Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: Whats the best grain as far as contam resistance? [Re: buu]
    #1837363 - 08/21/03 01:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What instructions are you following? Essentially, here are the main steps:

1) Soak 24 hours
2) Simmer 1-2 hours (don't let water boil out or get too mushy)
3) Drain an hour
4) Put in jars with tyvek or polyfill and PC for an hour or so
5) Let cool for a few hours, take jars out, shake them to distribute wet kernels
6) Innoculate

IM(Friend's)E following these steps regardless of what the popcorn "feels" like is succesfully. The popcorn post simmering is about as soft as it gets, and even then it's not really that soft at all, still pretty firm. And my friend gets excellent colonization with this.

Does this answer your question?

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Whats the best grain as far as contam resistance? [Re: kukusz]
    #1837586 - 08/21/03 02:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Contamination resistance is the wrong choice of words. How about less contamination prone? I would have to say that popcorn (or some form of corn) is by far the most forgiving of all the grains.

But, I think all of the problems encountered with all the different grains are related to improper water content and improper sterilization techniques. Any grain will resist contamination when prepared correctly, simply because there is no contamination present. So essentially there is nothing to resist. If you have massive failures using a type of grain, you need to examine your methods before you look to the substrate as the cause.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Invisiblebuu
katabatic

Loc: Denver
Re: Whats the best grain as far as contam resistance? [Re: kukusz]
    #1839369 - 08/22/03 12:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yes it does thank you and can i reboil and pc my corn or should i just use new popcorn im kinda cheap aka "broke"

Invisiblebuu
katabatic

Loc: Denver
Re: Whats the best grain as far as contam resistance? [Re: buu]
    #1847671 - 08/25/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well i bought more popcorn it's soaking now im going to soak like it said for 24 hours and boil 1-2 hours but what should it's consistency be like should be real soft and smashable?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags