Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) * 57
    #18381574 - 06/07/13 03:19 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Introduction

Why another PF-style tek? The shroomery forums are replete with information on how to grow with BRF cakes. It is still hard, however, to find all the most valuable information for the absolute beginner in one place. It took me months of reading through the forums, culling the reliable and latest word on every small matter, as well as over two years of growing experience before I finally settled on a procedure that is efficient, easy to learn, and low-maintenance in the long run. This is the document that I wish I had access to when I got started.

Another issue is that beginners are often bewildered because they are not familiar with the whole growing cycle, so they don’t know how to situate the teks that they find in the larger context (what to do before and after the steps described in these teks). Therefore, I’ve decided to write a tek for the whole cycle, and in greater detail than is customary. I’ve left out spore syringe preparation, because I had nothing to contribute on this matter, and it’s completely covered in RR’s videos, which I strongly encourage beginners to purchase. At $9 for for 16 videos covering many aspects of mushroom growing, including pretty advanced stuff (that is not even mentioned in this tek), it is a real bargain.

An important caveat is that this guide makes no claim to being the best growing method. It is only meant to be an updated (as  of 2013) PF-style tek, that is, a tek for growing on BRF (brown rice flour) cakes in a FC (fruiting chamber). Many advanced growers think that this method is inferior to “bulk” methods (although this is debated, and some shroomery mavens still claim that BRF cakes hold their own against bulk methods). Similarly, the LC (liquid culture) preparation method described here (the simple honey-water tek with a minor tweak) is considered inferior by many, because it is somewhat contamination-prone. That is true, but it is arguably the simplest method for beginners, which requires no prior experience (compared to working with agar, which is the more professional way of doing things). Working with LC is a crap-shoot, but you can inoculate 5 large jars at a time, after which you will typically end up with at least 1-2 goods ones – and that’s a lot of LC.

Using this kind of PF-tek-based growing method, you can easily produce roughly 200 grams (cracker dry) of magic mushrooms per month, using only one FC. With double the number of jars and 2 FC's that's 400g, and so on. People usually trip on 2-5g of Psilocybe cubensis, so that should give an idea of what ridiculous quantities we are talking about. People who are interested in growing more per month usually move on to advanced bulk methods, which are not discussed here at all (see RR's videos as well as many teks on these forums).

Abbreviations:
LC = liquid culture
PC = pressure cooker
BRF = brown rice flour
FC = fruiting chamber (terrarium)
RR = Rogerrabbit (creator of http://www.mushroomvideos.com and veteran shroomery.org mod, whose comments on the board are the source of many of the small tips in this tek.)
verm = vermiculite

Table of Contents

1      Acquiring/producing a spore syringe
  2      Preparing Liquid Culture
  3      Growing mushrooms on BRF cakes
    3.1  Preparing and sterilizing the BRF jars
    3.2  Inoculating
    3.3  Growing
  4      Drying and storing
  5      Appendix
    5.1  Preparing the fruiting chamber
    5.2  Lighting the FC
    5.3  Jar alternatives
    5.4  Notes on consuming

Below is a strip demonstrating the entire growing cycle according to this tek.

1. Acquiring/producing a spore syringe

To inoculate the spawning substrate (step 3.2), which in our case will be BRF jars, you need either a spore syringe (a syringe containing spores suspended in water) or LC (live mycelium in water). Inoculating with a spore syringe works, but it is not a very efficient use of spores, and is more contamination-prone. LC is already “alive-and-kicking”, so it is less likely to be thwarted by contaminants.

If this is your first grow, you can either
(1) obtain a spore print and make a spore syringe out of it, or
(2) obtain a prepared spore-syringe.

The latter is the easiest option for beginners. If you don’t know a grower who can provide you with a spore syringe, see the sponsor section of shroomery.org for a list of vendors. You probably want to start with spores of psilocybe cubensis. As per which variety, or “strain” to buy (this widespread use of the word “strain” is probably incorrect), a popular choice is B+. It is important to note that as far as psychotropic effect is concerned, “a cube is a cube” – whether you buy Equador, B+, Golden Teacher, or whatever – it doesn’t matter. They just look different, and some are said to be easier to grow than others – see RR’s reply here.

If you choose to prepare a spore syringe from a print, a great way to learn is to watch RR’s video on sporeprinting and syringe making. There are also many guides on the forums.

2. Preparing Liquid Culture (with honey water)

Now that you have a spore syringe, there are various methods of liquid culture preparation. The easiest way for beginners, in my opinion, is simple honey-water LC (there are alternatives to honey – see here). This method is considered inferior by some advanced growers on shroomery.org compared to, say, agar methods, because it’s hit-or-miss (some jars will develop contamination) and because it is less efficient if you are colonating many jars. It is, however, among the easiest methods for inoculating jars, and in my opinion the best for people who are growing relatively small amounts (less than 1kg/month is "small amounts"), who need to minimize the time spent on growing mushrooms in general, while not compromising quality. To get around the contamination issue with LC, make 4-5 jars each time, and you’ll typically end up with at least 2 good ones.

Things needed:
  • A few large jars (0.5 liters at least) with a good seal.
  • (optional) a few 14-16 gauge syringe needles.
  • Spore syringe with a 14-16 gauge needle (This refers to the needle’s diameter and that’s pretty thick! Thin needles will cause trouble with the viscous liquid culture you will be dealing with). Rogerrabbit (in 2011) has recommended 14 gauge. Many vendors sell liquid spore syringes with 16 gauge needles and those work very well. These syringes can be purchased from spore suppliers, or created from spore prints (see a spore syringe tek, or watch Rogerrabbit’s excellent video on how to make spore syringes from prints). 14 gauge needles have a 2.1mm outer diameter (thickness).
  • Silicone that can endure temperatures up to 300c (“gasket maker” silicone)
  • A pressure cooker (hereafter “PC”)
  • Liquid honey, preferably light-colored and runny (not too viscous to measure  out 4cc easily). Some people prefer organic, but  regular also works fine.
  • A few glass marbles (per jar) for stirring. Some advanced growers use a magnetic stirrer instead.
  • Measuring spoons and cups (you need to measure liquids in ranges circa 4cc, 100cc)
  • Ethyl-alcohol lamp for flame sterilization of needles.

Preparing the jar.
Punch a hole in the center of the jar’s lid big enough for your needle to easily pass through. You can do this with a thick nail (about 2mm thick) and hammer. I prefer punching downwards (the lid being oriented as when on a jar.) The idea being that you don’t want the punch-spikes to go upward and interfere with the needle insertion later on.

Cover the hole and its surrounding area with a layer of silicone. The area of the hole itself requires more silicone (on both sides). Otherwise, if you apply too thin a layer, it may give in to pressure in the PC and break. It’s OK to have a blob as thick as 2mm around the hole. The diameter of the silicone layer can be even 3-4cm (for the same reason - you don’t want everything to get sucked through the hole due to pressure differences in the PC). Wait 24 hours for the silicone to harden (or don't, and rely on the high PC temperatures to harden it). It will be somewhat gooey even after drying up. Below is an image of the result on a 1-pint jar. (Note that the jar used in this image is not the best kind. You can get a better seal with the 2-piece jar lids as found on the standard US-style mason jars.)

Preparing and sterilizing the honey water.
Boil clean water, pour it into the jars, leaving about 5 cm of air on top, and mix exactly 4% honey into the water. So, for every 96cc water you need 4cc honey. Mix the honey well in the jar.

Make sure that the rim (where the lid will touch the jar) is completely dry (you don’t want any liquids mediating between the jar contents and the filthy outside world. You can clean the rim with alcohol, and the rubber lining of the jar lid as well, to remove oily liquids if there are any. Twist the jar lid shut all the way and then go by one of the following two options:
(A) loosen the lid ¼ of a turn. The idea is to let some air pass when sterilizing, so as to prevent the jar from breaking from pressure differences in the PC). Or:

(B) Keep the lids completely shut, and stick a syringe needle (without the syringe of course) in the hole (through the silicone). Put some cotton on top (in the needle base opening). This will allow air to pass in and out (through the tiny hole of the needle), but germs will hardly pass through because of the cotton. (See images below)

Load the jars into your pressure cooker. Some people cover the jar lid with aluminum foil to keep moisture away from the lid. This can help if you have a needle sticking out with cotton in its cap. You want to prevent water from dripping on that cotton. I admit, however, that from my meager "personal statistics" I don't see a reduction in contamination when covering jars in the PC - but I do it anyway. Lately, I have been replacing aluminum foil with regular paper for covering. It's inconvenient because it can't be shaped like foil, but I don't like the metallic smell that I get in my house after PC'ing with aluminum foil. I am a recovering hypochondriac, so take this with a grain of salt, but aluminum - in some of its forms - can be toxic, and so it might be a slight risk to cook or PC with it. Most growers reading this will probably think I am being ridiculous.

Pressure cook the honey-water jars for 15 minutes at 15 PSI.  Sterilizing for longer than that can induce caramelization of the sugars in the honey, which will make the solution less transparent and it will be harder to spot contamination later on. If you don’t know how to sterilize jars in a PC, see BRF sterilization section 3.1 below. After turning the PC off, wait 24 hours for the jars to cool (don’t open the PC!).

Now, if you chose (A) above, screw the not-tightly-screwed caps tightly all the way. Also, you now need to balance the pressure in the jar so that it is equal to room pressure (otherwise it will suck in your spores from the spore syringe when you try to inoculate the honey water later). You do this by...sticking a syringe needle in there! But this time you can do it with needle connected to a syringe, and stuff the syringe using cotton with alcohol, to act as a filter. And of course, flame-sterilize the needle (until red hot) before sticking it in there. This pressure-balancing step is of course unnecessary if you chose method (B) above.

Now you have a tightly-closed jar with sterilized honey-water in it and a self-healing silicone injection port on top.

Inoculating the sterilized honey-water with spores.
Time to inject spores. 1cc is enough per jar. Of course, flame sterilize the spore-syringe needle (until red hot) before sticking into the jar. If you opted for (B) above, you need to first take the "air-pressure-needle" out. The needle doesn’t have to be submerged in the honey-water when injecting. Just let the spores drop in there, and mix the jar later with the help of those marbles. Some people report success with as little as ¼ cc. If your silicone port does not self-heal properly, have a dab of silicone ready in your other hand when the needle is pulled out, in order to shut off the hole before filthy air gets in.

You now have some spores swimming in sterilized honey water. Place the jars in a dark place...or a normally lit room, depending on who you ask - there is no consensus about lighting for LC. Just don't put it in direct sunlight. People usually recommended room temperature (21-26c is fine).

Waiting for the mycelium to develop.
After 1-2 weeks you will have fluffy off-white stuff in the jar (as in the image below). Otherwise, if it is oddly colored or like powdery disintegrated stuff, then it is contaminated and can be discarded. You can keep the jar, but clean it thoroughly.

As it grows, shake the jar (or sort of rotate it around the base) so that the marbles break the mycelium up into smaller pieces (eventually, the mycelium needs to be able to pass through your syringe needle). Also, do this right before using the LC, as described below.

Even if it looks nice and fluffy as in the picture above, it can be contaminated, so it is recommended to try it on a substrate jar before counting on it: inject it into a sterilized BRF jar (as explained below), wait a week and see if the mycelium is developing properly (nice and white). Or you can risk it and start a whole batch of jars... At worst it will be a waste of some BRF, vermiculite and time.

Storing the LC.
When the LC contains enough fluffy mycelium (as in the pic above), keep the jar in your fridge. Otherwise it will go bad within a few weeks. The bottom of your fridge is coldest so probably preferable. Do not freeze it. It can last for many months in the fridge. I have had success even after a year and a half.

3. Growing mushrooms on BRF cakes

Things needed:
For making BRF jars:
  • Mason jars – 1/2 pint wide-mouth jars are the best – see jar alternatives in the appendix.
  • Vermiculite –  see below on choosing between fine/coarse verm.
  • Brown rice flour (BRF)
  • A pressure cooker. The serious growers usually prefer the All-American brand. The regular cooking ones also work well. The bigger it is, the more jars it can hold at a time, so bigger is better.
  • A 14-16 gauge syringe with LC (see the tek for making these)
  • Measuring cup (you need to measure water/verm/BRF in ranges circa 100cc)
  • Big mixing bowl
  • Ethyl-alcohol lamp for flame sterilization of needles.
  • Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol 60-70%. See here for why 70% is better than 90% and above.

For the “shotgun” fruiting chamber:
  • Perlite – you’ll need a big bag of perlite for this.
  • A big clear rectangular plastic box.
  • A drill, with an option to disable hammer action, and a 6mm bit. (We want to avoid hammer-action drilling because it can crack the plastic.) For the small modification of the shotgun terrarium described below, I recommend also getting a much smaller bit (1-2mm). I use a Dremel tool for making the smaller holes with a 1.5mm bit, and a drill to make the 6mm holes.
  • A lighting rig for the FC, including 6000-7000 kelvin “natural daylight” fluorescent bulbs and some kind of lighting rig to hold them close to the FC. See lighting in the appendix.
  • Spray bottle for misting water

3.1 Preparing and sterilizing the BRF jars

Once more, I recommend that you first watch RR’s first video (Growing Mushrooms on brown rice flour), in which BRF jars are prepared, sterilized, and birthed. It is very helpful to actually see somebody do all this stuff. In this video, RR and Roadkill do not use a pressure cooker, noting that it is possible to sterilize BRF jars with just a big pot. It is strongly recommended, however, that you do obtain a pressure cooker, because contamination is easier to avoid this way.

Preparing the jar lids
Take the flat part of the mason jar lid, and make 2-4 holes close to the edges. This can be done with a thick nail and hammer. Make sure the hole is big enough for your 14 gauge syringe needle. I find that 2 holes are enough (see image below), but if you inject LC into more holes (inoculation points) you will get faster colonization.

Preparing the pressure cooker
You need 4-5cm of water, and the jars should be elevated to water level more or less. You can elevate them using jar lids, or, since those tend to rust, you might prefer something like this: place a thin towel at the bottom (to prevent glass clunking), and on top of that put a large glass ashtray (upside down), and if it is not wide enough to be a basis for the jars, you can place a flat glass serving-plate-thingy or flat plate. That should elevate the base up by 4-5cm. The PC is now ready for the BRF jars we are about to prepare.

Mixing the spawning substrate
The spawning substrate that we are preparing, which is to occupy the jars, is 2 parts vermiculite, 1 part water, 1 part brown rice flour. For example, to make 6 jars you need about 1L (one liter = 4.2 cups) of vermiculite, 0.5L of water and 0.5L of BRF. Note that if you are using the right kind of jar (wide-mouth ½ pint mason jars) you can easily fit a dozen jars in a medium-sized pressure cooker by stacking them. 

First mix the verm with the water. As RR mentions here, fine verm is superior because it holds more volume per volume and is better as a dry filter layer (see jar preparation below), and it is certainly better for the dunk and roll (covering the cakes before fruiting - see below). On the other hand, coarser verm (medium size) may be better for the BRF substrate because it leaves larger air pockets for the mycelium to populate. I usually buy a bag of medium verm and a bag of fine verm, and use both for these different purposes (medium for substrate, and fine for dry filter layer and drunking), but I am still experimenting with different kinds of verm. Coarser verm will require a bit less water than ½ of the verm volume, so add the water in increments as you mix, until the verm reaches capacity – meaning it has reached maximum absorption, and there is no excess water at the bottom of the bowl. Push the verm with your mixing spoon, and if water oozes out freely, there is too much of it. Below is an image with verm at capacity. Only a little bit of water trickles out when the verm is compacted with the wooden spoon.

After the verm is mixed well with water, add the brown rice flour, and mix well. The result should be fluffy. It is important to add the water to the verm first, and the BRF after. Otherwise it will be sticky instead of airy and fluffy.

Filling the jars
With the spawning substrate ready, add it to a jar with a spoon, leaving 1cm of air on top. It is important not to compact the spawning substrate in the jars! The growing mycelium will displace the pockets of air between the chunks of verm – so you want more air, not more substrate. After making sure the rim of the jar is clean (wiping it is a good idea), fill the remaining 1cm of the jar with dry vermiculite. This dry verm layer acts as a filter against germs and mold. Close the jar. Some people prefer to put the flat part of the lid rubber side up, because it is easier to open later and easier to clean, but it doesn’t matter to the mushroom. Repeat this with all the jars you can fit in your pressure cooker.

It is customary to cover the top of the jars with aluminum foil, to prevent water from dripping into the holes and getting into your dry verm layer. In my experience, since foil doesn’t absorb water, when doing that I end up with drops of water on the jar lid anyway, and presumably some water finds its way into the holes, not to mention the lids will tend to rust. To prevent this (as well as the metallic smell I get  in my kitchen when PC’ing aluminum foil), I use thick paper (like from paper bags) to cover the jars. The paper absorbs water and we avoid drops on the jar lids when the sterilization is done.

Sterilizing
With the jars in the PC, lock it, and set to 15 PSI. Heat it on high until pressure is reached, then reduce heat and keep it in pressure for 1 hour. (It takes some experimenting to find out how low the heat has to be in order to maintain pressure without the PC releasing excess steam. You might want to try a no-jar-water-only run before attempting actual sterlization for the first time.) After an hour, turn the heat off. Do not open the PC – let it cool down slowly (at least 10 hours). It is a good idea to sterilize at the end of the day, and then let it cool down overnight, and inoculate in the morning.

3.2 Inoculating

When the jars have cooled down, open the PC, and take them into a room with minimal airflow (shut the windows, AC, fans, etc.).

Filling the syringe with LC
Take your LC jar out of the fridge, clean the inoculation port area (the silicone smudge) with a bit of alcohol, and shake the jar in order to break up the mycelium with the marbles. Now before we fill it with LC, the inside of the syringe needs to be clean. If you are reusing a syringe (they can be reused many times) this can be done as follows. First, clean the inside with alcohol (you can fill the syringe with alcohol and then squirt it back into your alcohol bottle a few times). Then, clean out the trace amounts of alcohol left in the syringe (we don’t want it to kill the LC) by sucking in a syringe-full of hot water that has just been boiled and pushing it out a few times. Some people even do this with water as it is boiling in a pot with the heat on, but in my experience, this is unnecessary.

Now, take your empty syringe, flame sterilize it with the alcohol lamp until the needle is red hot (not too long – if you let it stay red hot for more than a few seconds, the needle will conduct the heat up to the plastic base, which will begin to melt.) I like to hold the lamp up at an angle so that the needle is almost entirely in the flame (as in the image below). Of course you can just move the syringe back and forth over the flame to get the full length of the needle red hot (except the last cm next to the plastic base).

Now stick the needle into the LC jar, tilt the whole thing to an angle where the needle tip is submerged, and suck out LC. To inoculate 10 jars I would fill a whole 10cc syringe, but people have reported successfully using much less LC per jar (even ¼ cc per jar). Make sure that the silicone inoculation port  “heals” when you pull the needle out of the LC jar. If it doesn’t, add a tiny bit of silicone to cover up the hole. Put the LC jar back in the fridge. You now have a syringe full of LC that you can inoculate the BRF jars with. Some people use surgical gloves when doing all of this. I find this to be unnecessary if you sterilize the jars and needle properly, as outlined above.

Inoculating the BRF jars
It’s time to inoculate the jars one by one with LC. Some growers like to use a glovebox to do this. The idea is to prevent airflow which might carry germs and mold into the inoculating space. In my experience, if you PC the jars properly, and inoculate below the layer of dry verm, you will have no contamination problems, even without a glovebox. If you want to use a glovebox, a crude one can be constructed by cutting out large holes for your arms on one side of a big clear plastic box with a flat and sturdy bottom (I tried to make one with a shitty box and had jars sliding around because the bottom of the box was not completely flat).

Before every jar, wipe the needle with alcohol on a paper towel (to remove silicone or verm), and then flame-sterilize it. You don’t have to sterilize between injection ports of the same jar, but the "official recommendation" is to sterilize before each new jar. To be honest, after a few grows I started getting impatient and I now only flame-sterilize once every 10 jars or so. I do still wipe the needle clean with alcohol-on-paper-towel between jars. I have not had any contamination as a result, and it makes the inoculation process much faster. You want to inject about 0.5cc into each hole so that the LC trickles down along the edges of the jar and reaches the bottom (or almost). To do this, get the needle in at an angle so that the tip of the needle is against the side of the jar (as in the image below).

That way you can see the LC coming out against the glass, and control its flow. Another reason is that by inoculating along the sides of the jar, you ensure that mycelial growth will begin there – so you will be able to identify contamination early on. You can even inject more, say 2cc per hole, with no problems, and this will even make colonization faster, but if you are in no hurry and want to save on LC, then 1cc per jar (that is 0.5 per hole) is enough. Note that you don’t want to inject too much and create a puddle in the jar. Standing water is a contamination precipitator, and is therefore something to avoid throughout the whole mushroom growing process. Also, make sure that the needle penetrates beyond the dry verm layer. The surest way to invite mold and germs into your jar is by wetting that protective verm layer. This is also the reason for alcohol-wiping the needle - we want to avoid getting bits of wet verm into the protective layer of dry verm.

3.3 Growing

Colonization
After inoculating, place the jars on a shelf at room temperature. Per RR’s recommendation, try to keep the room below 81F = 27C. They will also colonize in a room at 30C, but with increased chances of contamination. Make sure there is nothing covering the jars’ inoculation holes – the mycelium needs fresh air exchange. It used to be believed that colonizing jars should be kept in the dark (Stamets 1983, p.198), but in fact exposure to ambient light is good for colonization (see here). If you want to stack them to save shelf space, you can cut out pieces of cardboard that will allow the jars to stand on each other without obstructing the holes.  The jars should gradually turn white with mycelium (it usually takes 2-3 weeks). I sometimes add a piece of paper towel on top of each jar to prevent germs and mold from falling into the holes. This extra protection can be removed when colonization is about half way done (that is, when the jar is about half white). The paper acts as a filter, so it cannot be heavy or thick, and it has to be loosely placed on the jar — you don't want to block the holes (your mycelium needs to breathe).

At this point you want to have your shotgun fruiting chamber ready (see FC construction section below). The image below on the left is a BRF jar a few days after inoculation with LC. On the right is fully colonized jar. When fully colonized, the contents of the jar become pretty stiff – a “BRF cake”.

If a jar develops green or black stuff (as in the image on the left below), it is contaminated and you can throw the cake out. Make sure to clean the jar thoroughly before reusing it.

Sometimes a contaminant will start developing after the mycelium has expanded significantly, in which case the mycelium may prevail. For example, the image above on the right shows mycelium growing over a pocket of (what appears to be) mold and consuming it. In these cases, you can ignore the contamination and proceed as usual.

Bacterial infection, unfortunately, can also be white and thus harder to identify. If you see something that looks like melted ice cream, it’s bacteria (see here).

Consolidation period
When the jar is completely white (bottom of the jar as well), put a date on it (a sticky note or something), and wait another week – this is the consolidation period. The idea is to let the mycelium consolidate its hold on the substrate, which allows for more vigorous fruiting later when the cake is placed in fruiting conditions (that is, in the FC – see fruiting section below). Sometimes the cakes shrink towards the end of colonization, drawing away from the sides of the jar – that is normal. However, if tiny mushrooms (pins) start developing in the jars (“premature pinning”, or “in-vitro pinning” – as in the images below), and you already have full colonization plus a few days, you can pop those cakes out of the jar and take them into the next step. If premature pinning frequently occurs earlier than that, then you are either using the wrong kind of jars, or your inoculation holes are too many (or too large). The trigger for pinning is exposure to air. As mentioned above, colonizing BRF jars require fresh air exchange, but it should be moderate (via the inoculation holes only). Only later, when we pop the cakes out and put them in the FC do we want more air exchange to induce fruiting. When using the right kind of jar and only two inoculation points, I rarely get premature pinning.

The “dunk and roll” 
After the consolidation period, take the cakes out of the jars (they should just pop out), and remove the dry verm later. The image below shows consolidated cakes after being removed from their jars. Note that only the one in the middle is of the recommended size (I didn’t have enough ½ pint wide-mouth jars at the time.)

At this point, the cakes are relatively dry, so they won’t fruit very well. To replenish the cakes, submerge them in water for 24 hours (the “dunk”), by putting them in a water-filled container (e.g. a bucket) and covering them with something (a plate can work) to hold them underwater.

After the 24 hour dunk, take the cakes out, and wash them (you don’t have to be afraid to hold them under running water in the kitchen sink – they are pretty tough by now). The next step is the “roll” – which is to apply a thin layer of vermiculite to the cakes. Some people like to do this by rolling the cakes in a plate of dry verm. I find it more effective to hold the wet cake in one hand, while slowly pouring dry verm on it from a cup in the other hand as I turn the cake around - I get more uniform coverage on the cakes and less verm is wasted. Also, I use fine verm for this - it sticks better than coarse verm. If you only bought one kind of verm for the whole process, it will work don't worry. The point of this layer of verm is to retain moisture that the mycelium can draw from. Some people even add an extra spoonful of verm on top. It is a matter of dispute whether the bottom of the cake should be covered with verm as well. I have not seen a difference in performance between bottom-covered cakes and bare-bottom cakes. Here is a before/after:

Fruiting
Now that the cakes are covered in verm, place them on the moist perlite in your shotgun FC. The temperature range recommended for fruiting of p. cubensis is 23-27C (this refers to the temperature of the room). Temperatures as low as 21C are also fine, but growth will be much slower. Growth will be extremely slow below 20C and you will have almost no growth at 17C and below. If your room is too cold and you are thinking of heating only the FC with some contraption, as opposed to heating the whole room, I can save you some time – don’t do it. If the heat source is too close to the cakes, they can get scorched, and the scorched areas can attract mold. Even direct light from a 10V compact fluorescent bulb can kill mycelium (light should be outside, and pass through the transparent, but still somewhat diffusing, plastic).

To keep the perlite relatively clean from verm, some people place the cakes on a square of aluminum foil (as in the picture on the left below). Another option is square pieces of plastic mesh, like window screen (as in the image below on the right). You can also put the cakes directly on the perlite – it’s just an issue of cleanliness.

Note that in the image on the right, some cakes are stacked (without verm in between them). This is a good way to get larger fruit (mushrooms) – the cakes’ mycelium actually binds together after a few days, and they become essentially double-sized cakes capable of producing larger mushrooms. Some people like to prevent this merger from happening, by putting a barrier of aluminum foil between the stacked cakes. I don’t see a problem with stacking them sans barrier, and the fruit are definitely bigger this way. (Surprisingly perhaps, there is evidence that smaller shrooms are more potent than larger ones – per gram of course – but growers usually prefer larger fruit because they are less of a hassle when it comes to harvesting, cleaning, etc.)

Make sure you have plenty of light on the FC (see the lighting section in the appendix). The best lighting cycle is 12 hours on, 12 off. RR recommends lighting the FC from an angle. If you can’t arrange that, lighting from above also works fine (provided the FC lid is transparent). RR also found that exposing the cakes to a few minutes of direct sunlight every day further encourages fruiting (see here and here).

For the mushrooms to grow well, you need at least 95% humidity in the FC. To retain humidity, mist the cakes with a spray bottle about 4 times a day. In the first few days, mist indirectly, so that the water falls gently on them and the surrounding perlite – you don’t want to get the verm off the cakes. Within a few days, the verm coating will stick to the cakes. It is recommended to also fan the cakes a bit every time you mist, to displace CO2 with fresh air (you can use the FC lid to do this). Some people keep a hygrometer in the FC and obsess about getting exact humidity, but it’s not like you can do anything about it except construct the FC properly and mist 4 times a day – so adding a hygrometer to this setup will do nothing more than satisfy your curiosity. A good use for a hygrometer is making sure that your room humidity is at least 50%, to ensure the proper circulation that the shotgun FC is supposed to induce. (Note that hygrometers require regular calibration.) If your room is too dry, you should consider getting a humidifier (more on that and how to calibrate here). You don’t want to mist too much – the cakes should look “sweaty” with water at all times, but don’t swamp the verm on top of the cakes with water – standing water is bad. And if a lot of excess water drips from the bottom holes of the FC, you are misting too much. I always keep a small plastic container below the FC to collect excess water.

You should expect mushrooms to appear after a week or two. When a mushroom’s partial veil (the thin membrane below the cap) breaks, you can harvest it by twisting it gently at the base. Some people prefer to harvest right before the partial veil breaks so as to avoid spores falling on the surrounding perlite. When all the larger mushrooms on a cake have been harvested, do not expect the tiny ones to become much bigger – mushroom growth on a cake occurs in short bursts (flushes), so when the big ones are ready, you can harvest the smaller fruit as well, and take the cake out of the FC. The image on the left below shows an average flush of psilocybe cubensis, and the one in the middle is a very good flush (the cake is barely seen behind its fruit). Note that the partial veil has broken on the top shrooms, but not the ones at the bottom. It’s reasonable in such cases to harvest only the ones on top and let the others grow a bit more. The image on the right shows the effect of using larger cakes (or stacking cakes). As explained here, jars bigger than ½ pint wide-mouths are not ideal, but they can work, and the larger cakes typically yield larger mushrooms. In this image on the right, the cake was made with a tall glass (13.5cm tall to be exact).

Subsequent flushes
When the cake has been fully harvested, you can prepare it for a second flush. Keep it dry for 24 hours (you can place it outside of the FC), and then dunk it again. This drying period reduces susceptibility to mold in the subsequent flush, and is meant to imitate a natural setting to some degree. Some people always dunk for 24 hours. Though this is good before the first flush, I prefer less dunking time for subsequent flushes – even only 12 hours – because otherwise the cakes may get too soggy, inviting mold. You usually don’t have to roll (cover with verm) the cake again, because the previously applied verm layer will have become embedded in the mycelium. People have reported getting even 4 flushes out of each cake. I usually get only meager output after the second flush. After its run of flushes, the cake becomes too mushy and tired-looking, and will not yield big mushrooms anymore. You can then discard the cake or use it as pretty good garden compost.

Fruiting problems and their causes
If you see a lot of white fuzzy stuff on the stems, your mushrooms lack fresh air or light (so fan more, and make sure you have at least one fluorescent bulb next to each FC). If you are consistently getting small mushrooms, you either haven’t consolidated long enough, or there is a lack of moisture or light. If you see mushrooms with a bluish streak along the edge of the cap, or a black cap – these are aborts (mushrooms whose growth has stalled and will not grow further). You might as well pick them when you spot them, because they are going to rot. If all of the shrooms on a cake are aborts, then either that cake is spent (had its run of flushes), or it is suffering from too much moisture or contamination. The  image on the left below shows such a bluish streak along the edge of a cap, indicating an abort. The image on the right shows why – the cake (already in its second flush) is losing a battle against mold. The mushrooms near the mold growth are aborting (blue on caps), while the ones on top seem yet unaffected. A cake like that should be removed from the FC immediately before it contaminates the others.

The next generation
When you have especially good performance on a cake, you might consider creating a spore print from one of the nicer mushrooms. Spore prints last for years when kept in a dark dry place. When you run out of LC, you can use the prints to make a spore syringe, and use that to make more LC. RR’s last video explains how to take prints and prepare a spore syringe.

4. Drying and storing

After harvesting the mushrooms, some people like to clean them (some verm and perlite may stick to them) and some go so far as to cut off the base of the stem, where a bit of verm may be embedded. If you don’t intend to eat the mushrooms fresh (see 'Notes on Consuming' section below for amounts), you need to dry them or they will rot pretty fast. Put them on a drying rack and point a fan at them for a few days (a day might suffice if the air is dry), until they are almost cracker-dry, that is, until they barely bend without breaking. The image below shows a shabby drying rack using a plastic mesh on a metal grill.

Some people leave it at that. If you want to retain the mushroom’s potency for a long time (more than a few months), you should dry them in a desiccant drying-chamber after the fan drying (explained below). It is not a good idea to put them directly in a drying-chamber without fanning, because your desiccant will be quickly spent, not to mention it will take much longer to dry. With fanning+desiccant drying you can you get them really cracker-dry, reducing their exposure to oxygen to a minimum (psilocybin is sensitive to light and oxygen). When dry, you can transfer them to an airtight container, and keep it in a cool dark place. It is not particularly helpful to place the container in the fridge or a freezer. Some people use a food dehydrator after fanning (or instead). Unless you are in a hurry to dry within a day, that is unnecessary.

Drying with desiccant
A cheap and effective desiccant is calcium chloride, which can be purchased at paint or hardware stores. Read about alternatives here. To build a chamber, take an airtight plastic container (those side-clipping airtight food containers are ideal), and secure two mesh surfaces (preferably plastic) in the container – one to hold the desiccant above ground (so that the water drips on the container floor) and one above that to hold the mushrooms. Make sure that mushrooms do not come into contact with calcium chloride! It will easily osmose its way into your shrooms via the slightest contact (it can even seep through a towel). Or if you are lazy like me, just put a towel below the desiccant to collect the water, like in the picture below. (Note, however, that the mushrooms are safely separated from the desiccant by a firm plastic barrier with holes, with a mesh on top of it.)

If you don’t want to bother with connecting meshes to the inside of containers, here is a simple alternative: take a short glass jar, perforate the lid (with hammer and nail), put some calcium chloride in this jar with a paper towel layer (to collect water). Then place this jar (or a few of them) in an airtight container. You can then throw the mushrooms in there. Below is a small perforated-lid jar with calcium chloride, and a possible airtight container for it.  I only use this method for long-term storage after the mushrooms have been rendered cracker-dry in a proper desiccant chamber (with a mesh and all that).

5. Appendix

5.1 Preparing the fruiting chamber

Many designs of fruiting chambers (terrariums) have been attempted over the years, including fancy ones with fans and automated hydration, but the best one happens to be the simplest to make – the “shotgun FC” (or SGFC). To build it, take a big clear plastic storage box and drill 6mm (1/4”) holes about 5cm (2 inches) apart on all 6 sides of the box (hence the name). RR explains how it works here.

I have found it easier to work with a slightly modified shotgun FC design: drill much smaller 2-3mm holes – which should therefore be closer, about 2cm apart – on the bottom of the box and along the lower 12cm of the sides. (If the box has grooves along the edges, the water will collect there, so you want to drill holes along those grooves as well.) The rest of the box should have the bigger 6mm holes spaced 5cm apart. The reason for drilling smaller holes on the bottom 12cm is that the box will contain 7-12cm of wet perlite, and the bigger 6mm holes can allow perlite to fall through, making a mess on the table (or whatever elevated surface you are using) below the FC. Also, if you want to reuse the perlite, which is possible, you can use the box itself as a big colander to clean it. After a few grows the perlite may get musty and you should either replace it or clean it. I would not recommend wasting your time on this unless perlite is really expensive in your area (in the US it's dirt cheap, so don't bother). To clean it, add some bleach into the perlite, mix well to kill everything in there, and wash the bleach out with a garden hose – it sticks fast to the perlite, so wash thoroughly. Cleaning in the FC would not be feasible with the bigger 6mm holes on the bottom, because the washing would push most of the perlite out through the holes. In any case, washing reduces the volume of perlite (by as much as 50%) and creates some perlite-sludge, so you will need to add some new perlite anyway. The image below shows this distribution of holes. The lid is not shown – it should have 6mm holes as well.

Note that the box in the image above is not ideal because the plastic is a bit opaque. Try to obtain a box that is more transparent than that. If you intend to light from the top, of course, the lid should be clear as well. That is not necessary, however. You can light from the side and rely on a white lid to reflect the light downwards – see RR’s comment here. One of my FCs had a pretty opaque lid, so I made 2 rectangular holes on top and replaced that area with glass (from a cheap picture frame), using contact cement to hold it in place. I made up for the lack of holes in the glass by adding more holes in the plastic around it. If you do resort to this usually unnecessary contraption, then don't use more than one small compact-fluorescent bulb, and keep it at least 10cm from the FC lid. You don't want the cakes to suffer from overheating as a result of thermal radiation. If the cakes overheat they will rot. You will either see mold developing on the baked-to-death tops of the cakes themselves, or mushroom caps aborting and rotting as they pop out.

The last step of the FC preparation is to add 7-12cm of wet perlite to the box. You should do this only when your cakes are ready for fruiting – in other words after the dunk and roll step. Use a colander to wash the perlite, wait until the excess water drips out, and pour it into the FC. I begin by first laying out 1-2cm of dry perlite and then throwing the wet perlite on top of it. This is only to prevent dripping from the bottom of the FC - eventually all the perlite will be wet. Repeat until the FC contains the required amount - for a big FC I would use 12cm of perlite, and less for a smaller one. Flatten the perlite layer so that you have a convenient surface for your cakes. It has been claimed that cakes perform better when placed close together (about 5cm apart). Choose the size of the box according to how many cakes you intend to fruit at once. Each flush on a single ½ pint (cubensis) cake yields roughly 2-7 dry grams.

When the FC is ready, place it on a table or something like that (the floor is not a good idea – most contaminants settle close to the floor), and elevate the FC (with bricks or a similar shaped object) above that surface, so that most of the holes at the bottom are not blocked). Air has to be able to circulate under the FC.

5.2 Lighting the FC
A shotgun FC requires the light of at least one compact fluorescent bulb in the “natural sunlight” 5,000 Kelvin to 7,000 Kelvin range. A 15W, or “60W-equivalent” will do. You don’t have to worry about having too much light – no amount is too much (RR’s reply here). You will need to construct some kind of safe fixture to hold the bulbs next to the FC (the bulb should not touch the plastic or be inside the FC – putting them inside will scorch the cakes, not to mention it is unsafe). RR  recommends lighting the FC from an angle. (If you can’t arrange that, lighting from above also works.) Recall that it is much better to place the FC on an elevated surface like a table, and it should be further elevated with something like bricks. So your lighting rig should accommodate for that. The image below shows a slipshod top-light rig. Note that the styrofoam has large openings on the sides, which are crucial – a complete enclosure of the bulbs would trap the heat emanating from them, creating a fire hazard. However, using styrofoam is in itself a fire hazard, so try to construct a fixture with non-flammable materials.

5.3 Jar alternatives
The reason US-style wide-mouth ½ pint jars (Bell, Kerr, and the like) are better than tall ones is that the verm at the bottom becomes too compacted in tall jars and so the mycelium doesn’t receive enough oxygen. Also, these wide-mouth jars are tapered so the cake pops out easily (if they are not tapered, it can be impossible to remove the cake without breaking the jar). The narrow (regular-mouth) ½ pint US-style mason jars will work, but not as well. Also, they are harder to clean and their cakes are harder to stack in the FC. If you live outside the US, wide-mouth jars can be hard to come by. As an alternative, you can use regular tapered glasses of roughly that size, and cover them with aluminum foil on top instead of a lid (you don’t have to make holes in the foil before you sterilize them – the syringe needle will take care of that when you inoculate). Below are workable options. From the left: the ideal ½ pint wide-mouth jar, a regular glass with aluminum foil, a tall glass, and a ½ pint regular-mouth jar on the right.

5.4 Notes on consuming
First, a word from the Irish bard:

Quote:

“Christ said “The lukewarm I vomit from my mouth”; and that’s how I feel about people who chip away at psychedelics and take pissant amounts, and go to clubs, and go to class, and go to the mall, and – you know – this is not the program, folks. I mean, it’s somebody’s program; but I’m interested in life-changing experiences.”  —Terence McKenna

This is not to suggest that you should always take heroic doses of shrooms. It is best to start with small amounts. The point is that psilocybin is not a recreational substance. And regardless, going to a club or a party as an unexperienced tripper is not a good idea – any noisy or crowded setting is a potential bad trip catalyst. And if you’ve been taking note of what the mushroom can reveal, you probably won’t feel the need to party on mushrooms even as an experienced tripper.

Mushrooms are about 90% water so 2 cracker-dry grams are more-or-less equivalent to 20 grams fresh. In dry grams of psilocybe cubensis, 1g will typically induce a light buzz, and 2g is a moderate trip (though I’ve seen people get hit pretty hard by 2). 5g is the “heroic” dose recommended by McKenna, and will guarantee an intense trip for almost anybody. I suggest that you start with 1-2 grams, and work your way up to what you feel is best for you, with at least a week’s interim between trips.

There are many ways of consuming mushrooms. You can just munch them as-is. A common prescription is to do so slowly, as done in native cultures – that is, eat them over a period of 20 minutes or so. When eating them straight, however, nausea is a common problem. Some people are not susceptible at all, and some get nauseated every time without fail. Marijuana is a well-known alleviator of nausea, but you should take into account that, for most people, it intensifies the effect of psilocybin. Another common way to ingest mushrooms is the so-called “lemon tek”.  Blend the mushrooms in fresh lemon juice (or any other citrus fruit - I prefer orange juice) until they are completely disintegrated (a few seconds in most blenders), and wait 20 minutes. Then mix to homogenize and drink. This method significantly reduces nausea for many people, but some have claimed that it makes the nausea worse for them. It is a matter of dispute whether the trip is stronger when the mushrooms are consumed in citrus juice. It is certainly true that you come up faster (in about 15 minutes as opposed to an hour when eating them as-is). Another method which helps some people avoid nausea is making mushroom tea. A more exotic option is to make an alcoholic extract.

Edited by clubbase (04/08/16 09:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecaveman5055
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: clubbase]
    #18381610 - 06/07/13 03:52 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Wow!!!!!! Very nice right up!!!!!!

Hats off to you. Best first post I have ever seen lol.

Welcome.

Edited by caveman5055 (06/07/13 03:55 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: caveman5055]
    #18381647 - 06/07/13 04:14 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

great right up bro. rated +5

but you lost me at LC.

:frown:

agar is 10x better and 10x easier to use

Edited by twistedty (06/07/13 04:16 AM)

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: twistedty]
    #18381667 - 06/07/13 04:30 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Agar is better indeed, but it's considered more advanced, and I think for good reason. Most people would be more comfortable starting with the "primitive" methods and then moving up to agar when they've had a few grows under their belt.

Also in some places (like here in the 2.5nd world) agar is damn expensive (unless you buy huge quantities), and so it would deter a beginner who is not even sure about committing to this hobby.

Offlinethe_jerk
return Noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: clubbase]
    #18382650 - 06/07/13 11:21 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I think the reason we're recommending Agar even though some consider it "advanced" is that you can identify rather easily weather your culture is contaminated or not....before innoc-ing jars and wasting supplies and time. Seriously though, Agar is no more work than a LC especially if you use the no-pour tek's.

Best first post I've ever seen though. Well-done!

Edited by the_jerk (06/07/13 11:21 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: the_jerk]
    #18384994 - 06/07/13 08:14 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

agar is way easier than LCs hands down.

still very nice post

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: twistedty]
    #18397719 - 06/10/13 02:52 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I was thinking of poor souls outside the US (like me).  I had to ride a camel for days to get to the nearest lab equipment supplier who had agar. And bandits broke almost all of my petri dishes on the way back. In the end the procedure was fun but certainly not easier than making LC. But point taken.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #18397740 - 06/10/13 02:57 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

anytime your aiming a tek at noobs just keep it simple as possible so a fourth grader could read it. great write up though

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineSolaced
Naut
Male

Loc: Norway Flag
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: cronicr]
    #18397903 - 06/10/13 03:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet. Bookmarked

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Solaced]
    #18409383 - 06/12/13 04:16 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Good point about language. And I guess I should have at least mentioned agar methods with links. Challenging newcomers to be serious from the outset can't be a bad thing.

OfflineDeathcore
Stranger

#18409430 - 06/12/13 04:28 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

pin this mods!

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Deathcore]
    #18409446 - 06/12/13 04:30 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Deathcore said:
pin this mods!

:lmafo:
if you like it that much post it in the your favorites sticky

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinerockylampoon
Animal
 User Gallery

Loc: Land of the Midnight Sun
    #18409451 - 06/12/13 04:31 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Sweet thread!

--------------------
I'll make sense when I run out of lemons. Until then I'll make lemonade.

OfflineDeathcore
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: cronicr]
    #18409494 - 06/12/13 04:42 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Quote:

Deathcore said:
pin this mods!

:lmafo:
if you like it that much post it in the your favorites sticky

I want the WHOLE forum to know its pinned!!!11one!1

Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Deathcore]
    #18409676 - 06/12/13 05:31 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Nice job on the Tek!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) (moved) [Re: clubbase]
    #18409838 - 06/12/13 06:04 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

This thread was moved from Mushroom Cultivation.

Reason:
Here ya go.  Moved to getting started.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19206594 - 11/29/13 09:41 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

This thread is amazingly useful! I had to post to save in my thread list. I will be referring back to this later! I like how everything is finely-tuned and update. Very nice.

Thank you for the great info
~ LC

Offlineshamanboyz69
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: i dont know whats real
    #20497075 - 08/30/14 11:11 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

thank you sir keep up the good work!

--------------------

chicken? CHE CAN SUCK THIS

Edited by shamanboyz69 (08/30/14 11:12 AM)

Offlineketsa
Lost Soul

Loc: Central Europe.
    #20519359 - 09/04/14 01:48 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

clubbase said:
If your room is too cold and you are thinking of heating only the FC with some contraption, as opposed to heating the whole room, I can save you some time – don’t do it.

Why ? maybe add a little explanation.
The FC being its own microclimate I do not see the problem.

Great post btw, I will study it in detail in a few days when I finally receive my spores.
Thanks.

Edited by ketsa (09/04/14 01:50 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: ketsa]
    #20520562 - 09/04/14 06:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Always the room not the chamber, much easier to control and avoid messes like temp swings/drying sub's ect

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinePsychics
Searching

#20525462 - 09/05/14 07:08 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Very informative post just ordered my first spores and this was a good refresher on what to do. Been lurking for about a 2 years now finally bought my first spores from sporeworks, Costa Rica strain anyone have good experiences with this vendor? Also I would think that people would have more success though with lc in sterile conditions is it usually 2:5 success rate? That seems kinda low.

Offlinemasterkorin
Back from retirement
Male

#20544552 - 09/09/14 06:53 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Gonna need this in the future

--------------------
"It was true that I didn’t have much ambition, but there ought to be a place for people without ambition, I mean a better place than the one usually reserved. How in the hell could a man enjoy being awakened at 6:30 a.m. by an alarm clock, leap out of bed, dress, force-feed, shit, piss, brush teeth and hair, and fight traffic to get to a place where essentially you made lots of money for somebody else and were asked to be grateful for the opportunity to do so?" -Bukowski

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: masterkorin]
    #20544605 - 09/09/14 07:07 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Agar to lc works fine its dumping spores in honey water thats a crapshoot

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #20643184 - 10/01/14 03:35 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I just wanted to say that this was an excellent tek. A lot of the information is stuff I've read around the web in many others, but you provide reasoning and explanation for each step. Your pictures are also awesome. Thank you very much!

I have a few questions regarding drying and storing, many about your mesh, rectangular tupperware setup. I've color coded what I believe are the components within to easily demonstrate my questions.

1. Yellow appears to be a lid of some sort acting as a barrier between the mesh and the silica tub. Is this solid or is it just the outer rim supporting the mesh wire? It seems if it was a solid lid, it would block the silica from doing it's job?

2. Orange appears to be a smaller tupperware tub filled with silica (demonstrated impeccably by the white chunks of crap). Again, does this have a lid on it or is it wide open? It's hard to tell from the picture.

3. Since Green is clearly the towel, I will assume the entire silica tub is porous and contains holes on the bottom for the moisture to soak through?

4. If yes to #3, what's the purpose of the towel? It's easier to replace later with a fresh one? Or it suspends the silica tub off the air enough and is easy to toss in?

And a few questions regarding the longterm storage options with the smal calcium chloride and mason jars.

5. Can the small jar be filled with silica gel as well?

6. Why is this method preferable to longterm storage and not your tupperware idea? Is calcium chloride stronger/more durable and a glass mason jar is more airtight than tupperware?

7. Would you need to position the calcium sulphate jar in a specific position within the mason jar? For instance, suspended in air and not touching the mushrooms? Or only upright so collected moisture doesn't spill?

8. Would we need to remove/replace the calcium sulphate or paper towel after a while?

And one random one:

9. Do you use a fan on your newly picked ones before going into the silica/calcium sulphate versions or just sit them outside on those grates?

Sorry for the abundance of questions, but this part of it is very important and your examples seem to be the best. I just want to get them right!

Thanks a LOT!

OfflineSeverance13
Culture Collector
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: stareatclouds]
    #20651886 - 10/03/14 01:57 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

I must say, as a well-read newbie, this is an invaluable guide. Thank you for taking what looks to be quite a bit of time to inform. As a practitioner of Kopimism, I thank you for sharing you knowledge. Ave Kopimi, good sir.

Offlinethisisnothere22
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Severance13]
    #20667813 - 10/06/14 06:05 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hi all,

I am new here so just wondering, for the SGFC, is this thing ok to use?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Deep-Ultra-Basket-16288006-Pack-of-6/10401032

It's got a bunch of holes in it, (except on the bottom, which is an easy fix), and I *think* it's sort of permeable to light?

Also, is dunking/rolling more or less a must for the PF Tek? I don't recall it in the original guide.

Lastly, do the holes in the jar need to be covered during colonization or left open to air?

Sorry if these are noob questions, I am a noob after all. :P

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: thisisnothere22]
    #20667923 - 10/06/14 06:37 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

hi! welcome to shroomery! adni would go for the simple sterlite 66 qt with a lid, your gonna need to drill holes anyway they may as well be done right, you should dunk and roll your cakes for best performance

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineFreemind777
Psychonaut
    #20683282 - 10/10/14 09:12 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

FYI if you using this TEK for edible legal fungi in the US,
1 cup of water and 2 teaspoons(tsp) of honey will make a 250ml
solution with 4 percent honey.

OfflineFreemind777
Psychonaut
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Freemind777]
    #20683297 - 10/10/14 09:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

thisisnothere22, loosely put the tinfoil back on the jars after you inject them.
This will keep dust from landing on the open holes. The dry layer of verm is the main barrier to contaminants. You can also cover the jar top with a paper towel to keep dust out of the holes but let air in, instead of tinfoil.

Edited by Freemind777 (10/10/14 09:25 AM)

Offlinethisisnothere22
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Freemind777]
    #20698616 - 10/13/14 06:48 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tips guys!

:grin:

OfflineBoofer
Pomologist
Male

Loc: Left Coast
    #20711630 - 10/16/14 03:53 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

In the BRF video, micropore tape is used to cover the holes and foil is placed on each jar lid. Then the jars are steamed for 90 minutes. After they cool down, the jars may be inoculated through the tape, as the video shows.

I don't see any place where it says to remove the tape and foil at some point. When is that done? The mycelium wants FAE so I would expect the foil and tape to come off fairly soon after inoculating?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Boofer]
    #20711723 - 10/16/14 04:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

The foil should be removed immediately after you take them from the pressure cooker or stock pot, even before inoculation. The substrate needs to start airing out and drying, I believe.

The foil is only there to protect the substrate from the water when you sterilize, not from contaminants. The mycelium needs GE, not FAE, IIRC. The fully colonized cakes need FAE, that's why we use a SGFC with 3743437 holes in it. :smile:

Just make sure you don't rough up or move around the jars too much after because the vermiculite layer is protecting the substrate and shifting it around can cause issues.

The micropore tape is optional, many people don't even bother with it, and it stays on throughout, I believe.

InvisibleFungus Mountain
Poke-N-Squirt
 User Gallery

Loc: Front row @ the Freakshow
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: stareatclouds]
    #20739099 - 10/22/14 05:16 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Fantastic write up! Thank you for taking the time to put all the info together. I've read over it twice and found it to be concise and very detailed. :thumbup:

--------------------
“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
George Orwell, 1984

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein

Offlinecpan555
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Fungus Mountain]
    #20794258 - 11/04/14 08:32 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I can't seem to get passed the mycelium phase, this is about my 4th time trying & I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My cakes seem to just stop growing a half an inch before the entire cake can be covered

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: cpan555]
    #20794309 - 11/04/14 08:42 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

would that half inch be on top where your dry layer is or on botom? if it's the bottom chances are it's too compacted from using the wrong size jars or it was jsut stuffed too tight, other then that contams could be a problem too but you should be able to spot those

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Offlinegardens
Stranger
 User Gallery

#20794345 - 11/04/14 08:50 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the tutorial mate,this newbie has it bookmarked.

--------------------
My B+ grow

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: cpan555]
    #20794620 - 11/04/14 10:11 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cpan555 said:
I can't seem to get passed the mycelium phase, this is about my 4th time trying & I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My cakes seem to just stop growing a half an inch before the entire cake can be covered

Are you sure it's not your layer of verm that isn't colonizing? Also if they have stopped growing completely, I'd just birth them and cut off the uncolonized chunk and toss them in your SGFC like usual.

OfflineDropd2nz
Stranger
    #20796269 - 11/05/14 11:25 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I may be in the wrong place at the right time , Can anyone tell me where I can find wild pcilocybin in the Southern oregon region?

InvisibleFungus Mountain
Poke-N-Squirt
 User Gallery

Loc: Front row @ the Freakshow
    #20799564 - 11/05/14 11:28 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

cpan555 said:

If you're following this tek to the tee, the 2 hole inoculation method could be your issue. That in combination with using the taller half-pint jars and you likely hamstringing mycelium production.

Not sure if that's the scenario you're working with, but if so, switch to the wide mouth half-pint jars and add 2 more inoculation points for a total of 4. 

:thumbup:

--------------------
“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”
George Orwell, 1984

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein

Invisibleglobos
Regular User
 User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Fungus Mountain]
    #20800302 - 11/06/14 07:10 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Can spores in the LC phase be replaced by living tissue (a mushroom chunk basically) to obtain a clone culture?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: globos]
    #20801328 - 11/06/14 01:03 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Do you mean placing a chunk of mushroom into an LC? Um, I'm not sure if the sterile water has the properties to break down the mushroom, but that's how people get mycelium from agar sometimes.

Invisibleglobos
Regular User
 User Gallery

#20806114 - 11/07/14 02:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
Do you mean placing a chunk of mushroom into an LC?

Yes, that's what I mean. I would love an authoritative answer from someone who has either actually tried successfully or knows it won't work.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: globos]
    #20808206 - 11/07/14 11:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I Googled and it will "work", although it's highly prone to contamination. Your best bet is working with agar first to section out and transfer the healthy mycelium. But by that point, you might as well just use the agar instead.

For clarification, it'd be mushroom tissue > agar > LC I believe.

References:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12476361
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16293134

OfflineThedude33
The Dude
Male

#20809172 - 11/08/14 09:04 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I'm currently in the process of my first grow, ever. Everything has been going as planned until I realized that I had birthed my cakes a week prematurely.
OCT 18: Spore inoc in BRF PC

NOV 1 -Jars were completely white at this time, but considering I'm a noob, I did not allow for the prescribed consolidation time *I'm Aware of it now*
NOV 1: Birthed and Submerged for 24hr
NOV 2: Rolled in (Coarse) Verm and placed in FC

I'm wondering if there are any special steps that I need to take to ensure the current health of my cakes? After reading everything I can about this subject, it seems that I should follow normal fruiting protocol. Maybe the extra step I'm missing is "patience?"

It has also been quite cold this month with my FC dropping as low as 61F and never higher than 74F. I keep the RH between 93%-99% and FAE 4-6 times a day along side 12 hours of light. I mist the cakes every time I give them FAE.

I've read about cold fruiting, but I haven't even started pinning yet. I'm thinking that since I skipped the consolidation period and my current FC Temps are low, I may be waiting a week or two to start seeing pins?

Maybe some of you advanced cultivators could take a look at my pictures and tell me what you think? Thank you guys so much for any help.

--------------------
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse,"

Edited by Thedude33 (11/08/14 09:07 AM)

Invisibleglobos
Regular User
 User Gallery

#20809611 - 11/08/14 11:25 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
[..] Your best bet is working with agar first to section out and transfer the healthy mycelium. But by that point, you might as well just use the agar instead.

References:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12476361
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16293134

Yes, as you probably suspect, I wanted to avoid agar altogether - it's hard to come by and a bit of a pain to manage.

Thanks for the authoritative answer :smile:

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20809698 - 11/08/14 11:46 AM (9 years, 5 months ago)

No problem. I'm not sure where you live, but agar is incredibly cheap and incredibly easy to make. Have you seen this Tek? http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976/fpart/1

OfflineMossStar83
Stranger

building a terrarium [Re: globos]
    #20809837 - 11/08/14 12:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have a few questions about building my terrarium. Also technique

OfflineMossStar83
Stranger

Re: building a terrarium [Re: MossStar83]
    #20809883 - 11/08/14 12:33 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Built a terrarium out of a clear tote, 25w bulb light on top.spray bottle misting for humidity,rack to keep dung off the bottom. Piece of glass angled over them.only two small holes drilled on one side for vent. Why are my mushrooms vail breaking when 1/2 an inch. how do I grow them bigger

Invisibleglobos
Regular User
 User Gallery

#20819573 - 11/10/14 03:14 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
No problem. I'm not sure where you live, but agar is incredibly cheap and incredibly easy to make. Have you seen this Tek? http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976/fpart/1

Wow, this answer is even more useful!
Not sure I can find all this stuff, but I'm reconsidering: I'll see how easy it is to get hold of the supplies. The tek seems doable even for a newbie like me.
THANKS! :smile:

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #20823422 - 11/11/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #20823435 - 11/11/14 02:43 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

globos said:
Wow, this answer is even more useful!
Not sure I can find all this stuff, but I'm reconsidering: I'll see how easy it is to get hold of the supplies. The tek seems doable even for a newbie like me.
THANKS! :smile:

Agar seems like it's difficult to do, but it's really not, it's just foreign to you now. Again, not sure where you live, but all of those ingredients are available very easily in any decent city.

I've only been doing this for about 5 weeks and I've done agar a bunch using that Tek and it's super easy and fun!

Offline0man
Stranger

#20866609 - 11/20/14 05:08 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys. Im new to growing and ive just harvested my first flush. Can somone tell me why my caps are so small (about 1cm to 1.5cm in diameter) but the stems seem normal. Could this be poor lighting? Any advice would be appreciated. also they are b+, Ive heard that bigger mushies come with the 2nd/ 3rd flush. is this accurate? Cheers

Offlinepilzmogi

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: 0man]
    #20875057 - 11/22/14 03:11 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

This detailed post was very easy to understand. Thank you.

Would someone please post on how to use agar? It comes in powder, I see and it is expensive. On amazon 4 oz. 14+ bucks.

--------------------
:mushroom2:pilzmogi

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: pilzmogi]
    #20875083 - 11/22/14 03:20 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinepilzmogi

#20875296 - 11/22/14 04:07 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks. I am totally green on this subject and trying to learn everything all at once. I realize  most likely it has been covered and it's in some thread somewhere. Just be patient with me. :heart:

There is another question: PF tek shows that the water + honey stage can be omitted. http://www.fanaticus.com/intro.htm

I don't see any purpose in it now.

--------------------

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: pilzmogi]
    #20875381 - 11/22/14 04:22 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I think you're mixing up a few different methods of colonization. Water + Honey is usually for LC's (liquid cultures) and aren't necessary for PF Tek. Agar is used to grow your culture on, monitor it's habits and check for contaminants, before being utilized as an inoculant. You also do not need that for PF Tek. Neither of those are must haves for PF Tek, but can speed up the process and help you down the line. If you've done nothing yet, I'd just do PF Tek exactly as described in the following Teks:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18381574

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15223324/fpart/all/vc/1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11585613

Those outline the process extremely well from A-Z.

Happy growing!

Offlinepilzmogi

#20875492 - 11/22/14 04:40 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

:crazy2: Thanks a lot. Lots to read!!! I do have some oyster mycelium in coffee grounds growing right now, but other than that....I am new to the whole subject. Well, not the idea, nor the desire but the actual process. But I have confidence. :cool:

The oyster mycelium was actually started form a store bought mushroom. 1 out of 6 made it. The other 5 grew greenies. :shocked: We'll see if it continues to grow.

--------------------

OfflineMarcus
Stranger

#20952875 - 12/09/14 02:11 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

I have a question, after colonization where you have the "cakes" is it okay not to be sterile?

Offlinegreen.giant
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Marcus]
    #20952907 - 12/09/14 02:19 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Just had two quick questions about the pint jars BRF cakes. 

When sterilizing, is it going overboard for me to cover my inoculation holes in the tops with a piece of masking tape, then aluminum foil before putting them in the PC?

Also, say 10 half pint jars were sterilized in a PC and I was gone for 2 weeks following sterilization but prior to inoculation.  Would this be a good way to ensure no contam is present in the jars?  Plan to inoculate following the 2 weeks away.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Marcus]
    #20954089 - 12/09/14 05:59 PM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Marcus said:
I have a question, after colonization where you have the "cakes" is it okay not to be sterile?

no you'll need to buy a biohazard suit. you'll want to birth the cakes into an iso9000 clean room. didn't you watch the video or read a TEK? you put the cake into an open air fruiting chamber with a bunch of holes in it. Think really hard about how sterile that probably isn't, and that's the most tried and true method to fruit cakes. Probably for a reason,.

OfflineMarcus
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #20955897 - 12/10/14 03:05 AM (9 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Marcus said:

no you'll need to buy a biohazard suit. you'll want to birth the cakes into an iso9000 clean room. didn't you watch the video or read a TEK? you put the cake into an open air fruiting chamber with a bunch of holes in it. Think really hard about how sterile that probably isn't, and that's the most tried and true method to fruit cakes. Probably for a reason,.

Didn't think of that, I just meant with the dunking really. Thanks for the reply anyway :smile:

Offlinetruthoflife
Stranger
    #21100034 - 01/11/15 05:04 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Dear Shroom-groomer!
This thread was amazing usefull.
But just under the situation I'm in I won't be able to go through all these steps.
It's my first time growing.
Nevertheless. I'd like to find out if it works if I inoculate these spors: https://gluckspilze.com/5-pcs-pack-spore-syringe-Cubensis
into these jars
https://gluckspilze.com/PF-Tech-Substrate (They actually alrdy consists out of the substrate and the verlite)
then wait for the mycelium to grow.
and then i would have this:
https://gluckspilze.com/Mushroom-Grow-Kit-Profi
can i just put the cakes inside there?
or do i have to roll the cakes into verlite? Would perlite work aswell?
And what about the humidity. I have to put the perlite in water before, right?
Sorry for my unknowing.
It's quite hard to follow all your steps, cause I'm from germany and my english isn't that good.
Thanks for your help.
Peace for everybody <3

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: truthoflife]
    #21100587 - 01/11/15 09:12 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

truthoflife said:
Dear Shroom-groomer!
This thread was amazing usefull.
But just under the situation I'm in I won't be able to go through all these steps.
It's my first time growing.
Nevertheless. I'd like to find out if it works if I inoculate these spors: https://gluckspilze.com/5-pcs-pack-spore-syringe-Cubensis
into these jars
https://gluckspilze.com/PF-Tech-Substrate (They actually alrdy consists out of the substrate and the verlite)
then wait for the mycelium to grow.
and then i would have this:
https://gluckspilze.com/Mushroom-Grow-Kit-Profi
can i just put the cakes inside there?
or do i have to roll the cakes into verlite? Would perlite work aswell?
And what about the humidity. I have to put the perlite in water before, right?
Sorry for my unknowing.
It's quite hard to follow all your steps, cause I'm from germany and my english isn't that good.
Thanks for your help.
Peace for everybody <3

sounds like failure to me. pre-made jars give less than a 50% success rate in my opinion, I would just wait until you can do it yourself

Offlinetruthoflife
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #21100644 - 01/11/15 09:30 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

alright
so i will do the jars on my own
But what do you think about that greenhouse?
Cause i will put the box(greenhouse) into a cupboard,
so i wouldn't be able to use a SGFC

Offlinedicodin
vagabond

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: truthoflife]
    #21100753 - 01/11/15 09:44 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

Thank you very much

--------------------
:tee::tee:

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: dicodin]
    #21103444 - 01/11/15 06:58 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

don't grow in a place you have to hide it :shrug:

Offlinetruthoflife
Stranger
    #21105798 - 01/12/15 02:45 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Man like in fuckin 80% of all countries growing is illegal
In germany they even can fuck n arrest you for having spores.
So you vannot just grow openly in your room unless you invite no ppl over.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #21105939 - 01/12/15 05:26 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

all of us have figured out a way. use some creativity

Offlinetruthoflife
Stranger
    #21106010 - 01/12/15 06:12 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I will buddy,
just saying:)
I just think it's fine to grow small for my first time.Just wanna get some for myself.
I'm 18, so I still got years to come for more growing experience :wink:

Offlinedicodin
vagabond

#21108333 - 01/12/15 03:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

truthoflife said:
Man like in fuckin 80% of all countries growing is illegal
In germany they even can fuck n arrest you for having spores.
So you vannot just grow openly in your room unless you invite no ppl over.

Yeah Germany sucks you could even get into troubles for ordering Kratom :sad:

--------------------
:tee::tee:

Offlinewebwiller
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: OverTheRainboW
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Severance13]
    #21110440 - 01/12/15 09:55 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Severance13 said:
I must say, as a well-read newbie, this is an invaluable guide. Thank you for taking what looks to be quite a bit of time to inform. As a practitioner of Kopimism, I thank you for sharing you knowledge. Ave Kopimi, good sir.

This!

--------------------
:mushroom2:

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

Loc: Center of the Universe
    #21143555 - 01/19/15 11:25 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Great tek writeup, cheers!

OfflineDarkerKingSpade
Stranger
    #21150772 - 01/20/15 03:44 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

so new to this site. still trying to find my way around everything.
but my question is simple and hope i can get an answer, been looking but there's alot here.
I'm day 6 after inoculation and opened the bucket to check for mycelium growth. According to the video it should only took 4 days to see growth.
I can't tell but it looks like the there might be start of it on the bottom of jars.
i read if your doing them in bucket they will take longer, is that true? if so how much longer?
all jars were pressure cooked for 90 minutes at 15 ppm.
my other question i can't find an answer to is when inoculating how much ccs. of spores do you need for each jar. i used 4 syringes between 5 pint size wide mouth jars. and 2.5 quart sized jars?
i did flame sterilize the syringes, but forgot the alcohol, is this batch doomed?
Please let me know if i screwed up going to start a second round of BRF
jars tomorrow, basically do it right according to video.

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: DarkerKingSpade]
    #21152091 - 01/20/15 08:25 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DarkerKingSpade said:
so new to this site. still trying to find my way around everything.
but my question is simple and hope i can get an answer, been looking but there's alot here.
I'm day 6 after inoculation and opened the bucket to check for mycelium growth. According to the video it should only took 4 days to see growth.
I can't tell but it looks like the there might be start of it on the bottom of jars.
i read if your doing them in bucket they will take longer, is that true? if so how much longer?
all jars were pressure cooked for 90 minutes at 15 ppm.
my other question i can't find an answer to is when inoculating how much ccs. of spores do you need for each jar. i used 4 syringes between 5 pint size wide mouth jars. and 2.5 quart sized jars?
i did flame sterilize the syringes, but forgot the alcohol, is this batch doomed?
Please let me know if i screwed up going to start a second round of BRF
jars tomorrow, basically do it right according to video.

What tek are you following?

The recommendation for pf tek is to use 1/2 pint wide mouth jars. Assuming you use those jars, you would use 1cc total spore solution per jar. It doesn't take much.

Watch the Lets Grow Mushroom videos and follow the tek correctly if you want optimal results.

Offlinerelevance799
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Guardian187]
    #21172236 - 01/24/15 07:15 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I'm still on the fence about doing pf tek first as much as i wanna learn to spawn grain then fruit on a substrate. It sounds simple but each type of grain has its own method/tek that complicates things. What would be the overall consensus on whats the easiest type of grain (and tek) to spawn grain then fruit on a bulk substrate? thanks ppl

InvisibleGuardian187
Neophyte

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: relevance799]
    #21181852 - 01/26/15 06:20 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

relevance799 said:
I'm still on the fence about doing pf tek first as much as i wanna learn to spawn grain then fruit on a substrate. It sounds simple but each type of grain has its own method/tek that complicates things. What would be the overall consensus on whats the easiest type of grain (and tek) to spawn grain then fruit on a bulk substrate? thanks ppl

Currently doing rye berries following SpitballJedi's tek (link is in my signature "The Basics"). Those are colonizing really well (nearing 100%) and then I will be spawning to bulk following PastyWhyte's mini mono tek, using CVG for my bulk substrate.

Check out some of the links in my signature.

PF TEK was a good starting point because it helped me understand the growing process and it is nice if you can't afford a pressure cooker, but monotubs have me very excited at the moment :smile:

Offlinerelevance799
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Guardian187]
    #21209142 - 01/31/15 10:26 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah you gotta evolve and stay relevant. There's a lotta of advancements it seems (same principles tho) in the way ppl do their thing compared to before. I keep hearing pftek is good to learn the process to see how it all happens etc. But more ppl are recomending monotubs and grain spawn these days to get a decent harvest, even without higher failure rates. A lot of the yeilds from some of the pf tek grows have me discouraged (from starting with pftek).

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: relevance799]
    #21209213 - 01/31/15 10:47 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

You'll always have variance in yield because you're using multi-spore syringes with PF Tek and that's a genetics crapshoot. You can do both at the same time. I was learning about grains and LI's and LC's while my BRF cakes were still colonizing. Also a lot of PF Tek grows get great yield. You're not guaranteed a bigger yield with monos right off the bat either.

I would do PF Tek to start and learn how to look at moisture in fruits and their subs and learn the basic sterile technique needed.

As far as grains go, I think WBS is probably the easiest and quickest to prep, but if you don't have sterile technique down with a decent SAB and don't know about agar yet, you're probably screwed.

My vote is PF Tek while learning about bulk growing in the meantime.

OfflineDankfungus
funguy
Male
    #21220299 - 02/03/15 10:12 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Says here to use one 13w bulb for a fc, wha if you have like 5 stacked? How should I light all 5 efficiently

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Dankfungus]
    #21224208 - 02/04/15 01:20 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Regarding discreetness and lighting, I am sorry I didn't say this when I wrote the tek (I didn't know...), but the answer is TRUFFLES - as I wrote in a new edit at the very beginning of this tek. Why everyone is leaning towards mushrooms as opposed to truffles, and why it is "common knowledge" that truffles are harder to grow, is unclear to me. Like many beginners, I was also duped away from truffles when I just began growing about 5 years ago, because of many posts here saying how hard it is to grow them, and I never looked back and missed out on all the fun. Truffles are the way to go for beginners. Easy to grow (see Violet's tek for example, and of course it's not the only good one), and amazing trips with less nausea issues.

Offlineorlandomike
Stranger
    #21224614 - 02/04/15 06:49 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe I got confused on part of the instructions but I have the spore syringes from online and I believe they can be stored for later use in the refrigerator lower compartments correct?

Now, how do you go about re-colonizing on your own so you don't have to always buy spores online. Is that what the earlier part is about?  If I save one of the fully caked jars in the refrig, can I easily take sections of that later and drop into fresh jars down the road for easier inoculation?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: orlandomike]
    #21226407 - 02/04/15 03:09 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, you can store syringes in the fridge. I always wrap mine in paper bags and put them in the bottom compartment. If you have a separate mini-fridge, that might be best since regular fridges are dirty.

The easiest way to keep a culture going is to learn basic agar work. Check out Pasty's Easy Agar Tek and read that entire thread. Agar is basically a gelatinous substance that is nutritional for mycelium to grow on and colonize. It's great because you can see if the mycelium is clean before you do anything with it.

OfflineOwnYourMind
Stranger
    #21238726 - 02/07/15 10:37 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Can't wait to follow this tek :laugh:

<~~~a newcomer who's been reading and reading and well more reading

OfflineDingaling
Beginner
Male

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: OwnYourMind]
    #21290797 - 02/17/15 08:57 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

OwnYourMind said:
Can't wait to follow this tek :laugh:

<~~~a newcomer who's been reading and reading and well more reading

Same!

Offlinetracesofdave
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Dingaling]
    #21311269 - 02/21/15 10:58 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

NIce!  you should post some more pics of your grows using this method...going to give this a whirl next time

Offlinenochem
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: tracesofdave]
    #21418019 - 03/16/15 09:03 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

very nicely written easy to understand thsnk you for taking 'the time..

OfflineBigE610
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: nochem]
    #21431274 - 03/19/15 01:40 PM (9 years, 30 days ago)

thanks for putting this together.

OfflineLostWoods
Space Cadet
Male
Loc: Lower Mainland, British C... Flag
    #21445292 - 03/22/15 11:33 PM (9 years, 27 days ago)

Hey :smile:. I am trying to grow my first mushrooms. Ate like 4 grams of some good cubes last night and had my first hard trip! It was so amazing and I don't feel afraid of bad trips anymore as every time I felt anxiety rise I forced my mind to simply "let go" and relax. Worked everytime! Had amazing visuals and felt the waves :laugh:.

I've been reading about growing my own for a few weeks now and looked into pf tek. But I kinda wanna start with a kit and then tek my second grow.

I live in Vancouver Canada and am having trouble finding a legit place to get spore syringes from. Heard of one local place but I want to get my spores from somewhere that maybe other people can vouch for. Also I kind of want to try a grow kit as I do have 150$ to blow haha.

Not sure where to post as I don't have permission yet but how do you find locals who have experience? I would love to meet likeminded individuals :smile: thanks for reading

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: LostWoods]
    #21447019 - 03/23/15 12:09 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

1. Don't buy a grow kit. Just research the materials you need and buy them yourself. A grow kit will be a shitty version of PF Tek.
2. Not sure about Canada spores as I am from America, sorry. Google should help.

OfflineLostWoods
Space Cadet
Male
    #21447404 - 03/23/15 02:05 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

stareatclouds said:
1. Don't buy a grow kit. Just research the materials you need and buy them yourself. A grow kit will be a shitty version of PF Tek.
2. Not sure about Canada spores as I am from America, sorry. Google should help.

I ended up going to a local seed bank shop and buying a syringe of golden teacher for 31$. Money is no concern.. I want to grow mushrooms :smile:.

I did research a lot and am going to most likely go buy stuff for pf tek and buy a large pot to steam the jars. I have only a tiny pot i use for cooking so no PC no large pot.

Is pf tek the best beginner way?

Offlinerandoman
KING
Male

Loc: North East side. Flag
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: LostWoods]
    #21447505 - 03/23/15 02:33 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Yes, It is a great place to start. I just used some pf cakes to make a mono so you will always have the opportunity to change your mind.....

I will always have some cakes in my sgfc just because....It is a for sure proven if your mono tritches out process!

I always use cakes for printable specimens.

If money is no object and you are buying pre sterilized shit I would most likely get like rye bags of something though! They colonize much faster!

--------------------
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Hunter S. Thompson
The Noob Forum:jah:Getting started:bow2::rockon::rockon:
Wanna Trade?

Offlinerandoman
KING
Male

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: randoman]
    #21447515 - 03/23/15 02:35 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

I also make trays from brf cakes.... so far so good! It is like the only loophole for having no pc. I always pc them anyway but I did not on my first grow and it all worked out perfect not one problem!

Also for those here interested bookmark my grow log in my sig... I am going to be having a burma, mazapac, and eq print giveaway for fellow noobs next week.

--------------------
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Hunter S. Thompson
Wanna Trade?

Edited by randoman (03/23/15 02:39 PM)

OfflineLostWoods
Space Cadet
Male
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: randoman]
    #21448782 - 03/23/15 08:39 PM (9 years, 26 days ago)

Got everything for about 155$ total from walmart and can tire.. They aren't cheap in canada. Had to get glass cups that are 400 ml but I researched that it should be okay just take longer to colonize. Filled about 300ml mixture 2-1-1 and the rest dry verm. Steaming as we speak with double tinfoil. Tomorrow i will heat the needle and inject the spores :smile: hopefully all is well.

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #21453846 - 03/24/15 11:58 PM (9 years, 25 days ago)

If you have the money and know you want to do this hobby, I'd buy an AA Pressure Cooker for sure. Make sure you have a good amount of 70% isopropyl alcohol and nitrile gloves. Sterile technique is key. And don't forget the still air box!

OfflineLostWoods
Space Cadet
Male
    #21465489 - 03/27/15 12:49 PM (9 years, 22 days ago)

Yeah i have a big bottle of 70% iso alch. I was very very sterile in my inoculation. And I sealed my fresh air vents in my apartment a few hours prior even. I have a great understanding of the environment around me scince I am a science nerd. Tuesday morning I inoculated then. I checked last night and couldn't tell any mycelium yet but I know it's risky to handlw rhem a lot so I will wait till the 7 day mark (Tuesday) to check this time. I doubt they will get contaminated though.. My apartment is spotless.. Don't even have carpet and I am on the 7th floor. Obviously thee will still be stuff in the air but less of it I am sure :smile:. Cannot wait to see that the spores were legit :smile:

Offlineveee
Stranger
    #21508890 - 04/06/15 05:39 AM (9 years, 13 days ago)

Beatiful.

Edited by veee (04/06/15 05:42 AM)

OfflineMycoBrainz
Mycotic
Male User Gallery

Loc: West Coast
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: veee]
    #21543773 - 04/13/15 07:49 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

I am new to the BRf Tek,but I have it in operation with many different variations. I added wheat flour and BRF, Quinoa, Amarath and , Millet to another batch Hp to another and coco hp verm mix to another just to see what works best. I guess we'll see, they are all colonizing well so far I see no difference.

--------------------
:stoned:

PFC x Creeper

Lets Get Stoned

Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeker of Knowledge
Female User Gallery

Loc: Nonya Flag
    #21753519 - 06/02/15 04:20 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I have a stupid ass question.  Here goes nothing.  If your looking at the syringe and you see each cc 1-10.  How many lines do you put in each hole?  I have four holes.  I read and saw the man inoculating the jars, however it does not go into detail how much is a 1/4 of a cc.  I must be accessing the retarded gene in my cesspool of a brain.  I had 3 syringes 2 golden teach and 1 Orissa India.  It only made 19 jars.  I'm not reading the syringe right.  I have ordered them from a reputable site but it is more than 10 cc's.  Can you please explain to me the operation of the syringe? Please do not laugh at me.  If it helps you any my dad used to yell at me what part of math dont you understand.  I fear I wasted alot of spores.

--------------------
Jel-O
Everyone carries a piece of the puzzle. Nobody comes into your life by mere coincidence. Trust your instincts. Do the unexpected. Find the others!
- Timothy Leary

Magically Funkilicious
Funkilicious

OfflineTFS
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: magicallyfunky]
    #21756294 - 06/03/15 06:51 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

magicallyfunky said:
I have a stupid ass question.  Here goes nothing.  If your looking at the syringe and you see each cc 1-10.  How many lines do you put in each hole?  I have four holes.  I read and saw the man inoculating the jars, however it does not go into detail how much is a 1/4 of a cc.  I must be accessing the retarded gene in my cesspool of a brain.  I had 3 syringes 2 golden teach and 1 Orissa India.  It only made 19 jars.  I'm not reading the syringe right.  I have ordered them from a reputable site but it is more than 10 cc's.  Can you please explain to me the operation of the syringe? Please do not laugh at me.  If it helps you any my dad used to yell at me what part of math dont you understand.  I fear I wasted alot of spores.

My 10cc syringes are marked off in in 5ths like this.

---
  ---
  ---
  ---

Assuming yours are similarly marked, use one "line" per hole or just a hair over.

Offlinemr. top hat
Rambler
Male User Gallery

#21930066 - 07/11/15 06:24 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

NOOBIE DOOBIE DOO!

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: mr. top hat]
    #21930118 - 07/11/15 06:32 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

you know like a dollar, and then there's 4 quarters and that's a dollar too. use a quarter of 1CC or make sure that you get 4 equal squirts out of 1CC

Offlinetrying1
Stranger
help anyone [Re: clubbase]
    #21966863 - 07/19/15 07:38 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Why is it necessary to make the liquid culture?  Why can't you just inoculate the spores directly into the brown rice/vermiculite jars?  It seems like the LC is just an extra step and its purpose is not clear to me.

Any help appreciated.

OfflineDoc_tattoo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: trying1]
    #21973946 - 07/21/15 01:18 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent tek

OfflineTweakie
Stranger
 User Gallery

#22061139 - 08/07/15 11:46 PM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm

OfflineOwlMirror
Stranger
    #22311795 - 09/30/15 12:07 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Hello,
Thank-you for the well written tutorial.
I'm a complete noob with regards to growing.
My question is regarding the growing medium.
I have been reading a lot but, I have come across some info which is confusing when it comes to the various strains available.
Please take a look at some descriptions below.

The Magic Mushroom Growers Guide

Psilocybe cubensis - are easily domesticated and will aggressively and potently fruit over a wide range of environmental parameters.

Psilocybe hoogshagenii -  prefers muddy red soils, with a special affinity for coffee plantations

Psilocybe Mexicanna - meadows and pastures, among moss and herbs along roadsides and trails, and particularly in the vicinity of grassy areas bordering deciduous woodlands. Its range includes much of subtropical Mexico, typically in limestone regions at elevations between 4,000--5,500 feet

Psilocybe muliercula (Psilocybe wassonii) - rich, dark soils in marshy areas

Should I just stay with Psilocybe cubensis and the Brown Rice Cake as is described in your tutorial or will these other strain grow equally well in the Brown Rice Cake method?

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
Re: help anyone [Re: trying1]
    #22312802 - 09/30/15 07:51 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

trying1 said:
Why is it necessary to make the liquid culture?  Why can't you just inoculate the spores directly into the brown rice/vermiculite jars?  It seems like the LC is just an extra step and its purpose is not clear to me.

Any help appreciated.

You can. Most people do. I would recommend you do that as well. LC is germinated spores in a medium that has enough nutrients to allow them to germinate and grow. It's quicker to colonize because the spores are basically a step further in their life cycle (already germinated). It's a controversial method. I would just shoot your spore syringes into the cakes directly.

OfflineKushspade
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #22350362 - 10/08/15 02:37 PM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Can any one tell me if any of these mushrooms magic or poison found them in the forest of Southern California please reply thank

http:/

http:/[url=http://files.shroomery.org/files/15-41/432082253-1444320691777-1619843224.jpg][/url

OfflineArs
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Kushspade]
    #22366750 - 10/12/15 05:14 AM (8 years, 6 months ago)

Hey everyone. Been lurking/researching on here for a while and figured I'd make my first post a useful one in my learning process. I let my brf jars cool for about 5.5-6 hours after steam sterilizing (2 days ago, not expecting growth yet) and I'm wondering if this was enough time for the actual cakes to cool before I injected them (used spore syringe not LC). My second question is in regards to SGFC's. I have 6 cakes currently, I'm expecting/hoping I'll have 4 that will fully colonize. I have a small sgfc capable of holding 8 cakes or so(I plan on making more cakes Wednesday, 4 of which will be added to the smaller sgfc after colonization). I also have a larger container that could hold about 16-18 cakes probably more, but was wondering if I ran an ultrasonic humidifier in that, and crumbled roughly 18 cakes(possibly more if I could fit them) and filled the bottom that way, if that would work. If not I will run a regular shotgun, but I am curious after reading about crumbling brf cakes. I would not be drilling out the bottom or using perlite, and would add an extra row of holes around the container on the 4 walls, about 1/2" above where the broken up cakes would sit. The ultrasonic humidifier would simulate misting(I would still mist when needed and fan as scheduled). I know this isn't a great bulk method( I'm not looking to yield crazy amounts) but I would like to get a couple flushes under my belt before moving beyond BRF cakes or SGFC's. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or fix what isn't broken, just wondering if there's a way I can make the most of the space that I'm currently limited to. I've already gone over the budget that I limited myself to, so I'm trying to get away with just what's required for SGFC's. Thank you to whoever may read this and have some input for a noob like myself.

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Loc: A small hot country
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Ars]
    #22407574 - 10/20/15 07:40 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

I'm assuming when you noc'd your jars they were cool to the touch in which case they were likely cool enough. Somewhere around 140 degrees F is where everyone seems to say the myc could be killed so I'd assume the same for spore germination. Within the next day or two you should see the first signs of myc growth with what will at first look like white fuzz so time will tell. Most of what I've read recommends about 8 hours on PC'g so it would likely be a bit less on steaming since the heat's not so high.

I had also thought of using a ultrasonic unit and even bought one but I don't at this stage plan to use it. My FC is smaller than what you've planned and from what I've read the units can cause more problems than not. Since you are planning to spray and fan anyway what would be the point of using the ultrasonic unit? I'd advise you to keep reading about them before making a final decision.

--------------------

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Kushspade]
    #22407596 - 10/20/15 07:48 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Kushspade said:
Can any one tell me if any of these mushrooms magic or poison

I suspect you are about to be told this question belongs in the identification section of the Mushroom Info - Hunting Mushrooms.

Even if it was posted where it belongs I suspect you'd be told there is no way anyone can properly identify those mushies based on those pics alone. If you read up on mushroom identification techniques you'll see there is a lot of very specific info that needs to be gathered to properly identify mushrooms and the advice you are given is never consume a mushroom unless you know what it is.

--------------------

Offlineworkinprogress
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Still_tripping]
    #22457367 - 10/31/15 11:30 AM (8 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you, great for a  newbie like myself.

Offlinetbarbeast
Male

Loc: queensland Flag
    #22648430 - 12/13/15 12:07 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

neat! I got a PSN redeem code and surprisingly it worked! No strings attached they're giving them away for free at http://freepsnforever.com

Offlinepictou99
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: tbarbeast]
    #22649098 - 12/13/15 07:17 AM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Did the Tek for simple minds and incocculated and colonized beautifully but here is my dilemma. I should as per the tek 24 hr dunk and then roll then SGFC but after the second day I am away for 36 hrs cannot fan and mist. Should I colonize and extra 4 day or let it go 36 hrs without misting and fanning. Please and thank you

Offlinerandoman
KING
Male

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: pictou99]
    #22650320 - 12/13/15 02:53 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

:mygoditsfullofstars: Wait it out my brother!

--------------------
Wanna Trade?

InvisibleMoabfighter
Tam Fighter
 User Gallery

#22650479 - 12/13/15 03:42 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Where's the new thread option?

--------------------
KSSS And PE WBS.

Offlineunagi617
Stranger
    #22807510 - 01/21/16 03:43 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

This is great, perfect for beginners. Thanks

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: help anyone [Re: trying1]
    #23096379 - 04/08/16 09:19 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

All these questions on spores are answered in the post... for example:

Quote:

To inoculate the spawning substrate (step 3.2), which in our case will be BRF jars, you need either a spore syringe (a syringe containing spores suspended in water) or LC (live mycelium in water). Inoculating with a spore syringe works, but it is not a very efficient use of spores, and is more contamination-prone. LC is already “alive-and-kicking”, so it is less likely to be thwarted by contaminants.

I agree with the criticism of LC in general, I just used it because my environment was apparently very moldy (and I couldn't do much about the mold in the air in my house at the time), so I got a lot of contaminated BRF jars when I inoculated with spores. Also it was much slower to colonize. I suggest try with spores and if it works well, stick to it. LC is only necessary if spore inoculation is problematic for whatever reason, and if you don't want to move up to more professional methods (grain to grain, etc.)

Offlinebubblesthefairy
Stranger
    #23119322 - 04/15/16 01:15 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Hey, this is my first grow and I fucked something up - forgot to let the jars cool. Could I still inoculate them with a different spore syringe or is there now too much water in my jars and I have to start over? thanks for your help!

OfflineRualDuke
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: bubblesthefairy]
    #23121301 - 04/15/16 04:06 PM (8 years, 2 days ago)

I am looking to start growing soon , have a lot of the things needed and have people helping me with my set up , I am wanting to have some above average shrooms so as to have a really good trip, what spores would do a good job of this and wouldn't be extremely difficult for a newbie to maintain?

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: bubblesthefairy]
    #23129735 - 04/18/16 05:37 AM (8 years, 3 hours ago)

If the jars were too hot then you may have killed your spores. Give it a week to see if anything grows or not, if not then you can try again. You are right to be concerned with the moisture content and after a week you can see if there appears to be too much water or not. If there is then maybe starting new jars would be the way to go but if there is no standing water in them and no apparent contams growing then I would try with them again. I just let some jars of corn go a week to see if spores would germinate, they haven't, there is no apparent moisture problem and no contams growing so tonight I will inoculate them again.

--------------------

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: RualDuke]
    #23129758 - 04/18/16 05:50 AM (8 years, 2 hours ago)

Firstly I would point out that there is no easy way to influence the potency of any multi-spore grow and secondly I'd suggest it dosen't matter much. You'll find you soon have more shrooms than you can use so whatever the potency turns out to be you can always adjust the dosage to compensate.
What I'd suggest as a first time grower is to avoid those strains and varieties that are known to be difficult to grow since having a successful grow is far more important to you at this stage than worrying about the differences between strains. Any of the normal cubensis strains will be about the same, you may want to avoid Penis Envy to start. A+, B+, Golden Teacher, Puerto Ricans, etc, etc, are all good. 
That said there can be significant differences in potency from one grow to the next but it is a toss up with multi-spore grows and can depend on a number of factors that as a beginner you are probably not ready to handle as yet. Don't worry though because if you follow the teks to start you will have success and you will achieve your goal.

--------------------

InvisibleBunji Fungi
Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Still_tripping]
    #23148627 - 04/23/16 10:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Here are a couple of pictures of my LCs. I have four jars. I shook two of them yesterday. I thought I remembered which ones, but now I'm not so sure. Regardless, 2 of the jars look nice and fluffy like the picture above, and 2 look weak and wispy like the other picture. Prior to shaking they all looked healthy. Does anyone think these wispy ones are contaminated? How long should I wait for them to recover before tossing them?

OfflineRualDuke
Stranger

#23178413 - 05/01/16 11:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks , do you have any particular cite you use to get spores? I've noticed some cites on here don't ship to my area

OfflineDcsmokedown91
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: RualDuke]
    #23178590 - 05/02/16 01:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Glad to join

Offlinemarkymarket
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Dcsmokedown91]
    #23178840 - 05/02/16 04:54 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Somebody please help. This is my third grow. The second was unsuccessful due to having to toss them suddenly.  These have been in the fc for about 3 days now and this white "fuzz " keeps getting bigger. I want to believe it's mycelium but if I could get someone who is expert to put me at ease I'd greatly appreciate it.

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

#23179263 - 05/02/16 08:30 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RualDuke said:
Thanks , do you have any particular cite you use to get spores? I've noticed some cites on here don't ship to my area

All the Shroomery sponsors are supposed to be good.

--------------------

OfflineStill_tripping
Lord yes!

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: markymarket]
    #23179275 - 05/02/16 08:36 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

markymarket said:
Somebody please help. This is my third grow. The second was unsuccessful due to having to toss them suddenly.  These have been in the fc for about 3 days now and this white "fuzz " keeps getting bigger. I want to believe it's mycelium but if I could get someone who is expert to put me at ease I'd greatly appreciate it.

Dosen't look good. I'm thinking you have bacterial growth going on but you should wait for some more knowledgeable opinions on it.

What have you got your cakes sitting on? It looks like a verm & coir mixture. It is supposed to be 3" to 4" of perlite in a SGFC.

--------------------

Offlinemarkymarket
Stranger
    #23179470 - 05/02/16 09:40 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

:sad:

that's not what i was hoping to hear. would an h202 dunk work you think?

i have it sitting on verm and  peat moss mix. the first grow was awesome on it. the second i used perlite and just couldn't make it work ( my own doing of course, i've seen the step by step and great results of perlite)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: markymarket]
    #23181259 - 05/02/16 06:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like some aerial myc and bacteria.

I can't say for sure it's bacterial because sitting your cakes directly on anything that's always wet can cause them to water-log which can lead to your cakes looking the way they do. I'm also terrible at spotting some contams in pics, especially bacteria. How do they smell? your cakes should smell mushroomy.

You may have had success with the peat, but it was probably just luck. It doesn't really do anything for the cakes sitting on top of it and creates a nice little place for contamination to start growing. Many contams love peat, so it has to be prepped properly to avoid them.

Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC)

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Offlinemarkymarket
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #23182927 - 05/03/16 05:19 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

that makes alot of sense now that i take 2 seconds to think about it. Thank you. well ill give em another day or so and if anything ill try and remedy the problem. If theyre already ruined i have nothing to lose.

thanks for the help. hopefully i can get past these rookie mistakes lol

Offlinemctaveesh
StrangerInAStrangeLand
Male

#23208629 - 05/10/16 02:51 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You got all the supplies in this Tek for $155?

I just ask because I'm trying to estimate what I'll need to start growing.

Someone said I wouldn't be able to do PF-Tek with a budget of around $200

--------------------

LogicaL Chaos said:
"humans are like cubes, lots of strains but cubes a cube. Not much difference really."

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: mctaveesh]
    #23209754 - 05/10/16 10:36 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

SGFC should cost less than $20 US including tote and perlite
BRF cakes should cost less than $10 for a bag of verm and BRF
A rack of 12 1/2 pint wide-mouth jars is about $10

Then, all you need is the spores and a pot for steam sterilizing and another for keeping extra boiling water.

So, you can do PF tek for less than $100 depending on availability of materials. Check thrift stores for pots and jars, too. Amazon has free shipping on orders over $49.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Offlinemctaveesh
StrangerInAStrangeLand
Male

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #23210974 - 05/10/16 04:36 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks. :smile:

--------------------

LogicaL Chaos said:
"humans are like cubes, lots of strains but cubes a cube. Not much difference really."

OfflineFractaliopsybe
⊰⚜⊱
Other User Gallery

Loc: ☮☣✯ Flag
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: mctaveesh]
    #23232518 - 05/16/16 05:26 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis.:mushroom2:Panaeolus Cyanescens.:mushroom2:Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. Dimethyltryptamine.:deemsters:

OfflineAstrofan
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
    #23304926 - 06/03/16 08:26 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Nice

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #23305097 - 06/03/16 09:06 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
SGFC should cost less than $20 US including tote and perlite
BRF cakes should cost less than $10 for a bag of verm and BRF
A rack of 12 1/2 pint wide-mouth jars is about $10

Then, all you need is the spores and a pot for steam sterilizing and another for keeping extra boiling water.

So, you can do PF tek for less than $100 depending on availability of materials. Check thrift stores for pots and jars, too. Amazon has free shipping on orders over $49.

You're forgetting another, likely bigger tote for SAB, drill bits for the holes in SGFC (not everyone has those), hole saw for SAB arm holes (other methods suck, IMO),  gypsum, extra jars/rings to stack in a pot, isopropyl alcohol, nitrile gloves, face mask, spray bottle, micropore/surgical tape, etc.

There's a bunch of small things you left out that add up the price a little bit. I didn't have any of that when I started and had to buy them all fresh.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #23305248 - 06/03/16 09:51 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, different people have different things already and some of that stuff on your list is pretty common or can be borrowed.

Gypsum is not required.

Drill bits and hole saws can be borrowed, returned, or worked around.

Extra jars or lids are not required because there are other common household things that can be used

Alcohol is a common household item and cheap, so are spray bottles and gloves.

Masks are cheap and not absolutely required.

But yes, there are a lot of little items that you may need to buy that can add up, but I have no intention of making a complete list of every possible thing that he may need to purchase. He can do that himself by looking at the tek and seeing what he's already got.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineFractaliopsybe
⊰⚜⊱
Other User Gallery

#23305697 - 06/04/16 01:10 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis.:mushroom2:Panaeolus Cyanescens.:mushroom2:Psilocybe Subaeruginosa. Dimethyltryptamine.:deemsters:

OfflineSilverspork
Stranger

#23314893 - 06/06/16 04:53 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Good thread. 

I can see it being difficult for some people to sift through all of the misinformation about cultivation available online.  It's too bad there is no universal retard filter. 

Edited by Silverspork (06/06/16 04:53 PM)

OfflineFractaliopsybe
⊰⚜⊱
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Silverspork]
    #23317395 - 06/07/16 08:32 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

Trial and Error Fellas!

--------------------

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Fractaliopsybe]
    #23320143 - 06/07/16 11:37 PM (7 years, 10 months ago)

TNF may filer out some of the retardation

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflineGranpawShroomie
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: shamanboyz69]
    #23501471 - 08/02/16 11:07 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Well,actually,Im a noobie and(admittedly) a bit of a lamer so everyone PLEASE be patient with me...LOL.My question is this: Whats the advantage of using brown rice flour? Is it better than cow manure?

InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Primordial Mind
    #23546353 - 08/16/16 09:10 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for this information.  Once the needed materials come together I will report my first grow attempt using this method and information along with bits from others.  :smile:

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

OfflineGranpawShroomie
Stranger

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: The Blind Ass]
    #23556467 - 08/19/16 10:47 AM (7 years, 7 months ago)

What the hell am I doin wrong? I can see any replies to my q2uestion...???

OfflineTamayo1991
Stranger
    #23694299 - 09/30/16 03:09 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

So it's my first time .I'm a rookie .I followed all the steps to do it right .using jars ..I inoculated 6.. they are incubating at 75-83 f . It's been 9 days ..only 2 jars have shown any signs of mycelium growth .. do all jars grow at different rates ?or should I be worried that the others will never grow .I will give it another week before I check on the jars again before I panic

OfflineFractaliopsybe
⊰⚜⊱
Other User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Tamayo1991]
    #23697836 - 10/01/16 05:38 PM (7 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tamayo1991 said:
So it's my first time .I'm a rookie .I followed all the steps to do it right .using jars ..I inoculated 6.. they are incubating at 75-83 f . It's been 9 days ..only 2 jars have shown any signs of mycelium growth .. do all jars grow at different rates ?or should I be worried that the others will never grow .I will give it another week before I check on the jars again before I panic

Cultivation General Discussion
:takingnotes:^^
--------------:hatsoff:

--------------------

Offline555
Mountain Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tennessee, USA Flag
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Fractaliopsybe]
    #23743985 - 10/16/16 09:39 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Great friggin job, hat's off to you clubbase !!

--------------------
I've been down the rabbit hole and I like it!!

Offlinebobaloo11
Stranger

#24252320 - 04/17/17 06:12 PM (7 years, 14 hours ago)

Great Post!!! Got a lot of helpful info. Bookmarked!

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass

Loc: Inner Astral levels Flag
    #24252475 - 04/17/17 06:58 PM (7 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
TNF may filer out some of the retardation

That's not nice sir

OfflineGeerts Leemings
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24252688 - 04/17/17 08:01 PM (7 years, 12 hours ago)

Is the cake method really the right way to go. Ive heard mixed things about choosing them over casings for your first go

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Geerts Leemings]
    #24252814 - 04/17/17 08:48 PM (7 years, 11 hours ago)

Cakes are cakes.
If you want more, then make some Agar plates, move those into some rye or other grain, then mix with some other substrate  ad put it in a big tub.

Cakes take more constant watch, they dry out easier I think.
Tubs are the way to go

OfflineGeerts Leemings
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: mynakedrat]
    #24253449 - 04/18/17 02:32 AM (7 years, 6 hours ago)

What do the agar plates offer over just knocking the substrate up?

Invisiblemynakedrat
The phantom hourglass

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Geerts Leemings]
    #24253764 - 04/18/17 08:11 AM (7 years, 27 minutes ago)

Isolating clean culture. Identifying bacteria, isolating myceliae that has rigorous rhizomic growth.
Agar is everything

Invisiblestareatclouds
star eat clouds?

Trusted Cultivator
    #24254142 - 04/18/17 10:47 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Geerts Leemings said:
Is the cake method really the right way to go. Ive heard mixed things about choosing them over casings for your first go

A casing is a layer of something placed on top of a substrate for various reasons. This is a good method to start. My earlier posts in this thread show a lot of information about agar and LC and stuff if you're curious about agar.

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: GranpawShroomie]
    #24283789 - 04/30/17 11:25 AM (6 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think you did anything wrong, but you asked a question that was asked and answered a bazillion times on the forums, so sometimes people ignore those. Also the question is posted in the wrong forum. This one is a guide for absolute beginners, in full detail using one of the easiest methods.

Cow manure is not generally used for home growing, even though cubensis does grow on cow manure in nature. Instead, growers use horse manure. There is a debate as to whether it is "better" than BRF (brown rice flower) or not. Growing on horse manure is considered more advanced and more of a challenge, even though it is fairly easy as well. Most people who start growing on horse manure don't go back to BRF and talk about how horse manure is the shit, no pun intended. I've tried both and I can't say which is better. Grows based on horse manure with bags require less long-term work, because  you don't have to tend to your fruiting chamber, so I do like that... I couldn't tell a difference in fruit quality or size between the methods.

I really suggest getting serious with using the search engine - all these questions have been answered ad nauseam on these forums...

good luck in your endeavors!!!

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24284077 - 04/30/17 01:03 PM (6 years, 11 months ago)

Welcome back to the boards. 12 posts in 5 years haha.

A lot of use use coir for indoor grows.

Offlineclubbase
organism
Male User Gallery

#24753248 - 11/01/17 09:32 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

wellll daaamnnn it's BOD you da man!

I was away for years after some moving around the world and could not cultivate :frown:  really missed this. And now back and learned so much from your minimalist teks upon returning! Thanks so much for all your amazing work!!!

I'm in the final stages of setting stuff up again finally and I am a total convert to your minimalism I love it. When I started I was in an area with no coir (yeah weird...some countries have no basic cultivation shit) and very very expensive agar. But now back in the US and I can do it the BOD way haha

Hopefully will have some pics of results soon.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #24753269 - 11/01/17 09:39 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

:rockon:
Glad to hear it

OfflineUncleChuck
Stranger
    #24755948 - 11/02/17 11:05 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I’m doing the BRF method,I recently just got done pressure cooking my substrate and it looks really wet and I followed the directions to the T. All the posts online said if the substrate is to wet your fucked. So should I open the cans up and add more verm and re cook them? Or what should I do? (I haven’t nocc them yet)

OfflineMajestic.af
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25417389 - 08/27/18 05:49 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I noc’d a bunch of jars with three different types. They were 1 pint jars becasue that’s what I had. I filled them 3/4 of the way and then topped off with dry verm not realizing the needle wouldn’t reach the bottom of the dry.  It’s been four days at 75degrees and shows absolutely nothing. Seems the Lc stayed in the dry verm and never made it to the cake. Should I wait or just scrap it? What would you do? Any help is appreciated. .

--------------------
“The truth does not require your belief. The truth is real! You can beat it on the ground, you can rip it apart, you can look inside it. No body needs to guard the truth from inspection. No body needs  tell you that you can’t look behind the stage. And so my motivation is to try to, #1, bring people to the realization that the spiritual path (if you want to think of it that way) that it is a REAL THING and it will carry you to the REAL THING!” - Terrence McKenna

Offlinegbu
Can't even
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern US
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Majestic.af]
    #25417452 - 08/27/18 06:14 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

If you didn't get past the dry verm, you probably won't get anything. I'd dump and restart.

InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Majestic.af] * 1
    #25418611 - 08/28/18 07:28 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Majestic.af said:
I noc’d a bunch of jars with three different types. They were 1 pint jars becasue that’s what I had. I filled them 3/4 of the way and then topped off with dry verm not realizing the needle wouldn’t reach the bottom of the dry.  It’s been four days at 75degrees and shows absolutely nothing. Seems the Lc stayed in the dry verm and never made it to the cake. Should I wait or just scrap it? What would you do? Any help is appreciated. .

4 days from LC and no signs of life...I would scrap it, get the right size jars, and try again. :undecided:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

OfflineMajestic.af
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: gbu] * 1
    #25418982 - 08/28/18 10:40 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Ok thank you guys. I was afraid of this. I have 1/2 pint now, and also have some wbs I’d like to noc. I think I’ll try a dub tub and also retry some pf cakes in the 1/2 pint. Again, thanks for he input.

--------------------
“The truth does not require your belief. The truth is real! You can beat it on the ground, you can rip it apart, you can look inside it. No body needs to guard the truth from inspection. No body needs  tell you that you can’t look behind the stage. And so my motivation is to try to, #1, bring people to the realization that the spiritual path (if you want to think of it that way) that it is a REAL THING and it will carry you to the REAL THING!” - Terrence McKenna

OfflinePandemonium-san
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Majestic.af]
    #25434264 - 09/04/18 02:11 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

I can't get brown rice flour anywhere in my country (Slovakia) and they don't ship it there. Can I use something else as a substitute?

Offlinegbu
Can't even
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern US
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Pandemonium-san]
    #25434277 - 09/04/18 02:36 AM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Brown rice and a food processor?

Offlinepoorspartin117
Stranger
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: gbu]
    #25435230 - 09/04/18 02:51 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

great tek

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: poorspartin117]
    #25435246 - 09/04/18 03:00 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Why are you guys using tek? I just saw it's telling you to make an lc with your spores. Not good practice.

This is the latest and most up to date PF-Tek.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24179086

And yes, I don't buy BRF. I grind brown rice in a blender, works fine.

* late add.
Here's how you make use out of a pint jar. You were on track with 3/4 fill, but you can't use that dry verm layer. Filter lids, open up to inject, pour, or drop wedges.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25110988

Edited by LtLurker (09/04/18 03:02 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: LtLurker]
    #25435291 - 09/04/18 03:32 PM (5 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, this is atrocious.
It's fail right from the start with spores to LC especially crappy honey LC.

Can it work. Yes, and it has. But why do more work for less results.

OfflineSoSporing
Stranger

#25457489 - 09/13/18 01:00 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for this useful information

OfflineTime Tourist
curioser and curioser
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: SoSporing]
    #25470061 - 09/18/18 01:53 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Do you guys also have some water on the top of the lids after pcing?
I almost covered them completely with foil. When inoculating i was worried some drops might enter through the holes so wiped the lids dry. Then i worried this might cause some unwanted contamination.
Any suggestions to avoid this or how to go about it?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Time Tourist]
    #25470074 - 09/18/18 02:02 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

it happens sometimes. As long as your jar isn't soaked inside it's fine, just wipe it off. Don't use this tek either thought bud. outdated as you can see in the comments above.

OfflineTime Tourist
curioser and curioser
Male User Gallery

Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #25470110 - 09/18/18 02:20 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Haven't done the lc part. Just did the classic brf tek starting from a bought spore syringe. Thanks for the advice though.

InvisibleTheUltimateBohab
Fat and Slobby
I'm a teapot

Loc: LV-426
Re: Magic mushroom growing for absolute beginners (a BRF tek for 2013) [Re: Time Tourist]
    #25473113 - 09/19/18 04:03 PM (5 years, 6 months ago)

Very helpful thank you

--------------------
*DISCLAIMER*
Everything I say on here is BULLSHIT!! I lie so I can kick it...

Offlinethebatterymagician
Stranger
    #26304460 - 11/07/19 08:42 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Hey y'all,

Does anyone know how an instant pot would change PC sterilization times? I believe most are rated for 11.6 psi, so I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this method.  I assume that it would just be added time in the PC.  Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules