Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
are any of you guys professional philosophers?
    #1831268 - 08/19/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

or a related field, like law? just wondering... also, do you think being a professional philosopher is a good idea, or does it just lead to esoteric technical focus rather than a deeper understanding of the forces that effect individuals' lives? is it better to not even read philosophy? socrates didn't...

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Malachi]
    #1831433 - 08/19/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think being a professional philosopher (unless you were an author) would be a very lucrative career.

Also I think that if all you did all day was ponder your existance, you would separate yourself from the other things in life that are important.  Think of all of the experiences you would miss if your life was constant analyzation.   

"Sometimes, you just gotta say fuck it" - from "Risky Buisness"  :laugh:

There are many aspects to life, and to focus too much on one, you may miss out on the bigger picture.  I think that many would get to the point where the message was lost, and they worshipped the creeds.  (Anyone remember The The - Mind Bomb?) 

Edit - Upon further review I discovered many more occupations that would be considered professional philosophers.  Some could actually be very lucrative, but I still think it is a limited, albeit growing field.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (08/19/03 09:36 PM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1831572 - 08/19/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No, but a professional philosopher isn't better or smarter or more enlightened than I. Being a professional philosopher is pretty lame in my opinion. They just seem to reek of that stuck-up, Harvard Doctorite bastard-like jerkness to me.

If anything, being an educated person of philosophy makes one gravitate twoards another philosophers' beliefs and ideas. This is why I haven't studied philosophy......yet.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1831589 - 08/19/03 10:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

I think that if all you did all day was ponder your existance, you would separate yourself from the other things in life that are important. Think of all of the experiences you would miss if your life was constant analyzation.

Welcome to the past couple year's of my life. Constant introspection, personal/global/social/fundamental evaluation fucking suck's, if you want to get depressed just look at EVERYTHING for what it is, thats the ticket. Ya, i still strugle with self analyzation, but not nearly as much so in a negative manner.

Some people call it buddhism.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: PDU]
    #1831599 - 08/19/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

malachi, you should check out a career with the KKK they're a pretty philosophical group.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1831620 - 08/19/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Buddhism? LOL. Thats pretty close-minded of a statement!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1831670 - 08/19/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

supermarket said:
Buddhism? LOL. Thats pretty close-minded of a statement!

ah, not at all, the origins of buddhism...started out as guy's going to sit out in the wood's and think about life...pretty much. Im not here to argue buddhism though, Just that that's a large part of buddhism, isolating oneself from outward influence and thinking (obsessing) about one's life, and how to live it "correctly".

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1831729 - 08/19/03 11:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It seems a waste of a life that could be lived instead of anylized to death (literally).

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Murex]
    #1831747 - 08/19/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Murex said:

It seems a waste of a life that could be lived instead of anylized to death (literally).

exactly. I still struggle trying to enjoy live, rather than over analyzing every situation, so i can *understand.*
My couple year's of depression probably mimic buddhism in someway's more than some would like to think.
I think its pretty much impossible to realize everything for what it really is, and be happy.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1831768 - 08/19/03 11:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think its pretty much impossible to realize everything for what it really is, and be happy.

Some would say that is what it takes to be happy.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #1832119 - 08/20/03 01:23 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The only thing I am a 'professional' at is being me...but that's only because I get to choose all the standards, and I never have pass any tests or prove myself in any way...if I were to take on an aprentice though and teach him all about being me, I'm almost certain he'd surpass me in no time at all (as is usally the case)

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1832144 - 08/20/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Quote:

Some would say that is what it takes to be happy.

exactly. take a "meaningful relationship". it's not actually meaningful unless you understand said meaning. sure, you have your feelings, but is this meaningful person trite enough to rely on your feelings? what if you're actually being an emotional spounge, as many are? gotta understand...

murex- that's how most people in america feel. while I don't have an opinion on the relevance of philosophers, I can assure you that there are quite a few cool ones, nothing like the anti-intellectual stereotype.

dogomush- that's your team, remember? if you insist on continuing with your small minded racist finger pointing, please as least don't get relative on me, mmkay?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
    #1832194 - 08/20/03 01:56 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

malachi..

what are you talking about? I just suggested the KKK, they have some cool outfits and titles like "arch-wizard" and stuff, that's all. Speaking of small minded racist finger pointing, didn't you just say this:

dogomush- that's your team, remember?"

You are fucking hilarious. That's H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S. your ratio of hypocrisy to number of words written is the highest I've ever seen.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1832198 - 08/20/03 02:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you know, it'd be really great if you could actually articulate a point rather than just name call. seriously.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1832270 - 08/20/03 02:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"and how to live it 'correctly'"

It really shouldn't be about living a correct life. We shouldn't overanalyze but at the same time some profound realizations don't hurt either. It really should be about right or wrong, but just more about experiencing and learning.

as far as professional philosophers go, malachi mentioned socrates. I think it was him who empahsized that the wisest man is the man who knows he really knows nothing at all.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: kaiowas]
    #1832306 - 08/20/03 03:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I assume you meant to say it shouldn't be about right or wrong- which is ludicrous. Right means Right. Wrong means Wrong.

socrates wasn't wise cause he didn't know anything, he was wise because he KNEW that he didn't know anything. big difference.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1833247 - 08/20/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is a professional philosopher?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1833258 - 08/20/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Somebody who talks a lot of shit about nothing and gets paid for it.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: are any of you guys professional philosophers? [Re: Sclorch]
    #1833272 - 08/20/03 11:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

arbiter of truth

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1833334 - 08/20/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Just that that's a large part of buddhism, isolating oneself from outward influence and thinking (obsessing) about one's life, and how to live it "correctly".

Thats not a very accurate description of Buddism. The idea is to stop thinking(obsessing) about ones life. You know like clear your mind, stop clinging to desire. Focus on the moment and not the constant chatter of the mind.
What your describing sounds more like psychoanalysis.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order