Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible22Carat
I'm a teapot

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: iAmNothing]
    #18344054 - 05/30/13 03:23 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

That last statement is true, and I somewhat agree that the self help industry is money hungry.
So... what's your point?
Self help books still help some people better themselves while they have fun doing it.(Something we have determined is not selfish.)

@Uzziel: Reading about a life experience and experiencing one first hand are two completely different animals.
So, I get what he's saying.

--------------------

Edited by 22Carat (05/30/13 03:24 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineiAmNothing
Mr.Nobody

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: Uzziel]
    #18344074 - 05/30/13 03:26 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Uzziel said:
That is an obvious logic fallacy... as self help books come from real life experiences a lot of the time.

What is your point?

My point is that it's not the readers experiences, it's the writer of the book that have experienced those things.

Real life experiences will ALWAYS be better at teaching a lesson then some useless book that you have to memorize.

--------------------
No name, no personality, No talents, No hobbies, No goals, No dreams, No memories, No thoughts, No expectations, No knowledge, No intelligence, No past, No future.

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: iAmNothing]
    #18344083 - 05/30/13 03:28 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

So you can't really learn anything from other people? Good luck with that. Sounds like a rocky road.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

OfflineiAmNothing
Mr.Nobody

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: nicechrisman]
    #18344095 - 05/30/13 03:29 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nicechrisman said:
So you can't really learn anything from other people? Good luck with that. Sounds like a rocky road.

You can listen and appreciate the advice but it's gonna be lost unless you memorize it for some stupid reason.

Real lessons come from your own real life experiences.

--------------------
No name, no personality, No talents, No hobbies, No goals, No dreams, No memories, No thoughts, No expectations, No knowledge, No intelligence, No past, No future.

InvisibleModestMouse
IM WALKIN ON SUNSHINE
 User Gallery

Loc: Upstate
    #18344112 - 05/30/13 03:32 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know how I'd be more surprised:

Op is revealed to be robot
Op is revealed to be human

--------------------
Anyone got a lowpass filter in this biiiiash?

Edited by ModestMouse (05/30/13 03:33 PM)

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
    #18344113 - 05/30/13 03:32 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Nope, there is loads you can learn from others.

--------------------

OfflineiAmNothing
Mr.Nobody

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: The Vapor]
    #18344117 - 05/30/13 03:33 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Vapor said:
Nope, there is loads you can learn from others.

Enlighten me oh wise one...

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#18344119 - 05/30/13 03:33 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

What I've found is that when I was younger and hadn't had very many real life situations, I didn't place much value in self help books and that sort of thing. Now that I'm older and have had my ass kicked around quite a few times by life, I find that many other people have had similar experiences. Sometimes their advice is helpful, and sometimes it's just nice to hear from others who have gone through similar things.

--------------------

John C. Lily

Invisible22Carat
I'm a teapot

#18344120 - 05/30/13 03:33 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

iAmNothing said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:
That is an obvious logic fallacy... as self help books come from real life experiences a lot of the time.

What is your point?

My point is that it's not the readers experiences, it's the writer of the book that have experienced those things.

Real life experiences will ALWAYS be better at teaching a lesson then some useless book that you have to memorize.

In what way are self help books useless?
Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" teaches you exactly what it claims.
Where is the problem here?
And don't give me that "everyone is different" crap.
People are indeed different, but we all have a similar psychology.
This is a semi-psychological discussion regarding the usefulness of self help books in bettering a person mentally, therefore, the prior statement doesn't hold true.

You do know everything in your head has been memorized, right?
Memorization is key to learning anything.

--------------------

OfflineiAmNothing
Mr.Nobody

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: 22Carat]
    #18344135 - 05/30/13 03:36 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

22Karot said:
Quote:

iAmNothing said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

What is your point?

Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" teaches you exactly what it claims.
This is a semi-psychological discussion regarding the usefulness of self help books in bettering a person mentally, therefore, the prior statement doesn't hold true.

Everyone isn't different, everyone is exactly the same, nobody is special or unique in any way.

Yeah, memory is everything and memorizing books can be useful but it's not your information, your experiences, your words, your logic, your intelligence, your knowledge, it's not you.

Self-Help books are about telling you that ''You are not good enough'', it's pure mental masturbation.

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#18344140 - 05/30/13 03:37 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

So what's wrong with masturbation if I enjoy it?

--------------------

John C. Lily

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
    #18344142 - 05/30/13 03:37 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

iAmNothing said:
Quote:

22Karot said:
Quote:

iAmNothing said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

What is your point?

Everyone isn't different, everyone is exactly the same, nobody is special or unique in any way.

Yeah, memory is everything and memorizing books can be useful but it's not your information, your experiences, your words, your logic, your intelligence, your knowledge, it's not you.

Self-Help books are about telling you that ''You are not good enough'', it's pure mental masturbation.

Reading a book and internalizing some of what it has to offer is part of your experiences.

:facepalm:

--------------------

Invisible22Carat
I'm a teapot

#18344155 - 05/30/13 03:40 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

So, you learned English right?
But it's not your language, maybe you should stop speaking it.

Maybe everything learned in school shouldn't be taught because they aren't the individuals subjects.

Maybe psychology, biology, chemistry, and hell even mycology is false because you didn't discover it.

Your logic is pretty erroneous.

Also, if everyone is the same, shouldn't we all obtain the same lessons, have the same ideas, etc.?
That statement alone disproves your own idea.

--------------------

Edited by 22Carat (05/30/13 03:54 PM)

OfflineUzziel
O_o

#18344187 - 05/30/13 03:46 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

iAmNothing said:
Quote:

Uzziel said:

What is your point?

I'd like to see how well you do in a biotech lab without any prior readings.

Oh yeah, you'd fuck it all up and get fired instantly. :lol:

Logic fallacies coming out of your ass.

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: iAmNothing] * 1
    #18344191 - 05/30/13 03:47 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I totally remember being 19 and thinking I knew everything I needed to know about everything.

--------------------

John C. Lily

InvisiblePsychonomic
Stranger

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: nicechrisman]
    #18344212 - 05/30/13 03:52 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Wow this troll thread made it to 5 pages.  :pipesmoke:

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: Why are people so obsessed with self-improvement and reading books? It's pointless [Re: Psychonomic]
    #18344220 - 05/30/13 03:53 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Hey man he didn't do it by himself, we are feeding the troll and don't you forget it :crankey:

OfflineiAmNothing
Mr.Nobody

#18344248 - 05/30/13 03:58 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nicechrisman said:
So what's wrong with masturbation if I enjoy it?

Quote:

nicechrisman said:
I totally remember being 19 and thinking I knew everything I needed to know about everything.

I don't know anything about anything, i am worthless and i won't be delusional about it.

Self-Help books = 'You are brainwashed to believe that you are not good enough' 'you are not complete or perfect or content' it's the never ending cycle of mentally masturbating, it's useless and will never find happiness from it.

I support reading books when bored or preparing yourself for something important, but to actually read everything and take everything an author says seriously is just stupid.

Books are great but don't act like you are somehow more intelligent or superior just because you read because and have learned the ability to memorize every single word and use it as your own.

This is an perfect example of pseudo-intellectuals:

--------------------

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#18344266 - 05/30/13 04:02 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

You act as if all "self help" books are written by one corporation or something. There are many different authors from all different situations and angles who have written books about their experiences. Some of these are categorized as "self help". Some have great wisdom to share, some are BS. It's really as simple as that IMO

--------------------

John C. Lily

Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

#18344278 - 05/30/13 04:04 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

OP, I get that you're going through an existential phase, even if there is nothing after death that does not mean that the world is not a fantastically beautiful and culturally rich place and that you cannot spend your life exploring it and learning from it, it'll enhance your view of things and make your existence a more enjoyable one and the world an even more curious place to live in.

You should probably get high and watch I Heart Huckabees :rofl:, I feel like you'd dig the existential vibes.

edit:

Edited by pirate-blues (05/30/13 04:06 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom