Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Who Has Extensive Experience with Outdoor Grows?
    #12823351 - 06/29/10 12:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I want to cultivate mushrooms in the understory of a food forest.

How big will the mycelial network become? Are there ways of helping it spread throughout the entire forest floor? Is it possible to crop indefinitely using the same network of mycelium?

Will magic mushrooms colonize wood mulch from the county green waste or will they only grow in the areas where I have spread manure/straw?

What would be a good edible species to colonize the aforementioned county green waste (lots of different plant materials)?

Please let me know how I can effectively integrate the cultivation of gourmet/medicinal/psychoactive mushrooms in the understory of a food forest.

Thanks.

P.S. The forest is located in coastal southern california. Very mild climate. Zone 24 of the Sunset Western Garden Book.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemirror dimension
Stranger
Re: Who Has Extensive Experience with Outdoor Grows? [Re: insipidtoast]
    #12823363 - 06/29/10 12:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

check out moes outdoor tek

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Loc: Californi-eh
Re: Who Has Extensive Experience with Outdoor Grows? [Re: mirror dimension]
    #12823617 - 06/29/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=61&Number=4304709&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

Outdoor grow ^

For different species use the recommended methods for it's particular species. Most edibles are primarily grown outdoors anyhow.

There are species called woodlovers that would do good on wood mulch if the type of wood is correct. Cubensis will not grow on wood(unless you really put forth some nutrient additives) but more potent species like psilocybe azurens will do wonderful on wood.
Oyster mushrooms are a great learning species, taste great, and grow on almost anything.

Your questions are a very broad so you should pick out specific types you're looking to grow.

As for how big the network gets is typically as big as you provide spawn in a good ratio that allows the mycelium to not have to cover more area than it can handle. For instance going over a 1-3 ratio of spawn to manure for a cubensis bulk grow would be pushing the limit and a 1-2 ratio would be better suited. If you spread enough grow sites in large sizes you could get a reoccurring network or system of mycelium to disperse enough spores that it would grow on what it colonizes naturally.

Try out psilocybe cyan or psilocybe azure's for your area if you want a good wood lover that grows in large clusters. Though I'm not sure what your area is like because these prefer cold weather when they begin to fruit. If it doesn't get in freezing temps and well below during winter they wont do so well. So if you want reoccurring flushes you'll have to refresh the substrate you are growing on.

--------------------
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

Re: Who Has Extensive Experience with Outdoor Grows? [Re: SillyBilly]
    #12824822 - 06/29/10 05:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That's a pretty amazing outdoor grow.

I've looked at many of the outdoor teks. What I'm really curious about is whether or not one could use wood mulch as a casing for cubensis.

It sounds like my best bet would be to use the laundry basket full of pasteurized straw being colonized by Pleurotus citrinopileatus (this is a tropical/subtropical oyster species) spawn to inoculate most of the understory of the forest. From what you have told me, I reckon it might be the best candidate to colonize the wood mulch derived from (very likely) many different species of plant. Then, perhaps in another area, I could remove a large amount of the mulch layer and backfill with horse manure/straw to create a moderately sized patch of medicinal cubes or something. Basically any warm-weather mushroom should do fine here.

I'm very curious about the wikipedia article I found on Panaeolus cyanescens because it says the mushroom can be found in California. This surprises me because any we have temperatures above 70F the humidity is always greatly reduced. Perhaps this species could be naturalized. During our fog-enveloped late spring/early summer season.
From everything I've gathered it sounds like outdoor grows are much easier. Pasteurizing of substrate is not even necessary?

I have my doubts about any of those cold-weather, wood-loving psilocybes growing in this region. It may be possible to fruit in february when we get consistent rains and the temperatures are low, but this is a subtropical climate we're talking about here. Temperatures very rarely drop below freezing - Maybe only on one or two nights out of the year.
Here's a climate-zoning table- http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/climate_zones.htm ; (See 10b)

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

#12825662 - 06/29/10 07:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry I'm not very familiar with California, I had only saw you were from California not Southern Cali by the time I had written that but figured I might as well keep it in there.

There's one species of the psilocybes that is notorious in California for being a weed mushroom in legal mushroom farms because it always pop's up in the outdoor grows of I think...the portabellas.

Pan Cyans do well after a series of pretty good rains on a shaded patch of horse manure in my experience. They don't need really high humidity but any humidity level outside that is really high will be ok because of the constantly moving fresh air. The only hard part is colonizing because they can be weaker and less aggressive than a cubensis, though that may not be a problem outdoors. As you said pasteurizing isn't truly necessary outdoors because those bacteria that help the mycelium combat contaminates are in abundance outside.

Mulch would be a find casing layer for anything that is growing outdoors that would have any use for a casing layer, with the exception that it could be too heavy or thick for mushrooms to form through while getting enough oxygen.

A very good way of spreading mass amounts of mushroom culture or spores around an area you want to turn into a growing field or what have you, is to take the mushrooms you want growing and put them in a blender. Once you have a nice gross slushy of mushrooms you can put that in a hose attachment like the kind pesticides or fertilizers come in and just spray the area down with that slush.

If you really want a good casing buy peat moss from home depot or lowes that comes in a bag. It shouldn't have the amount of big sticks and stuff that comes in peat moss that you can in small bail looking "bags". It's much softer and to me resembles dry coco coir when dried out. You can buffer the PH if you get a fairly good PH meter, which should cost you about 70-90$. To buffer the PH, down or up, to a desirable level of 8 buy hydrated lime. It should say sweeten the soil and only use a little bit at a time when you are trying to adjust PH because a little goes a long way.
This is the preferred brand.

Check this out aswell, http://www.shroomery.org/18/Gourmet-Mushrooms

--------------------

Offlineinsipidtoast
Stranger

#12826283 - 06/29/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SillyBilly said:

A very good way of spreading mass amounts of mushroom culture or spores around an area you want to turn into a growing field or what have you, is to take the mushrooms you want growing and put them in a blender. Once you have a nice gross slushy of mushrooms you can put that in a hose attachment like the kind pesticides or fertilizers come in and just spray the area down with that slush.

If you really want a good casing buy peat moss from home depot or lowes that comes in a bag. It shouldn't have the amount of big sticks and stuff that comes in peat moss that you can in small bail looking "bags". It's much softer and to me resembles dry coco coir when dried out. You can buffer the PH if you get a fairly good PH meter, which should cost you about 70-90$. To buffer the PH, down or up, to a desirable level of 8 buy hydrated lime. It should say sweeten the soil and only use a little bit at a time when you are trying to adjust PH because a little goes a long way.

Wow! Have you tried that slushy method? If that works, I'm just gonna use my surplus of liquid cultures on a patch of outdoor straw/horse manure. Every post I've read regarding that idea has always told the OP not to do that.

A good PH meter would be nice. Any ideas on where to get one? Pool store?

I was not able to find hydrated lime anywhere in town, but we have a product called Azomite around these parts, which is an alkaline volcanic ash used to "remineralize soils." I'd be curious to test the PH of that alone.

Invisiblestratos
blunt rolling master
Male

Loc: florida! Flag
    #12826580 - 06/29/10 10:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

here.

this dude seems to know whats up.

--------------------

OfflineSillyBilly
Professional

Re: Who Has Extensive Experience with Outdoor Grows? [Re: stratos]
    #12826819 - 06/29/10 11:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've never seen anyone say it doesn't work. In fact I've heard it from many trusted cultivators, which is actually where I got the idea from. I even had someone I know do it with oyster mushrooms and he says they've really done wonders on his compost pile.

Your lucky, online they sell for 59$! http://www.amazon.com/Oakton-Waterproof-EcoTestr-Pocket-Meter/dp/B003NV5508
I paid like 89$ for mine at a hydroponics shop and I have the same one. It's very good because it is water proof if you happen to be testing liquids. The one in the link is the same one I bought.

Hi-yield is a very popular brand and basically the standard for us. So if you look in a nursery store you should be able to find it.

--------------------

Offlinegman7104

#18407255 - 06/12/13 07:54 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

SillyBilly said:
Sorry I'm not very familiar with California, I had only saw you were from California not Southern Cali by the time I had written that but figured I might as well keep it in there.

There's one species of the psilocybes that is notorious in California for being a weed mushroom in legal mushroom farms because it always pop's up in the outdoor grows of I think...the portabellas.

Pan Cyans do well after a series of pretty good rains on a shaded patch of horse manure in my experience. They don't need really high humidity but any humidity level outside that is really high will be ok because of the constantly moving fresh air. The only hard part is colonizing because they can be weaker and less aggressive than a cubensis, though that may not be a problem outdoors. As you said pasteurizing isn't truly necessary outdoors because those bacteria that help the mycelium combat contaminates are in abundance outside.

Mulch would be a find casing layer for anything that is growing outdoors that would have any use for a casing layer, with the exception that it could be too heavy or thick for mushrooms to form through while getting enough oxygen.

Lol thats a pretty good idea, instead of hydroseeding we'll call it hydrosporing or... hydroshrooming? :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract