Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Loc: FL
Re: ODD MODS [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1832686 - 08/20/03 08:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

st0nedphucker said:
It's a good idea, but due to the number of idiots here who would provide dangerous/misleading info it would';t work. Someone could get seriously hurt or even killed if they had read misinformation in a post and took it as fact. A persons life is worth more than a ban especially if it can be saved by taking pre-cautionary measures such as those already in place. =

Granted. Though the idea was to come up with some way to improve the current system, and you're not helping.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: ODD MODS [Re: cdchriscd]
    #1832712 - 08/20/03 08:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We've spent many hours (believe me) hours and hours trying to figure out a better way. We have had two live online staff meetings with all the mods and admins in attendance.

It's not that easy because even if something misleading gets out for a short period it could prove damaging to someone.

The current system is most definitely flawed because it depends on subjectivity but I know I'm not smart enough to figure out a better way. The only alternative in my mind is to open it up and let the chips fall where they may. However that in it's worst incarnation could lead to the downfall of this site.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #1832715 - 08/20/03 08:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Granted. Perhaps they should outline less vague guidelines or get mods that aren't so contradictory. Or like the good old fashion saying goes "if it aint broke dont fix it"

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

#1832762 - 08/20/03 08:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

But it is broke, that's the point. Pay more attention.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1832828 - 08/20/03 09:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Its fine as it is. Ripple has already stated there is, at the present time, no practical solution. So far the suggestions have been as flawed or even more so than the current system. ODD should be moderated and what gets accepted for it is up to the mods, whether people agree with the decision is a different matter. Unless all the mods convene and go through each post deciding whats acceptable and whats not, leave it as it is. Otherwise have a completely open forum where idiots like YellowPurpleHills tell people to take coricidin and end up killing a poor kid

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #1832884 - 08/20/03 09:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cdchriscd said:
But it is broke, that's the point. Pay more attention.

I wouldn't say broke as much as it is the best it can be under the circumstances.

The underlying problem is we have so many stupid posts and horrible advice that forced this approach in the first place.

So far I have not seen a solution that is better than the current system, and believe me all the mods in that forum and the admins would take seriously any idea that makes the forum better.

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Re: ODD MODS [Re: Thor]
    #1832898 - 08/20/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How about giving all current mods (or the ones who would want) mod status in ODD so there are more mods avaliable to review posts?

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #1832911 - 08/20/03 10:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cdchriscd said:
How about giving all current mods (or the ones who would want) mod status in ODD so there are more mods avaliable to review posts?

Well the posts are being approved pretty damn smoothly lately, the problem is not with enough mods right now, maybe more consistancy with applying the rules.

Don't forget the current crop of mods there have had 2 online meetings to discuss in length the forum and problems. Throwing in new mods who haven't been involved in those discussions could just add a rogue mod who has their own view on the rules and thus making the situation worse.

If the problem is a few mods approving posts that others don't, then what is needed is another online meeting to let those mods all get on the same page.

and that is IF that is a problem.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: ODD MODS [Re: Thor]
    #1832920 - 08/20/03 10:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The only idea that I came up with that I like, though it would be a bit of code work is as follows:

A user in the forum can be tagged as 'trusted' for that forum. A trusted user's posts are automatically approved by the system. The moderators of the forum can add/remove trust to a user for that forum. All users except moderators are initially untrusted.

With this system, the moderators can offload a lot of work by trusting mature posters that post a lot of information. If a trusted member abuses their trust, it is simply revoked.

A few things to make the system more usable and complex:

The forum could keep track of the number of posts a nontrusted user has in the forum that have been approved and denied. These numbers can help a moderator decide if a user is trustworty. We could even automate this and autotrust a user if their goodpost to badpost ratio is large enough.

Require all new posts to be moderator approved, only replies follow the trust system.

Clicking 'notify moderator' automatically removes the visibility of a post until reviewed by a moderator (perhaps only if done by a trusted member). This allows trusted members to self-police and help the moderators.

Trusted posts, though visible, still require a moderator to approve them... though we are trying to offload work, so I donno about this one.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Re: ODD MODS [Re: Seuss]
    #1832927 - 08/20/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thats the best idea so far.

--------------------

Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

#1833107 - 08/20/03 11:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Damn good idea.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: ODD MODS [Re: Seuss]
    #1861748 - 08/29/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ripple said, "The only alternative in my mind is to open it up and let the chips fall where they may. However that in it's worst incarnation could lead to the downfall of this site."

Since there was talk of discontinuing Other Drugs about 6 months ago, I fought strong to see that it stayed alive so long as we could ensure a safer environment than that which was previously available.

However, I will see the forum permanently locked as an archive before it becomes open to free discussion. We are here to let people speak their piece (in the community forums), but we are also here to ensure that people can receive as much accurate information as possible. Opening the forum is not an option at this time, nor can I see a feasible time when it would be.

Suess said, "The only idea that I came up with that I like, though it would be a bit of code work is as follows"

Suess' idea is absolutely wonderful. However, I know that I have no where near the ability to re-write the bbs code such that said features could be implemented, and I am also confident that there has never been such a complicated modification implemented in the past since it would have to be added through each upgrade of the system and we already have lots of useful smaller modifications that we already have to tackle each time a UBB update comes around. I know you offered your services to us Suess, so if you honestly believe that you have the ability to see such a project through to the finish, I urge you to contact 3D via PM to discuss the matter. As I have virtually no programming experience, I cannot comment further. Great ideas though!

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1861800 - 08/29/03 04:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

daba for mod! :thumbup:

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: ODD MODS [Re: geokills]
    #1862185 - 08/29/03 08:53 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Suess' idea is absolutely wonderful.

I second that!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals