Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand * 1
    #18344692 - 05/30/13 05:21 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

source.

Quote:

By Jonathan Kaminsky

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A former Microsoft executive plans to create the first U.S. national marijuana brand, with cannabis he hopes to eventually import legally from Mexico, and said he was kicking off his business by acquiring medical pot dispensaries in three U.S. states.

Jamen Shively, a former Microsoft corporate strategy manager, said he envisions his Seattle-based enterprise becoming the leader in both recreational and medical cannabis - much like Starbucks is the dominant name in coffee, he said.

Shively, 45, whose six years at Microsoft ended in 2009, said he was soliciting investors for $10 million in start-up money.

The use, sale and possession of marijuana remains illegal in the United States under federal law. Two U.S. states have, however, legalized recreational marijuana use and are among 18 states that allow it for medical use.

"It's a giant market in search of a brand," Shively said of the marijuana industry. "We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide."

A 2005 United Nations report estimated the global marijuana trade to be valued at $142 billion. http://www.unodc.org/pdf/WDR_2005/volume_1_web.pdf

Washington state and Colorado became the first two U.S. states to legalize recreational marijuana when voters approved legalization in November.

Shively laid out his plans, along with his vision for a future in which marijuana will be imported from Mexico, at a Thursday news conference in downtown Seattle.

Joining him was former Mexican President Vicente Fox, a longtime Shively acquaintance who has been an advocate of decriminalizing marijuana. Fox said he was there to show his support for Shively's company but has no financial stake in it.

"What a difference it makes to have Jamen here sitting at my side instead of Chapo Guzman," said Fox, referring to the fact he would rather see Shively selling marijuana legally than the Mexican drug kingpin selling it illegally. "This is the story that has begun to be written here."

Shively told Reuters he hoped Fox would serve an advisory role in his enterprise, dubbed Diego Pellicer after Shively's hemp-producing great grandfather.

The sale of cannabis or marijuana remains illegal in much of the world although countries mainly in Europe and the Americas have decriminalized the possession of small quantities of it. A larger number of countries have decriminalized or legalized cannabis for medical use.

SKEPTICISM

Shively acknowledges that his business plans conflict with U.S. federal law and are complicated by regulations in both Washington state and Colorado. He said he is interested in buying dispensaries that comply with local and state rules and are less likely to attract the scrutiny of authorities.

"If they want to come talk to me, I'll be delighted to meet with them," he said of federal officials. "I'll tell them everything that we're doing and show them all our books."

Washington state's marijuana consultant, Mark Kleiman, said he was skeptical of Shively's plans, and feared that the businessman is seeking to profit off others' addiction.

"It's very hard for me to understand why anybody seriously interested in being in the marijuana business, which after all is against the federal law, would so publicly announce his conspiracy to break that law," said Kleiman, a professor of public policy at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Emily Langlie, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Seattle, referred questions to the Department of Justice headquarters. Department officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Washington state Representative Reuven Carlyle, a Seattle Democrat, sees promise in Shively's initiative. Any industry emerging from the shadows will inevitably undergo consolidation - and thereby simplify the task of regulators, he said.

"The fact that an entrepreneur is publicly pushing the envelope around a branding and value-based pricing opportunity, I would say that's in the water in Seattle," said Carlyle, chairman of the House Finance Committee. "That's in our DNA ... We could have predicted that as much as the rain."

Shively said he has already acquired the rights to the Northwest Patient Resource Center, a medical marijuana operation that includes two Seattle store fronts. He added that he was close to acquiring another dispensary in Colorado, as well as two more each in Washington state and California, with the owners given the option to retain a stake in their businesses.

"We've created the first risk-mitigated vehicles for investing directly in this business opportunity," he said.

Shively said he ultimately plans to create separate medical and recreational-use marijuana brands. Shively said he also plans to launch a study of the effectiveness of concentrated cannabis oil in the treatment of cancer and other illnesses.

(Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Andrew Hay)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerawrrawr
Stranger
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: trampis] * 2
    #18344773 - 05/30/13 05:37 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I hope this guy is immediately arrested for conspiracy to produce and conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance.  If he isn't, it will show the huge divide between normal people and people who are exempt from the law.  It is absolutely absurd to have honest marijuana producers and distributors prosecuted and incarcerated while this jerk off attempts to monopolize marijuana, as evidenced by the following statement:
"We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide."

40% of the worlwide demand for marijuana?  Fuck this guy.

Edited by rawrrawr (05/30/13 05:38 PM)

OfflineLeeHarvOz
Homie
Male User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: rawrrawr] * 2
    #18344794 - 05/30/13 05:41 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

who the fuck is gunna buy this guys shitty shwag anyway?

--------------------

Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: LeeHarvOz] * 1
    #18344841 - 05/30/13 05:49 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, why buy shitty Mexican weed when there is plenty of awesome homegrown. . . ?

Dude needs to think about creating jobs in the U.S., but instead he takes the cheap corporate route.

I'm all for someone stepping up and distributing lots of good weed, but this guy has the wrong intentions.

Offlinerawrrawr
Stranger
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: LeeHarvOz] * 3
    #18344938 - 05/30/13 06:03 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LeeHarvOz said:

Quote:

LeeHarvOz said:

You think a former Microsoft executive won't know how to produce super high-quality product out of Mexico? My condolences to you and your assumptions, dear sir.

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: rawrrawr] * 2
    #18345026 - 05/30/13 06:17 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rawrrawr said:
I hope this guy is immediately arrested for conspiracy to produce and conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance.  If he isn't, it will show the huge divide between normal people and people who are exempt from the law.  It is absolutely absurd to have honest marijuana producers and distributors prosecuted and incarcerated while this jerk off attempts to monopolize marijuana, as evidenced by the following statement:
"We would be happy if we get 40 percent of it worldwide."

40% of the worlwide demand for marijuana?  Fuck this guy.

Oh no a business man trying to take up as much of the market in his industry as possible!! What kind of person would do that? He should be shot! /sarcam

Seriously though your getting to worked up. Of course he'd love to take 40% of the market what entrepreneur wouldn't? What do you expect him to say he wants less? Just saying relax, he's really not the devil you make him out to be at least from this article. It's not fair to automatically assume the worst of someone just cause there a corporate exec. Hoping he gets arrested for something like that is just asinine, with that line of thinking your essentially suggesting anyone who tries to legally do the best they can at a business should be put in jail.

Invisibletrampis
mad hatter
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Mycjunky]
    #18345278 - 05/30/13 06:55 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure the drug cartels will welcome his growing endeavors :rolleyes:

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: trampis]
    #18345797 - 05/30/13 08:21 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

eventually import legally from Mexico

no no no NO NO NO YUCK, you asshole. talk about taking advantage of something you know nothing about that means the world to other people only to make a profit off of it.

--------------------
:dancingbear:

SonicTitan said:
"Id rail the same amount of come to crack"

https://soundcloud.com/matty_dread

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShrillGoldenChimpanzee-size_restricted.gif

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: tealeaf]
    #18345815 - 05/30/13 08:24 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

You think a former Microsoft executive won't know how to produce super high-quality product out of Mexico

Yes. Why do you think hes planning on importing from Mexico when he is located Seattle, which is right next to Canada. Im guessing this guy could care less about the quality and more about how much people are willing to pay

--------------------

SonicTitan said:

InvisibleAhab McBathsalts
OTD Windmill Administrator
Other User Gallery Ultimate Champion: Blackjack

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wind Turbine, AB Flag
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: tealeaf]
    #18345883 - 05/30/13 08:36 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

This is a brilliant idea.

Pot is essentially an unbranded commodity right now like unlabeled oil, flour, or gold. No one really cares where it came from as long as the quality is decent and the price is ok.

If you are able to put a brand name on it and ensure that there is a premium product being distributed under your brand, you can charge more and grow a reliable customer base. Sure you can buy the store brand shit soda, but why not get the Coca-Cola Classic.

Just like in American Gangster.

This one will be one to watch if it ever goes public down the road. Although I wouldn't be surprised if this company would be a take over target for domestic cigarette companies in order to build their revenue stream, plus they already have the best marketing and legal teams in industry today.

--------------------
"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's going to die."

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #18345893 - 05/30/13 08:37 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Sell it in prerolled joints in cigarettes packs and call it Weedston's

--------------------

SonicTitan said:

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: tealeaf] * 1
    #18345901 - 05/30/13 08:39 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Captain Iron Beard's Pirate Smokes.

"Brand names mean something, Nicky. Consumers rely on them to know what they’re getting. They know the company isn’t going to try to fool them with an inferior product. They buy a Ford, they know they’re gonna get a Ford. Not a fuckin' Datsun. Blue Magic that's a brand name; Like Pepsi, that's a brand name. I stand behind it, I guarantee it. They know that even if they don’t know me any more than they know the chairman of General Mills." - Frank Lucas, American Gangster.

--------------------

Edited by Ahab McBathsalts (05/30/13 08:45 PM)

Offlinelaruta_21
twat tickler
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Ahab McBathsalts]
    #18345918 - 05/30/13 08:42 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Big money stuff like this is what is going to change the laws people so by all means I hope this guy is successful

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: laruta_21] * 1
    #18345979 - 05/30/13 08:55 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

not that I'm in any way condoning what this guy's doing, but I hear there's some really good weed down in Mexico.  So-calledlegacy strains that have been passed down for generations, rather than heavily bred medical strains.  maybe not as potent, but very unique.  Good sativas.  I wanna get me some.  As for his business, eh, as long as he doesn't use harsh chemicals and destroy ecosystems I'm down.  Good luck getting on board with the cartels and Feds though.

OfflineMrShroom
Spectral

Loc: Flag
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: screamphilling] * 1
    #18346063 - 05/30/13 09:08 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

lol microsoft sucks and so doesn't mexican bud.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: MrShroom]
    #18346106 - 05/30/13 09:14 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Software is boring these guys probably smoke enough:lol:

OfflineTerratic

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Konyap]
    #18347558 - 05/31/13 03:16 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

The guy is free to try to corner the market, though, while he has the opportunity.

I hope he is willing to acknowledge that a lot of cannabis users intensely dislike and condemn greedy people who do that sort of thing! On the other hand, as Laruta_21 said, these types of projects do a lot to aid decriminalization and legalization—at the expense of other forms of personal freedom, of course.

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Terratic] * 1
    #18348135 - 05/31/13 08:29 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

as much as i hate what this guy is doing, we need people like him to be pushing for the rest of us. if i walk up to the capital and demand legal weed, ill get laughed at. this guy, "hey im an old executive from Microsoft and id like to talk to you about legalization and taxation.

i wont buy this potentially shitty product but for someone with power like this, it is somewhat of a positive direction if you dont think about the money.

fyi, i hope this dude is a stoner, nothng like having someone sell you something when they have no idea about it

--------------------

SonicTitan said:

OfflineMrShroom
Spectral

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: tealeaf] * 1
    #18348857 - 05/31/13 12:11 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tealeaf said:
as much as i hate what this guy is doing, we need people like him to be pushing for the rest of us. if i walk up to the capital and demand legal weed, ill get laughed at. this guy, "hey im an old executive from Microsoft and id like to talk to you about legalization and taxation.

i wont buy this potentially shitty product but for someone with power like this, it is somewhat of a positive direction if you dont think about the money.

fyi, i hope this dude is a stoner, nothng like having someone sell you something when they have no idea about it

The problem is he plans on importing it from mexico. We should support USA grown bud. This guy is in it for a profit, and not the love of cannabis, so no I won't support a guy from trying to import mexican weed.

OfflineShroom_i
Gatherer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Zone Six (6)
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: rawrrawr]
    #18349318 - 05/31/13 02:00 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rawrrawr said:
Quote:

LeeHarvOz said:

Quote:

LeeHarvOz said:

You think a former Microsoft executive won't know how to produce super high-quality product out of Mexico? My condolences to you and your assumptions, dear sir.

Because Microsoft exec's underwent paid training in Cross Country Hydroponic's as interns?

Oh wait, that's right, they're completely unrelated subjects. :aweshit:

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said:
[quote]destructo_low said:
Prisoner's posts by percentage.

Smart and witty - 9.9999922409044%

Kind and caring - 0.0000077590956%
[/quote]

worthy of a facepalm - 90%[/quote]

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Shroom_i]
    #18349359 - 05/31/13 02:09 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

He doesn't have to grow it himself he can hire people to do that. Seriously it's not like it's hard.

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Shroom_i]
    #18349749 - 05/31/13 04:06 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I think you hippies are missing the point.

He's an executive that will HIRE growers and probably buy out successful existing dispensaries and stores and market them under his brand. They will build a uniform store chain across many locations with a superior product. Think Starbucks. That's how branding products work.

He won't be actually growing the shit. You think the Starbucks CEO makes coffee during the summers? But he'll hire some of the best mom and pop growers and put them in charge of huge locations.

Absolutely there will be local guys that can make smokables that will be superior to the corporate brand. But I am almost certain the corporate brand will be able to take advantage of economies of scale, have a more consistent product that is more widely available.

--------------------

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
 User Gallery

#18349768 - 05/31/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

then folks will be like, "$10 for a fucking pre-roll?".  I'll get one at Circle K.. tastes just as good if not better.  Hell they got that new weed bar with custom flavorings..

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: screamphilling]
    #18350004 - 05/31/13 05:26 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Again, missing Marketing 101.

Businesses sell goods that consumers want at a reasonable price, or they will go out of business. Match consumer's wants with products for a reasonable profit.

--------------------

OfflineMrShroom
Spectral

Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: Ahab McBathsalts] * 2
    #18350230 - 05/31/13 06:39 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Ahab McBathsalts said:
I think you hippies are missing the point.

He's an executive that will HIRE growers and probably buy out successful existing dispensaries and stores and market them under his brand. They will build a uniform store chain across many locations with a superior product. Think Starbucks. That's how branding products work.

He won't be actually growing the shit. You think the Starbucks CEO makes coffee during the summers? But he'll hire some of the best mom and pop growers and put them in charge of huge locations.

Absolutely there will be local guys that can make smokables that will be superior to the corporate brand. But I am almost certain the corporate brand will be able to take advantage of economies of scale, have a more consistent product that is more widely available.

Not a hippy (you just say that as an insult for people that don't agree with you)  and sorry I don't want mexican bud imported by some x microsoft douche bag.  Rather support mom and pop growers than big business walmart growers.

OfflineShroom_i
Gatherer
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Zone Six (6)
Re: Ex-Microsoft manager plans to create first U.S. marijuana brand [Re: MrShroom]
    #18353293 - 06/01/13 12:04 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

If it hasn't been individually nurtured, monitored, and inspected during cultivation/curing It's not worth making it "The Brand"

--------------------
Prisoner#1 said:
[quote]destructo_low said:
Prisoner's posts by percentage.

Smart and witty - 9.9999922409044%

Kind and caring - 0.0000077590956%
[/quote]

worthy of a facepalm - 90%[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom