Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Mathematical Explanation... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5363654 - 03/04/06 04:04 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
It is easy to dismiss math as not having any value when one does not understand what math is (or its magnificent ability to represent reality), which is necessary in order to find the value within it. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #5363699 - 03/04/06 05:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

diplo, fire: If I speak of a fixed number of apples to share, math cares shit about and conjures something out of nothing, that is reality, so use that words on yourself fireworks.
I am sorry that you can not see that mathematical flux in opposition to reality. So we have to cease discussion here.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Mathematical Explanation... [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #5363726 - 03/04/06 05:43 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
diplo, fire: If I speak of a fixed number of apples to share, math cares shit about and conjures something out of nothing, that is reality, so use that words on yourself fireworks.

On the contrary, your misuse of math produces the results you state do not reflect reality.

The fact remains that math is a language, no different than English or German, and you use math to represent reality. If you have a fixed number of apples and distribute them amongst individuals or halves of individuals, one uses math, as a language, to represent the operation you are performing.

You can't take that equation, multiply the numbers by 1000, and then accuse math of not representing reality because it says there are 8000 more apples than what you actually have.

If you start with an equation and perform more operations to it, then you have changed the situation it is representing.

If you cannot see how this is true, then I would advise you do not use math, as it will get you into a lot of trouble in the situations you engage in within reality. When the government claims you owe $8 in taxes, due to the fact that you have $80, and they demand 10% of your money as taxes, then you don't divide the amount of money you have by two and state that their math doesn't represent the reality of the matter. Later, when you are in prison for tax evasion... :lol:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5363745 - 03/04/06 06:02 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hello, is that so hard to see ? I used that example to state, that reality will not alway represent math. Of course one can find other formuas, so that math can represent reality. but reality cares shit about math.

Again: My fixed starting point are 8 apples. I want to see how I can share these apples, so I use the equation x/y=z.
It all is good and stays in reality, as long y >= 1.
It starts to leave reality if y < 1.

I want to see who is in prsion, man. It will be you who will run around asking "where are the remaining 8 apples, math says they must be here !"

I don't need a math check, but perhaps someone needs a reality check ?
But I suppose to leave hostilities and finally stop insulting me personally and find the propper interpretations :frown:

--------------------
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Edited by BlueCoyote (03/04/06 06:10 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5363764 - 03/04/06 06:47 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
Hello, is that so hard to see ? I used that example to state, that reality will not alway represent math. Of course one can find other formuas, so that math can represent reality. but reality cares shit about math.

Math is an aspect of reality, first and foremost, as much as we are.

Our reality that we experience is a representation of reality that our senses and perceptions have developed. Our representation of reality changes as reality changes. Math's representations of reality change as reality changes.

Our representations of reality that we experience as reality and our subsequent math's representations of reality are extensions of reality.

Quote:

Again: My fixed starting point are 8 apples. I want to see how I can share these apples, so I use the equation x/y=z.

Not really, as far as I can see. :lol:

Quote:

I want to see who is in prsion, man. It will be you who will run around asking "where are the remaining 8 apples, math says they must be here !"

I can't make sense of this statement. :wink:

Quote:

I don't need a math check, but perhaps someone needs a reality check ?
But I suppose to leave hostilities and finally stop insulting me personally and find the propper interpretations :frown:

You have been insulted personally? :confused: Is being questioned personally insulting?

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5363765 - 03/04/06 07:00 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not really, as far as I can see.

Look closer (hint:fixed starting point) :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #5364073 - 03/04/06 11:55 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Again: My fixed starting point

Again, you are using math incorrectly. Setting y equal to 1/2 DOES NOT represent dividing into half of a person. *** DOES NOT ***

You have three people here telling in you this. Why do you keep insisting that 2 + 2 = 5, then wonder why that doesn't seem to match reality?

Blue, c'mon, how can you not see this? If I didn't know better, I'd think you were pulling my leg.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Re: Mathematical Explanation... [Re: Diploid]
    #5364095 - 03/04/06 12:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Why do you keep insisting that 2 + 2 = 5
You know I never did that and I never intended that. I strictly follow the mathematical laws (at least within this thread, brcause it's essential here).
I farly already took the pepper out of it :wink: I really wonder, why nobody else sees this fallacity, where math crosses the borders of our reality. I see the law and the correctness of the mathematical equation, but really, it flips interpretation, or context of reality, if y wents under 1. Perhaps everybody else doesn't see that as important, or their minds try to fill in the mathematical statement with different interpretations, I don't know. I know that math, in this case, which was only a little example, leaves the real plane of the pregiven and starts to go into fiction and assumptions. Perhaps, that is a mathematical joke, I don't know :wink:

--------------------

Edited by BlueCoyote (03/04/06 12:23 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #5364116 - 03/04/06 12:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I really wonder, why nobody else sees this fallacity, where math crosses the borders of our reality.

Because there is no fallacy. There is only a mistake on your part.

it flips interpretation, or context of reality, if y wents under 1

No, it does not. You are in error. Your ego is refusing to accept this.

If you represent y as less than one, you are representing a different problem than the one we're discussing. You have to set up the equation to correctly represent the real-world or the answer will not represent the real world.

You've told me in another thread that you know very little about math, yet here you are disputing three people who've studied math and who are telling you that you've made a mistake. What's up with that?

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Edited by Diploid (03/04/06 12:25 PM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5364148 - 03/04/06 12:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

please recite me correctly. I said, I know little about math if it wents into quantum space or goes near light-speed phenomenas. I studied two semesters of math, too and did my 'A-level' (entrance test for univerity) for example in maths and biology. I love analysis and infinitesimal calculus, painting graphes and speculating about them seeing only the pure formula.
The equation correctly says how many apples I will get out or need, if I want to share something. Even with y<1 it is correct in a mathematical way, as it say, that one person has 16 apples, if half one person has 8. BUT in real life, this is purely an assumtion. It is not stated that the whole man, or whatever it is what gets whole, really will get the correct amount of the parts. That is the difference, which is stated in the correct laws of math, which won't nescessarily represent reality if you loose regards of reality and orientate too much on the mathematical laws. That is only an example.
Perhaps, that's more of a mind game, but that is why it fits so good into philosophy :wink:

--------------------

Edited by BlueCoyote (03/04/06 12:39 PM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #5364170 - 03/04/06 12:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I said, I know little about math if it wents into quantum space or goes near light-speed phenomenas.

Actually, Blue, not to beat up on you, but as I recall, you were having trouble with the concept of a square root. This is 5th grade where I went to school.

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5364182 - 03/04/06 12:42 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I dont think that I have troubles with square roots, we were discussing light speed and black holes at this time. You must confuse there something, because I also learned calculating with complex numbers, which, as you surely know, calculate with roots out of negatives.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#5364214 - 03/04/06 12:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hey a long math thread cool.  This peaks my interest, as I am studying math all weekend for my midterm on tue.
Im surprised this hasnt surfaced yet (maybe it has)

.9999... = 1 

Thats one that math noobs never accept (neither did I when I was a math noob).  Its a classic for internet forum arguments.

:cuss:

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #5364224 - 03/04/06 01:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Alright Blue, I give up.

Meanwhile, I'll think of you every time I fly an airplane, drive over a bridge, or use a computer designed with math which doesn't correctly represent the real world.  :smirk:

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleDieCommie

#5364235 - 03/04/06 01:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Once some idiot at my job told me there was a great dissconnect between multiplication and addition.  This sparked my interest, so I asked him and he proceded to tell me the missing dollar story :lol:  I never could convince him there was no missing dollar.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5364252 - 03/04/06 01:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

diplo, hehe, yes, hope that the airplane won't come into a situation, which is not pre-programmed in its avionics, and the computer will use linear mathematics to manage the problem :lol:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

#5371052 - 03/06/06 04:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

cunundrum: If you have 8 apples and ask math how many people you will need, that the apples won't satisfy them ?
It's answer is: Less than one !

:heart:

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#5374665 - 03/07/06 05:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I cant believe you are still bringing this up. I basically view you as the mental equivalent of a child.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Mathematical Explanation... [Re: TheCow]
    #5374669 - 03/07/06 05:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:nono:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Re: Mathematical Explanation... [Re: TheCow]
    #5374908 - 03/07/06 06:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Still not gotten it ?!
:lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder