Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Blue corn
    #1832914 - 08/20/03 12:06 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I've been itching to ask this question but didn't want to get flamed...until now. Has anyone used blue corn instead of regular corn as a substrate? My first reason against this would be that it might be hard to spot contaminants, but if there are reasonable benefits this can be overlooked. So I briefly did some research about the nutritional content and found some good information. Here is a blue-corn introduction quote from the UC Berkley Wellness Letter, May 2002:

Quote:

Blue corn, usually milled for tortillas, pancake mixes, and corn chips, has more protein than white or yellow corn, as well as more zinc and more lysine (an amino acid, which is a building block of protein). Blue corn also has a blue pigment that may be healthful, but no one knows how much survives in chips?or how much you would need to eat to get any benefit. There are many types of blue corn, which may have small nutritional differences.

Yellow corn is richest in beta carotene. White and yellow corn have more boron, a trace mineral, than blue corn does.

Specifically about protien content, the US Grains web site (link) also states:

Quote:

Studies at Colorado State University indicate that the protein content of commercial blue corn is consistently 30% higher than dent corns in adjacent fields (Johnson and Croissant 1990). It contains iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, copper and potassium.

Not knowing much about how mycelium digests/processes protein, other than it can't do very well given other Shroomerite experiences, I'll try to compare the protein contents of the two. Sunflower seeds have 5.48 grams of protien per ounce (Anne Collins). Regular corn is roughly 8% protein, so in an ounce (28.47 grams) it has 2.28 grams protein. Blue corn, if it can be generalized as having 30% more protein than regular, would then have 2.96 grams per ounce, well below that of sunflower seeds.

The question to experiment with is do the nutritional differences of blue corn vs. yellow/white corn support mycelial growth better, in turn producing more favorable fruits (larger, more potent, or both)?

Please feel free to post your experiences, other facts, or (gasp!) faults with the info above.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Re: Blue corn [Re: houshroom]
    #1836914 - 08/21/03 01:10 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Nothing? That's a shame. This would be a good experiment, I should have caught Anno before he started his "Multi-substrate test".

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1836926 - 08/21/03 01:14 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Buy some and try it. I have never seen it around for sale myself. Sounds interesting though. If you are using corn for casings it might have an effect. If you are just using it for spawn, I think the difference would be negligable. If I see some I will buy it and try it out.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Re: Blue corn [Re: shakta]
    #1836963 - 08/21/03 01:25 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

Yea you're probably right about the spawn, but for the same reasons I can't do that currently I can't test this substate out. They sell it in whole food stores if you have any of those near you.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1837134 - 08/21/03 02:05 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

I have one near me. The next time my friend does some jars I will have him do a comparison between the blue, and the cheap wal mart corn he normally uses.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation