Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Yerba Mate drinkers?
    #1836852 - 08/21/03 12:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I just started drinking yerba mate because I wanted a subsitute for coffee. Unfortuntly, I purchased the tea bags and THEN read that it's not as good as the loose leaf in a gourd. It still tastes pretty good and gives me a slight boost of energy, but I'm looking for advice. Any good recipes or brands to recommend? I was eyeing up the yerba mate kit at bouncing bear, but $35 is a bit much to spend on a kit unless it's REALLY worth it. I'm also quite pleased that it's loaded with anti-oxicidents and other such good stuff.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: Yerba Mate drinkers? [Re: Twirling]
    #1836967 - 08/21/03 01:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ah, yes. Yerba Mate. My family is from Argentina so we all grew up drinking it. One of my favorites :smile:

no need for a kit. Just purchase a big bag of Yerba Mate (they have huge 3lbs bags available) from the grocery store (my grocery store carries it quite readily, as yours might too - just look around). As for brands, I havent noticed any difference between brands - just make sure it is imported from Argentina and that it looks relatively fresh (no dust on the bag :smile: ).

Gourds are nice, but not essential. Just make the tea.

If in the future you wish to get a gourd and bombilla, you can find them cheap on the internet for less than ten dollars. Just search around.

BBB really jacks up the price. 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1837006 - 08/21/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I havent drunk that in years, thanks for reminding me
i shall try to find some in my country :-)

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: Yerba Mate drinkers? [Re: Paid]
    #1837026 - 08/21/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Alrighty, I'll take a look around the health food store next time I go. The grocery stores don't carry any form of yerba mate. Thanks for the advice!

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineIts Pat
Don't OD dipshit nub.
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN...
    #1837905 - 08/21/03 05:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Funny, I just took a Trip down to Long Beach to purchase 3.5 kilos of Yerba Mate. Bought a New Gourd too, should have bouhgt a New Bombilla.

I love mate! It is far better than coffee and cafiene(sp?). Doesn't make me ultra nervous like coffee, last alot longer and taste better too.

The old hippie dead head who was the Network Admin at one of the accounting firms I use to work at introduced it to me. He was a tripper, followed The Dead around.

I recently turned one of my friends onto Mate. Being a Computer programmer, he's stays up into the wee hours of the morging.

Also, some energy drinks now have Mattiene(sp?) in them. Mattiene is a cousin of Cafiene, in the same group of drugs called Xanthines(sp?).

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Edited by Its Pat (08/21/03 05:51 PM)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Yerba Mate drinkers? [Re: Its Pat]
    #1838836 - 08/21/03 10:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mateine

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Yerba Mate drinkers? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1839875 - 08/22/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I actually have a gourd and a bombilla, but have yet to try the mate!  The place I ordered the kit from was unexpectedly sold out of mate at the time of purchase..  I was not aware it was sold at grocery stores, I'm definitely going to take a look around.  Thanks :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub