Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ?
    #15338967 - 11/08/11 12:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hello,

After having done some cubes, I plan on growing some Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens (actually I think they are labeled as tropicalis but I hear they grow the same).

The thing is, the weather is rather cold in my area right now, so room temperature is about 68°F (20°C) with the heating on.

I have been able to fruit my cubes at 68°F no problem, but I wonder if the Panaeolus Cyanescens can take it ?

From what I got from my search results, the lowest mentioned temperature was about 72°F for these mushrooms, they seem to need higher temperatures to grow and fruit.

So I am wondering, will they just grow and fruit more slowly (and denser and more potent just like cubes :laugh:) at 68°F or will they most likely fail ? In case of which I think I'm just gonna buy a heatpad to keep them a bit warmer.

Thanks a lot,

Pyre

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: Pyre]
    #15339075 - 11/08/11 01:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"Panaeolus cyanescens has a similar temperature range as Psilocybe cubensis e.g incubate at 80°F and fruit at 75°F so no real changes are needed in your equipment set up."

From here

"It is fairly common in the San Francisco Bay Area in cold weather (mainly December and January, though in favorable conditions fruiting as late as March"

Taken from here

Also this might have useful info

Or This

Doesn't really answer your question directly but at least gives you somewhere to start while waiting for someone with more experience.

Hope it helps and good luck :smile:

Edit: link not relevant

Edited by Psuperdelic (11/08/11 12:19 PM)

OfflineXFINITY
Not a noob just quiet
Male User Gallery

Loc: 33*44'43.5N 117*55'08.2W
Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: Psuperdelic]
    #15339121 - 11/08/11 01:37 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It is fine at that temperature, I have some growing in my garage and it is nearly freezing in there, I have actually noticed Pans like a temp fluctuation. What they love most though is air, so don't compromise fresh air for artificial heat. They also like high humidity with a somewhat drier casing layer. Good luck!

OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: XFINITY]
    #15340431 - 11/08/11 12:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hello,

Thanks a bunch for your answers,

@Psuperdelic : yeah that's what I also found in my searches on the forum, they say they should accept the same temperatures as cubes but  since no one mentioned temperatures as low as 20°C I thought I'd better ask :smile: (by the way did you notice you second link is about Psilocybe Cyanescens which is another species ? :laugh:) anyway thank you !

@XFINITY : Ok I think I'll just try then, I'll use the same terrarium I use for my cubes, it has holes stuffed with Polyfill like in a monotub but with perlite in the bottom, and I put the trays on the perlite and fan twice a day.
I'll make some LC so it won't matter if it fails, I'll just have to make more spawn and try again with higher temps :laugh:

Thanks a lot guys,

Pyre

OfflineOregonChronic
Iron, Lion, Cyans
 User Gallery

Loc: Scoping Woodchips
Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: Pyre]
    #15340511 - 11/08/11 12:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I got some pan cyan glc in the works right now. Was going to inoc many rye jars and spawn to monos of pasteurized hpoo/verm. Im not all that experienced in pasteurizing or casing yet so it'll be something new to me.

For pan cyans and cubes I keep my temps at 70-76F a bit below 70F won't hurt but it goes slower. A bit above 80F and it also grows slower and highers chances of other contams. Better a bit cooler than a bit warmer.

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:Wavy Cap Cyan Spore Prints for Trade/Sale :mushroomgrow:

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15340527 - 11/08/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Pyre said:

@Psuperdelic: (by the way did you notice you second link is about Psilocybe Cyanescens which is another species ? :laugh:)

Damn, I didn't notice . I'll have to pay a bit more attention next time :crazy2:

OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: Psuperdelic]
    #15340680 - 11/08/11 01:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well let's hope everything goes fine at 20°C, we shall see ! And maybe they will get more potent as well if they grow slow, though I won't have any point of comparison since this is my first grow of Pan Cyans :laugh:

Got some WBS jars almost ready for inoculation, I have no pressure cooker so I use tyndallization on my grain after soaking it with a bit of coffee and peroxyde, and none of my jars ever contaminated ! But I have only used LC so I guess this helped too, anyway spores should be here soon, can't wait to get started !

I plan on spawning the WBS to composted hpoo, then casing it with a mix of verm and coco coir, I guess it should be fine !

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15340873 - 11/08/11 01:48 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Tyndallization -a word that I needed to know but didn't and that I probably wouldn't have come across for a while . I wanted to try wbs next but was resigned to the fact that it wouldn't happen for a while, until I had a PC. If that is not a sign from the shroom gods I don't know what is :grin:

Pyre - you sir are a gentleman and a scholar :thumbup: :smile:

OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#15342686 - 11/09/11 12:07 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well I'm glad I could teach you something, cause I don't know much and almost everything I know I learned here on the Shroomery.

I hope it will work for you as well as it did for me, here are some things I do that are not necessary listed in the teks you may find on the web :
- I soak the grain in water with some coffee and some peroxyde (this might help)
- I then boil it for about 10-15 minutes in the soaking water (when cracked kernels start to appear I stop boiling)
- I drain it then I load the jars and steam the jars 3 times 3 days in a row, but instead of steaming them for only 30 minutes as some teks say it, I usually do it for 1 hour each time.

Voila, maybe I do unnecessary things in my process, but I think "better safe than sorry" :laugh:

OfflinePsuperdelic
Strange

#15342789 - 11/09/11 12:44 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Pyre said:
Well I'm glad I could teach you something, cause I don't know much and almost everything I know I learned here on the Shroomery.

I hope it will work for you as well as it did for me, here are some things I do that are not necessary listed in the teks you may find on the web :
- I soak the grain in water with some coffee and some peroxyde (this might help)
- I then boil it for about 10-15 minutes in the soaking water (when cracked kernels start to appear I stop boiling)
- I drain it then I load the jars and steam the jars 3 times 3 days in a row, but instead of steaming them for only 30 minutes as some teks say it, I usually do it for 1 hour each time.

Voila, maybe I do unnecessary things in my process, but I think "better safe than sorry" :laugh:

Thanks Pyre! :thumbup:

Yeah I'll go the better safe then sorry path too. Just found a nice pink contam on one of my poor BRF cakes :frown: I still cant bring myself to toss it lol

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: XFINITY]
    #15343059 - 11/09/11 02:58 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Like others said, you won't have any issues. During winter I fruit pans at 60F (night) 68-70F (day) but in my experience they prefer higher temperatures. Good luck with your grow :thumbup:

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: LeopardMan]
    #15344615 - 11/09/11 12:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks a lot for this confirmation, I'll just happily get started when I get my spores then !

Pyre

OfflineSeppy
Stranger
    #15457175 - 12/02/11 11:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm more concerned about what to fruit them on.

OfflinePyre
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Will Panaeolus (Copelandia) Cyanescens grow and fruit at low temperatures (68°F) ? [Re: Seppy]
    #15457579 - 12/03/11 02:53 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Seppy : Well I'm thinking about spawning it to manure and casing it with a mix of coco coir and vermiculite.

But first I have a problem to solve, guys : I received my spore syringe, but I think I've been ripped off with a poor quality syringe.

1. The problem

First of all I was a bit surprised when I saw it was very clear, but I used it anyway. I inoculated three jars of WBS, and 2 liquid cultures (made with strawberry syrup and water - this LC tek worked fine for all my cubensis LCs, from spore or from clone).

I used about 1cc of spore solution for each jar/LC. Inoculated exactly the same way I did for my Cubes.

The problem is that none of the LCs showed signs of growth (it's been more than 2 weeks), and out of my three WBS jars, only one is currently showing signs of growth, and myc grows only on one out of the four inoculation points of the jar !

2. My options to solve it

I think the problem may be that I did not use enough spore solution. I have never worked with commercial spore solution before, so I think they sell very very diluted spore syringes and that I should use several CC's of solution (when I worked with Cubes, I always inoculated with my own LCs, from spore or clone).

The good news is that I still have 3 CCs of spore solution left. Plus my only colonizing jar (which is going slow because only one out of the four inoculation points showed signs of growth).

Here is what I'm thinking about :

- Solution a) let my jar grow, then do a grain to grain transfer in my other jars (hoping they don't contaminate in the meantime, otherwise i'll just make other jars)

- Solution b) use my last 3 CCs of spore solution to make LC. Here's the dilemma : it would be very tempting to use all the 3 CCs in only one LC, but I don't like to rely on one single LC, in case it would fail. But then again, when I used about 1 CC per LC, they showed no sign of growth.

I think I can do both, with Solution a) I just have to wait for full colonization of my jar, then when I spawn it to manure I just grab some grain and put it in other jars. I don't think I have anything to lose doing this and I think it has good chances of working. Any suggestions ?

My main question is about Solution b) : could it be that Panaeolus cyanescens don't like my LC tek ? I use about 4CCs of strawberry syrup for 100CCs of water, I used this tek successfully with my Cubes numerous times. If it could be that my Pan Cyans don't like it, do you have any suggestions regarding another LC tek ?

Thanks for any of your suggestions !

tl;dr : I've been ripped with a poor quality syringe. I have 3 CCs of spore solution left and one colonizing jar. I'm trying to figure how to  use my last 3 CCS.

P.S : I have the exact same problem with my Psilocybe Atlantis syringe, except none of my jars showed any sign of growth. But I still have 3 CCs left in my syringe, so any advice would be very welcome :smile:

OfflinePeter Pan Cyan
Stranger -Billy Joel
 User Gallery

Loc: MidWest
    #18416366 - 06/13/13 10:17 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Chief, lemme give a hand if I may... I, at first, had a bit of trouble when I attempted to colonize Pan Cyans (maybe its because that is where I started off the get-go as a newbie oh well). Personally, I haven't heard of using strawberry something or other as a substrate, not saying it won't work, but this is what I used that DID work. First off: I feel it is in no question good advice not to spare a dime on good syringes when started a new Species or Genus--close off as many options for failure as possible to build a good hypothesis. Buy from TheHawksEye.com. Thank me later. Next, use about 1/4 to 1/2 CC per hole. I also bought horse shit off Ebay from "Miatadoctor." She is the shit (no pun intended). of course, if she asks, don't admit to growing mushmash. 3rd, keep the jars you inoculated until you get some thing that works. I just found mine that I inoculated a month ago just started to colonize. Lastly, my best advice in my experience was use the right temp. I just bumped the colonizing temp up to about 79-82F. Almost forgot, the time that worked I didn't flame sterilize and won't out of fear i may have been getting the needle too hot as the solution moved through it into the jars. I just wipe the needle off with alcohol. That one is TOTALLY up to you, bro. I'm sure others on this site would tell me to get bent ha ha ha. Don't try crazy shit your first time out on the track. Stick. to. the basics!! Best luck to ya.

--------------------
Pretentiousness is not an accolade.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom