Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire
    #1826524 - 08/18/03 01:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How many of you here, when faced with the prospect of learning something new, trying something new, or being forced into some new experience, take whatever it is on with a strong desire of the challenge?

I guess what I mean is that when the idea of learning something new comes about, do you develop a thirst for the knowledge and the experience and dive right into it? Or do ya'll either dread the challenge to your security, the fear of something new, or just procastinate?

Myself, I have been trying to keep optimism and an attitude that allows me to dive right in. I'd rather that the task receive the force of my full focus, so I can learn the new knowledge, experience the new experience, meet someone new, etc.

I mean, why not take it as an oppurtunity to expand our horizons? Not taking on change with interest leaves us decidedly rigid and defined... myself, I'd rather keep on flowing, constantly reforming the idea of who I am..

So, what about the rest of you?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1827033 - 08/18/03 03:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Though I understand and take side with you, you loaded this post with a bunch of polemic...

Answer A. I'm an idiot.
Answer B. I'm wise.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #1827094 - 08/18/03 04:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm tempted to say (with a high amount of certainty) that I am one of those 'dive right in' types...cause for the most part I am...but even so, there are some situations where I simply can't bring myself to take that sort of approach. The most obvious example I can think of is: relationships. Try as I might, I can't ever just jump right in - well, not without drowning anyway - and I don't know if it's an unintentional defense mechanism, or just plain good ol' common sense...either way though, this is definately one of those types of situations I take my sweet ass time tip-toeing my way into.

Oh well...I guess I'll just have to settle for semi-'dive right in'-ist

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1827138 - 08/18/03 04:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I really hated learning new things that were forced upon me (say...school) However, since ive finished highschool ive had this thirst for education...Knowledge is the greatest thing ever, and learning something you really struggle with is the greatest satisfaction ive achieved, generally (with few and far between exceptions) I dive right in now, and its great.
Its just like with anything...when your a kid walking the dog, or brushing your teeth or reading a book is horrible because your forced to do it, but if you get to choose what your doing, its satisfying because you made the choice.
Throwing your wholeself at the situation is the only way to go, mediocrity doesnt cut it.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: Sclorch]
    #1828778 - 08/19/03 04:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
Though I understand and take side with you, you loaded this post with a bunch of polemic...

Answer A. I'm an idiot.
Answer B. I'm wise. 

I don't follow.. maybe it is because I'm an idiot... :grin:
Care to enlighten me?
Peace. 

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #1830833 - 08/19/03 05:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

my friend tried diving in last night. he was drunk. from the diving board of one of those olympic pools. silly bastard faceplanted the water. he's alrite tho, so its okay for me to laugh about it. lol.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: entiformatie]
    #1830847 - 08/19/03 05:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

At least he didn't do what the girl in the anti-drug commercial did some years back - remember? The girl dove off of a diving board into a pool, unfortunately it was empty. I guess they tried to say that when you're on drugs you will change into a bathing suit, put up your hair, climb onto a high board, and dive without ever making sure there's water in the pool. Fucking pot!

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Invisibleadrug

Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: neutralizer]
    #1830955 - 08/19/03 06:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I remember that one...didn't have much of an effect on me. :smirk: I figured she was just high on pcp. :wink: 

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Approaching Challenges and Lessons with Desire [Re: adrug]
    #1831006 - 08/19/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It depends what the new activity is and my current state of mind. If I don't do it thought, it is not because I dread it, such as joining a basketball team. I just would rather do something else.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1831112 - 08/19/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is something that I battle constantly, but only half way through.

Every situation that presents itself to me, is (usually, it still depends on what it is) looked upon with wonder and delight.  Especially if it is something I can "prove" myself with.  I usually like to size things up, get an overview if you will, then be thrown to the wolves.  Nothing allows me to learn faster. 

If it is a subject I become interested in, I may spend weeks or months, of 3-4 hours a day, scouring the web and other resources until I feel like, there isn't much more I can learn, at least not with what is available to me at the computer.

But here is where the trouble starts.  I have poor organizational skills, and have a very selective memory.  I really hate mundane chores, and feel they waste time that could be better spent on other pursuits.  So I let day to day things reach a boiling point before they draw my attention.  (Really, really bad at remembering to pay my bills.  Get a lot of courtesy calls, and always end up paying with my checkcard. :tongue:)

I also usually end up burning myself out on projects I take up.  If I can't finish them quickly, or at least see the fruit of my labors, I get quickly bored.  I can't count the number of things I decided I was going to take up, then do my research, maybe even spend alot of money, then never finish.  I just loose interest. 

What do you guys do to stay motivated?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom