Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSenovio
Need HELP!!!! MYCELIUM SPAWNED!!!!
    #1831915 - 08/19/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I need help guyz and galz. I have been following the bulk neglect faq, and am now at the point to where I have a 2'x2' box full of wheatstraw, and perfectly aged cow dung. I mean, this stuff smelled earthy as HELL! Layered wheatstraw and dung with mycelium spawned with birdseed. Top layer of nothing but dung around 3/4" thick. Sprinkled generous portion of birdseed spawned mycelium on top. This mycelium was beautifully rhizomorphic. It just seemed really strong. Has been 5 days, and about 2/3 of top has been colonized. A lazily perforated sheet of plastic covers the box. The mycelium still looks REALLY healthy. But there are huge droplets of water all over the mycelium. Is this going to be a problem? There are some places where the water has puddled on the mycelium. I have not sprayed the mycelium at all. From what I know, the spraying is saved for the casing stage. I need to know whether the puddles of water droplets will affect the mycelium. There were about 3 minute specks of blueness on the mycelium, which may have been bruising, but I sprayed them down with some 3% peroxide solution. So hopefully, they will not be a problem. I have developed an increasing paranoia about this, as this is my first ever grow attempt. Everything has fallen into place and has gone smoothly. Let me know if I am just trippin, or whether this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. If you could advise me of the appropriate actions that need to take place, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSenovio
Re: Need HELP!!!! MYCELIUM SPAWNED!!!! [Re: Senovio]
    #1832447 - 08/20/03 05:39 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

?

OfflineSenovio
    #1833428 - 08/20/03 12:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

anyone?

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1833438 - 08/20/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you'll be fine. isn't the point of the "neglect" tek to "neglect" it and leave it alone? is this outdoor or indoor?

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1833474 - 08/20/03 12:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

so the top layer is the spawned birdseed? this shouldn't be. if this is indoor, I suggest providing a terrarium which has more air space for the moisture from the poo and everything else to evaporate a little. how does the top look? It sounds as if it needs a casing layer, the blueing sounds like typical bruising. you can try to sop up a little bit of the excess moisture with clean paper towels but this could introduce contams. I'd apply a 50/50 casing, incubate a little till the mycelia begin to poke up through the casing layer then induce fruiting conditions.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineSenovio
Re: Need HELP!!!! MYCELIUM SPAWNED!!!! [Re: soochi]
    #1834386 - 08/20/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lol. Well, what I gathered from the bulk neglect tek, was that you could still grow a large amount of mushrooms, w/o being overly clean/cautious. The box is in my closet. The top layer is 3/4" inch of nothing but cow dung. Whereas the layers underneath are dung/straw with the birdseed mixed in. The top layer of dung has the spawned birdseed sprinkled over it.I'm not sure if you guys have read the bulk neglect report, if you haven't, do a serch with the keywords-bulk neglect- i have followed that scenario, and everything has gone fine so far. I'm just worried about the water on the mycelium. From my understanding, when you have the casing layer on the substrate, you don't want to water it too much. As it can damage the mycelium. I've never seen any info on the bulk substrate having too much moisture. Basically, in my situation, the substarte has the mycelium covering 2/3 of the top, and there are large water droplets, and some small puddles of water covering parts of the mycelium. Is this going to be a problem in about 3 days, or should I not worry? I plan to case it in 3 days. Hey guys, dan and sooch, thanks for the replies and info. More reposnes would be greatly appreciated.:D

OfflineSenovio
    #1834746 - 08/20/03 06:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

WOW,100+ views,but not many replies. Something I'm doing wrong?

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#1834780 - 08/20/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Personally I like to reserve neglect teks for:

1)If I have too much spawn (jars) that are ready to use but little space, then I'll make an outdoor patch or stuff some in a plastic bag or container with or without poo and/or hay. usually get a decent amount.
2)Invitro. The easiest neglect tek, almost always produces fruits, but not nearly as much as bulk and the fruits are not as asthetically pleasing, also rotting and fruit size is a big problem

If I was in your posititon and had rhizomorphic mycelia and really good composted poo and what not, why waist all that time and effort only to do a neglect tek? You will produce much more fruits and flushes from a proplerly done bulk grow, then a neglect tek. As I see it, your more than halfway there. But whatever you feel like doing.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

OfflineRiggidy
Stranger
Re: Need HELP!!!! MYCELIUM SPAWNED!!!! [Re: soochi]
    #1835418 - 08/20/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Soochi:
If I was in your posititon and had rhizomorphic mycelia and really good composted poo and what not, why waist all that time and effort only to do a neglect tek? You will produce much more fruits and flushes from a proplerly done bulk grow, then a neglect tek. As I see it, your more than halfway there. But whatever you feel like doing.
----------------------------------
The bulk neglect tek is not outdoor or the invitro. The only difference between this and a "proper grow? is the absence of a humidifier for the casing. I really like the neglect tek for this reason. It gives all the benefits of a bulk grow without the hassle of setting up humidity tents with humidifiers running. This way you simply cover with plastic and let nature do its thing making sure to mist now and then. The flushes and yields are great plus you can fit more boxes into a smaller space.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Re: Need HELP!!!! MYCELIUM SPAWNED!!!! [Re: Riggidy]
    #1836528 - 08/21/03 08:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like what I do with my regular bulk grows and casings. They do provide their own humidity whether in a terrarium or just covered with plastic.  I usually do two or three large rubbermaid roughnecks that are just big enough to get the largest Saran Quick cover around (I love those quick covers) poke it with holes and that's it. uncover and fan everyday and keep it in next to my window for light. you really don't need a humidifier for either cakes or casing, at most perlite and a large sterilite bin will suffice. but it sounds like your doing well  :grin:

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract