Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: Middleman]
    #1868229 - 08/31/03 11:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

WOW!!!

you found the 17-point tree of life!

If figured that one out a while back... thought I was the first, then I found out this asshole named Virtuvius found all that shit like a thousand years ago...

Yeah, I was fuckin around with the tree of life and I started thinking... "why isnt it symmetrical?" then I came up with a drwaing very similar to yours and with pretty much the same tarot correspondances.

I guess great minds think alike. Nice work!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1868267 - 08/31/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"why would you hope that?
why would you want to destroy the craft of playing an ACTUAL instrument? "

because it is an uneccesary intermediary. Dont get me wrong, if such a device were available, I would still play my guitar for fun, and I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would rather listen to "real" musicians. But, for both composition and performance, playing an instrument is very limiting.

Composition: your ability to compose and play a melody is limited by your understanding of the instrument, and its particular brand of theory. And what if you want a timbre for which no instrument exists? (the only luck I've had with getting these is synthesizers, but even they have their limitations) Sometimes the sound in your head doesnt correspond to any particular instrument... its new...

Performance: well, I can think in 16ths at 180bpm, but playing them is pretty hard... not to mention tiring! Also, I can think multiple parts in my head... but I can only play one at a time.

Anyway, I think it would be cool to go to a concert where the musician just sat there with electrodes on his head, producing a continous stream of music with his mind. Could work for both audio and visual!!!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1868318 - 08/31/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Performance: well, I can think in 16ths at 180bpm, but playing them is pretty hard...  not to mention tiring!  Also, I can think multiple parts in my head...  but I can only play one at a time. 

Ahh, come on, 180 isn't that bad.. just need to buid up those arms first! Now, 225 bpm is an alltogether different matter... :grin:

An insturment is a form of expression, I guess if there is a way to forego this and pour out the music directly from your head, there would be no need.. Can't say if I would like it or not...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1868320 - 08/31/03 12:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i had a dream that i was writing symbols with markers on a dry erase board.
it had something to do w/ figuring out LaTerAlUs. musically/magically...

then MJK came from around the corner and looked at what i was writing,
and he just shook his head and pulled from my hand the marker,
which turned into an eraser that he used to wipe the board clean.

i don't remember much else, just when he smirked and said "i was joking"
and handed me a yellow notebook filled with musical ideas and writing that looked kinda like: 

That's a funny, and also a very cool dream.  :grin:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: Murex]
    #1868372 - 08/31/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Ahh, come on, 180 isn't that bad.. just need to buid up those arms first! Now, 225 bpm is an alltogether different matter... "

I was gonna build up my arms, but then I built my computer...

Now Reason does all that shit for me :wink:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1868661 - 08/31/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I myself am afraid that my ability to play guitar has been shrinking steadily since I left my cherished child behind in the United States.. I can't even buy my new Ibanez baby (EDB605) until next month, when I get paid again (it will cost at least $300 more due to Norwegian taxes and international shipping), which is when I am taking a trip to Oslo, where there is a store that has it for sale..

I mean, it has been a month now, and the 20th is twenty days away... I seriously get this urge to pick up a guitar. No joke. My hands actually try to feel a guitar and play it, it is very strange... withdrawls, no doubt.

I mean, my technique is always something I have treasured, slowly forging through hours of practice and fun (and some helpful, psychoactive companions to give me a turbo boost... fair warning: cocaine was designed for guitar players and rock musicians. to do cocaine and play guitar equals DEATH), and I have went over a full month with NO guitar in my hand...

At times, I feel like breaking down, and walking two miles to a hardware store that has a guitar shop in back, where I saw some guitars, and just buying one... but I must remain strong. My precccciiioouss Ring (oh, wait, wrong movie) Ibanez (which I have already named "Sirius", despite my strong dislike of naming instruments) is the only axe worthy of me, now, and to waste my money on a cheap slut on a street corner only desecrates Sirius name (and sets me back from liberating it from the shop in Oslo, I might add). Must remain faithful at all costs, must remain faithful at all costs... MUST... remaiiinnn FAITHFUL!!!

Ohhh God, Will there never be an END to my suffering and misery?!!! Am I tormented to walk this earth alone, with no ability to release my musical, creative tensions! Fuck Guitar Pro! Fuck Fruity Loops! Fuck this computer! And, you, Mr. Amplifier! Do you feel SPECCCIIALLL that you made the trip on the airplane with me?! Well?! DO YOU?! I'll have you know that you are NOTHING without my bass guitar! I'll FUCKING have you know that I had my bass guitar WAYY before I bought your sorry ass from that cheap ass music shop! YOU ARE FUCKING NOTHING! DO YOU HEAR ME?! WELL, DO YOU?!!

?realizes that he is yelling uncontrollably at an inanimate object?

WHERE'S MY METHADONE?! ?stabs the cat? ?starts panting uncontrollably, then finally settles down?

Okay, I feel better now.

There is just something about finally mastering your instrument that holds no compare.. your guitar becomes you. Why not continue to play guitar and accompany it with the music in your head? :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

Loc: in miami where aint shit ...
Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1869942 - 09/01/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i like ltd's. last ibanez i had was a 7-string ax'd... which was later called the seven stringed monstrosity. nothing but shitty pickups, a shitty paintjob, and a really bad buzz between the 1st and 8th frets on the 7th string, no matter what guage i switched to. now i have the ltd stephan carpenter [deftones] model. and its beautiful.

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#1870327 - 09/01/03 02:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:

Now Reason does all that shit for me :wink:

so you produce?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1870351 - 09/01/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I myself am afraid that my ability to play guitar has been shrinking steadily since I left my cherished child behind in the United States.. I can't even buy my new Ibanez baby (EDB605) until next month, when I get paid again (it will cost at least $300 more due to Norwegian taxes and international shipping), which is when I am taking a trip to Oslo, where there is a store that has it for sale..

I mean, it has been a month now, and the 20th is twenty days away... I seriously get this urge to pick up a guitar. No joke. My hands actually try to feel a guitar and play it, it is very strange... withdrawls, no doubt.

I mean, my technique is always something I have treasured, slowly forging through hours of practice and fun (and some helpful, psychoactive companions to give me a turbo boost... fair warning: cocaine was designed for guitar players and rock musicians. to do cocaine and play guitar equals DEATH), and I have went over a full month with NO guitar in my hand...

At times, I feel like breaking down, and walking two miles to a hardware store that has a guitar shop in back, where I saw some guitars, and just buying one... but I must remain strong. My precccciiioouss Ring (oh, wait, wrong movie) Ibanez (which I have already named "Sirius", despite my strong dislike of naming instruments) is the only axe worthy of me, now, and to waste my money on a cheap slut on a street corner only desecrates Sirius name (and sets me back from liberating it from the shop in Oslo, I might add). Must remain faithful at all costs, must remain faithful at all costs... MUST... remaiiinnn FAITHFUL!!!

Ohhh God, Will there never be an END to my suffering and misery?!!! Am I tormented to walk this earth alone, with no ability to release my musical, creative tensions! Fuck Guitar Pro! Fuck Fruity Loops! Fuck this computer! And, you, Mr. Amplifier! Do you feel SPECCCIIALLL that you made the trip on the airplane with me?! Well?! DO YOU?! I'll have you know that you are NOTHING without my bass guitar! I'll FUCKING have you know that I had my bass guitar WAYY before I bought your sorry ass from that cheap ass music shop! YOU ARE FUCKING NOTHING! DO YOU HEAR ME?! WELL, DO YOU?!!

WHERE'S MY METHADONE?! ?stabs the cat? ?starts panting uncontrollably, then finally settles down?

WOAH!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: Strumpling]
    #1870550 - 09/01/03 05:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry all, I get INSANE in the membrane when I don't get my guitar playing again.. I'll end this before I'm reminded of how long it will be before I play again..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #1871826 - 09/01/03 04:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Soundmind.
Dude.

We(you) have share more of what you have studied with Lateralus...
Seriously.

For instance, tell me more of what you have come to regarding the title?

we really need a whole new Tool thread...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: Blastrid]
    #1873430 - 09/02/03 02:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:
Soundmind.
Dude.

We(you) have share more of what you have studied with Lateralus...
Seriously.

For instance, tell me more of what you have come to regarding the title?

we really need a whole new Tool thread...

What we really should do is make a Shroomery cover band that just records Lateralus, and then we could all listen to it on here.

I could play bass (all of Justin's lines are within my capabilites, its just that I am not good at figuring lines out from listening to the cd, never really practiced it, so I would have to find tabs and such, mostly off Guitar Pro). But what we dcould do is put the songs together just like Meshuggah does; someone lays down the guitar tracks, then it is sent to everyone eles and they record their part, and then we have a finishes product.

I mean, think about it. Shroomery.com's tribute to Tool. We would be showing our appreciation to Tool for all the psychadelic, meaningful, cool music that they have released. I am sure we could catch God's (Maynard) attention with this, I am sure he'd be interested.

So, do we have any good singers, guitarists, and drummers in the house?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

#1873747 - 09/02/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i've taken a few years of vocal coaching, I can sing, but I'm definately nowhere close to Maynard status. More like a second-rate Chino Moreno.

I can play guitar too... played for 9 years... since I was 10.

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: SizzlinJ]
    #1873753 - 09/02/03 09:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

btw, fireworks god... i have the sheet music and tabs to the bass parts and guitar parts in a few books... for some reason down here we have a few 'unauthorized tab books' .. but they seem to be about 98 percent accurate. only thing is there's so many layers on certain parts of the songs that the guy didn't even know what the hell to write down.

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1873909 - 09/02/03 11:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SizzlinJ said:
btw, fireworks god... i have the sheet music and tabs to the bass parts and guitar parts in a few books... for some reason down here we have a few 'unauthorized tab books' .. but they seem to be about 98 percent accurate. only thing is there's so many layers on certain parts of the songs that the guy didn't even know what the hell to write down.

I know that on Lateralus, there are like two bass layers. But we could record what works, and if I have the tabs, I could just record twice (the benefit of the Meshuggah method). There are a lot of bass that he did that uses a chorus and a delay; I don't have my shitty Digitech multi processer here (Thank GOD!), but maybe there are effects in some of the recording software..

Anyways, yeah, if we could find someone to do every different instrument and vocals, then we should definitely take a stab at it. It'd be nice to do all the songs, but we could do what we could do.. If Shroomism is interested, we could switch off on different tracks for the bass (too bad we couldn't throw in Metallica's Orion, we could do a harmony bass line! hehe). If more than one person is interested for a certain instrument, that's what we could do.

Also, if no drummer is present or would be interested, we could at least program them and have it sound decent enough.

I know we have a lot of musicians here. Who wants to give it a shot? It'd be quite fun...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

#1873992 - 09/02/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the drummer for my current band, jose, who pretty much doesn't listen to anything but tool, a perfect circle, and shit with insane double-bass, has a computer with a protools set up that he records to all the time, just drumtracks.

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1874026 - 09/02/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'll be moving discussion of this topic over to a new thread, to fit our purposes. I'll be starting it right now..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#1874971 - 09/02/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

so you produce?

please post a song for The Shroomery CD...

When I have one good enough, I will.  Everything I've done to date I consider "student work", the quality of which is reflected by the fact that I'm still learning how to use all the software.

I'm in postgrad school full time, plus I have 2 jobs, so its real difficult to make time and energy for musical projects...  Consequently, I often get bored with an idea before its done, and I have a lot of half finished tracks on my hard drive that can testify to this :smile:

I seriously doubt if I can make the first CD deadline (sept 26th?)...  maybe the second one, if there is a second one...

As soon as I can cough up the change for some tables, my motivation to create new tracks will increase greatly.  I'm tired of working on tracks with the knowledge that once theyre done, I'll have nothing to do with them, other than pass them on to local DJs who take all the credit.  Once I have the resources to start building a vinyl collection and playing live sets, making new tracks will hold much greater interest for me.

I don't know...  I have a couple of remixes that are mostly done, but I would like to hear some of the other tracks on the Shroomery CD to make sure that mine dont stand out as "hackish" in comparison...  I mean, I've been screwing around with audio software since Rebirth and Acid were new, but Its only been in the past year that I have started seriously working on projects.  These days, I use Reason, Absynth, Soundforge, and Sonar (Cakewalk).  Maybe one day I'll tackle Logic (I have the latest version), but it seems needlesly complex for my purposes.

Most of the stuff I do is DnB/Jungle, but recently I've been getting into Trance composition, simply because it is so much easier...

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: Psychological and metaphysical aspects of Music [Re: Blastrid]
    #3350219 - 11/12/04 04:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Good post Blastrid!  :smile:

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#3350426 - 11/12/04 06:47 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:

Okay, I feel better now.

There is just something about finally mastering your instrument that holds no compare.. your guitar becomes you. Why not continue to play guitar and accompany it with the music in your head? :grin:
Peace.

:lol:

My, how time changes people... :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale