Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch
    #18256695 - 05/13/13 08:26 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Sylvia Brown has a long history of discussion in this forum. She agreed to have her claimed powers tested under a controlled protocol OF HER DESIGN by the James Randi Educational Foundation. She made the promise on live TV in 2001, then she immediately reneged with a vitriolic attack on James Randi and the JREF. Does this sound familiar? It's standard procedure for these deluded people, but anyway...

Brown has for decades claimed to divine the fate of missing people. She is the ugliest kind of parasite: she charges grieving families wondering where there missing loved one is for a psychic reading. Not surprisingly, families desperate for any hope no matter how absurd, will pay her hundreds to thousands of dollars to make up a story for them. As expected, her accuracy record so far is equivalent to random chance.

So what prompted this thread is this quote from the Wiki entry for the women kidnapped by Ariel Castro:

Quote:

Berry was featured in a 2004 segment of America's Most Wanted (re-aired in 2005 and 2006) which linked her to Gina DeJesus, who by that point had also gone missing in Cleveland. They were profiled on The Oprah Winfrey Show and The Montel Williams Show, where self-described psychic Sylvia Browne told Miller in 2004 that her daughter Amanda was dead, and that she was "in water." This pronouncement caused Berry's mother to almost give up hope, take down pictures and give away her daughter's computer. Her health failed from the toll of her daughter's disappearance and she died three months later. Following Berry's escape, Browne received criticism for the false prediction.

and this:

Quote:

Sylvia Browne, a self-described spiritual teacher and psychic, has made a career out of prophetic readings and lectures. Back in 2004, Louwana Miller turned to Browne for help on an episode of "The Montel Williams Show." She wanted to know what happened to her daughter, Amanda Berry, who disappeared at 16 years old on April 21, 2003. The psychic told the mother Berry was dead.

"She’s not alive, honey," Browne said at the time, according to NBC affiliate WKYC's report on the segment. “Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call.”

Miller then asked Browne if she was ever wrong.

"Only God is right all the time but of course I’m wrong," Browne responded. "But after 50 years of doing this work, I’d better be more right than wrong. I always say I hope I’m wrong. When it comes to this, I hope I’m wrong."

Sure, she isn't 100% right by her own admission. That's great until you realize that she is only 50% right, like flipping a coin. And she knows this because the JREF has repeatedly tabulated her track record and shown the results to her. No doubt this is why she refuses to participate in a fair, open, public test of her claims under a protocol OF HER FUCKING DESIGN.

I don't know how this bitch lives with herself as she continues to charge people for her guessing services.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: Diploid]
    #18256716 - 05/13/13 08:33 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe you’ve seen the gravel-voiced Browne on "The Montel Williams Show." She appears there almost weekly, dispensing advice and connecting viewers with their loved ones on the “other side.” She commands a multimillion-dollar empire from her home base in California, deriving her fortune from in-person readings said to cost $700 and $200 for work over the phone. Her many businesses are advertised on a Web site that touts her fabulous abilities.

Unfortunately, they failed her on Tuesday night. She was in the middle of making predictions when Noory brought up the mining disaster.

Browne, who had just announced that John McCain would run against John Kerry in the next presidential campaign, was relieved to hear from Noory that all but one of the miners was alive.

Noory: "Had you been on the program today, would [you] have felt if — because they heard no sound — that this was a very gloomy moment — and that they might have all died?"

Browne: "No. I knew they were going to be found. I hate people that say something after the fact. It’s just like I knew when the pope was dead. Thank God I was on Montel’s show. I said, according to the time, it was 9-something and whatever Rome time was. And I said he was gone, and he was."

But the situation was fluid, something Browne — ahem! — obviously didn’t sense despite her claims of being able to speak to the dead, among other things. She couldn’t have imagined that within a short time, the entire story of the miners would change completely — and make her look very foolish indeed.

Noory soon announced that there were new reports that all but one of the miners was dead.

Browne — who was still in the studio taking questions from listeners — had to say something. Now she was just riffing: "I don’t think there’s anybody alive, maybe one. How crazy for them to report that they were alive when they weren’t!" Then she added: "I just don’t think they are alive." She cleared her throat, and there was a deafening pause.

Noory went to a commercial.

But that wasn’t all. Hanging over the show was a feeling of dread that Browne had shown herself to be without psychic ability, just the good sense to be quick and respond to news reports.

Returning from news and commercials for their last segment together, Noory tried to dig Browne out of her hole with a softball question. He asked: "With your accuracy rate so high ...."

Browne answered by injecting a non sequitur. Her earlier proclamation that she’d always known the miners were alive had obviously been worrying her.

She blurted: "I didn’t believe that they were alive."

Noory: "What’s that, the miners?"

Browne: "Yeah, I didn’t think — and see, I’ve been on the show with you, but I don’t think there’s any that are going to make it."

Noory: "They say there are 12 gone. I think we threw you a curveball, we were telling you after the fact."

Browne: "Yeah, no, I did believe that they were gone."

Browne has been criticized before, but she’s never actually outed herself . In March 2004, James Randi, aka The Amazing Randi, called Browne a liar on Paul Harris' popular St. Louis radio show. Randi continues to run a Million Dollar Challenge to Browne and others who speak to the dead, like John Edwards and James van Praagh, to put up or shut up — and give proof of their miraculous work. So far, no one has accepted.

Fox News

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

OfflineTmethylM
Smear in the shale
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #18256732 - 05/13/13 08:38 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Hold on here, maybe Berry was mentally dead and having a shower at the time of Browns reading.
Thus she was "dead" and "in water"

:canthelpbutlaugh:

--------------------
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #18256924 - 05/13/13 10:05 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

None of this is going to convince one irrational ego tripped self important, insecure true believer here and for the rest of us it's preaching to the choir. :haha:

I say let her take those fools to the cleaners. That kind of stupidity deserves it and the same for the fools here.  I frankly could care less at this point. 

Don't worry, be happy. :satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Loc: rainbow land
Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: Icelander] * 1
    #18256981 - 05/13/13 10:25 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

The Psychic Card reading Mrs. Cleo

The world is full of con-men & women that want your money & feed off of gullibility & the unkown.

Does this permanently  remove the possibility of what they claim as real? Not at all.

It just makes people more skeptical. Which isn't a bad thing, if the truth does ever come forward about these types of techniques, i believe that it will be evident.

The Cod's Doon't lie (Mrs. Cleo Accent)

Right now, all that it means, is that they were good at their con.

Does that mean that their is no way to communicate with the dead?

Could you first define communication in all its forms?

then define what "dead" is, what is the difference between a warm living walking breathing human being & a cold dead lifeless corpse?

also, define what it means to be living, in all of its forms...

Even a 50% chance of accurate readings/tellings depending on the information that is revealed & what was not, depending on the value & complexity of the information accurately being presented within the 50% success accurate rate.

I would take many other variables into consideration.

50% chance of it happening is a huge chance still, i thought jref was testing at accuracy of results to be @ 1:1000 & 1:10,000

--------------------
Icelander said: I'd like to fund unlimited abortions. Finally some good coming from my tax dollars.

Repetoire89 said: I love abortion and fully condone it - some should make it into a sport.

Treesniper119 said: Any one who is willing to start life & also willing to deny life to their form/seed/child/offspring is cursed.
For you have severed your own cord to lifes worth.
Anyone who condones these actions is cursed as well...

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: Icelander]
    #18257000 - 05/13/13 10:33 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

She was, imo, hardly good at her con.  I wasn't conned and no one else capable of real critical thinking was.  This is what separates the wheat from the chaff imo.

--------------------

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
    #18257037 - 05/13/13 10:41 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I say let her take those fools to the cleaners.

I agree to some extent, but I can't put all the blame on a desperate family who isn't thinking straight in the days after their loved one goes missing. The worst I've ever had to deal with was the disappearance of a cat I loved and that was hell. I can't imagine losing a son or daughter and what desperate, irrational things I might try to get them back. This ugly woman preys on people in that state of mind and has made millions by it.

None of this is going to convince one irrational ego tripped self important, insecure true believer here and for the rest of us it's preaching to the choir.

True enough, but I'm a crotchety old fart and there is satisfaction in bitching about things that won't ever change. :razz:

--------------------
Republican Values:

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18257040 - 05/13/13 10:42 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Diploid said:
Does this sound familiar? It's standard procedure for these deluded people, but anyway...

I don't see any familiarity, only a continuation of the troll posts you started in my thread, which you have so kindly linked.

Who is really deluded Diploid? The one who thinks he knows, when he does not, or the one who knows he does not know, but is fully aware of all possibilities?

If you believe you know everything about everything, i would say that your deluded diploid. Its standard procedure for someone who is deluded, to continually react like you are. It resonates with you deluded core beliefs. You can't stop thinking about it & Its kinda pathetic that you claim to be a true skeptic, yet you react so immaturely.

You link my topics into your OP rant because you couldn't hang with any type of laid back open minded discussions being presented in the other forums. So you feel the need to vent & melt down about it here, while adding a sort of back handed slap, to me, in the dark.

Diploid said:True enough, but I'm a crotchety old fart and there is satisfaction in bitching about things that won't ever change. :razz:
Really Classy Dip.
Especially for a mod on this site, in the psychology forum.
It speaks volumes about you, and now everyone can see it for themselves what it looks like when someone with tainted immature core beliefs are allowed to surface through their scientism.

to refer to belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or most valuable part of human learning to the exclusion of other viewpoints.[4] It has been defined as "the view that the characteristic inductive methods of the natural sciences are the only source of genuine factual knowledge and, in particular, that they alone can yield true knowledge about man and society."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Boooo:thumbdown:

--------------------
Icelander said: I'd like to fund unlimited abortions. Finally some good coming from my tax dollars.

Repetoire89 said: I love abortion and fully condone it - some should make it into a sport.

Treesniper119 said: Any one who is willing to start life & also willing to deny life to their form/seed/child/offspring is cursed.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18257048 - 05/13/13 10:45 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Well a missing child is an extreme case and one might understand leaving no stone unturned.  But most just use them for little things.

I'm amazed at some of my usually intelligent friends who cling to anything that might insure some afterlife for themselves. 

The fear of death and impermanence is strong.  Most succumb to irrationality as shields against it imo.

I think often the con artist first cons themselves before conning others. 

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18257064 - 05/13/13 10:48 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

You rational mind? It is also an ever building compendium of logical knowledge, beliefs, etc.

If your not willing to accept new paradigms, you will never learn anything beyond what you already knew, or thought you knew.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #18257070 - 05/13/13 10:50 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Brown is now on some juicing commercials with Williams because she is a picture of perfect health and makes a good role model.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18257082 - 05/13/13 10:52 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
She was, imo, hardly good at her con.  I wasn't conned and no one else capable of real critical thinking was.  This is what separates the wheat from the chaff imo.

It is Irrelevant whether or not you "thought" she was good or not. She conned millions and made millions of dollars. She didn't go to jail, but had to pay millions, which she had, cause she was good at her con.

Stay off the wheat & pass on the chaff.

I'm glad you survived Mrs. Cleo unscathed, welcome to the club.:lol:

--------------------

Edited by treesniper119 (05/13/13 11:00 AM)

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #18257097 - 05/13/13 10:56 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Brown is now on some juicing commercials with Williams because she is a picture of perfect health and makes a good role model.

When i was younger, I once saw mike tyson juice a whole carrot on a live tv infomercial:shrug:...at least, i thought it was live:sad:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: treesniper119]
    #18257600 - 05/13/13 12:57 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:
You rational mind? It is also an ever building compendium of logical knowledge, beliefs, etc.

If your not willing to accept new paradigms, you will never learn anything beyond what you already knew, or thought you knew.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

I don't accept bullshit paradigms. :shrug:  Most do.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18257609 - 05/13/13 12:59 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

It is Irrelevant whether or not you "thought" she was good or not. She conned millions and made millions of dollars. She didn't go to jail, but had to pay millions, which she had, cause she was good at her con.

Stay off the wheat & pass on the chaff.

I'm glad you survived Mrs. Cleo unscathed, welcome to the club.:lol:

She was a lousy con. Most people (the unwashed millions) are ignorant and stupid.  Almost anyone can con them and they do.

I've survived all the cons except those forced on me by my govt.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18257739 - 05/13/13 01:32 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:

I've survived all the cons except those forced on me by my govt.

So when the government banned cannabibs, made it a federal crime, & promulgated the lies about its effects to your generation.

By your own admissions, you would concede defeat to this con & the brainwashing that came from it.:shrug:

Well, that explains a lot about the bias peppered throughout you posts here.:facepalm3:

:haha:

--------------------

Edited by treesniper119 (05/13/13 01:37 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Psychic Sylvia Brown: JREF Reneger and Heartless Bitch [Re: treesniper119] * 3
    #18257796 - 05/13/13 01:43 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Who taught you to read and then comprehend what you've read?

I never conceded anything. I've used psychedelics for over 40 years.  I said that the govt forced their political cons on me (as a taxpayer).  As usual your posts are ignorant stoopid shit. :lol:

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18257825 - 05/13/13 01:52 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Concede - reluctantly accept something to be true: to admit or acknowledge something, often grudgingly or with reluctance

Like when you grudgingly posted:

"I've survived all the cons except those forced on me by my govt." ( your actual response didn't say you've used psychadelics for 40 years, or the taxpayer bit....but hey, you can only fool yourself:lol:.)

You are conceding that you have been conned in your life.

Is english your second language or something?

When i responded to your post, I related to exactly what you said, what it meant, with descriptions, & a hint of double entendre that we all have been entertaining since diploid knee-jerkingly made this post as a childish attempt to solidify his Cargo Cult science-esque illogic.

Quote:

Diploid said:
Does this sound familiar? It's standard procedure for these deluded people, but anyway...
:

You seem irate & ignorant of the fact that you just admitted to being conned by our government.

:haha:

--------------------

Edited by treesniper119 (05/13/13 01:59 PM)

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18258004 - 05/13/13 02:22 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I admitted that in my first post.  I however knew it was a con. Unlike most who have no idea. For example I knew the war in Viet Nam was bogus. I knew it it was a con. I still was forced to pay taxes that paid for that war or go to jail.

You'll soon be doing the same when you are old enough to work.

--------------------

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#18259299 - 05/13/13 06:13 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Hahaha, i own my own farm, i own my own house, my own cars. I'm paid up & I pay taxes bro. Your not that much older.:crazy2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder