Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
No story here... move along...
    #1834763 - 08/20/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110003883

The facts in articles like this get no exposure in the mainstream press, because they are boring.

Or is it that they give no opportunity for America-bashing? Decide for yourselves.

I just thought all those who proudly proclaim themselves to be open-minded about things might enjoy getting information from someone who is actually on the scene and has no personal axe to grind.

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: No story here... move along... [Re: Phred]
    #1834812 - 08/20/03 08:58 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Or perhaps it's because conflict gets more ratings than peace? They're talking about an area of Iraq that we're having no trouble with. Therefore, we need not be concerned about that area. However, there is another area of Iraq where our soldiers are getting killed on a regular basis, and that, I believe, is a bit more newsworthy than "Hey, look! These people over here like us!"

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: No story here... move along... [Re: silversoul7]
    #1834917 - 08/20/03 09:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

silversoul7 writes:

Or perhaps it's because conflict gets more ratings than peace?

Not always. For example, I saw several articles from several sources commenting on the lack of crime during the recent blackout. Clearly the editors found the lack of conflict newsworthy.

However, there is another area of Iraq where our soldiers are getting killed on a regular basis, and that, I believe, is a bit more newsworthy than "Hey, look! These people over here like us!"

The thing is, most of the people over there do "like us". That is far from the first article I have come across in that vein, just the first I have bothered to link.

The press, by commenting exclusively (or nearly so) on the problems and neglecting completely (or nearly so) the accomplishments, is deliberately portraying a distorted reality to the world. This is of course nothing new and is to be expected. The press is the press, after all.

I just wanted to point out that the "reality" the press sells is at best a small fragment of reality. Since so many here pride themselves on being open-minded (or at least expend a considerable amount of time castigating those they perceive to be close-minded) I thought I would provide an opportunity for them to be even more open-minded.

*shrugs*

So call me naive.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1834933 - 08/20/03 09:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I just wanted to point out that the "reality" the press sells is at best a small fragment of reality.

I agree, but this has more to do with ratings than with bias.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1835083 - 08/20/03 10:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
The facts in articles like this get no exposure in the mainstream press, because they are boring.

Or is it that they give no opportunity for America-bashing? Decide for yourselves.

On the one hand, I think it would be good if newspapers printed everything, including the "boring" stuff. On the other hand, who has time to read a paper that's three inches thick? Personally, I would be interested in seeing more articles like this, because it's relevant to understanding the entire situation. But it probably doesn't sell papers to mainstream Americans, so most papers avoid it.

To imply that people want news that allows them to bash America I believe is ridiculous (to say the least). I am one the people who "bashes" America for the war in Iraq, but it's not because I like to bash America, it's because American lives are being lost and tax dollars are being wasted on an unconstitutional war.
True, Iraq is happy that Saddam is out. But we have a habit of justifying our evil actions with a "lesser of two evils" justification. It's time to let our troops go home and let the UN take care of this mess, which is what the international community wants, and what most Iraqis want.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Re: No story here... move along... [Re: Cornholio]
    #1835241 - 08/20/03 10:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

There's no doubt in my mind that there are places in Iraq where our occupation is having a positive effect on the general populace. I hope to hell it's all true; the more quickly we can restore peace and get the fuck out of there (which is not going to happen, by the way), the less $$ we spend on the effort, and the fewer soldier that will be kilt.

I agree with Cornie - while I may bash our policies and our "president", it gives me no great comfort to do so. It seems to me that too few people are willing to look at that "bashing" for what it is intended to be - an attempt at getting the truth out through the incessant background noise of propaganda and rhetoric.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlinewingnutx
    #1835255 - 08/20/03 10:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

A pal of mine in Baghdad tells me that the people that actually live in the slum neighborhood he patrols are very friendly and helpful, but they still get people driving through from other areas throwing grenades and shooting at Americans.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion