Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q
    #1827800 - 08/18/03 09:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

AFOAF has 2 double-ended cased 1-pint jars which are fully colonized. he wants to dunk/cold shock them for 24 hours before putting them back into their jars to fruit invitro, which is his only option for fruiting as he is leaving soon for school and doesn't want to grow at school.

obviously the vermiculite on the ends has to go. but this will leave extra empty space once the dunk/cold shock is over and the cake is put back into its jar. will the humidity in the jar be a problem with all of this open space?
also, hippie3's tek recommends flipping the jar over so the lid is on the bottom contacting the ground. how does gas exchange occur? his lids have been punctured at 4 spots from the original inoculation. should they be covered or not?
finally, how much longer does invitro fruiting take than fruiting in a terarrium? he'd have some shrooms after 2 months, wouldn't he?

thanks for putting up with all of my questions; my FOAF is close to leaving and keeps bugging me to find the answers for him, the lazy shyte!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

Re: double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q [Re: ichbinkiffer]
    #1827922 - 08/18/03 10:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

double end casing isn't used for invitro, but oh well

No, the open space won't matter
no idea about the gas exchange
and it takes the same amount of time
and if you leave them alone for 2 months, it will produce mushrooms, and the mushrooms will rot

Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q [Re: Ravinoff]
    #1829687 - 08/19/03 02:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the reply...some changes to the accomodations have been made to prevent any rotting.

2 of the cakes were dunked and then re-introduced into their jars, which were flipped. the surface of the cakes look moist but so far no condensation has appeared on the inside of the jars. is this a bad sign? are they going to dry up? there's a bit of open space at the tops of the jars and the cakes seem to have shrunk (???) a bit as a result of the dunking, so the cake doesn't touch the sides of the glass...is this normal?

Invisiblekoraks
    #1830083 - 08/19/03 04:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Moisture is good, large droplets on cakes are bad.
Open space above the cake is good.
Shrinking is normal (mycelium uses up water and air from the cake, hence, the cake shrinks), but i doubt it happened because of the dunking...

Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q [Re: koraks]
    #1837248 - 08/21/03 02:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

how about gas exchange? how's that work?
the pic on hippie3's tek looks like the jar is sitting lid-down on some aluminum foil. should the 4 holes be covered or not when they're placed upside down?

:confused: :confused:

Invisiblekoraks
    #1837379 - 08/21/03 03:18 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sufficient amounts of oxygen are needed for mushrooms to grow. Apparently, when you leave enough open space in the jars (either in the substrate itself, or above the cake, or both), there's enough oxygen for some fruits to form. But I'd say that it helps when you provide some gas exchage (open the jar, and fan it in order to force the stale air inside out), but a drawback is that fanning may induce contaminants.
On the whole, in vitro growing is not the way to go, IMHO, but there can always be an excuse for it, I guess...

[edit:] As for the covered holes in the pictures of hippie3's tek, I'd say covering the holes would prevent gas exchange, possibly slowing or stalling mushroom and mycelium growth. So I would leave some holes uncovered (apart from a filter of some sort) to allow for some air exchange. But I'm really not too sure about all this, as I've never actually tried growing in vitro, sorry...

Edited by koraks (08/21/03 03:21 PM)

Offlinenesta
the Idiot
Loc: United Snakes
Re: double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q [Re: koraks]
    #1837779 - 08/21/03 05:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

this is just theory, mind you, but isn't CO2 heavier than oxygen? when fruiting invitro i'd imagine all you'd need to do was turn the jar upside down (on the lid or foil) and just lift the jar slightly a few times a day, to let the CO2 "fall" out and be replaced by oxygen. just a theory, it might not work out as well as i think it should, but i'd imagine only having to lift it up a crack instead of completely opening it to fan would help reduce the risk of contams...

Edited by nesta (08/21/03 05:16 PM)

Offlinewicish1
Mr. Myco Moron

Loc: Shithole, USA
Re: double ended casing, dunking and invitro fruiting Q [Re: nesta]
    #1838456 - 08/21/03 08:46 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with nesta! When you flip your jars upside down, the heavier CO2 is pushed out the bottom and fresh air is sucked in to fill the empty airspace. By the way, if he was going to fruit invirto why did he use the double end verm tek? To help induce pinning, try cold shocking while dunking. Then hit with some light a 12 hours a day and give em air. This should get the pins rollin.

--------------------
How many times do I have to tell you, I was running through the woods and tripped on some mushrooms!!! Well, at least I'm not lying.:crazy:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation