Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeltron
Stoned Shroomer-.-

Loc: Colorado
ID for lawn shrooms plz
    #1835165 - 08/20/03 10:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

found these at local high school

This one was tall and got bigger torwards the bottom

This one is yellow and round no stem

Underside of that one

--------------------
Host: I've heard whispers about the financial support your government receives from the drug industry.
Peruvian: Well, the irony of this, of course, is that this money, which is in the billions, is coming from your country. You see, you are the major purchaser of our national product, which is of course cocaine.
Host: On one hand, you're saying the United States government is spending millions of dollars to eliminate the flow of drugs onto our streets. At the same time, we are doing business with the very same goverment that is flooding our streets with cocaine.
Peruvian: Mmm-hmm, si, si. Let me show you a few other characters that are involved in this tragic comedy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID for lawn shrooms plz [Re: deltron]
    #1835286 - 08/20/03 10:52 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That first one is in such poor shape that I can't confirm from the photo that it's a mushroom, let alone what kind. It's certainly past it's eat-by date, and may be past its identify-by date. If you want an ID on it you'll need to provide a description (see the sticky threads in this forum for details). A spore print is likely to be important in the ID.

The second one sounds like a puffball or earthball. Cut it in half from top to bottom and let us see what the inside looks like. Also let us know if it's tough to cut or it changes color (bruises) or has a distinctive odor.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedeltron
Stoned Shroomer-.-

#1835331 - 08/20/03 11:03 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

there i cut it in half

it smelled kind of like mushrooms you can get at store

--------------------
Host: I've heard whispers about the financial support your government receives from the drug industry.
Peruvian: Well, the irony of this, of course, is that this money, which is in the billions, is coming from your country. You see, you are the major purchaser of our national product, which is of course cocaine.
Host: On one hand, you're saying the United States government is spending millions of dollars to eliminate the flow of drugs onto our streets. At the same time, we are doing business with the very same goverment that is flooding our streets with cocaine.
Peruvian: Mmm-hmm, si, si. Let me show you a few other characters that are involved in this tragic comedy.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1835388 - 08/20/03 11:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

That's a puffball, probably from the genus Calvatia. The fact that it's white all the way through means it's still good to eat. They're generally sliced and fried. They don't have a strong flavor, and the texture is sort of like eggplant, but they're OK. I can't tell how big your puffball is, but I've seen them up to roughly basketball size, and I've seen photographs of specimens much bigger than that.

I note from your post in my thread about the CMS Mushroom Fair that you missed it, and your location says you're from Colorado. We have a Fair every year in August, so watch for it next year. I put announcements in the Gathering Forum for every CMS meeting and the Fair. Maybe you can make it next year.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedeltron
Stoned Shroomer-.-

Re: ID for lawn shrooms plz [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1835446 - 08/20/03 11:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

its about the size fo a half dolar

i just ate it and my toungue turned green for osme reason and now im feeling what kinda feels like the start of a trip

do you think its gonna make me trip?

--------------------

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1835506 - 08/20/03 11:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You ate the puffball or the other mushroom? By the way, neither will make you trip, and the first may be poisonous.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1835720 - 08/21/03 01:01 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You did cook it, didn't you?

No wild mushroom should be eaten raw. There are a number of edible mushrooms that are poisonous if eaten raw or undercooked.

Having your tongue turn green isn't a symptom of any kind of mushroom poisoning I've ever heard of. If you get some sort of mushroom poisoning, it'll almost certainly consist of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The main concern is loss of fluids resulting in dehydration.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID for lawn shrooms plz [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1835740 - 08/21/03 01:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the green toung is odd. perhaps some sort of dye like that found in some polypores, but i've never heard of anything like it in any puffball.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

Re: ID for lawn shrooms plz [Re: canid]
    #1835877 - 08/21/03 02:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Most of the puffballs ive seen around my house have green spores, could the color have changed from white to green or something?

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID for lawn shrooms plz [Re: ]
    #1836054 - 08/21/03 03:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

there is no chance that they sporulated in the time between cooking and eating.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification