and yet I know your mature enough to be able to commit to someone like that.

--------------------
--------------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: Married? [Re: WildCardsRevenge]
    #1843417 - 08/23/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hi

as many of you guys know (since i'm always talking about it :nut:) i'm engaged to get married in a year's time. my fiancee and i have been engaged now for a year so that's one thing you could do...be engaged but not get married for a couple or a few years. being engaged doesn't necessarily mean that you guys have to get married asap...take your time, get to know each other and just hold the "status" i suppose.

i know how you feel..when he proposed to me i had the whole wedding bells, picking out furniture and naming our kids type of thing going on in my head. i said yes obviously but then it started to sink in and i told myself wait a min i'm too young, i still want to visit places, think about my career etc. but, i had grown up quite quickly i suppose...i became independent at 17, went through uni, travelled and grew up quicker than my peers. at the moment i feel like i want to settle down so i chose that path and so far it's good...

how does your boyfriend feel about the answer you gave him?

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: Married? [Re: boO]
    #1844411 - 08/23/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

funny as you were thinking about how much you'd like to get married, I was thinking how I never will.

I tried to call you long distance from Florida probably more then you caled me.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1844916 - 08/24/03 03:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

2 words:
"prenuptial agreement"

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Re: Married? [Re: 40oz]
    #1845092 - 08/24/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

oh right and what I meant to say was, dude you know what I think of marriage, but I'd support any decision you make anyways.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale