Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: shakta]
    #1840853 - 08/22/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

a lot of it is in the form of bonds, if you have an IRA, you might have some without even knowing it. at some point, people are going to want to collect it when they retire.. and a lot of people are going to be disappointed the way things are going.

I think it was kind of inevitable that we would be in deficit spending again, considering the poor economy and the 9/11 attacks, but Bush is making things much worse with massive tax cuts and new big government spending.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1840881 - 08/22/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why didn't we pay down the debt any during the surpluses of the 90's or did they?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1840889 - 08/22/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The tax cuts make sense to me to stimulate the economy and it has worked before. The big government spending doesn't. A lot of it is due to the war though, but not all of.

Anonymous

#1840893 - 08/22/03 01:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

gee dub just passed massive tax cuts.

tell him to stop dicking around and get something done, damn it

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: ]
    #1840897 - 08/22/03 01:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Can you elaborate on what you are talking about?

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: Autonomous]
    #1840989 - 08/22/03 02:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

alright, back to the topic at hand.

You are young enough where you will be paying the price (a very dear price) when the U.S. becomes bankrupt from excessive spending...

I wonder if the government can really declare bankrupcy and refuse to pay back the debt? a lot of it is owned by average americans... they'll probably just sell more bonds to pay back the old ones and leave the problem for future generations to deal with.

Is it good to bring people into your country when they will be a burden on the system?

you can't say they're all burdens on the system.
some immigrants come into this country with a good education and job skills and become productive members of society, paying taxes and enriching the economy. other immigrants come here without any education or job skills and get low wage jobs, paying little to no taxes and getting a disporportionate amount of goverment aid, as that article pointed out.

our immigration policy should discriminate based on merit, but the problem is that if we did that, it would inevitably fall along ethnic lines, which would be controversial to say the least. and I don't think any politician would risk his career on that.

OfflineDeepDish2
journeyman
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: Autonomous]
    #1840995 - 08/22/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Is it good to bring people into your country when they will be a burden on the system? 

The statistics are interesting, yet to get a better picture on how much burden immigrants are really placing on the systems you have too look at how much money of the buget they are consuming.  Many immigrants (both legal, and illegal) also play vital roles in American society, mostly doing the jobs that nobody else wants to do.  I know several Mexican immigrants (who I think are legal) that found their way to Nothern Maine, and spend weeks at a time, living in the woods and planting trees for paper companies.  A good precentage of the farms in this area also rely on migrant workers. 
Now if these immigrant workers were not here, many of the employers in this area would have great trouble filling them. 

How much more debt will the government be able to incur while giving enormous handouts to all comers?

I would hardly call the spending on social programs the United States does as "enormous".  Look at the national debt for most European nations; not only is is much lower than ours, but they provide many more handouts for their citizens.  Now if you were talking about coporate tax handouts also, then that presents a major problem. 

What will happen when the baby boom generation retires en masse?

No solutions for this one.  Maybe enact a society like "The Giver"  :wink:

What will happen if our economic downturn continues and worsens? In such cases there is an increase in government expenditures but a decrease in receipts.

This is what has been happening almost every year since the early 80's.  Realize that out of all the presidents since then, Clinton has been able to acheive the biggest surplus.  The main flaw with Reagenomics (corporate tax relief), is that it relies on corporations to use the money to expand, and hence provide more jobs for Americans.  Corporations, however, are profit driven entities (as profit makes or breaks them on the stock market) and will act in direction that maximizes their profit.  Many times this can include downsizing, and moving business overseas, both which help short term profit and in my opinion hurt Americans.  Now if you give this money directly back to the people, it will be immediatly injected back into the economy; as instead of using it to inflate stock prices, it will be spent on material goods. 

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1841166 - 08/22/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Here read this. It states my case perfectly pretty much, and I am lazy. :wink:

http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_nugent/nugent021203.asp 

That article makes a HORRENDOUS mistake.  The author only looks at the short term effects.  He shows that if you increase spending and cut taxes, the short term effects are positive.  Well no duh!!!  If I take an extravagent vacation around the world, stay at the finest hotels, eat caviar and drink Dom Perignon, OF COURSE I will be better off in the short run.  But what about the massive debt I've just racked up?  In the FUTURE, I won't be able to take any more extravagant vacations, because I'll have to use my money to pay down my massive debt.  The author is too shortsighted to consider this in his article. 

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: Cornholio]
    #1841186 - 08/22/03 03:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I understand that. The point is that deficit spending will help the economy, which is what we need in the short term. The thing that needs to change is we need to spend any future surpluses on the debt and cut spending on stupid shit. Tax cuts aren't stupid shit. The people in Washington need to start spending like they are spending their own money, not some endless fountain of cash. Sometimes though, you have to spend more than you receive like now.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1841277 - 08/22/03 03:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Sometimes though, you have to spend more than you receive like now. 

My personal belief is that when times are tough, you spend up to what you have.  When times are good, you pay off the debt.  You should never keep endlessly running it up, because the more debt we have the less money we have for other necessary things.  Currently, every American has to pay an average of $2,000 per year on INTEREST for the national debt.  Can you imagine how much better off we'd be if that money was actually doing something???  :tongue: 

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1841749 - 08/22/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You sound like the kind of guy who just pays the minimum monthly balance on his credit cards while the interest keeps building up. That's essentially what the Bush admnistration is doing. They keep spending more and more money that the country's supposed to pay back later, and the interest keeps going up on it. I, on the other hand, don't charge anything to my credit card that I can't pay off at the end of the month. Then when the bill comes, I pay off the full amount. If the federal government followed this example, we wouldn't have such a massive debt.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: silversoul7]
    #1841773 - 08/22/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Don't start with me. I am debt free except for my house and my car. Both will be paid for in 3 years. I agree that the debt is ridiculous. The only way to pay it off is to have more income, and less spending. Unfortunately it looks like no one cares. Clinton didn't do anything to pay off the debt, even when there was a surplus. I think the problem lies in the way our system works. Every President wants the people to be happy, and they want them to be comfortable. They need to get reelected, so they do that. Since the President can only be in office for eight years they do what they can, and pass the buck to the next administration. After looking at the way the debt has gotten larger almost every year for the past 200 years, I don't know the answer. This isn't a Bush thing. This is a government thing.

The only solution I see is to get someone in office, and a lot of people in Congress dedicated to paying down the debt. This apparently is not a priority to most Americans.

Anonymous

#1842223 - 08/22/03 09:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What a great thread overall.

Nice dialogues and explanations.

I have watched your posts for a while now.  This one gives you a 5.  You are willing to learn.  That is rare. :wink:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Immigrant Welfare Scandal Continues [Re: ]
    #1842240 - 08/22/03 09:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks man. I would never clame to know everything. I learn a lot here. Of course like most of us, I will post tripe about shit I know nothing about sometimes. :smile:

Anonymous

#1842263 - 08/22/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Your honesty is a refreshing breeze.

Serious.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom