Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePurple Haze
Lime and limpidgreen, a secondscene

Loc: Canada
In 60 years, we are all doomed...
    #1831393 - 08/19/03 09:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

maybe sooner, the global climate each year increases of an average of 0,1 degree celcius...

if we count maybe a few years where there is no increase, or cooler years, let's say in 60 years, the global climate will have increased of 5,0 degrees celcius..

the ice age was cause by a ''freeze''(sorry, I'm french and don't know the term for something that gets colder) of about 3,0 degrees I think

5,0 degrees would cause northern USA and eastern Canada to have the climate of florida, which would be dry as mexico

picture yourself what would become Africa, especially in the Rift Valley, aka Rwanda, Ouganda etc, Soudan, Ethiopia, where there is quite often drought and humanitary crisis

we are doomed unless we forbid the use of hydro-carbures but that would never happen

we only live once, enjoy

Edited by Purple Haze (08/19/03 09:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Purple Haze]
    #1831411 - 08/19/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Damn that doesnt sound like much fun .. thats why we have ac :smile:

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

OfflinePurple Haze

Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1831432 - 08/19/03 09:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well I know you understood eh burn down your car  :rolleyes:

we are totally fucked anyways

Tom Yorke said we had 20 years left... I believe it's more like 50-60 where we will have wars for water and Canada will be 1st world power  :grin: yea right! 

Anonymous

#1831508 - 08/19/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Nah man, it won't work that way. As the general temperature rises and causes the polar glaciers to melt, precipitation will increase significantly. What happens then is that there's more precipitation near the poles, where it's still cold enough to form ice. This'll result in even more ice build-up, causing sudden glacial rebound, much farther down in latitude than we now know. This is the earth's balancing reaction to global warming, which then results in "ice age" conditions. Better learn how to build igloos rather than sand castles.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: ]
    #1831628 - 08/19/03 10:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Im not sure, i have absolutely no faith that the earth will be able to deal with this....i think we are doomed too, but not that early. I speculate that science may be able to prevent our inevitable extinction for a few hundred year's...but not forever.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: PDU]
    #1831648 - 08/19/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Acts of god caused by acts of man- that sounds heavy.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

OfflinePurple Haze

#1831673 - 08/19/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I would actually prefer seeing the world's end by my own eyes than thinking my grand children will

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#1831677 - 08/19/03 10:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ive sworn to myself that i wont have children. I would prefere to not live this existance, and its not my right to force another able minded person to live a plagued existance....especially as fucked up as the immediate future will be, i cant see the compassion in bringing someone into THIS world...at least in most people's situations.

I think alot more people should be aware of the reprecusions having children...just for the sake of having them, can be.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1831701 - 08/19/03 10:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
Ive sworn to myself that i wont have children. I would prefere to not live this existance, and its not my right to force another able minded person to live a plagued existance....especially as fucked up as the immediate future will be, i cant see the compassion in bringing someone into THIS world...at least in most people's situations.

I think alot more people should be aware of the reprecusions having children...just for the sake of having them, can be.

If you were given the choice to be born, what would you say...?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1831707 - 08/19/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Obviously "no, dont do that to me" i thought that was fairly obvious through my post.

Although im starting to lead a happier existance, im still constantly torturing myself over the siliest thing's, and it make's life less than ideal. IF i could be a normal ignorant blissfully happy person, perhaps i would think different, but i cant see through the problem's...i can ignore them temporarily, but it all comes back...

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1831887 - 08/19/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Fun little game of post-tag we are playing, isn't it.  :tongue:

You said you would prefer to "not live this existance".  That implies that you would still probably like to live, but in a time or place, that was more to your liking. 

What would you prefer, a utopia, where you never suffered, and had your every desire catered to?  Some of the greatest triumphs in humanity were born from suffering.  Adversity is a neccessary conditon to the human existance.  All my suffering has done to me, is make me more wise.  Realize it for what it really is.

Or maybe you feel like your life has no purpose.  Have you ever considered that your biological imperitive is to procreate?  And you have made the conscious decision to deny it.  I'm no psychologist, but I think that could be a cause of distress, to many people.

And fitting in with the other thread in S&P, if you have realized things for what they are, then why are you still unhappy?
Are you sad that a rock cannot walk?  That the sky is blue?  Some things are good, some are bad.  Things are what they are, you must accept that some things are out of your control.   

You speak of this time as being far worse than other points in human history.  People have held this view for probably thousands of years.  Everyone always thinks they have it the worst.  But realize that you are seeing many great things happen right now too.  Medicine, technology, etc.  There will always be bad with good, you shouldn't focus on only the negative.  Realize there must be balance.  It isn't better or worse, it is only different.   

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1831951 - 08/20/03 12:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's getting warmer? Well, shit, it just seems to be getting colder and colder here. Nighttime used to be somewhat cool/warm at night during the summer, and you could walk around in shorts and t shirts on a good night. Nowadays, night time feels like a winter day. Everytime we go camping, all day it's so fucking hot, then as soon as the sun goes, we're wrapping ourselves in blankets and layers of clothing.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#1831954 - 08/20/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, i just wrote an extremely lengthy well thought out response to you Hagbard, and my computer stalled on the last paragraph and i lost it all. Im going to smoke some resin and see what i can come up with....stay tuned!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Sheepish]
    #1831960 - 08/20/03 12:15 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That must be why Frodo wore his cloak everynight.

--------------------

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1831980 - 08/20/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Trust me, it's FREEZING down where they did filming. It's cold enough up here and I'd hate to think about walking around the South Island in bare feet and clothes that really don't offer much warmth at all.

OfflinePurple Haze

Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Sheepish]
    #1831993 - 08/20/03 12:25 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that's exactly like the Sahara desert : sweaty filthy hot during the day and freezing cold at night.. the warmth is totally messed up, not only it's getting globally warmer, it will make more fucked up storms and stuff

PDU : I understand really what you meant, having kids is something very vague to my mind yet.. I'd be better off telling some messed up stories to some kids from the family... like I'd be an uncle or stuff
This world is utterly ackward, people are bringing each other down etc.. I have my own problems you know..

Overall, we are all ''cooked''  :grin:

I think I would actually enjoy seeing the world come to an end 

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#1832027 - 08/20/03 12:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
Fun little game of post-tag we are playing, isn't it.  :tongue:

You said you would prefer to "not live this existance".  That implies that you would still probably like to live, but in a time or place, that was more to your liking. 

What would you prefer, a utopia, where you never suffered, and had your every desire catered to?  Some of the greatest triumphs in humanity were born from suffering.  Adversity is a neccessary conditon to the human existance.  All my suffering has done to me, is make me more wise.  Realize it for what it really is.

Or maybe you feel like your life has no purpose.  Have you ever considered that your biological imperitive is to procreate?  And you have made the conscious decision to deny it.  I'm no psychologist, but I think that could be a cause of distress, to many people.

And fitting in with the other thread in S&P, if you have realized things for what they are, then why are you still unhappy?
Are you sad that a rock cannot walk?  That the sky is blue?  Some things are good, some are bad.  Things are what they are, you must accept that some things are out of your control.   

You speak of this time as being far worse than other points in human history.  People have held this view for probably thousands of years.  Everyone always thinks they have it the worst.  But realize that you are seeing many great things happen right now too.  Medicine, technology, etc.  There will always be bad with good, you shouldn't focus on only the negative.  Realize there must be balance.  It isn't better or worse, it is only different.   

aH MAN, There is no way im going to be able to reproduce what i said, i dont even know how to start. How depressing.

Alright, your correct, i dont dislike life itself, its just THIS life, North American life maybe? I try to enjoy life, i really do, That is what i want more than anything...and right now i am focusing on happy things...greater learning, swing music, dance, vibrant food's, bright colors, reading and writing, creativity and art...But no matter how much i focus on such thing's, there's still this giant reminder to bring me down. That reminder is Humanity. It just sickens me. Ive accepted the fact of "my inability to change things on a greater scale", ive accepted that thing's are how they are...and i try and distract myself from the bad, but in the end, there is just too much to always remind me of the bad. I dont focus on the bad thing's anymore...but they are still there, and still bring me down.

Next...

Perhaps your suffering has been a selective situation, because its not like that for everyone or in every scenerio (this has been disgussed in S&P) If your mothers head got ripped off in a freak car accident...your going to suffer, and not be wiser because of it. While i dont have too much directly to bitch and whine at (to suffer about) There's certain thing's...I am so conflicted in my own head, to try and validify my own life by throwing all my passion into a cause *to save the world* or to be able to be content with the way thing's are, and just live...oblivious to the bed, and receptive to the good. Even though i know i cant make a difference, life feel's waste'd to *just exist*. Which brings me to;

Quote:

Or maybe you feel like your life has no purpose. Have you ever considered that your biological imperitive is to procreate? And you have made the conscious decision to deny it. I'm no psychologist, but I think that could be a cause of distress, to many people.

Well, i'll argue with you on this one; I do feel life has no purpose, i feel thats what i have discovered, or my finding's have shown, it seems to me that the best thing anyone can do with their life is find true happiness, and live the life they want to live. Perhaps original, as with any species, the human biological imperative was to reproduce, but in some way...this has changed. The world is overpopulated, and the species is in no danger that populating will help, therefore the focus of the species to *sustain* itself has shifted...In order to sustain one must not procreate continuing an endless ineffective cycle, but RATHER...must influence his surrounding's to allow him to exist, and continue to do so (in the far off future). Thus, activism or trying to make a difference feels like the biological imperative now, we all see the end...we mustnt let it come to that.

That take's us to...

Quote:

Are you sad that a rock cannot walk? That the sky is blue? Some things are good, some are bad. Things are what they are, you must accept that some things are out of your control.

Ive realized things for what they are, but i have no accepted them, and i cannot accept them. That is why i am still unhappy. How can one accept something which deep down, sickens him at an ethical level? Ethic's are of the utmost importance to every humans personalized character, how can he reject his very instinct/intuition/being?

Quote:

You speak of this time as being far worse than other points in human history. People have held this view for probably thousands of years. Everyone always thinks they have it the worst.

This you are right, and its refreshing, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:

But realize that you are seeing many great things happen right now too. Medicine, technology, etc. There will always be bad with good, you shouldn't focus on only the negative. Realize there must be balance. It isn't better or worse, it is only different.

You are right, ive spoken about this very balance on these forums before...and i am close to finding it, but not settle'd in yet. I try so hard not to focus on the negative, but its the natural pessimist in me...
I am so conflicted internally, about so many thing's...its like i realize how thing's are, and i can be noble and fight for what's right (live tortured), or live a stupid blissfully ignorant life like most people. Realizing is the most painful thing in the world.

"i wish i was stupid so i wouldnt realize."

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineLikwidDrawp
Dance EnergyConjuror

#1832036 - 08/20/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm more worried about the polarity shift that the global warming. Perhaps this weird weather is pollution, sun spot/gasses changing, a sign of the coming polarity shift? I know this much: we're all gona die and the more time we spend wondering about it the shorter we live.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: LikwidDrawp]
    #1832038 - 08/20/03 12:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: In 60 years, we are all doomed... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1832045 - 08/20/03 12:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i too am worried about global warming..

I cant believe how fast my skin burn's now a day's....

Seem's alot of people think science will figure thing's out, im a skeptic..

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder