Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRockMeOnTheWater
Psicologist

Loc: WGT NZ Flag
Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<????
    #18390731 - 06/09/13 12:43 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I've been worried about picking these since the start. I believe I finally have a positive sighting of NZ GALERINA. Please confirm or ID...

Habitat:
Central NZ. It was on cultivated soil (gardens) but in vacinity of wood chip gardens where subs (below) do grow. Didn't take a pic of growing unfortunately (dumb!).

Gills:
As per pic.

Stem:
Has a little "FRILL" near top of stem (and half way on one) - key characteristic for galerina I believe, yes??

Cap:
Looks dead similar to P. Subaerungonosa!!!!!!!!!!

Spore print color:
RUSTY BROWN!!! Classic. See comparison to the subs in g3-left; galerina g3-right.

Bruising:
None.

Other information:
Nasty little beasts. Avoid!

g1

g2

g3: subs on left, galerina (?) on right

g4

g5

g6

g7

g8

g9

And SUBS that the spore print in g3-left came from:
g10

g11

Note how similar the caps of subs really are to galerina (as they have said!).

I hope I'm correct here as I have not been able to find any good pics of NZ galerina to compare with and am going a bit mad worrying about these g's, e.g., no pics here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8599016
If these are galerina then I am relieved - now I know what to AVOID...and what I have previously captured...are...maybe...okay. Hope this is helpful.

All comments welcome.

--------------------
Let the music keep our spirits high, And let the buildings keep our children dry, Let creation reveal its secrets by and by, When the light that's lost within us reaches the sky.

Edited by RockMeOnTheWater (06/09/13 12:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: RockMeOnTheWater]
    #18390750 - 06/09/13 12:47 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Pholiotina sp.

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: WA Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #18390761 - 06/09/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

maybe, but maybe also something close to Pholiotina rugosa

--------------------
~~~~~~***Psilocybin Mushrooms***~~~~~~
_________A Practical Guide To Psilocybin Mushrooms_________

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: Byrain]
    #18390763 - 06/09/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
Pholiotina sp.

damn late on the draw.

--------------------

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: Joust]
    #18390985 - 06/09/13 01:57 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

It's useful to get more than just the one TI opinion.

--------------------
Let the music keep our spirits high, And let the buildings keep our children dry, Let creation reveal its secrets by and by, When the light that's lost within us reaches the sky.

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #18391869 - 06/09/13 10:54 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RockMeOnTheWater said:
It's useful to get more than just the one TI opinion.

you got two..:confused:

--------------------

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #18392255 - 06/09/13 12:28 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Not all Galerina have a membranous annulus or "Frill" as you described it.

I agree with the others, your find here is a Pholiotina species and should be treated as very toxic.

--------------------

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: Joust] * 1
    #18392720 - 06/09/13 02:33 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Exactly. My comment and point was it's good to get more than one TI's opinion.
And even better...I got THREE replies which is really great. In fact, it is disconcerting when you get only one TI opinion. It would seem that the system works best when there is multiple agreement - three TI opnions is, I would argue, optimal and ideal in a statistical sense; one opinion is minimal and leaves open the possibility of false positive and uncertainty. TIs shouldn't worry about confirming previous TI opinions - it's simply stronger confirmation. And if they disagree, that's interesting.

--------------------

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
    #18392733 - 06/09/13 02:36 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RockMeOnTheWater said:
And even better...I got THREE replies which is really great. In fact, it is disconcerting when you get only one TI opinion. It would seem that the system works best when there is multiple agreement - three TI opnions is, I would argue, optimal and ideal in a statistical sense; one opinion is minimal and leaves open the possibility of false positive and uncertainty. TIs shouldn't worry about confirming previous TI opinions - it's simply stronger confirmation. And if they disagree, that's interesting.

I agree 100%. :thumbup:

--------------------

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: inski]
    #18392749 - 06/09/13 02:38 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

inski said:
Not all Galerina have a membranous annulus or "Frill" as you described it.

I agree with the others, your find here is a Pholiotina species and should be treated as very toxic.

So annulus not necessary. Okay. Glad you agree it's not galerina and is Pholiotina. And thanks for the info on consumption - I haven't even seen that mentioned elsewhere!

Seems my quest continues (sheesh)...to find a positive for a galerina and is fraught with negatives. I guess I am a bit better at knowing what to pick, if not what not to pick...

Still looking for good local pictures of galerina. Seen any?

--------------------

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: Joust]
    #18392761 - 06/09/13 02:42 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Joust said:
Quote:

Byrain said:
Pholiotina sp.

damn late on the draw.

Thanks you two!

--------------------

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #18395182 - 06/10/13 12:12 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psylosymonreturns said:
Quote:

RockMeOnTheWater said:

I agree 100%. :thumbup:

Is there no good thread on galerina on the site? It seems such an important topic (avoiding death?). The fact they look so similar is goddamn alarming. See image of galerinas in this video
(skip to time: 54m 54s):

THEY ARE SO SIMILAR TO SUBS!! I am still trying to understand the differences.
Some links would be appreciated muchly.

--------------------

Edited by RockMeOnTheWater (06/10/13 12:48 AM)

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#18395203 - 06/10/13 12:19 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

If the mushroom does not bruise blue, spore print it. If the spore print is rusty brown, Galerina.

Thats the rule of thumb i use out in the field, considering galerina dont bruise blue or have a purplish spore print, id consider the success rate of this method pretty solid if followed correctly.

Of course this is not a good enough way to positivly ID galerina, but it will keep you safe from eating them.

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Edited by OregonBlueShroom (06/10/13 12:21 AM)

Psicologist

Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18395265 - 06/10/13 12:39 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:
If the mushroom does not bruise blue, spore print it. If the spore print is rusty brown, Galerina.

Thats the rule of thumb i use out in the field, considering galerina dont bruise blue or have a purplish spore print, id consider the success rate of this method pretty solid if followed correctly.

Of course this is not a good enough way to positivly ID galerina, but it will keep you safe from eating them.

Yeh, the above didn't stain blue, and printed rusty orange as galerina...thought I was onto a winner!...and still the experts claim I was way off!!! BUT, at least I learned that they are v. toxic. This site is great.

--------------------

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#18395287 - 06/10/13 12:44 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Here are some pictures i thought i would share of some Galerina i found a few weeks ago, I believe them to be Galerina Marginata

The caps are mostly dried to the lighter color but you can see how there hygrophanous just like many actives on one of them if you look for it in the first picture. You can also see the rusty brown spores deposited on top some of the smaller ones.

Remember that Galerinas, just like subaeruginosa and all mushrooms/ animal/ and people can vary greatly in appearance.

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Edited by OregonBlueShroom (06/10/13 12:45 AM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Finally!!! Are THESE >>>galerina<<<???? [Re: Byrain]
    #18395318 - 06/10/13 12:54 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
Pholiotina sp.

I agree.

Here is the Pholiotina key from FAN 6

Quote:

KEY
ONE
Veil leaving a membranaceous annulus on stipe. The annulus is loosely attached to the stipe and radially striate-sulcate
on upper side. Cheilocystidia subcylindrical, lageniform or utriform (sect. Pholiotina)
N.B. The annulus may be ephemeral. Occasionally the annulus is broken in several parts, which may be adhering
to the pileus margin. Such remains of the veil are usually striate at one side, thicker and less numerous than on the
species keyed out in key two (sect. Vestitae and Intermediae). In other cases the annulus may have disappeared
completely in mature basidiocarps or it is adhering to surrounding vegetation. Key four is available for identification
of older basidiocarps.
1. Spores 9.0–15.0 × 5.0–7.5 μm, on the average longer than 10.0 μm
2. Basidia 2-spored . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7. Ph. teneroides
2. Basidia 4-spored
3. Cheilocystidia lageniform with long, cylindrical or tapering neck, 3.0–4.0 μm broad. . . . . . . . . 5. Ph. vexans
3. Cheilocystidia utriform with rounded apex, 7.0–12.0 μm broad . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6. Ph. utricystidiata
1. Spores 6.5–10.0 × 4.0–5.5 μm, on the average less than 10.0 μm long
4. Spores without germ pore; basidiocarps usually vernal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3. Ph. aporos
4. Spores with germ pore; basidiocarps usually in summer and autumn.
5. Cheilocystidia lanceolate to lageniform, gradually passing into a narrow, cylindrical or tapering neck,
1.5–3.5(4.0) μm wide, not capitate; spores with distinct germ pore, 1.0–1.5 μm wide . . . . . . . .4. Ph. rugosa
5. Cheilocystidia either predominantly subcylindrical to narrowly lageniform with flexuose, obtuse to subcapitate
neck, 2.0–5.0 μm wide, or predominantly utriform to clavate; spores with small germ pore up to 1.0 μm wide.
6. Cheilocystidia subcylindrical to narrowly lageniform with obtuse, often flexuose neck, apex 2.0–5.0 μm wide
1. Ph. arrhenii
6. Cheilocystidia intermixed lageniform, utriform and clavate, the latter with apex 5.0–15.0 μm wide
2. Ph. hadrocystis

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom