Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
For the love of all that's holy...
    #1835380 - 08/20/03 09:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

DO SOMETHING!

"What's he bitching about now, Bob?"
"Christ, Joe... I have no idea. He's always got something in his craw."
"Fuck it. Ignore him. Family Guy is on."

I believe I will be taking my leave of this forum in the near future. I just feel that I need to try to get somthing across to both the people whom I respect, as well as to those whom I respect a little less.

This fucking country is broken. It's broken bad. I don't know if it can be fixed, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the rest of my life trying really hard to do so.

I'm not even going to get into the Bush administration right now. Suffice it to say (for those of you who don't know where I stand), I think these people are the most corrupt, short-sighted, suckers of big-business cocks ever seen by this country, and if we actually live through 17 more months of their 'rule' in one piece, I'll be truly amazed. And do NOT get me started on the PNAC, the Carlysle Group, or any of the other 17 TAX PAYER FUNDED right wing think tanks in Washington.

Our economy is in shambles. "But Gern, the stock market is showing signs of recovery!" "Gern, it's really not all that bad! My Microsoft stock gained $1.17 last week!" Fuck you. Crawl your ass out of your plush little condo - if you're so lucky as to still have the same job you had 4 years ago - and have a look around this little country of ours. The federal guidelines for a family of 2 in respect to the poverty level is that they must make under $11,940 a year. Can you imagine living on that kind of money? Well, nearly 13% of the population of this country do.

"Well, they're just lazy. They could get good jobs if they wanted to."

If you believe that anyone, anywhere, can just up and get whatever kind of job they want, then you're goofy. More and more companies in the US are cutting jobs, slashing wages, and consolidating job titles than ever before, all the while receiving greater tax breaks, trade incentives, and international trade breaks than in our history. Fuck the people - the bottom line is the bottom line.

We live in a country where we have given the rights and powers of the individual to corporations - who, by way of having more money than any individual, actually have more power and rights than any individual - while at the same time, reducing and even eliminating the responsibility of the corporation to fairly treat the people who work to make them money in the first place.

We hide behind our "rights" far too often. The Patriot Act, the Victory Act - hell... even the Rave Act - are indicators of the loss of personal freedoms and infringement of a police state unheralded in our nation's history. Our "rights" sure are convenient when they apply to "us". It's your "right" as an American to live in a country where (you think) your 2nd amendment gives you the "right" to own any number of things that have only one purpose - to kill other people. Yah? Well, I think I have the "right" as an American to live in a country where I don't have to worry about the fact that we have about 12 times the murders with handguns than the next highest country in the first world, and about 120x more when viewed per capita. Who's "rights" are right?

There are classes in our high schools about Coca-Cola's marketing techniques. Kids are asked to come up with new marketing slogans for The Gap. Coke pays schools to have only Coke in the vending machines, without a penny of that going to the teachers. High school kids watch fucking TV an hour (or more) a day - thanks to Channel One - with extreeeeeeemely focused advertising interspersed within the "educational" programming; again, without a penny of those revenues going to the teachers.

We are coporate schills. Our very identities are etched from stone produced for us by Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Pepsi, Capri Sun, and GoGurt. And nobody seems to see a problem with this - hell... we only want to make our corporate pimps bigger, stronger, richer! Get a Nike Swoosh(tm) tattoo'd on your neck! Pay $15 for Tommy Hilfiger underwear (made by Hanes, by the way)! Gimme some Air Jordans! Why isn't there a Starbucks on this corner? Now I have to walk all the way across the street for my $5 cup of fucking coffee!

"Is he still talking?"
"Yah, I think so. Shuttup - Futurama is on now..."

So what's the point of this little rant? Fuck if I know. Oh - wait.. I do remember.

Do something. The litte intellectual exercise we all participate in here has it's place, I suppose - but I think it's a bit quixotic. I could list the people on this forum who agree with me, and those who don't. Who am I trying to convince? When I make a point, those who agree with me will agree with me, and those who usually don't, won't. Am I changing any minds? Any lives? Am I fucking doing ANYTHING? I'm starting to think not. I'm starting to think that I come here for a little ego boost - to prove to others just how fucking smart I am, and to get some approval from those I respect to that end. And I think if we're all honest with ourselves, that most of us will find that that's true to some extent.

So do something. Find something you believe in and leave your house, find other people who believe in it too, and work to make it happen. Find something you fucking hate, find other people who fucking hate it too, and go work your fool ass off to change it.

And I'm not just talking to my people - the "lefties", here. I'm talking to all of you. I don't claim to always be right, but I do claim to always do my damndest to do what's best for not only myself but the world I live in. I think many of you will find that when you get out into that world, some of your closely held views may change a bit. Hopefully, for the betterment of us all, instead of the betterment of your bank account, or the betterment of your status symbol SUV, or whatever.

Find something you care about. Change the world one street corner at a time.

But goddammit... please go do something.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1835397 - 08/20/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Bye.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblewingnutx

#1835414 - 08/20/03 09:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Carter is still eligible for a second term. That'd fix things!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1835415 - 08/20/03 09:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So this whole country is fucked. Whatcha gonna do about it?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: silversoul7]
    #1835426 - 08/20/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
So this whole country is fucked. Whatcha gonna do about it?

That's my point.
I don't know.
But I sure as hell am going to DO something.

What about you, SS7? How do you reconcile the feelings that you have (as you've posted about in the past) to this end? Are you politically active? Do you go to protests? Critical Mass bike rides? What? <- I'm not being a smartass... I'm genuinely curious.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1835433 - 08/20/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Bye.

Yah. That's a big surprise.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1835454 - 08/20/03 09:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The last protest I went to was back in March, shortly before the war in Iraq started. However, I frequently write letters to my Representative, who, of course, ignores them and sends back a pre-written letter that he sends to everyone who contacts him about the issue at hand. I also vote, but despite voting with the majority in 2000, Bush still managed to win. Have you read my "Fight or Flight" thread. This is essentially the issue I was addressing. I try my best to bring about change, but all my efforts seem pretty futile. I figure maybe I'll just go to Canada and wait for the U.S. to destroy itself(it's only a matter of time).

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1835458 - 08/20/03 09:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Bye.

Yah. That's a big surprise.

And what would you have me say? I'll miss you? I found you interesting? Informative? Enlightening? Charming?

Sorry but I can't say that any more than I'd expect to hear it from you.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1835468 - 08/20/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If you can't say anything nice...ah, shit! How's the rest of it go?

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1835470 - 08/20/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am starting a foundation to help send lefties to Canada. Perhaps we can help you with a grant :smile:

Gern, not bad for a opus post. Come on back when you get bored. I know you haven't left yet, because nobody can make an opus post and not check the responses.

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: wingnutx]
    #1835483 - 08/20/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No, no... I'll be taking my leave soon.  Not right away, of course :smile:

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1835490 - 08/20/03 09:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
If you can't say anything nice...ah, shit! How's the rest of it go?

Well that's what the bye was for, but he seemed unsatisfied with that.

Had he been, I'd have said nothing further.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

#1835493 - 08/20/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
The last protest I went to was back in March, shortly before the war in Iraq started.  However, I frequently write letters to my Representative, who, of course, ignores them and sends back a pre-written letter that he sends to everyone who contacts him about the issue at hand.

I hear that... that pisses me off to no end. But now that the legislative session has ended, our reps are back in town.  Now we can go bug them in person :smile:
Quote:

Have you read my "Fight or Flight" thread.  This is essentially the issue I was addressing.  I try my best to bring about change, but all my efforts seem pretty futile.

Yah - I followed it closely.  In fact, it devolved into LDS and someone else (Innvertigo, maybe?) yapping about what a pretentious bastard I am.

Oh... and I think that saying goes "If you can't say something nice, then shut your freaking pie-hole."  I could be wrong. 

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisiblewingnutx

#1835529 - 08/20/03 10:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My Rep. emails me right back.

My senator does the form letter thing.

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: wingnutx]
    #1835558 - 08/20/03 10:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I almost never hear back from Arlen Specter. Rick Santorum sends me those damn form letters - every now and then, there's one that has been hand crafted, but it's just the same placating pablum.

I never hear back from my house reps.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1835763 - 08/20/03 11:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I hear you brother!  Ironically enough, I too was planning on sending a "fuck this forum it's time to REALLY do something with my time" post in the next few days.

Beginning next week, I will actively be involved with the Green Party, and hope to do as much as possible for that organization.  The Green Party seems the most in line with my beleifs (ten key values of the Green Party).  They're even for the decriminalization of drugs.  Unfortunately, since the Green Party is against corporate control of Government, they don't take corporate bribes, and therefore don't have a lot of money.

This forum can be frustrating.  It seems like most of the arguments here go something like this:

Liberal:  "Bush is doing some terrible things"
Conservative:  "So what, Clinton did some terrible things"
Liberal:  "Ya, but Bush is in charge now"
Conservative:  "He could be doing worse" (gives example)
Liberal:  "But he should be doing better; the lesser of two evils is still evil"
Conservative:  "Shut up, hypocritical hater"

Hopefully, people will wake up and will learn that its ok to critisize your own Government if they're doing something wrong, and the "lesser of two evils" is still evil.  Even if we are changing people's attitudes, this forum doesn't reach too many people, and I think I can be more effective volunteering with the Green Party.

Ralph Nader

Best of luck to you!  It's awesome having your commentary here!  :thumbup:

Bush lovers beware, there is a growing movement against the Great:devil:Satin, both abroad and at home!!!    :sun: :sun: :sun:       

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Re: For the love of all that's holy... [Re: Cornholio]
    #1835906 - 08/21/03 12:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Right on, my brother.  One of the things I'm considering doing is founding a Green Party group here in my home county, as there currently isn't one.  At all.

You hit the nail on the head re my sentiments on this forum.  Like I said - it seems to be an interesting intellectual exercise at times, but ultimately pointless.

As a very wise man once said; "Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still a retard."

And I was even trying to motivate those whom I don't agree with into action, but as you can see from lds's witty banter, I doubt he read past "I believe I will be taking my leave of this forum in the near future."  I think that even [non-flame related adjective] people like him could make the world a better place if they just fought for something they believed in.

Cornie - seriously - best of luck to you in your efforts.  If I ever make it to Austin, I'll take you up on your beer offer. :smile:

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1836058 - 08/21/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
One of the things I'm considering doing is founding a Green Party group here in my home county, as there currently isn't one.  At all.

Do it man!  Get in now.  There's a LOT of interest in the Green Party, and Michael Moore is expected to release his new film "Fahrenheit 911" before the next elections, talking about the Bush Sr/Bin Laden connection, and why terrorists hate us (and it's NOT because "they hate freedom and democracy", as our lying president insists!)  Moore is an avid Green, and his film may generate a lot of new interest in the Party.
Quote:

Cornie - seriously - best of luck to you in your efforts.  If I ever make it to Austin, I'll take you up on your beer offer. :smile: 

I hope you make it sometime, buddy!  :stoned:   

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1836156 - 08/21/03 03:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

And I was even trying to motivate those whom I don't agree with into action, but as you can see from lds's witty banter, I doubt he read past "I believe I will be taking my leave of this forum in the near future."

Actually I try and read every word of every thread I open. Ocassionally I may miss one or two posts. I read every word of yours here. I don't think things are anywhere near as bad as you do.

Quote:

I think that even [non-flame related adjective] people like him could make the world a better place if they just fought for something they believed in.

It'd be pretty damn foolish to assume that because of my posting style and because my beliefs don't nicely mesh with yours, that I don't.

But you see, it's because of posts like this that I'll be tear free when you do decide to leave.

Perhaps when the day comes you realize that we aren't, and never will be GB clones, you'd be a more interesting poster. While there are many who post here I strongly disagree with, they at least have a bit of style that you, and sometimes I, lack.

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1836491 - 08/21/03 08:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think that even [non-flame related adjective] people like him could make the world a better place if they just fought for something they believed in.

I do fight for what I believe in, it just isn't the same thing you believe in. I'll fight literally if I have to.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom