Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
A few WBS questions...
    #1824368 - 08/17/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

In this hypothetical, lets assume that their are five half-gallon mason jars. Each was filled with WBS that had been simmered in water for a few hours. Some of the kernels exploded. The WBS was allowed to drain in a colendar for a few hours until no water dripped out. The WBS was added to the half-gallon jars in a manner that resulted in a light, fluffy mass of the WBS in the jars. The jars had a tyvek-style filter put over them then a lid with five holes driled in it, with one hole covered by a piece of HVAC tape. Four of the holes are drilled PF style while the fifth is in the center. The center hole is the one covered with tape. Inoculations were made only through this hole (as the tape was pulled back) so that the singular puncture in the sterile barrier was sealed with the tape. After loading and preparing the jars, they were sterilized at 20psi for 1h 30m. They were removed, shaken vigorously, then allowed to cool in a sterile chamber. Each was inoculated with a minumum of 2cc spore solution.

Day 4: Mycelia showing in four of the five jars.

Quesitons;
1) Does the fact that mycelia is growing already mean that the conditions in the jar are correct for mycealia growth? That is, is the presence of mycelia an acceptabel indicator that the moisture levels in the WBS are correct (at least in the jars that they are growing in)?

2) Will their be any negative effects from using WBS that had "cracked"? Usually the contam rate is 0% (probably from aseptic technique), and the barrier being used is far superior to Tyvek, so if contam rate is the biggest worry, I think I'll be safe.

3) How frequently should the jars be shaken?

Thanks for your input,pz

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegator00
memeber over 10 yrs

Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: lysergic]
    #1824385 - 08/17/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

what is wbs?

--------------------
Anything I say in the above post is a complete lie. The voices in my head tell me to say it. And to burn things. any pictures that are posted are found on google.

Offlinekukusz
Owner of belowhot monkey!

Loc: East Coast
Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: gator00]
    #1824438 - 08/17/03 10:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ROFL... great answer...

1) I would say yes.
2) Don't think so, you should be fine.
3) The best times to shake are after PCing (as you did), after innoculation, once you see some growth (say 10%) and that should be fine. Shaking too much won't really do anything except give your mycelium a headache. It sounds like a very good WBS endeavor on your part.

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (08/18/03 12:15 AM)

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: kukusz]
    #1824468 - 08/17/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

gator00 - Wild Bird Seed :smile:

Kukusz - you've eased my troubled mind, danke!

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlinetastyshroom
Mr.Shroom
Male

Loc: Washington
    #1824730 - 08/18/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i havnt shook mine in a while. am i allright?

--------------------
Perspective on life always changes

Offlinekukusz

Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: tastyshroom]
    #1824775 - 08/18/03 12:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you see growth, tasty? IME WBS requires the most shaking (versus popcorn), my friend has had jars that have colonized fully except for like the last bottom inch, and nothing he did ever made that part colonize. He blames it on not shaking enough immediately after innoculation. This is the most important shake IMO.

"I'd never hit a jar, but I'd shake the SHIT out of her!"

--------------------
All of my posts are for discussion purposes only. All posts concerning cultivation of mushrooms refer to legal gourmet mushrooms only. Yes, I support monkey-human relationships.

Edited by kukusz (08/18/03 12:19 AM)

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1834698 - 08/20/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My theoretical setup would involve shaking the jar as soon as mycelia growth showed, then wait until more showed, then shake again. I think that shaking every 3-5 days won't hurt it, and will spread around the mycelia. BTW, mycelia growing on WBS is very beautiful looking, I'd suggest everyoen trying it at least once :smile:

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1834803 - 08/20/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the trouble with such a large spawn of WBS is moister. My friend has done several large myco-bags and every time he has had to add water to it to keep the moister up, but if you add to much it all will ferment. And make sure it is completely sterile water or you will be growing contams. My friend has only grown with WBS so he is quite knowlegable about it.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: fee]
    #1834977 - 08/20/03 07:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I can't say this from experience, as I've only heard about experiments with WBS in mason jars, but I think that they are ideal.  You have, instead of a 5 lb mass to be colonized by the mycelia with numerous possibilities for variation in the substrate, a number of jars that are individually sterile and can be loaded with a substrate that can near guarantee variables are constant throughout.  I also believe that shaking dispurses the mycelia and allows for much faster growing than if the spores are just deposited into a large bag of sterile material.  Just my $.02US worth :smile:

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1835124 - 08/20/03 08:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I prepared a big bag with about 4 lbs. of WBS and it dried out real quick. I'm going to try it again though, because I think that I've figured out how to get the moisture content better this time. Also, I make my own filters to use in my ghetto oven bags and I think I've got a handle on how to make them better. It's still just experimenting for me so I can't really say what works.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1835499 - 08/20/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ek - Maybe mix in some vermiculte just for moisture retention?

Does anyone have thoughts on how frequently to shake WBS jars?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinekukusz

#1835977 - 08/21/03 01:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Shaking schedule that works excellent for AFOAF:

1) Immediately after PCing (to distribute kernels that are all soggy on the bottom) - this shake should be pretty vigorous, make sure the kernels stuck to the side get distributed.
2) After innocualtion to distribute the liquid mycelium, G2G, or spores
3) After about 10% colonization of you notice colonization is uneven, otherwise this is even unnecessary. My friend's buddy only does the first two shakes using a liquid mycelium (honey tek) and the jars colonize for spawning in almost exactly a week.

hope this helps...

--------------------

Anonymous

#1836729 - 08/21/03 10:08 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Adding the vermiculite is that thier will be too much moister to begin with. My friend has tried this and has only had failure. But I wish you good luck and if you get down a good formula on making huge WBS bags with good moister content please post it.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1836877 - 08/21/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fee said:
Adding the vermiculite is that thier will be too much moister to begin with. My friend has tried this and has only had failure. But I wish you good luck and if you get down a good formula on making huge WBS bags with good moister content please post it.

not necessarily so...half cup damp vermic thrown in, each jar cased separately

three jars worth first flush

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: A few WBS questions... [Re: houshroom]
    #1837039 - 08/21/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

houshroom - Holy shit! What did you case those bad boys in? Thats a beeeaauuttiiffull harvest :smile: Congradulations!

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Anonymous

#1837043 - 08/21/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Houshroom sweet. Was the verm sqeezed dry or even less than that? After I got to thinking about it even if the verm is on the drier side thats would work cause when the mycilium needs the water it would just suck it from the verm but until then the moister would just stay in the verm. RIGHT?? Oh and where those crumbled and cased or cased or even just birthed cause thats a sweet flush. And are those quart jars? 5 shrooms for you.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

#1837089 - 08/21/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if i remember right there was 8:1 verm:water by volume (not weight!). don't squeeze bc IME that compresses the verm too much just give it water slowly. they were crumbled and cased, with a thin layer of damp sterlized verm on the bottom, pile on the crumbled wbs, cased with ~60/40 tek. yes quart jars (easy preparation!)

edit: crap think that was 8:1 not 4:1

Edited by houshroom (08/21/03 11:59 AM)

Anonymous

#1837154 - 08/21/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

so 8 parts verm to 1 part water or 8 parts WBS to 1 part verm? Thanks for the info houshroom. Its advice my friend needed. He has done 1/2 quart jars the same way as you except the added verm at the begining with great succes. Thanks again

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

#1837203 - 08/21/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

follow Grains for Simple Minds then add the 8:1 verm water mix (that you did separately in a bowl). i wouldn't necessarliy do this if you plan on spawning to poo/straw, only if you're planning on casing it directly

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder