Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
The ultimate act of terrorism
    #1829431 - 08/19/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

August marks another anniversary of the atomic bombing of Japan, the ultimate act of terrorism in which 231,920 people have now died, the latest, the children of 1945, from a plague of cancers.

Pilger : 14 Aug 2003

I first visited Hiroshima 22 years after the atomic bombing. Although the city had been completely rebuilt with glass boxes and ring roads, its suffering was not difficult to find. Beside the river, less than a mile from where the bomb burst, stilts of shacks rose from the silt, and languid human silhouettes searched pyramids of rubbish, providing a glimpse of a Japan few can now imagine.

They were the survivors. Most of them were sick, impoverished, unemployed and socially excluded. Such was the fear of the "atomic plague" that people changed their names; most moved away. The sick received treatment in a crowded state-run hospital. The modern Atomic Bomb Hospital, surrounded by pines and overlooking the city, which the Americans built and ran, took only a few patients for "study".

On 6 August, the anniversary of the bombing, the Mainichi Shimbun reported that the number of people killed directly and after exposure to radiation had now reached 231,920. Today, in the same hospital wards I visited, there are the children of 1945, dying from a predictable plague of cancers.

The first Allied journalist to reach Hiroshima following the bombing was Wilfred Burchett, the Australian war correspondent of the London Daily Express. Burchett found thousands of survivors suffering mysterious symptoms of internal haemorrhage, spotted skin and hair loss. In a historic despatch to the Express that began, "I write this as a warning to the world", he described the effects of radiation.

The Allied occupation authorities vehemently denied Burchett's reports. People had died only as a result of the blast, they lied, and the "embedded" Allied press amplified this. "No radioactivity in Hiroshima ruin" was the headline in the New York Times of 13 September 1945. Burchett had his press accreditation withdrawn and was issued with an expulsion order from Japan, which was later rescinded. Japanese film shot in the hospitals was confiscated and sent to Washington, where it was classified as top secret and not released for 23 years.

The true motive for using this ultimate weapon of mass destruction was suppressed even longer. The official truth was that the bomb was dropped to speed the surrender of Japan and save Allied lives. Today, as the public becomes more attuned to the scale of government deception, this was probably the biggest lie of all. As the historian Gar Alperovitz, among others, has documented, US political and military leaders, knowing that Japan's surrender was already under way, believed the atomic bombing was militarily unnecessary. In 1946 the US Strategic Bombing Survey confirmed this. None of this was shared with the public, nor the belief in Washington that the atomic bomb "experiment" in Japan, as President Truman put it, would demonstrate US primacy to the Russians.

Since then declassified files have shown that the United States has almost used nuclear weapons on at least three occasions: twice in the 1950s, during the Korean war and in Indo-China (against Ho Chi Minh's forces, which were then routing the French), and during the 1973 Arab/Israeli war. During the 1980s, President Reagan threatened the use of "limited" nuclear weapons, until huge demonstrations in Europe curtailed the American short-range missile programme. Under George W Bush's essentially Reaganite administration, the US (and British) military's love affair with nuclear weapons is on the rise again. In 2001, the United States withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the landmark agreement with the Russians signed in 1972. This was the first time in the nuclear era that Washington had renounced a major arms control accord.

The most important official behind this is John Bolton, the under-secretary of state for arms control and international security: an ironic title, surely, given the extraordinary stand Bolton has taken and the threats he has made. A former Reagan man who is probably the most extreme of George W Bush's "neo-cons", Bolton had his appointment endorsed by Senator Jesse Helms, one of America's greatest warmongers, with these words: "John Bolton is the kind of man with whom I would want to stand at Armageddon...for the final battle between good and evil."

Bolton is Defence Secretary Rumsfeld's man at the "liberal" State Department. He is a strong advocate of the blurring of the distinction between nuclear and conventional weapons. This is described vividly in last year's leaked Nuclear Posture Review, in which the Pentagon expresses its "need" for low-yield nuclear weapons for possible attacks on a shopping list of "enemies of the United States": Libya, Syria, Iran, Iraq and North Korea. The inclusion of Iraq is significant. During the long charade about Saddam Hussein's elusive weapons of mass destruction, no mention was made in Washington of US willingness to use nuclear weapons against Iraq. It was left to Britain's Defence Secretary, the caustic Geoff Hoon, to disclose this. On 26 March 2002, Hoon told parliament that "some states" - he mentioned Saddam Hussein by name - "can be absolutely confident that in the right conditions we would be willing to use our nuclear weapons". No British minister has ever made such an outright threat. As Hoon himself later admitted, British policy is merely an extension of US policy.

As for John Bolton, there is little doubt that he has been assigned to lead the charge against North Korea, which has nuclear weapons. Bolton has been travelling the world trying to assemble a "coalition" that will send warships to "interdict" North Korean vessels. Two weeks ago he was in Seoul, where he unleashed a remarkable stream of abuse against the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il who, he said, ran "a hellish nightmare". (In reply, Pyongyang described Bolton as "human scum".)

Last month I interviewed Bolton in Washington and asked him: "If you stop ships, isn't there an echo of what happened in 1962, with the threat of nuclear war? Won't the North Korean regime be moved to defend themselves with the nuclear weapons they have?" He replied that a North Korean ship had already been stopped and "the regime did nothing in response".

"But if you take action, the nuclear risk is there, isn't it?" I asked. He replied, "The risk is there if we don't take action... of them blackmailing other countries." He quoted Condoleezza Rice, Bush's closest adviser: "We don't want to wait for the mushroom cloud."

Two weeks ago, on the 58th anniversary of Hiroshima's incineration, a secret conference was held at the Strategic Air Command in Omaha, Nebraska, the base where, 24 hours a day, the United States keeps its "nuclear vigil". (It was the setting for Stanley Kubrick's Dr Strangelove.) In attendance were cabinet members, generals and leading scientists from America's three main nuclear weapons laboratories. Members of Congress were banned, even as observers. The agenda was the development of "mini-nukes" for possible use against "rogue states".

The mantle of the greatest rogue state of all cannot be in doubt. Since the end of the cold war, the United States has repudiated, rejected or subverted all the major treaties designed to prevent war with weapons of mass destruction, especially nuclear weapons. This is the rampant power to which, says Hoon, we are inexorably tied.

That, not an establishment brawl between the government and the BBC, ought to be our most urgent concern.

http://www.johnpilger.com/print

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewingnutx

Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: Xlea321]
    #1829436 - 08/19/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You forgot about Dresden.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1829440 - 08/19/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and the American Indians.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: wingnutx]
    #1829445 - 08/19/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No I didn't.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: Autonomous]
    #1829446 - 08/19/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and Sherman's march to the sea.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829451 - 08/19/03 11:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and the way the British treated the Scots.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829456 - 08/19/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and the way the British treated 'their' Indians.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829469 - 08/19/03 11:49 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and Stalin's purges.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829472 - 08/19/03 11:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and the collectivization of Ukrainian farmlands.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829477 - 08/19/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

... and the 'Cultural Revolution.'

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1829481 - 08/19/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Did you even read the article? I only posted it two minutes ago and you've already made 7 posts. You havn't had time to even read it.

Try having an open mind and READING for a change.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1829487 - 08/19/03 11:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

We all just had this discussion a week ago.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829494 - 08/19/03 11:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Did you even read the article?

Yes.

Quote:

I only posted it two minutes ago and you've already made 5 posts.

Your point being?

Quote:

Try having an open mind and READING for a change.

Try not to judge people you know nothing about. How do you arrive at the erroneous conclusion that reading would be a change for me?

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1829529 - 08/19/03 12:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes.

So you read the article and made 3 posts within 3 minutes? That's some going man.

I'm not convinced.

Your point being?

You havn't spent a great deal of time thinking about it have you.

Try not to judge people you no nothing about.

I know you profess to have read a lengthy article and yet made 3 posts decrying it all within 3 minutes. I think that's a fairly indicative of a closed mind.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1829549 - 08/19/03 12:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Some of us have read a bit more than the "Dick and Jane" books Alpo, and can actually read at a fairly quick speed.

See Dick run. Run Dick run. See Alpo read. Read Alpo read. No... seriously... read. No, I wasn't kidding. Yes I know some of those words are more than two syllables.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

#1829577 - 08/19/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
So you read the article and made 3 posts within 3 minutes? That's some going man.

I'm not convinced.

Don't judge others by your own abilities.

Quote:

You havn't spent a great deal of time thinking about it have you.

Actually I have had several conversations and read quite a few articles on the subject throughout my lifetime, and spent some time thinking about it. See, you do know nothing about me.

Quote:

I know you profess to have read a lengthy article and yet made 3 posts decrying it all within 3 minutes.

'Lengthy article' is a relative term. I found it rather brief. It is foolish to judge my reading ability and comprehension to be the same as yours.

Quote:

I think that's a fairly indicative of a closed mind.

Obviously you aren't thinking clearly and have closed your mind to other possibilities concerning my state of mind.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1829581 - 08/19/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

See Dick type.
See Dick make fun of people.
See Dick run at the mouth.
Run, Dick, Run.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1829584 - 08/19/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:wink:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1829622 - 08/19/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

One for you too.  :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The ultimate act of terrorism [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1829624 - 08/19/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

In response to the article there have been 14 posts by rabid right-wingers, and one by a thinker.

And they say this board is "leans massively to the left"  :lol:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies